Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Get her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Get that woman!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Since arriving in Italy, we've... assaulted a man with a book and subsequently handcuffed him, arrested another man for 'shifty eyes and nervous movements' and then attacked another man in a factory using equipment we're likely not trained on. Let's just arrest every red-headed woman we see and I'm sure one of the will be the criminal.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Guess we can get a warrant for Clare d'Loon.

achtungnight posted:

So it was Loony that kidnapped the beast!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Warrant for Loon

Junpei posted:

Get that woman!

Kangra posted:

Let's just arrest every red-headed woman we see and I'm sure one of the will be the criminal.

[78] Arrest - Clare d'Loon

You arrive in the famous Teatro dell'Opera, one of the finest concert halls in Rome. Naturally, you find Clare d'Loon inside the hall, onstage. The gorilla is with her. She is trying to teach him to play the piano.
"The gig's up," you tell her.

Clare sits back from the piano and sighs. "I can't get this gorilla to play anything. I did so want a partner for my next series of piano recitals."
"I'm sure you'll find a piano partner in prison," you tell her. "Maybe you'll get lucky — you might be sent to Sing Sing."

The police take her away and you call the Chief to tell him that you've recovered the stolen gorilla and captured Clare d'Loon.
"Well done," he growls. "Better head off to the score chart at the back of the book and see if you've got that promotion!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Total Score: 36

Maybe we can even afford that new CD player.

Here's a fun fact, now that we've caught Clare. The character cards in the book had a misprint! Clare's eye color was originally mis-marked as hazel, when everyone notes that they're really brown. Sadly, this isn't the only misprint I've had to correct in ACME's files.

Just as sadly, Carmen and her collection of character-card-challenged crooks are still causing chaos! Tune in soon for our next case:

Case 3: Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses Yearning to Breathe Free, and My Torch Back

To Be Continued...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Grodd gets a one way ticket back to Gorilla City, right?

Not sure I like the title of this next mission....

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

achtungnight posted:

Not sure I like the title of this next mission....

It's hard to come up with puns that involve the Statue of Liberty.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
carrying a torch for theft?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So glad to have rescued Harambe.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bonus Content: The Other Interviews, Case 2

Ever wondered how things would have gone if you'd talked to that other witness? Well, look no further.

quote:

[95] Interview - Banker (Uganda)

You find the bank you're looking for, and talk to the manager. He remembers seeing the woman you're after. "She was in here to change her shillings to yuans," he explains.
You decide that maybe you'd better do the same, and then head back to the airport. [106]

[9] Interview - Factory Worker (China)

The factory worker is busy sewing away at a huge stack of clothing.
"How are you doing today?" you ask.
"So-so," she answers.

"Well, can you tell me anything about this woman?" you ask while showing her a photograph.
The worker pauses and thinks. "I have seen this woman. She mentioned that she was going to an island on her next flight."

You realize that you've gotten all the information you're going to get out of this factory worker. Better head back to Beijing. [119]

[105] Interview - Taxi Driver (Saudi Arabia)

The taxi driver that you find drives camels instead of cars! You realize that in the deserts of Saudi Arabia, camels must be more reliable than cars. You discuss this and the thief you're after with the taxi driver.

"Oh, yes," he agrees. "But cars are wonderful. As a matter of fact, the woman you're after loves cars. She said she her next trip would be to a place where they make classic cars."
While you figure out where the chase will take you next, you return to the airport. [16]

Note: I can't find proof of the existence of camel taxi services in Saudi Arabia. Maybe take this one with a grain of salt!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

e: nm I'm a fool

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Case 3: Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses Yearning to Breathe Free, and My Torch Back

The Torch From the Statue of Liberty

Background: The 152 foot high statue of Liberty Enlightening the World was designed by sculptor Fredric August Bartoldi. It was built by Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, designer of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. It was declared a national monument in 1924 and the site it was built on was renamed Liberty Island in 1960.

To investigate this crime: Go to [74].

[74] New York City (Scene of the Crime)

You've arrived in New York City, home of the Statue of Liberty and its stolen torch. You head down to Battery Park to take a ferry to the Statue.
As you ride through the harbor, you pass several islands. One famous island is Ellis Island. Between 1891 and 1954, twenty million immigrants passed through the island's buildings on their way to make a new home in the United States. Now the buildings have been converted into a Museum of Immigration.

Just past Ellis Island is Liberty Island, where the Statue of Liberty stands. Once you're on Liberty Island, you speak to the park ranger in charge. Luckily for you, he has a few leads.
"Three people saw the theft," the ranger admits, handing you a list. "And before we could seal off the airport, there were three flights out of here."

Should we question:

• The taxi driver? [161]
• The street mime? [24]
• The pretzel seller? [148]

Or does the chase lead to:

• Canada? [35]
• Hawaii? [120]
• Greenland? [68]

Score: 1 • Case: Torch • Suspect: ? • Destination: ?

Fun fact: In 1984, the original torch was removed and replaced with a refurbished copy, whose flame is covered in 24-karat gold. The original torch is displayed in the Statue's museum, which is in its pedestal - which explains how Carmen and co. managed to make off with it at all, since it weighs 3,600 pounds and is 16 feet tall!

Contrary to the way it was portrayed in Alfred Hitchcock's film 'Saboteur', the torch that's up on the statue has been closed to viewers since 1916; to get to it, you have to climb a rickety 40-foot ladder.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If Detective Pikachu taught me anything, it’s that you should always interview Mr. Mime.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

achtungnight posted:

If Detective Pikachu taught me anything, it’s that you should always interview Mr. Mime.

:psyduck: agrees

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mime

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Taxi driver, they know everything.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Oh, I know this one. Talk to your brother Paul first. Then the street mime, Harley Filben.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[24] Interview - Street Mime

Your contact is working outside the New York Public Library. He's a pretty good mime, climbing in and out of invisible boxes and riding invisible bicycles. When he collects his coins from the passersby, you talk to him.

"I hear you may be able to tell me something."
He shakes his head and points to his mouth. Of course! He's a mime. He never says a word.
You sigh. This isn't going to be an easy case.

"Okay," you agree. "What can you show me?"
The mime smiles, then runs around with his arms out. "Airplane," you guess, and he nods. "But where to?" you ask. He points uptown. "Times Square?" you guess. He shakes his head and points again. This time he shudders.

"Somewhere scary?" you ask.
Wrong again. The mime makes gestures of pulling on a coat. "Somewhere cold," you realize. He nods, and shakes your hand. So now you know your thief is heading north to somewhere cold. Better check to see what else you can discover. You're hoping the next contact can talk! You head back to the airport [74].

Where next?

Should we question:

• The taxi driver? [161]
• The street mime?

• Canada? [35]
• Hawaii? [120]
• Greenland? [68]

Score: 3 • Case: Torch • Suspect: ? • Destination: north, somewhere cold

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Taxi Driver time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That rules out Hawaii! Taxi Driver now. Hope we speak his language.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[161] Interview - Taxi Driver

You find the taxi driver you're looking for, uptown at the Cloisters in Fort Tryon Park. The Cloisters is one of your favorite spots in New York City. It's a museum made up of parts of monasteries and churches shipped over from Europe. It's always peaceful here, no matter how wild the rest of New York might be.

"So," the driver asks as you get in, "you after anything special?"
"I'm after the man who stole the torch from the Statue of Liberty," you tell him.

"Yeah, I heard about that robbery. You know, I picked up a guy who wanted to get to the airport — fast. Said he was heading off to a place where they spend krones. Hey, where do you want to go?"
"The airport — fast," you tell him. What luck to get such a hot lead just as you head out. [74]

Where next?

Should we question:

• The taxi driver?
• The street mime?

• Canada? [35]
• Hawaii? [120]
• Greenland? [68]

Score: 5 • Case: Torch • Suspect: Male • Destination: north, somewhere cold, uses krones

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Time to be employed in Greenland!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Greenland

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Greenland I guess Carmen must be testing something to help move stuff sneaky because that torch is huge.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[68] Greenland

As you climb out of the aircraft, you pull your coat around you for warmth. You're in Godthaab, Greenland, now also known as Nuuk. It's bitterly cold here, which isn't too surprising, since over 80 percent of the country is permanently covered in a sheet of ice.
Your contact arrives, and you ask him, "Why on earth is this place called Greenland? Wouldn't Snowland be more appropriate?"
"Probably," he agrees. "But when Eric the Red discovered the land in 982 AD, he called it Greenland to get people to come and settle here. Sort of a cheerful advertising campaign."

"Well, I'm glad someone can be cheerful about this cold," you answer. "So, got any hot tips for me?"
"A few," he answers. "I've found some people who saw the man you're after. And there have been three flights out since he arrived."

Do we want to talk to:

• The Eskimo? [44]
• The fisherman? [143]
• The farmer? [99] (originally misprinted as [41], which leads to the New Zealand farmer from the last case)

Or are we ready to leave and head for:

• Saudi Arabia? [11]
• Italy? [159]
• China? [71]

Score: 6 • Case: Torch • Suspect: Male • Destination: ?

Fun fact: The Greenland map card is the only one that doesn't mention a currency. And yet currency was used as a clue to the country anyway. Oopsie.

EDIT: Regarding the use of 'Eskimo', please see 'A Note on Word Choices'.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 13, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Farmer

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Let's ask the farmer, because I'm curious as to what they're farming.

FWIW, I think Eskimo has become not the right term to use since that book has been published. It's kinda like using Oriental.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A Note on Word Choices

Ibblebibble posted:

FWIW, I think Eskimo has become not the right term to use since that book has been published. It's kinda like using Oriental.

You are correct! 'Eskimo' is a somewhat derogatory Algonquin word, possibly meaning 'eaters of raw meat'; the people in question call themselves 'Inuit'*. I figured I'd bring it up if people followed that branch, but yes.
(I'm reproducing it here because it's the exact text of the book, but yes. Don't use it.)

*Note that 'Inuit' doesn't apply to the Iρupiat people who are native to Alaska, who were also previously called 'Eskimo' by media of the time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It's also kinda offensive to identify someone solely by their ethnicity. Let's talk to the farmer, who might also be Inuit for all we know, just as the Inuit might be a farmer too (but it's not mentioned in favor of his ethnicity).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

achtungnight posted:

It's also kinda offensive to identify someone solely by their ethnicity.

Yeah, pretty much.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[99] Interview - Farmer

The farmer has a small plot of land near Godhavn on the west coast. It's so cold, you wonder how anything ever grows here. Still, the farmer greets you politely, and you ask him about the man you're after.
"Oh, I remember him," he tells you. "He hated it here because of the cold. He said he was going to go to a warmer place, but first he had to change his money to riyals.

You said goodbye and head back to the airport. [68] Good, the next place is warmer.

Fun fact: Godhavn is now called Qeqertarsuaq.

Where next?

Do we want to talk to:

• The Inuit? [44]
• The fisherman? [143]
• The farmer?

• Saudi Arabia? [11]
• Italy? [159]
• China? [71]

Score: 8 • Case: Torch • Suspect: Male • Destination: uses riyals

Quackles fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 13, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Inuit who I’m sure has gone fishing at least on occasion.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The fisherman who I’m sure has gone Inuiting at least on occasion.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Saudi Arabia, but I wanna say hi to the Inuit first.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Saudis

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

See if the Inuit can give us any info about the suspect.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[44] Interview - Inuit

You find Alaska a bit of a disappointment. The Inuit you've come to see lives in a beautiful stone house, instead of an igloo, as you had hoped. When you mention this, he laughs. "Igloos are old-fashioned," he tells you.

Oh, well. You ask him about your suspect.
"Yes, I saw him," the Inuit answers. "He had brown hair. He told me he was looking for greener pastures, and then left. I have no idea where he went."
The Inuit's clues aren't much help, but they're better than nothing. You head back to Nuuk to think things over. [68]

Alaska?! How did we end up in Alaska? We were in Greenland, last I checked! I think the book's author is well on his way to the rank of 'Shoe Salesman'.

Where next?

Do we want to talk to:

• The Inuit?
• The fisherman? [143]
• The farmer?

• Saudi Arabia? [11]
• Italy? [159]
• China? [71]

Score: 10 • Case: Torch • Suspect: Male, brown hair • Destination: uses riyals

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That Inuit was the most helpful witness so far- he pointed us right at Chuck Roast as the crook we're after (he's the only male with brown hair). Thanks buddy!

Let's go back to Saudi Arabia since we know the currency. Wonder if we'll meet different witnesses this visit.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Saudi Arabia
Warrant for Chuck Roast

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[11] Saudi Arabia

You get off the plane in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The place is crowded with pilgrims visiting the holy city of Mecca. It's the birthplace of Mohammed, the prophet of the religion of Islam. Over half a million pilgrims from sixty different countries around the world visit here each year. The pilgrimage is called the hajj.
Despite the crowd, the local Acme man finds you. He's obviously a good detective, if he can spot you in this crowd. But then again, you're the only one in a trench coat and fedora.

"What's the news?" you ask him.
"Your man definitely arrived here. I've managed to find three people who saw him. If you talk to them, they may be able to help you."

"Any connecting flights?" you ask.
"Three," the detective answers. "He could have left on any of them, hidden by these crowds."
"Yeah," you sigh. "Crowds are good camouflage for a crook."

Should we interview:

• The used-camel salesman? [76]
• The date trader? [15]
• The oil driller? [128]

Or are we hot on the trail leading to...

• Japan? [96]
• The United Kingdom? [160]
• India? [58]

Score: 11 • Case: Torch • Suspect: Male, brown hair • Warrant: Chuck Roast? (need more votes to confirm) • Destination: ?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
date trader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dates I guess. Also looks like our character is confirmed Muslim, as you're not allowed into Mecca if you're not.