Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DrNutt posted:

Good lord Pharos in FF12 is such a momentum killer. Why they decided this needed to be right after the Giruvegan Crystal dungeon is beyond me. Thank Christ the Zodiac Age version has autosaving at area transitions so you can break it up into bite size chunks.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's where my playthrough is stuck, yeah.

I swear I'll finish it one of these days.

Pharos is the final dungeon- No shut I know the Bahamut exists, it's not a dungeon, it's like two screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Onmi posted:

Pharos is the final dungeon- No shut I know the Bahamut exists, it's not a dungeon, it's like two screens.

Which is really weird and makes FF12's pacing really hosed up, because there's potentially a whole other game's worth of optional content to tackle afterward. Places to explore that you will never even be sent during the plot.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

jokes posted:

Emerald/Ruby are pretty iconic since they're out there and apparent and everyone died to them at least once.

I've never beaten FF7 because I keep getting to the final part of the last dungeon, thinking " I should go beat the two weapons", try a few times and fail and then lose interest in the game. Literally have a save sitting there right now....

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

Emerald/Ruby are pretty iconic since they're out there and apparent and everyone died to them at least once.

Emerald Weapon was the stuff of nightmares when I first played as a kid. Sitting in the sub afraid to dive down for fear of Emerald Weapon barreling towards me as soon as the screen fades back or getting out of the crashed sunken plane only for the creature to be hovering literally right in front of it.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

What're people's favorite optional superboss? I guess Emmy might really win out for me because of what the poster above said, having a real menacing presence that they never really do with a bunch of the other superbosses

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Shinryu and Omega have a good one two punch.

One just roaming out in the overworld as a Sprite and then after that you think your safe and open a chest and just get owned.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Merilan posted:

What're people's favorite optional superboss? I guess Emmy might really win out for me because of what the poster above said, having a real menacing presence that they never really do with a bunch of the other superbosses

UCOB is a really incredible experience overall, it never lets up

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

UCOB is a really incredible experience overall, it never lets up

Ultimut and UWU are some pretty crazy visual spectacles, yeah.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

sadly I probably will never see them, I'm just too exhausted to ever raid in an MMO again let alone hard raids

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfKgU1jJtbE

As hard as it must be to play these songs live I feel it when there is even the slightest mistimed note. I know all these songs too well.

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 12, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite superboss in terms of visual and presentation is probably King Thordin EX or Shinryu EX.

My favorite in terms of being actually run to fight is probably Shinryu EX.

My favorite in a single player game is honestly probably Bhunivelze+. Lightning Returns' combat system is fun enough that the battle isn't just Use Omnislash And Win which helps a lot.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think anything is ever going to beat Absolute Virtue.

Did AV ever make the news because it made players throw up and pass out due to fight length because if not I think Pandemonium Warden has him beat

Even my dad, who could give a flying poo poo about video games, mentioned that news to me when it happened

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
AV did have hilarious drama though

like Japanese linkshells siccing clueless GMs on North American players who were fighting it, telling them their claim would be pulled if the paladin didnt put away their earth staff tanking gear and swing a sword

Was AV ever legitimately beaten in 75 cap? I remember when it was finally revealed how you were supposed to legitimately beat him it turned out there was actually too much lag between North America and Japan to actually accomplish it

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Am I the only person who just hated Midgar and always looked forward to getting outta that lovely city whenever I played FF7?

Simply can't wait for a super HD realistic graphics of a skyless depressing slum, oh but now it's 40 hours long too. Seems like a big mistake to just mash all of the gray in the world into one game.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The only track on the VIIR OST should be “Underneath the Rotting Pizza” played on loop for 40 hours. Don’t even reorchestrate it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just want to know how loving spoopy Shinra Tower is going to be. The atmsosphere and tension when you realize something has gone wrong and there's blood everywhere was really well done in the original imho!!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DrNutt posted:

Good lord Pharos in FF12 is such a momentum killer. Why they decided this needed to be right after the Giruvegan Crystal dungeon is beyond me. Thank Christ the Zodiac Age version has autosaving at area transitions so you can break it up into bite size chunks.

Hell, by the time I got to the Bahamut I had completely lost what the Hell the plot even was by then.

It probably didn't help that I mucked around doing side stuff for a while.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

esperterra posted:

I just want to know how loving spoopy Shinra Tower is going to be. The atmsosphere and tension when you realize something has gone wrong and there's blood everywhere was really well done in the original imho!!

sadly in order to preserve the spooky atmosphere they're probably gonna have to remove those weird floating teacups that have old men popping out of them.

either that, or /double down on it/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There really isnt a lot of plot in FF12. Its basically 3 fetch quests except at the end of the third one the party goes nah, lets not, and then just storms the final boss fight and kills him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

There really isnt a lot of plot in FF12. Its basically 3 fetch quests except at the end of the third one the party goes nah, lets not, and then just storms the final boss fight and kills him.

Accurate. Most of the big events happen in cutscenes that your party has nothing to do with, and realistically no way of knowing about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

FF12 goals:
Get proof of lineage --> get to diplomatic meeting --> screw diplomacy, get nukes --> screw nukes, get even.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i think people would like ff12's pacing more if the trek to archades wasn't just traveling through like three or four different areas with nothing happening

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the ogir yensa sandsea

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

XII would be my favorite except for Pharos gets so shoehorned into the plot. I remember the first time playing through it and expecting hours more of plot and game ahead of me, but wait somehow I’m fighting Vayne despite never meeting him or establishing really how he knows about the Occuria and all of Cid’s shenanigans and what the drat hell rear end the game is beaten?

Hearing about the production cockups with Matsuno after the fact made the abrupt end make sense but it still sucks .

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TurnipFritter posted:

i think people would like ff12's pacing more if the trek to archades wasn't just traveling through like three or four different areas with nothing happening

I think it was either after the Ghis or Bergen fight your crew is like 'okay, we gotta head west, then go through the woods, trek through these catacombs and then sneak into Archades!'

Even though I was just running the controller I was like 'poo poo, I gotta walk all that way?!'

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The first time I attempted to play through all of XII (I still haven't finished it after all these years, despite numerous tries) I just dropped it like a hot potato in the loving sandsea.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

It’s weird, my favorite thing about XII are all of the different areas.

For some reason I love that drat sandsea. They’re long as balls, but I love em’

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Merilan posted:

Ozma is the perfect superboss for me. Most of the others are just big blobs of HP, but Ozma is just 65k and change. You could theoretically kill it in 7 character actions. Ozma does have an extremely deadly arsenal of attacks, but all of them can be countered in some way.

Also, the FF14 Ozma fight is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIM-Zo2xsNw

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

Ozma is the perfect superboss for me. Most of the others are just big blobs of HP, but Ozma is just 65k and change. You could theoretically kill it in 7 character actions. Ozma does have an extremely deadly arsenal of attacks, but all of them can be countered in some way.

Also, the FF14 Ozma fight is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIM-Zo2xsNw

oh so /that's/ why i saw a guy with a mount that looked like ozma

i didn't know he was a fight in this game lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like the sandseas personally, but I think it's kind of objectively lovely to push players through several more hours of desert when like the first several hours of "getting to know the game" has you bouncing between Estersand and Westersand, with a detour through some loving sewers of all things. Then like half the other environments in the game are just various dungeons. I think 12 shines when it gives you beautiful, wide open spaces with kickin rad music (oh hello Phon Coast).

e: I just picked up FF14 again and I think that's what I like about it. A bunch of beautiful scenery and great tunes. Is there some sort of catch up guide if you haven't played in a while? I leveled a character up to fifty probably over a year ago but feel completely lost going back to them. I started a new character but I'm not sure I really want to do the 1-50 grind again.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Sandsea isn't that bad if you're playing a Zodiac version of the game with the 2x speed feature, but I admit "it's not that bad if you're literally get through it in half the time it would have taken in a normal version" isn't a sign of a successfully designed area.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DrNutt posted:

I like the sandseas personally, but I think it's kind of objectively lovely to push players through several more hours of desert when like the first several hours of "getting to know the game" has you bouncing between Estersand and Westersand, with a detour through some loving sewers of all things. Then like half the other environments in the game are just various dungeons. I think 12 shines when it gives you beautiful, wide open spaces with kickin rad music (oh hello Phon Coast).

e: I just picked up FF14 again and I think that's what I like about it. A bunch of beautiful scenery and great tunes. Is there some sort of catch up guide if you haven't played in a while? I leveled a character up to fifty probably over a year ago but feel completely lost going back to them. I started a new character but I'm not sure I really want to do the 1-50 grind again.

If you're just feeling rusty gameplay-wise, I'd say teleport to Quarrymill on your old character and run Palace of the Dead till it all comes back to you. If you're lost story-wise, best I can really say is just read your Journal or look up a recap somewhere. Whether you're starting fresh or just continuing, doing the MSQ is still the best way of progression though. You could just buy a skip potion with real money, but I feel like you'd still feel lost since it'll drop every skill on you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Allarion posted:

If you're just feeling rusty gameplay-wise, I'd say teleport to Quarrymill on your old character and run Palace of the Dead till it all comes back to you. If you're lost story-wise, best I can really say is just read your Journal or look up a recap somewhere. Whether you're starting fresh or just continuing, doing the MSQ is still the best way of progression though. You could just buy a skip potion with real money, but I feel like you'd still feel lost since it'll drop every skill on you.

Thanks, a little of both. Plus bouncing between PC and PS4 hasn't done me any favors with muscle memory. I should probably just go back to my old char and try to derust myself I think.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Merilan posted:

oh so /that's/ why i saw a guy with a mount that looked like ozma

i didn't know he was a fight in this game lol

There's actually two Ozma fights in XIV.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The FF12 version on PS4 lets you play at double speed making the world traversal BULLSHIT way more tolerable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Merilan posted:

In an FF game? That's a tough one.

I like Trema from FFX-2. You fight monster after monster in this huge dungeon and then the best of them all is a little old monk. His boss theme is also the New Yevon Theme which added an extra special touch to me.

Yuna: I realize that losing my past would mean losing myself.
Trema: Tell me, High Summoner Yuna, where is the "loss" in that?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FF12 has Gilgamesh.

Maybe not a superboss but it was pretty great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm the kind of player who makes a team of his favorite characters and ignores everybody else. This is just how I roll in most every JRPG. But I'm starting FFVII again and I hate the fact Aerith has become my favorites. I used to be a Tifa fan when I first played the game 17 years ago but these days Aerith is always in my party.

Until...ya know. I wonder if "Aerith dies" is an actual spoiler with the remake coming? Maybe some people honestly don't know and we'll see them screaming at Square via social media whenever FFVIIR Part 2 comes out.

Anyway, I hate it. Spend all that time building her up and getting used to having her around and then she's just gone forever. A few months ago I inquired into if characters dying was less common in JRPGs now and if the reason was that devs had potentially lost their nerve. Well, If FFVII was a legitimately new game that was just coming out now, I'd probably be on Twitter raging with everybody else at Square for taking Aerith away. Not because she's my waifu (although...) but because I'm a creature of habit and suddenly losing a favorite party member is very upsetting.

Maybe this is the first run ever I could really use Barret, Red or even Cait Sith more. I always use Cloud, Yuffie and Aerith and then later on Vincent when Aerith is dead and I'm not playing a mod that lets me keep her. For my run of the FFVII Hardcore mod a few years ago I did actually use Cid for my main party later on which was nice and different.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 13, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm the kind of player who makes a team of his favorite characters and ignores everybody else. This is just how I roll in most every JRPG.

But I'm starting FFVII again and I hate the fact Aerith has become my favorite. I used to be a Tifa fan when I first played the game 17 years ago but these days Aerith is always in my party.

Until...ya know. I wonder if "Aerith dies" is an actual spoiler with the remake coming? Maybe some people honestly don't know and we'll see them screaming at Square via social media whenever FFVIIR Part 2 comes out.

Anyway, I hate it. Spend all that time building her up and getting used to having her around and then she's just gone forever. A few months ago I inquired into if characters dying was less common in JRPGs now and if the reason was that devs had potentially lost their nerve. Well, If FFVII was a legitimately new game that was just coming out now, I'd probably be on Twitter raging with everybody else at Square for taking Aerith away. Not because she's my waifu (although...) but be cause I'm a creature of habit and suddenly losing a favorite party member is very upsetting.

Maybe this is the first run ever I could really use Barret, Red or even Cait Sith more. I always use Cloud, Yuffie and Aerith and then later on Vincent when Aerith is dead and I'm not playing a mod that lets me keep her.

JRPGs which kill off/permanently remove party members have fallen into two kind of ways of doing it.

1: the party member is very obviously going to die from the beginning and is not a fully fleshed-out or unique character, gameplay-wise. You also don't actually have them for very long. Like imagine if Aeris only had 2 limit breaks, you couldn't find equipment for her, and she died at like the end of Midgar or something.
2: a new party member who fills exactly the same role shows up immediately after they die. Often to the point of literally carrying over their exact levels and stats. So Aeris dies and then on your way out of the Forgotten Capitol you run into Aerith, the other last Cetra.

For one of them to have an actual, fully-featured and unique party member who dies and just leaves that party role unfilled for the rest of the game is basically unheard of, even at the time. Aeristh's limits are completely unique and fill a role that nobody else fills, and she has a completely unique stat distribution, and you never get anyone else like her. I appreciate that, I like that it can make you feel a genuine sense that she's left a hole in the party even in the gameplay. I actually can't think of another JRPG that does this, although I'm sure there is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm the kind of player who makes a team of his favorite characters and ignores everybody else. This is just how I roll in most every JRPG.

hell, :same: