Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

not all ML/AI systems are neural networks

I'm gonna go ahead and say that most ML/AI systems aren't neural networks and are in fact incredibly simple algorithms cobbled together and sold as a brand new data-driven advanced machine learning artificial intelligence solution. Like I know some of the ones deciding prison sentences are completely opaque because revealing how it works would be ~company trade secrets~, and if you don't even have to show anyone how it works you might as well put as little effort into it as possible. Why bother carefully curating a training set when you can just write a bunch of if statements?

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say that most ML/AI systems aren't neural networks and are in fact incredibly simple algorithms cobbled together and sold as a brand new data-driven advanced machine learning artificial intelligence solution. Like I know some of the ones deciding prison sentences are completely opaque because revealing how it works would be ~company trade secrets~, and if you don't even have to show anyone how it works you might as well put as little effort into it as possible. Why bother carefully curating a training set when you can just write a bunch of if statements?

A lot of them are no more advanced than a timer or counter that measures downtime or rate of completed tasks. It's not an AI at all, just a stopwatch connected to whatever computer system you're working with.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Accretionist posted:

This is a good line.

And on that point...

Article: Computer Program That Calculates Prison Sentences Is Even More Racist Than Humans, Study Finds
Date: January 21, 2018

Kurt Vonnegut continues to be a prophet:

Hocus Pocus posted:

When I was still a teacher here, I asked GRIOT™, the most popular computer game at the Pahlavi Pavilion, what might have become of me after the war instead of what really happened. The way you play GRIOT™, of course, is to tell the computer the age and race and degree of education and present situation and drug use, if any, and so on of a person. The person doesn’t have to be real. The computer doesn’t ask if the person is real or not. It doesn’t care about anything. It especially doesn’t care about hurting people’s feelings. You load it up with details about a life, real or imagined, and then it spits out a story about what was likely to happen to him or her. This story is based on what has happened to real persons with the same general specifications.

GRIOT™ won’t work without certain pieces of information. If you leave out race, for instance, it flashes the words “ethnic origin” on its screen, and stops cold. If it doesn’t know that, it can’t go on. The same with education.
I didn’t tell GRIOT™ that I had landed a job I loved here. I told it only about my life up to the end of the Vietnam War. It knew all about the Vietnam War and the sorts of veterans it had produced. It made me a burned-out case, on the basis of my length of service over there, I think. It had me becoming a wife-beater and an alcoholic, and winding up all alone on Skid Row.

IF I HAD access to GRIOT™ now, I might ask it what might have happened to Marilyn Shaw if Sam Wakefield hadn’t rescued her. But the escaped convicts smashed up the one in the Pavilion soon after I showed them how to work it.

They hated it, and I didn’t blame them. I was immediately sorry that I had let them know of its existence. One by one they punched in their race and age and what their parents did, if they knew, and how long they’d gone to school and what drugs they’d taken and so on, and GRIOT™ sent them straight to jail to serve long sentences.

I HAVE NO idea how much GRIOT™ back then may have known about Vietnam nurses. The manufacturers claimed then as now that no program in stores was more than 3 months old, and so every program was right up-to-date about what had really happened to this or that sort of person at the time you bought it. The programmers, supposedly, were constantly updating GRIOT™ with the news of the day about plumbers, about podiatrists, about Vietnam boat people and Mexican wetbacks, about drug smugglers, about paraplegics, about everyone you could think of within the continental limits of the United States and Canada.

There is some question now, I’ve heard, about whether GRIOT™ is as deep and up-to-date as it used to be, since Parker Brothers, the company that makes it, has been taken over by Koreans. The new owners are moving the whole operation to Indonesia, where labor costs next to nothing. They say they will keep up with American news by satellite.

[...]

GRIOT™? IN THE old days anyway, before the Koreans promised to make Parker Brothers lean and mean in Indonesia, didn’t come up with the same biography every time you gave it a certain set of facts. Like life itself, it offered a variety of possibilities, spitting out endings according to what the odds for winning or losing or whatever were known to be.

After GRIOT™ put me on Skid Row 15 years ago, I had it try again. I did a little better, but not as well as I was doing here. It had me stay in the Army and become an instructor at West Point, but unhappy and bored. I lost my wife again, and still drank too much, and had a succession of woman friends who soon got sick of me and my depressions. And I died of cirrhosis of the liver a second time.

GRIOT™ DIDN’T HAVE many alternatives to jail for the escaped convicts, though. If it came up with a parole, it soon put the ex-con back in a cage again.

THE SAME THING happened if GRIOT™ was told that the jailbird was Hispanic. It was somewhat more optimistic about Whites, if they could read and write, and had never been in a mental hospital or been given a Dishonorable Discharge from the Armed Forces. Otherwise, they might as well be Black or Hispanic.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
seems like it would be faster and easier just to throw all black people in jail

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/conner_omalley/status/1125861403393392644

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Is this performance art? :stare:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Is this performance art? :stare:

its coke

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Cowpocalypse posted:

seems like it would be faster and easier just to throw all black people in jail

good money in it too

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ah, method acting

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Your Klansman can't learn xor

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Posting my own tweet

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1138958009378455552?s=19

This should be illegal

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Should be 20% off their heads.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Accretionist posted:

This is a good line.

And on that point...

Article: Computer Program That Calculates Prison Sentences Is Even More Racist Than Humans, Study Finds
Date: January 21, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Raqx9sFbo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

are Mozz Sticks deep fried effigies of Morrissey?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:barf:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Not only is the subject terrible but those are some godawful tattoos

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DiggityDoink posted:

Not only is the subject terrible but those are some godawful tattoos

They're actually p good as far as juggalo tattoos go, and these people are definitely juggalos.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Juggalo's love acuras

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Booking a flight to go see my relatives and it's always fun to see all the new and exciting ways they've figured out how to gently caress you. Like now United makes you pay extra for "overhead bin access" :allears:

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Shame Boy posted:

Booking a flight to go see my relatives and it's always fun to see all the new and exciting ways they've figured out how to gently caress you. Like now United makes you pay extra for "overhead bin access" :allears:

Best tip when booking a flight is always fill out some insane poo poo for the dietary restrictions.

You'll get actual fresh food a lot of the time.

For Air Canada flights, I am a Jain Monk. Delicious meals.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if he’s being charged for overhead bin space he’s choosing a “basic fare” and flying domestically. there’s no food other than some cookies and only maybe

blame spirit for showing up on search engines cheaper than legacy carriers

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ive been seeing lots of apple pay discounts lately, its real annoying
its just an extension of club cards though, every restaurant has their own app you load money onto like a prepaid card

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

if he’s being charged for overhead bin space he’s choosing a “basic fare” and flying domestically. there’s no food other than some cookies and only maybe

blame spirit for showing up on search engines cheaper than legacy carriers

Yeah it's domestic. It just showed up in the search, I'm not picking it because it was only marginally less than the other carriers and I have more than zero bags to bring so I'd definitely make up the difference in fees anyway.

When I was a kid I used to love taking a ride on a plane and now it's awful :toot:

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qku_7Sjy664

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Buying a flight now, I noticed a new field that wasn't there the last time I bought a flight

quote:

Redress #

The Redress # is a unique number issued by the DHS (Department of Homeland Security) that is used to facilitate Passenger clearance for persons who have the same name as someone on the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) watch list.

So the way they solved the infamous "literally the only thing we check is the name so everyone with that name is a terrorist" problem is... make everyone who is not the terrorist have to apply for and get a special number and enter it every time they travel. Great idea!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

Buying a flight now, I noticed a new field that wasn't there the last time I bought a flight

So the way they solved the infamous "literally the only thing we check is the name so everyone with that name is a terrorist" problem is... make everyone who is not the terrorist have to apply for and get a special number and enter it every time they travel. Great idea!

imo it's pretty ironic that you're upset about TSA shenanigans while also automatically equating anyone on a watch list with "terrorist".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did you last fly over a decade ago? Redress numbers have been around since 2007.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

imo it's pretty ironic that you're upset about TSA shenanigans while also automatically equating anyone on a watch list with "terrorist".

I'm not the one doing that, that's how the TSA works. I probably should have used more sarcastic quotes to make it clear

hobbesmaster posted:

Did you last fly over a decade ago? Redress numbers have been around since 2007.

I've never seen them baked in to the booking system before, guess I didn't notice them :shrug:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

hobbesmaster posted:

i just booked an international flight last month and noticed "redress number" for the first time. I dont fly a ton, but I've flown domestically and internationally 10-ish times since 2007. i should note I am super inattentive and I may have noticed it before and even hit the question mark next to the "redress number" box before

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i also paid the tsa $100 fee to be harassed less when going through security. for that i should be guillotined, but i have some serious anxiety and queuing up for customs makes me look super suspect lol

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Eat This Glob posted:

i just booked an international flight last month and noticed "redress number" for the first time. I dont fly a ton, but I've flown domestically and internationally 10-ish times since 2007. i should note I am super inattentive and I may have noticed it before and even hit the question mark next to the "redress number" box before

I didn't notice them before, either.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I looked up the watchlist cuz I was curious what it was actually called officially (it's the TERRORIST SCREENING DATABASE of course) and found this excellent graphic the FBI made

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

Also I looked up the watchlist cuz I was curious what it was actually called officially (it's the TERRORIST SCREENING DATABASE of course) and found this excellent graphic the FBI made

I'm the bottom right panel wherein folks are calmly proceeding with routine checks even as an airplane is about the ram the building.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

okay this is pretty funny though. I lol’s

stranger things is still poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

i'm the guy quantum leaping

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm the guy quantum leaping

"Sam, you need to make sure Seth MacFarlane wakes up in time for his flight."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

hahahahaha putting things right that once went wrong

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

The existence of The Orville proves that Sam prevented Seth from getting on that flight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i remember the ktn/redress stuff being around on the southwest forms forever

also most airlines will save your ktn/redress info so you don't have to enter it every time

i feel like the only point of having a ktn now is just a slightly less invasive waiting in line because everybody and their dog has it now or one of the inexplicable private options

i paid way to much for that stuff :smith: