Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The stinger: Evil guy who's been missing half the film is led to a secret hangar by a smuggler who wants to sell him Lefty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

“Now, I gotta warn you about this one...this one...this one—it aint normal, okay?”

*reveals the head*

HOONNK!

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 11, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I missed the stinger

Much unlike Rodan :imunfunny:

Violator
May 15, 2003

So Deep Rising was intended to be the lead in to a late 90s King Kong reboot? That would have been a weird monster universe with plenty of gore.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So which Titan lives in Wyoming? At first I thought it was a Tremors reference, but I think that movie takes place somewhere in California, not in Wyoming.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Delaying G vs Kong is probably a solid business decision. And I guess the filmmakers benefit from extra time to iron out stuff.

Still, as a fan I will groan once announced officially.

Someone said the plot involves both kings battling a bioengineered superkaiju. Can't tell if sarcastic or not. Sounds good to me though!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ruddiger posted:

So which Titan lives in Wyoming? At first I thought it was a Tremors reference, but I think that movie takes place somewhere in California, not in Wyoming.

Tremors is in Nevada. Wyoming was the MUTO, I'd imagine. Wasn't the female in '14 locked at Cheyenne Mountain?

edit: Cheyenne Mountain is in Colorado woops
edit2: and she was in Yucca Mountain christ I'm bad at this

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Violator posted:

So Deep Rising was intended to be the lead in to a late 90s King Kong reboot? That would have been a weird monster universe with plenty of gore.

Deep Rising owned. I’d have been down for that

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Treat Williams is such an underrated leading man.

Monster in Deep Rising, that wide shot of it at the end, was wicked cool

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veawaINmjIU

Godzilla's True Identity

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Can anyone recommend a good Godzilla podcast? I see there are a few out there, anyone have a favorite?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tokyo Lives! is alright.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ruddiger posted:

So which Titan lives in Wyoming?

Tentacle Spider

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Godzilla podcast? I see there are a few out there, anyone have a favorite?
Not just Godzilla, but Kaiju Podcast is my go-to. http://www.kaijupod.com/

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Delaying G vs Kong is probably a solid business decision. And I guess the filmmakers benefit from extra time to iron out stuff.

Still, as a fan I will groan once announced officially.

Someone said the plot involves both kings battling a bioengineered superkaiju. Can't tell if sarcastic or not. Sounds good to me though!

The fact that we can speculate on if we're getting a Destoroyah, a Biollante, a Mecha (either Godzilla or Mecha-King Ghidorsh), or even a riff on the various different Ghidorahs in the Mothrs trilogy is honestly nuts.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

It's a stealth Jurassic World III prequel, isn't it?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does anyone here's remember the old webcomic Twisted Kaiju Theater? It was a pretty dumb/hilarious comic made with vinyl monster figures.

The guy who made it ended it in 2013, and apparently at some point he took the archive down as they "no longer represent who I am now", which is a shame.

I wonder if Archive.Org managed to grab them?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Annath posted:

I wonder if Archive.Org managed to grab them?

Looks like it, they got a ton of snapshots of the site: https://web.archive.org/web/20120115000000*/https://www.neomonsterisland.com/

I clicked on a random snapshot in 2012 and it had a shitload of comicstrips archived

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looks like it, they got a ton of snapshots of the site: https://web.archive.org/web/20120115000000*/https://www.neomonsterisland.com/

I clicked on a random snapshot in 2012 and it had a shitload of comicstrips archived

That's awesome! I'll have to see if I can scrape the archive, it'd be a shame if it just disappears.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Captain Invictus posted:

The stinger: Evil guy who's been missing half the film is led to a secret hangar by a smuggler who wants to sell him Lefty.

The scene made it look like Tywinn was just at the local fish market picking something up. He's like "we'll take it!" and I was half expecting the Mexican guys to weigh the head on a fish scale, ring him up then diligently start wrapping lefty up in newspaper.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Violator posted:

I'm pretty sure Kong already ate that dude in Skull Island when he was just minding his own business washing his injuries.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Rhetorical question: who is the protagonist of this Godzilla 2 movie?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Mark and/or Emma probably come closest to fitting the bill.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Godzilla

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Panfilo posted:

I'm pretty sure Kong already ate that dude in Skull Island when he was just minding his own business washing his injuries.

I don't think so? Are you talking about the giant squid scene?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HannibalBarca posted:

Mark and/or Emma probably come closest to fitting the bill.

Well, sort-of. You could argue that Serizawa is the protagonist of the first half, then it switches to Emma (who is ultimately the strongest candidate. But it’s more accurate to say that the film doesn’t have a protagonist, just because things are really badly conveyed.

Like, Emma’s entire plan is predicated on the fact that MONARCH has built massive underground shelters capable of housing Earth’s entire population and presumably protecting them against monster attacks (even though they are basically all subterranean). These shelters are never shown, or even mentioned, outside of like a single line of dialogue.

Consequently, Emma’s motivations - and the motivations of all the other characters trying to stop her - are quite incomprehensible.

Totally not.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Monarch collectively.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Consequently, Emma’s motivations - and the motivations of all the other characters trying to stop her - are quite incomprehensible.

I don't get this.

I only saw the movie the one time, but it was pretty clear, once the heel turn occurred, what she was doing and why (use the Titans as living bulldozers to wipe the planet clean and rejuvenate it, allowing humanity to climb back out of their bunkers and rebuild, but in harmony with nature this time) , as well as why MONARCH was trying to stop her (prevent deaths, preserve the status quo, and because trying to control the Titans was beyond risky).

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

ER LEIBT!

is the answer Charles Dance

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Well, sort-of. You could argue that Serizawa is the protagonist of the first half

I disagree because Serizawa isn't really a character beyond having a few traits such as "wise" and "likes Godzilla." Even "dislikes nukes" has mostly been lost in the interim between 2014 and 2019.

I do agree that overall there isn't really an easily definable protagonist and the movie doesn't have much in the way of good character stuff, although they certainly tried (for what must be the zillionth time in an American disaster movie) to do character stuff with the Russell family estrangement plot.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 12, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Well, sort-of. You could argue that Serizawa is the protagonist of the first half, then it switches to Emma (who is ultimately the strongest candidate. But it’s more accurate to say that the film doesn’t have a protagonist, just because things are really badly conveyed.

Like, Emma’s entire plan is predicated on the fact that MONARCH has built massive underground shelters capable of housing Earth’s entire population and presumably protecting them against monster attacks (even though they are basically all subterranean). These shelters are never shown, or even mentioned, outside of like a single line of dialogue.

Totally not.

Okay you're banned so this literally doesn't matter but

gently caress off dude. You're purposely misremembering and obscuring BASIC rear end poo poo from the movie in an attempt to try and call this, of ALL movies, incomprehensible.

One big glaring thing you decided to include that really betrays this?

quote:

MONARCH has built massive underground shelters capable of housing Earth’s entire population

Unless you're just actually having trouble watching movies or parsing information, you know this is a blatant lie.

They made shelters to protect SOME people in SOME places of the world.

Emma knew, straight up, that she was condemning most of the population of the world to die. Charles Dance out right said that to her in the middle of her plan. By releasing Ghidorah and throwing in with Dance, she's already committed genocide.

Her love for her daughter, and to a smaller degree her husband and former co-workers, does not conflict with her desire to save the world in a way that doesn't make sense. It is entirely comprehensible, loving watch the movie and try to pay attention next time.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Burkion posted:

Okay you're banned so this literally doesn't matter but

gently caress off dude. You're purposely misremembering and obscuring BASIC rear end poo poo from the movie in an attempt to try and call this, of ALL movies, incomprehensible.

One big glaring thing you decided to include that really betrays this?

Unless you're just actually having trouble watching movies or parsing information, you know this is a blatant lie.

They made shelters to protect SOME people in SOME places of the world.

Emma knew, straight up, that she was condemning most of the population of the world to die. Charles Dance out right said that to her in the middle of her plan. By releasing Ghidorah and throwing in with Dance, she's already committed genocide.

Her love for her daughter, and to a smaller degree her husband and former co-workers, does not conflict with her desire to save the world in a way that doesn't make sense. It is entirely comprehensible, loving watch the movie and try to pay attention next time.

That’s an oddly hostile response.

The entire Mexico scene is based around there being shelters. Millie B. is upset because they were supposed to evacuate people first before deploying the weapons.

People in the thread have been fairly confused as to where all the people are evacuating to (there are ~17 million people in Boston and San Fransisco, as just one example), and the answer is given in that dialogue.

Many would inevitably die in a global evacuation and the resulting massive refugee crisis. But the fundamental conflict between the Emma character and the stupid Charles Dance badguy is that, in grand Marvel tradition, she is attempting to minimize casualties - by using shelters, shelters that presumably hold enough people to keep Millie B. from crying.

Again, it’s really poorly conveyed - like a lot of things. Like, for example, Ghidorah isn’t a space alien in this film.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yes he is. Zhang Ziyi brings up his origin mythology and Kyle Chandler proposes his alien status.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did you even watch the movie, or did you just take badly written notes to piss people off?

Because either way you're an idiot who didn't watch the loving movie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Like, for example, Ghidorah isn’t a space alien in this film.

He is, and is explicitly said to be such. I can't tell if this is on purpose or not, but when talking about how the Oxygen Destroyer did nothing to Ghidorah and he grew his head back and how that should be impossible for any living thing on Earth, the following exchange occurs after Chen shows an ancient picture of Ghidorah:

"It tells of the great dragon who fell from the stars - a hydra whose storms swallowed both man and gods alike."
"You mean an alien?"
"Yes. He's not part of our natural order. And he's not meant to be here."

Quoted word-for-word from the novelization, and I remember the exchange in the movie too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 13, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yes he is. Zhang Ziyi brings up his origin mythology and Kyle Chandler proposes his alien status.

And that’s where you need to look at characterization.

As in Jurassic World, anything Dr. Mark says about biology is immediately suspect because of his belief in ‘Alphas’ and poo poo. He’s a bad scientist - which is why he was initially part of MONARCH before the events of the film (another thing that’s extremely poorly conveyed - the reveal that he and Serizawa are close friends comes out of nowhere). MONARCH are pseudoscientists on par with the “ancient aliens” nerds in Prometheus, stumbling rear end-backwards into trillions of taxpayer dollars.

An example of Zhang’s methodology: attempting to ascertain Ghidorah’s origins, she does a high-tech Google Image Search for “yellowish dragons” and brings up dozens of images - including William Blake’s 1803 watercolor The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in Sun. Her theory, unquestioned by anyone, is that these images are actually eyewitness testimony. But unless Ghidorah battled Godzilla in 1800s Britain before being chased to the arctic and frozen, that’s obviously bullshit. What she’s actually doing is effectively trying to reverse-engineer lion behaviour from watching The Lion King and Voltron. It’s nonsense.

Outside of Zhang’s ‘analysis’, there’s no indication that Ghidorah is any different from the other MUTOs. Yet everyone keeps going on about “The Natural Order” in this strangely cultish way.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 13, 2019

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It stands to reason that Ghidorah fell from heaven, being that he’s a golden three-headed dragon who rose from his icy prison in a gout of sulfurous flame.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Imagine naming yourself supermechagodzilla and failing to understand even the most basic tenets of a Godzilla film. Go back to your star wars editing project you rape trivializing weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

And that’s where you need to look at characterization.

As in Jurassic World, anything Dr. Mark says about biology is immediately suspect because of his belief in ‘Alphas’ and poo poo. He’s a bad scientist - which is why he was initially part of MONARCH before the events of the film (another thing that’s extremely poorly conveyed - the reveal that he and Serizawa are close friends comes out of nowhere). MONARCH are pseudoscientists on par with the “ancient aliens” nerds in Prometheus, stumbling rear end-backwards into trillions of taxpayer dollars.

An example of Zhang’s methodology: attempting to ascertain Ghidorah’s origins, she does a high-tech Google Image Search for “yellowish dragons” and brings up dozens of images - including William Blake’s 1803 watercolor The Great Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed in Sun. Her theory, unquestioned by anyone, is that these images are actually eyewitness testimony. But unless Ghidorah battled Godzilla in 1800s Britain before being chased to the arctic and frozen, that’s obviously bullshit. What she’s actually doing is effectively trying to reverse-engineer lion behaviour from watching The Lion King and Voltron. It’s nonsense.

Outside of Zhang’s ‘analysis’, there’s no indication that Ghidorah is any different from the other MUTOs. Yet everyone keeps going on about “The Natural Order” in this strangely cultish way.

So, basically, if you ignore everything the movie says and shows that contradicts you and deliberately misinterpret the rest, you can draw whatever interpretation from it that you want? Amazing, I never considered that.