Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

On the offshoot there are enough Devs that want to get Onto the Quest but for some reason or another cant, there currently is literally nothing stopping a 2nd sideloadable marketplace from formulating. Sure that could be looked down upon by Oculus, but overall as long as its not Oculus branded or anything and has to be side loaded, and doesn't carry games that are on the Oculus Store itself, I don't see it being blocked/removed if people want to tread into unknown waters. Oculus would just invalidate your warranty/not support any issues you may run into short of Hard Reset or something.

Hell SideQuest is well on it's way to doing just that.

And Lemming, you're not going to win against the Pigeons at this Chess game bud.

How the F do I keep sniping pages? I am unintentionally really good at it. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

Oddly enough I also score better with wands, I am not sure if that is some odd placebo or if it is because of the slightly more accurate tracking.

For me, its the shape and how I can hold them. I mean I'm scoring withing 5-10% on my quest. So its minor, but its the dif in 100 ranks in some cases. XD

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Controller shape does seem to play into accuracy in some games for sure. I notice on my Quest I am way better at Space Pirate Trainer with the railgun then I could every seem to get with the Vive wands. That and being completely untethered really makes that game enjoyable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Skyarb posted:

I agree with this. Even having used an index headset I am by far most excited for knuckles. Not just because I think they are an amazing controller but because I can finally use something that isn't a vive wand.

Whoever designed the grip buttons on the vive wand should probably be locked up.

And yet there were people in this thread claiming that the wands were so much better than the touch controllers simply because the touch controllers were made by Oculus, sorry, fAcEbOoK.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Cojawfee posted:

And yet there were people in this thread claiming that the wands were so much better than the touch controllers simply because the touch controllers were made by Oculus, sorry, fAcEbOoK.

Its one thing to say you'll take a hit on ergonomics to support a company you'd prefer to support but in a head to head between touch controls and vive wands its such a no-brainer. I don't think anyone of my collegues prefer the vive wands. They are terrible in every way. I also hate the track pad.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lemming posted:

Alternatively you could address the actual points I'm making, which I make an effort to back up, which includes giving opposing views a fair shake. Of course, it's much easier to just accuse people of being shills/fanboys so ultimately it's your life

wow typical shill response, nice "points" and "effort" and "shake" mr. zuccberg

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

LOL this thread

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

D1E posted:

LOL this thread

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

facebook bad

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

facebook bad

This but unironically (it's brain poison and gets people killed)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Good ol' VR thread, where everyone likes getting selectively outraged at billion dollar corporations.

Man, if people gave even 1% as much poo poo about say Nestle as they do about a stupid tech company...

Facebook is poo poo, they're alllll poo poo. Thats capitalism my dudes, listen to the 'hog.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Do you think valve would allow revolution sim VR edition where you guillotine tech CEOs in first person VR?

Or would that be considered "straight up trolling".

What if it was anime revolution sim VR edition?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lemming posted:

This but unironically (it's brain poison and gets people killed)

I wasn't being ironic, I just felt like stating the basic truth amongst the many :words:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

Do you think valve would allow revolution sim VR edition where you guillotine tech CEOs in first person VR?

Or would that be considered "straight up trolling".

What if it was anime revolution sim VR edition?

I'm going to make a VR game where you walk into my actual house and shoot me in the head. That's the entire game. It would be great because it's the only game I could make about shooting real people in real life settings that doesn't immediately make people think I'm going to actually do that. Because it's impossible for me to do that. But it's possible for someone else to do it.

It's art!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'm going to make a VR game where you walk into my actual house and shoot me in the head. That's the entire game. It would be great because it's the only game I could make about shooting real people in real life settings that doesn't immediately make people think I'm going to actually do that. Because it's impossible for me to do that. But it's possible for someone else to do it.

It's art!

This seems like a good modded Thief Simulator VR level.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hellsau posted:

This seems like a good modded Thief Simulator VR level.

The more I think about it, the creepier it becomes. Like, you'd meet someone in person that played your game and you'd know they killed you. And they'd remember killing you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KillHour posted:

The more I think about it, the creepier it becomes. Like, you'd meet someone in person that played your game and you'd know they killed you. And they'd remember killing you.

Add some lines where you beg for your life

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

KillHour posted:

Lemming posted:

Add some lines where you beg for your life

please add an alternate ending where they don't kill you and you both sit down to eat some crab rangoon and shoot some fuckin' guns

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But I don't like crab rangoon :ohdear:

Edit: I just realized if I did this on a Quest, I could play it in my actual house and walk up the stairs and poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Stick100 posted:

I fully expect either Onward or Pavlov will get rejected from getting into the Quest store and that will start a poo poo storm.

I'm going to guess Onward since that game is janky enough as-is on PC. I mean, poo poo, doesn't it still have framerate dependent movement speed and physics?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

I'm going to guess Onward since that game is janky enough as-is on PC. I mean, poo poo, doesn't it still have framerate dependent movement speed and physics?

Onward's for sure a lock, they announced a quest port during the VR League finals for Onward, which Oculus is bankrolling

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EdEddnEddy posted:

On the offshoot there are enough Devs that want to get Onto the Quest but for some reason or another cant, there currently is literally nothing stopping a 2nd sideloadable marketplace from formulating. Sure that could be looked down upon by Oculus, but overall as long as its not Oculus branded or anything and has to be side loaded, and doesn't carry games that are on the Oculus Store itself, I don't see it being blocked/removed if people want to tread into unknown waters. Oculus would just invalidate your warranty/not support any issues you may run into short of Hard Reset or something.

Hell SideQuest is well on it's way to doing just that.

And Lemming, you're not going to win against the Pigeons at this Chess game bud.

How the F do I keep sniping pages? I am unintentionally really good at it. :woop:

The problem is that sideloading is only really safe so long as it goes unnoticed. Any real widespread interest or emerging grey marketplace (eg; "donate to my patreon/paypal if you like my game!!") will almost certainly get sideloading killed stone dead by Oculus on general principle. You see the same thing happen to fan projects all the time.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Facebook is hardly immune from making mistakes, but it would be a bad tactical move to do something like greatly increase the barrier for developer access to their hardware. They'd basically be giving people a moral license to hack it, something that wouldn't be all that difficult considering underneath is stock Android and it's record on security isn't exactly stellar.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Facebook is hardly immune from making mistakes, but it would be a bad tactical move to do something like greatly increase the barrier for developer access to their hardware. They'd basically be giving people a moral license to hack it, something that wouldn't be all that difficult considering underneath is stock Android and it's record on security isn't exactly stellar.

I fully get where you're coming from, but you gotta remember that dev kits exist and Oculus aren't shy about just paying studios to make games for them. Killing side-loading doesn't magically make development go away, it just makes would-be developers play by Oculus' rules, which they would anyway come evaluation time. The Quest is also built on OpenXR anyway, so if someone REALLY has a poo poo-hot VR game idea there's nothing stopping them from starting in SteamVR and porting afterwards with some sales, bugfixes, and general polish from user feedback.

"A moral license to hack it" just puts the Quest in the same place hacked 3DS's and Wii's wound up; the vast majority of owners don't know or care, they just want a convenient game-playing device and it ultimately doesn't affect anything of note for them if it goes away. Side-loading a Quest simply is not A Thing, or ever likely going to be A Thing, outside of small communities like this one. Certainly isn't doing a whole lot to the Nintendo Switch even now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

homeless snail posted:

If you're accused of being a shill there's literally nothing you can say to convince people otherwise, defending yourself really only makes you look worse

There's nothing you can say to convince your accusers in a situation like that, but your accusers don't matter. What does matter (if you're, say, an influencer or someone who manages a community) is how third parties see things, and there are ways you can affect that. Being clearly transparent is a good one; for example it's vital to immediately be completely open about any compensation you've received from a company you're accused of shilling for, even if it's completely reasonable and above board. If people hear about that from you you appear honest and transparent; if they hear about it from someone else first you look scummy af.

Of course for those of us that're just some randos posting on the internet no-one cares what people think about our opinions so don't worry about it.

SCheeseman posted:

They could take the iOS route of charging for the ability to sideload; I think Apple still take $100 a year or something like that? That kind of money would be supposedly a non-issue for a serious developer but would very effectively dissuade people from sideloading another store. Of course as you say many people would just jailbreak in that situation.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The problem is that the barn door is open already. Traditional consoles usually benefit from security from obscurity at least for a while but the Quest is still Android underneath, the same tools that you use to debug an android smartphone work with the Quest. I've seen reports of people patching and replacing some system applications, getting on-device installation is only a matter of time.

I agree the general public generally avoids what is inconvenient, but even as it exists today SideQuest isn't really much more difficult than installing any other third party store on a PC. You plug your quest into a PC, run SideQuest, create a developer account, enable developer mode inside the headset then click an OK button within the headset once, after that you're installing applications from a UI. Signing up to Steam takes about as much effort as that, it's very low friction. There's ways to improve the experience further too like connecting an on-device application to the desktop app and pushing apks using adb over wifi.

The Wii and 3DS require a lot more messing about, though despite this Nintendo very much cared about Wii and 3DS hacking, mostly due to piracy, they just eventually gave up since their security model was fundamentally flawed and unfixable.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I fully get where you're coming from, but you gotta remember that dev kits exist and Oculus aren't shy about just paying studios to make games for them.
Not doing this kills the potential market from hitting a virtuous cycle but doing this too much ensures no cycle formed will be reliably virtuous.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Killing side-loading doesn't magically make development go away, it just makes would-be developers play by Oculus' rules, which they would anyway come evaluation time.
"evaluation time" is more like "evaluation time*line*/long-term process". Also, word on studios that do PSVR dev - even exclusives - is that they often develop on PC since that's easier/more comfortable/generally more useful and productive.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Quest is also built on OpenXR anyway, so if someone REALLY has a poo poo-hot VR game idea there's nothing stopping them from starting in SteamVR and porting afterwards with some sales, bugfixes, and general polish from user feedback.
You sure? I don't think OpenXR is fully A Thing yet for developers. Go supports Vulkan so Quest would too so maybe that's what you're thinking of, because Vulkan is usable on Windows too (and thus as portable as you can make it given sufficient hardware resources).

But most VR games seem to be on Unity or Unreal anyways, and all game engines are alike up to a point. In the end the math is largely the same, on the same hardware, so other than gluing your simulation to DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan/Metal etc. and all the little details and integrations, a disciplined codebase should be rather portable (if work on the engine outlives the game's sales lifetime).

SCheeseman posted:

The problem is that the barn door is open already. Traditional consoles usually benefit from security from obscurity at least for a while but the Quest is still Android underneath, the same tools that you use to debug an android smartphone work with the Quest. I've seen reports of people patching and replacing some system applications, getting on-device installation is only a matter of time.
Specifically, consoles traditionally benefited from strict NDAs and extremely locked down dev kit hardware, with an entirely private and entirely custom toolchain. PS3 development sucked but the Xbox basically just ran (and runs) Windows. Nobody seems to have time for poo poo *that* custom anymore, except maybe Nintendo (but then again they did basically build an nvidia shield minus the software) and Apple. Quest runs Android with some VR APIs sprinkled on top, right? There's very little mystery to how that'd work so locking it down iOS-style seems like a fool's errand.
:goonsay:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

The Wii and 3DS require a lot more messing about, though despite this Nintendo very much cared about Wii and 3DS hacking, mostly due to piracy, they just eventually gave up since their security model was fundamentally flawed and unfixable.

Can't wait for frequent stability updates for the Quest to block whatever stuff Neddy thinks Facebook cares about blocking.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 13, 2019

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Taintrunner posted:

The mod scene for Blade & Sorcery has taken off, adding new weapons from Nier:A, World of Warcraft, The Witcher 3, and uh, of course, the Gunblade from FF8: https://www.nexusmods.com/bladeandsorcery/mods/?BH=0

Also multiple pistols. Which are fun for John Wick practice.
Looks like Captain America shield is a thing too.

And it seems next version will support Vive foot trackers for proper kicking.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

There's nothing you can say to convince your accusers in a situation like that, but your accusers don't matter. What does matter (if you're, say, an influencer or someone who manages a community) is how third parties see things, and there are ways you can affect that. Being clearly transparent is a good one; for example it's vital to immediately be completely open about any compensation you've received from a company you're accused of shilling for, even if it's completely reasonable and above board. If people hear about that from you you appear honest and transparent; if they hear about it from someone else first you look scummy af.

Of course for those of us that're just some randos posting on the internet no-one cares what people think about our opinions so don't worry about it.

This is the entire problem with bringing it up, it's a bad faith discussion intended to shut down discussion on the topic at hand with an ad hominem attack. It was massively successful for him though, so well done for playing along.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
somre more fuel for the nerdfight fire: https://uploadvr.com/jason-rubin-oculus-quest-index-rift-go/

(or maybe a fire retardant?)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Virtual desktop streaming VR is on sidequest. You still need to buy it on oculus store for it to work.

Anything new coming out this week on quest?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Stick100 posted:

I fully expect either Onward or Pavlov will get rejected from getting into the Quest store and that will start a poo poo storm.

https://twitter.com/davevillz/status/1139214138557829123

Make of that what you will.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Reminds me of all the people griping about how Steam should curate its store and completely forgetting that they used to and it became a make it or break it moment for developers over what would get accepted.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

I think the reason for this one is a bit different. I think they blacklisted him because they wanted him to do some stuff for rift and he said no.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

I think the reason for this one is a bit different. I think they blacklisted him because they wanted him to do some stuff for rift and he said no.

They're in the petty revenge business now? I'd love to get the backstory on this, lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Harminoff posted:

The story of this one is a little more involved, I think. It's definitely not clear what happened but here's the gist as far as I know

Thread where an Oculus person went into a discord channel (assuming it's the Pavlov one) and indicated they had been trying to get in contact with him about getting him a Quest for a while, but he wasn't responding/didn't see:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bgmaqz/per_pavlov_developer_dave_pavlov_will_not_be/elmb3mj/

Here's the H3VR dev talking about some of the standards that Oculus has for releasing stuff in their store, which includes removing all Steam specific code (just for context about what a Rift port would have involved):

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/byzo5f/announcing_meat_fortress_a_ridiculous_update_for/eqohgys/

Here's the Pavlov dev saying he's the one who contacted them about a dev kit (?) and indicated it seemed like they wanted him to put it on the PC Oculus store as well but he didn't want to, so then he refused the dev kit

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bznw9x/place_your_bets_on_pavlov_lol/eqwlg9d/

I don't know, it's a very muddled situation.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

This is really stupid of them. You know, MAYBE their thinking is partially that Onward is coming and they don't want two similar games and they have a better relationship with Dante, but thats a crap reason even if its the case. Military shooters are popular across gaming and have been forever, and as adorable as some of the announced cute puzzle and artistic games are, having something like pavlov even in addition to onward would do a helluva lot more for attraction from gamers. Dumb.

EDIT: The one thing I will say about Pavlov, even more than Onward, that a lot of indie games share, is basically 100% bought assets from unity store. Same thing with another rejected game VRigate or something like that, that was 100% unity assets. I have a suspicion that maybe they're really hard on stuff that has no real artistic direction behind it. I dunno.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, IMO, Oculus can just gently caress off.