Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Wow, responding to a girlfriend's request for emotional openness with an Austin Powers quote may be the worst advice I've ever seen.

it's really amazing how much of their idea of how to interact with other people is obviously lifted from movies, like they're out there doing frame-by-frame breakdowns of Crank to better comprehend how Chev Chellios turns his girlfriend on

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

PostNouveau posted:

Wow, responding to a girlfriend's request for emotional openness with an Austin Powers quote may be the worst advice I've ever seen.

the people who that advice is aimed at dont really think of relationships in a normal way, they're purely transactional to them. so in that context it makes a lot of sense. its terrible, but if you dehumanize women and think about them as a computer that will give you a pre determined set of outputs you desire if you feed it the correct inputs, it makes a lot of sense

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Palpek posted:

Hmm after re-reading they should probably just go to a neurologist asap. It could have been a stroke or something similar, I read some insane examples of patient symptoms some time ago.

Chester's Agnosia

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

MasBrillante posted:

That’s what all unsolicited comments sound like. After a while “do you have five minutes for the rain forest” sounds like “hey girl, can I be your daddy?” - a real thing, said to me multiple times by various ages of men.
One day I headed out for lunch, and apparently a coworker I'm friendly with left the building like 30 seconds after me. He tried to catch up and say oh hey, and he ended up trying to get my attention for an entire block before it occurred to him to use my name. I literally didn't even register anything before that

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anne Whateley posted:

One day I headed out for lunch, and apparently a coworker I'm friendly with left the building like 30 seconds after me. He tried to catch up and say oh hey, and he ended up trying to get my attention for an entire block before it occurred to him to use my name. I literally didn't even register anything before that

I met my father somewhere in the city recently and he was late, so I went to a coffee shop up the street with my friends. I felt someone approaching me from behind quickly and almost turned around and punched him right in the neck.

I forgot to add: he said he yelled at me for a block but obviously I completely tuned it out.

MasBrillante fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 12, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I like how, regardless of context, seeing a guy in buddhist robes makes me think "fake monk in costume asking for money" before, you know, "actual monk".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is it ok to compliment a woman's dress/shirt/hair style? My only motive is to increase their happiness.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

Is it ok to compliment a woman's dress/shirt/hair style? My only motive is to increase their happiness.

You can compliment any changeable, deliberate part of a person's appearance. "That's a great shirt" is fine. "That shirt makes you look good" is questionable. "That's a great butt" is very not fine. Oh, and don't say anything about their smile.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I was out walking with a guy friend the other day and a woman walked up on us saying "Hey baby!", and for a second it looked like she was talking to my friend, but was actually addressing someone behind him. Friend said "That was so weird, to have a stranger just come up and start talking like that," and I said "this is how you know you're a dude." He got very quiet.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Beachcomber posted:

Just don't compliment anyone. Don't insult them either. Don't speak to people at all, people are terrifying and they might make eye contact with you, which is abuse

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

i vomit kittens posted:

Also important to note that the phrase "I have a boyfriend" is also considered a poo poo test to redpillers because the girl is obviously just trying to see whether you're a pussy who will stop advancing after that.

also, literally every time a woman says anything other than "I want you inside me."

it's poo poo tests all the way down fellas

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I Was The Fury posted:

Just don't compliment anyone. Don't insult them either. Don't speak to people at all, people are terrifying and they might make eye contact with you, which is abuse

This is why I wear sunglasses at all times. They make me feel safe.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

AITA for having an internal hatred of attractive people?

quote:

I'm just jealous of them. I think they are automatically liked more by people and they'll automatically be respected more by people. I don't know, I'm automatically repulsed by seeing an attractive person. I won't say anything to them or do anything to them, and I'll still be friendly to them if they are friendly to me, but I'll resent them internally very much. I think they're automatically better than me the moment they're born

EDIT: I don't talk to attractive people but if they are the ones who initiate being friendly to me, I'll try to talk to them

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

hedge your bets and say all your compliments in a really sarcastic tone of voice

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

xtal posted:

You can compliment any changeable, deliberate part of a person's appearance. "That's a great shirt" is fine. "That shirt makes you look good" is questionable. "That's a great butt" is very not fine. Oh, and don't say anything about their smile.
Butts can be changed and are often done so deliberately.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
"you look like you could kill a man who doesn't kiss your feet" is the only way to compliment a ladey's feets without making it sound like you want her big toe in ur urethra

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gone Fashing posted:

the people who that advice is aimed at dont really think of relationships in a normal way, they're purely transactional to them. so in that context it makes a lot of sense. its terrible, but if you dehumanize women and think about them as a computer that will give you a pre determined set of outputs you desire if you feed it the correct inputs, it makes a lot of sense
The misogyny is one thing but I also believe most MRAs are morons socially. They have to get a conversation broken down into phases and recognizable patterns with names attached to them because otherwise they can't follow them like a normal human. A concept of somebody teasing them but not doing it to insult them is so dumbfounding that they can only process it in :biotruths: terms.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I did wonder if Cheeto amnesia guy is trying the "if you always gently caress up at doing something, they'll stop asking you to do it" trick, but that doesn't make much sense when he's the one asking if she wants something. He's either got mental problems or he's playing some sort of four-dimensional chess metagame trick that we mere mortals can't hope to comprehend.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 12, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

PostNouveau posted:

I'm a big "fan" of responding to a request for emotional openness with "okay, I'll start screaming and crying," because it says so much about the advice-giver

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

My girlfriend asked me to be more emotionally open but acted like a loving bitch when I told her that I live in constant fear and misery because I hate her and the entire gender that I accuse her of representing. SHE DOESNT EVEN BUY THE DINOSAUR NUGGETS I HATE HER SHES JUST LIKE MOTHER

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I Was The Fury posted:

My girlfriend asked me to be more emotionally open but acted like a loving bitch when I told her that I live in constant fear and misery because I hate her and the entire gender that I accuse her of representing. SHE DOESNT EVEN BUY THE DINOSAUR NUGGETS I HATE HER SHES JUST LIKE MOTHER

If you can stomach nuggets, and don't get the dinosaur shaped ones, I don't even want to know you.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Palpek posted:

The misogyny is one thing but I also believe most MRAs are morons socially. They have to get a conversation broken down into phases and recognizable patterns with names attached to them because otherwise they can't follow them like a normal human. A concept of somebody teasing them but not doing it to insult them is so dumbfounding that they can only process it in :biotruths: terms.

for sure, thats why it appeals to nerds so much. when i was in mid/high school, before pua culture was well known, there was a website, sosuave.com that broke all this stuff down. everyone who posted there was a hopeless nerd

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
the previous was extremely poorly thought out and should be disregarded with prejudice

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 12, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

tactlessbastard posted:

What on Earth happened that your parents can't sit through one dinner together 30+ years later? Gatdamn

Boomers can't prioritize anyone's happiness over their own, even for one day, no matter how little effort it takes.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bag of Hamsters posted:

You're a diamond. Keep working your sparkle, dood.

srsly this thread has taught me to lay off my wife when she's finger deep in her cell phone games because bless her she needs one thing in the world that isn't either making GBS threads on her or trying to gently caress her or trying to gently caress her poo poo with her own feet. i just give her a lil smooch on the head and get back to trying to eat crayons or wtf ever it is i do

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you're not sure if it's alright to compliment a woman, try complimenting their boyfriend or husband. Let them know they picked a fine man with a tight rear end or a nice bulge. Ask if you can cup their balls and feel the future babies inside.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

It was super nice of him, for sure! But I don't want these babies. They are sick and underage and I know they will probably die super young

Sounds like a self solving problem tbqh

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

tactlessbastard posted:

What on Earth happened that your parents can't sit through one dinner together 30+ years later? Gatdamn
Not you in particular, but everyone is like "sheesh get along after a breakup, just be adults!!" but nobody thinks of the vegetable rape guy

I mean, who knows what happened, but if exes absolutely won't be in the same space, there may be some perfectly legit reasons that they didn't want to share with their kids

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Not you in particular, but everyone is like "sheesh get along after a breakup, just be adults!!" but nobody thinks of the vegetable rape guy

I mean, who knows what happened, but if exes absolutely won't be in the same space, there may be some perfectly legit reasons that they didn't want to share with their kids

Good point!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Beachcomber posted:

Boomers can't prioritize anyone's happiness over their own, even for one day, no matter how little effort it takes.

Yet they expect everyone in their kids' generation to get along, and 'get over it' if they have a problem with another guest.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Palpek posted:

a lot of the PUA stuff is just operant conditioning that works on us as well as on any mammal, but marketed to guys who want to believe they're a special boy who's shed all that is not Facts and Logic so they need this whole cosmology of how this poo poo only works because women are some kind of subsentient ant-creature with sci-fi alien thought processes, one could never possibly play the discerning consumer of redpill poo poo the same way

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 12, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Anne Whateley posted:

If it was vegetable rape tier, the kids should know so they can limit contact appropriately.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how with wedding stories, it might not always be clear who THE rear end in a top hat is, but there always is one. The truth is never in the middle. It’s always one party being selfish and uncompromising as gently caress. I think it might be narcissism. Like weddings are hunting grounds for them and they go straight for the weakest target as soon as the invites are out.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

If it was vegetable rape tier, the kids should know so they can limit contact appropriately.

people seriously never talk about that poo poo when it happens, and if they did I'm pretty sure folks who've never been directly involved in something like that would be blown away by what all their neighbors, uncles, and friends have been getting up to

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MasBrillante posted:

I like how with wedding stories, it might not always be clear who THE rear end in a top hat is, but there always is one. The truth is never in the middle. It’s always one party being selfish and uncompromising as gently caress. I think it might be narcissism. Like weddings are hunting grounds for them and they go straight for the weakest target as soon as the invites are out.

When I got married I was unfortunately in the middle of a custody dispute. I was freshly court ordered permanent guardian of my sister's 5 yo and I was being sued by her father's parents.

Grandma D put on the Paula Deen-esque front as genial matriarch but was a royal pain in the rear end, generally unpleasant and vindictive person who was our main point of contact for the shared custody

The weekend of our wedding, in which said kid was our flower girl, D called during our rehearsal dinner (twice), the morning of the wedding (to try to renegotiate our next drop off time) and during the wedding (twice, leaving messages about calling the judge because we were avoiding her)

My sister getting her poo poo together and getting her kid back is one of the best things in my life but a close second is now being able to tell D to go gently caress herself anytime she wants anything.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

MasBrillante posted:

I think it's the combination of weddings being a big important shift in your relationship with the bride and groom, and anyone who isn't an enormous flaming rear end in a top hat is going to suck it up and compromise during a wedding.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

MasBrillante posted:

Weddings are also large public gatherings that are specifically about someone in particular: the people getting married. As narcissists are completely unable to handle anything that doesn't revolve around them, they can't help but impose on the proceedings further and further, until either the whole thing somehow becomes about them and their demands or the people getting married bar them from attendance.

Weddings are honeypot traps for all kinds of personality issues, really. Something about the looming finality of that approaching date and all the social and financial pressure brings all the suppressed poo poo to the surface until it explodes into a glorious firestorm of emotional devastation.

Ref: this thread

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

tactlessbastard posted:

I can kind of sympathize with the guy but I wouldn’t go that far. If my daughter’s wedding was tomorrow, I’d probably have trouble sitting down to dinner with her mom so I feel a little empathy. I’d do it if my daughter wanted but it would be awkward.

Some context and I guess content for why you don’t ignore warning signs, never give cheaters a second chance, and if people don’t contribute then you shouldn’t let them walk all over you. I realize after writing this it could be a /r/relationships post.

It’s been 8 years since my ex and I split after I discovered she has cheated on me with multiple people including her boss. She had been claiming to work late or on weekends for months. She left me to be the sole caregiver of our daughter while I was going to law school and working. We had also been living on my inheritance while I was in school because she refused to get a job while pregnant or for a year after. Our daughter was in daycare and I dropped her off, picked her up, did the shopping, and almost all the chores as well. So she basically contributed nothing. Yes, I was a doormat.

When I found out and told her we were done and to get out. So she called the cops, made up some bullshit that I was violent and threatening her, got me arrested and lied through her teeth trying to get me charged so that she could take our daughter and money. I beat all the charges and got full custody with her having the minimum visitation for the state because:
1. Allegations were bullshit
2. She trashed the apartment we lived in after I was forced to leave so badly that the landlord had to replace all the carpets. She literally sat in cat poo poo for months
3. She had zero evidence or witnesses that could state she had ever been a caregiver for our daughter.
4. She and her boyfriend who now lived together (her former boss; they both got fired for the affair) had no place for the kid to stay, no guest bedrooms despite the fact he had kids he had visitation of as well.
5. She had no way to support herself after getting fired from her job for the affair
6. Her “character” witnesses were her mom who lost her nursing license for stealing pills, abandoned her at birth to her grandparents, lives 500 miles away and hadn’t seen her for two years before we split; and her boyfriend. Her mom came to court in a 80s metal t-shirt, shorts, flips flops, and was high as gently caress. The mom was slurring answers to questions.
7. She refused to settle before court to 50/50 custody because I wasn’t giving her all the money and property and wanted her to pay for the apartment she trashed.

To this day, my ex never admits any fault and always plays the victim every chance she gets. We have given her multiple chances to be more involved but she fucks all of them up:
We’ve had to block her on all social media because she stalks us and takes pictures from my wife’s social media of our daughter, edits them, and reposts them as if they were her own with stories. Until this last year, she exercised less than half her minimal visitation (2 weekends a month).
We tried inviting her to my daughter’s birthday this year. She went around and introduced her self to all the guests as my wife and tried to take charge of the party.

All of this could have been avoided too if I had severed when she “emotionally cheated” the first time with someone she met online. We broke up for 6 months during college but I gave her a second chance at my family’s request. The moral of the story is always dump cheaters and gently caress what your family has to say about it.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Beachcomber posted:

If you can stomach nuggets, and don't get the dinosaur shaped ones, I don't even want to know you.

i cant even find shaped nuggets in the store here. i gotta pretend the weird lump shapes are stuff. like looking at clouds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I (36m) have an age old question before marriage to my fiancée (34f) that may cause undesired side effects
Me (M/36) and my future wife (F/34) have talked about everything and been together for about 18 months; we’re engaged now. Talked about everything; Except one thing. How many guys she’s been with and if I measures up. I said that I’d want to know the first one, but unsure if I’d want to know where I rank in length. LOL. What is the communities thoughts or previous advice? Is this something that should be “cleared” before entering into a marriage or “a woman should have a few secrets?” I guess I have some insecurities and seeking community help.

TL;DR! Should I ask my future spouse how many people she’s been with and where I stack up amongst her past?

[Update] I got a lot of really good replies and feedback in a short amount of time. I appreciate the community and respect all of your advice. I’m actually going to take it also! I don’t need to make trouble where this is none was the most salient point. My insecurity, while on the low side of really impacting my life or future, cane from bad past experiences. I asked all of you so I wouldn’t make a bad decision with the great thing I have going on. And I need to respectfully disagree with the comment that I’m sexist. My future wife had brought up this scenario and asked how many people I’d been with in the past few months. I am happy and committed to her and she is to me. Again, I appreciate all of your feedback and I will act as a “almost 40 year old.” ;-)

Ahh yes, that age old question. Can I blow up my marriage before it even starts?

Now truthfully, he seems to have figured out to not ask the question, but with the fact that he even wanted to ask it, I think this problem may come back.