Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just, christ.

FF7 is such a weird game because as soon as you get out of Midgar, it's a huge tonal shift. Rewriting it for an audience now is a challenge in and of itself.

They've been working on this since at least 2014 or 2013. This is just ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If part 1 is indeed the size of a full length RPG, it's perfectly reasonable they dont have anything but a rough draft for later parts.

Whether or not splitting the game into multiple parts was smart to begin with, that's another issue.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

If part 1 is indeed the size of a full length RPG, it's perfectly reasonable they dont have anything but a rough draft for later parts.

Whether or not splitting the game into multiple parts was smart to begin with, that's another issue.

it's been four years. the fact that they still don't have a roadmap for the entire project is incredibly damning

competent people do not play this sort of thing by ear

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

corn in the bible posted:

Do a remake of ff2 instead

Yes do this

I want to like 2 so much

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

WaltherFeng posted:

So what do they do if this falls flat on its face? They can't just kill it like they did to FF14 and fix it this time.

I'd be fine if they rewrote it to take place entirely in Midgar and in the exurbs just outside of it rather than spanning all of Gaea. Make it so that Midgar's sprawl was built on top of the Temple of the Ancients and that its reach is at the enterance of the Northern Cave.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Star Man posted:

So what do they do if this falls flat on its face? They can't just kill it like they did to FF14 and fix it this time.

Well if FF15 continued support is anything to go by they will literally just say 'we aren't doing this anymore' and then stop.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Theoretically this should be the biggest game they’ve made in the last 10 or so years and one they’ve stated in the past that they wanted to remake right because if they hosed it up they were finished.

Star Man posted:

Turn into a full-time MMO factory/collapse?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Saint Freak posted:

Well if FF15 continued support is anything to go by they will literally just say 'we aren't doing this anymore' and then stop.

God, it’s like if Google made video games.

Wait

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One thing I wonder from the trailer, does Jessie not die in the plate collapse? One of the scenes shows her on a motorcycle with Cloud on the highway. Unless that is a new scene.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rirse posted:

One thing I wonder from the trailer, does Jessie not die in the plate collapse? One of the scenes shows her on a motorcycle with Cloud on the highway. Unless that is a new scene.

my guess is they expanded AVALANCHE's escape from the detonating reactor and they're using that scene as a preview for the motorcycle escape from Midgar itself later

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Rirse posted:

I'm guessing that's a new scene. Unless they're decided to randomly add Jessie to your party.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge are now all party members, replacing Yuffie, Vincent, and Iscar Matthias.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Star Man posted:

I'd be fine if they rewrote it to take place entirely in Midgar and in the exurbs just outside of it rather than spanning all of Gaea. Make it so that Midgar's sprawl was built on top of the Temple of the Ancients and that its reach is at the enterance of the Northern Cave.

Thats why splitting it was probably a bad idea.

It wouldnt be so bad if it was an original title. Plenty of games end in sequel hooks and lucky ones get sequels.

Heck I wouldnt care if GoW2018 never got a sequel. Its an alright game regardless.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rirse posted:

It's new, and the scene right after that is them still in the city, and Jessie gives Cloud a materia as thanks

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I suppose releasing the future parts like expansion packs to an MMO could work? But maybe not if the mother fucker is two Blu-rays long for its first part already.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TheKingofSprings posted:

they’ve stated in the past that they wanted to remake right because if they hosed it up they were finished.

Then they’re finished. There’s no way they can pull off a project of this scale without a very detailed business plan. This will literally be SE’s undoing. And I say this even if “Part One” is utterly fantastic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Episodic rpgs exist, hell square enix literally just finished a 11 part episodic franchise. It's just not called episodes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

Episodic rpgs exist, hell square enix literally just finished a 11 part episodic franchise. It's just not called episodes.

i hope you're not talking about FFXV, because that would bode even more poorly for FF7R if it's your point of comparison

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Terper posted:

It's new, and the scene right after that is them still in the city, and Jessie gives Cloud a materia as thanks

I bet it's a Horny Materia.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Terper posted:

I'm guessing that's the restore materia that you pick up just before you set the bomb in the original.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
My overly generous interpretation that gives Square way more benefit of the doubt than they should ever get because we all know how their developments have been in the mainline series for awhile; they probably had a plan and then getting details on the next gen scuttled them and they haven't managed to re-plan yet.

I have zero basis to think this is the case.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Also, they should definitely have known next gen was coming.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In the BEST case scenario, they got held up on VIIR to deal with XIV, XV, and KH3 issues. Now that it’s the main focus again, they are planning on VIIR mainly to be a next-gen venture, but are releasing the first part as a PS4 exclusive for right now to get some cash influx and goodwill. They don’t know how many more episodes there will be because they aren’t sure how big a game the hypothetical PS5 can handle yet, and aren’t sure how they’ll need to chop it up, if at all.

The rest of the game comes out on next-gen, with the first part being rereleased with upgrades, or released as a “FFVIIR Complete” PS5 package.

Best case scenario.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

To play both sides of this argument, the fact that the PS5 is fully back compatible does mean that there are no save transfer issues. (Assuming that there will be save transfers?)

E: I'm sort of imagining this as a Golden Sun -> Lost Age scenario, where it's one game broken up into pieces and your save will transfer directly across, but maybe that's the wrong way to think about it.

E2: Go full Golden Sun, have the party in 2 be complately different until you catch up with the first one. I want to play the Turks hunting Cloud et al. (There is a 0% chance of this happening.)

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 12, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Having trouble finding info: is FF7R a PS4 exclusive, or will it be coming to PC?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

S.J. posted:

Having trouble finding info: is FF7R a PS4 exclusive, or will it be coming to PC?

It's coming to PS4 first. There'll probably be a PC release somewhere down the line though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CottonWolf posted:

I want to play the Turks hunting Cloud et al. (There is a 0% chance of this happening.)

At least not until the DLC!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Also, they should definitely have known next gen was coming.

It's funny to think that one of the reasons they had for doing the remake was to help sales of the PS4 along, and now it's almost gone as far as what's new and shiny.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Phantasium posted:

It's funny to think that one of the reasons they had for doing the remake was to help sales of the PS4 along, and now it's almost gone as far as what's new and shiny.

Was the PS4 struggling or something in 2015?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Star Man posted:

Was the PS4 struggling or something in 2015?

Maybe in Japan? It's honestly been so long that I don't remember anything other than that tidbit.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good lord Pharos in FF12 is such a momentum killer. Why they decided this needed to be right after the Giruvegan Crystal dungeon is beyond me. Thank Christ the Zodiac Age version has autosaving at area transitions so you can break it up into bite size chunks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DrNutt posted:

Good lord Pharos in FF12 is such a momentum killer. Why they decided this needed to be right after the Giruvegan Crystal dungeon is beyond me. Thank Christ the Zodiac Age version has autosaving at area transitions so you can break it up into bite size chunks.

That's where my playthrough is stuck, yeah.

I swear I'll finish it one of these days.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Yiazmat from FF12 the most notorious boss/super boss in the series, or does that honor belong elsewhere?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is Yiazmat from FF12 the most notorious boss/super boss in the series, or does that honor belong elsewhere?

Emerald/Ruby are pretty iconic since they're out there and apparent and everyone died to them at least once.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Depends on the definition of "notorious" I guess, Yiazmat certainly is out there just because of what a slog his millions of HP are to burn through

Emerald/Ruby are probably better in that regard in that they're scary and powerful the first time you run into them but can be trivialised through a myriad of tricks once you have enough system mastery

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think anything is ever going to beat Absolute Virtue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's where my playthrough is stuck, yeah.

I swear I'll finish it one of these days.

I am at the tippy top and just have Gabranth and Cid left to deal with. Honestly I'm well past the point where I remember any of this poo poo from my playthrough of OG 12 years ago.

I found it really helpful to do a bunch of hunts and get overleveled for the story content so getting through Pharos was much less of a slog.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think anything is ever going to beat Absolute Virtue.

Thank Bahamut

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Love to see people who couldn't remember basic plot points from ff7 a few months ago now incredibly worried about the remake ruining the absolute perfection of the original script.

The only thing dumber are people sure it's not actually going to be out finished because they only showed offed a boss fight and had a playable demo at e3 and didn't show the whole game..

It's been in production for something like five years, they have showed zero footage beyond the first hour of what we are assured is a full-length game coming out in nine months, and they don't even know how many parts the final version will be released in yet.

There are Kickstarters better run than this absolute shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxxidation posted:

it's been four years. the fact that they still don't have a roadmap for the entire project is incredibly damning

competent people do not play this sort of thing by ear

Theres no such thing as competant people.

Little baby probably believes in a just world too.