Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_7326 by s b, on FlickrIMG_7652 by s b, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Shoes by Armchair Calvinist, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I really like this! Pretty clouds.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_2508.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 4, 2019

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Image isn't showing in the post on the app, but the link works. Cool pic, man. Love the contrasting shades of green on either side of the road.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Sun through the trees by Marc, on Flickr

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

drat, I like this one a lot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Transamerica Pyramid 1 by Armchair Calvinist, on Flickr

Transamerica Pyramid 5 by Armchair Calvinist, on Flickr

Transamerica Pyramid 2 by Armchair Calvinist, on Flickr

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Behold! A bird poo poo shaped like a bird.

Bird by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Inspirational

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
edit: well nevermind, imgur isn't working right for me currently.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Behold! A bird poo poo shaped like a bird.

Bird by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Truly showing that poop is art, and vice versa.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Japanese Gardens in Portland

edit: click thru for hi-res

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

[

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The Ricoh GR is fun

R0020512 by Cody P, on Flickr

R0020398 by Cody P, on Flickr

R0020405 by Cody P, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm headed to Iceland for two weeks by myself, pretty much entirely to take photos and enjoy nature. Below are two photos I'd consider pretty typical of my abilities at this point. I'd like to my time until I leave and then the duration of the time there improving my skills. I purchased a video course on Udemy and requested a refund two minutes in when the author of an intermediate landscape photography course claimed one of his subpar photos was almost good enough to be in Nat Geo. I'm planning on marathoning this thread, marking photo ideas for inspiration and noting any interesting discussions. Otherwise, is there anything I should be doing?

DSC_0771-2 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DSC_0814 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

huhu posted:

I'm headed to Iceland for two weeks by myself, pretty much entirely to take photos and enjoy nature. Below are two photos I'd consider pretty typical of my abilities at this point. I'd like to my time until I leave and then the duration of the time there improving my skills. I purchased a video course on Udemy and requested a refund two minutes in when the author of an intermediate landscape photography course claimed one of his subpar photos was almost good enough to be in Nat Geo. I'm planning on marathoning this thread, marking photo ideas for inspiration and noting any interesting discussions. Otherwise, is there anything I should be doing?

buying photo books

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

huhu posted:

Iceland is easy mode with subjects around every bend in the road.. if you see something pretty point a camera at it and you'll probably get something you like. If you need a list of locations, Iceland is so heavily photographed that you should be looking at google maps or googling hotspots. If you want to learn composition, that's a tougher topic. Pick photographers you like, look at their stuff, analyze it to find out why you like it, and copy it. Or watch youtube vloggers that do landscapes.. eventually the information will sink in.

You're going around the solstice so you get perfect light from 10pm to 4am so do the night shift.. stay up all night and sleep through the day.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I went to Iceland a couple years ago, my advice would be more to worry about enjoying your time there as opposed to feeling like you're there specifically to take photos. Pick up beer at the airport duty free it's going to be way cheaper than anywhere else there. Be prepared for tons of wind (I was there in December so it might be different at this time of year but probably still windy) so make sure you can weight down your tripod somehow for long exposures.

You'll need to rent a car, no question at all about it, so be prepared for that also. Make sure you go to this area just to the west of Vik, it's incredible.

Remember that you're not going to be taking any photos that a thousand people before you haven't already taken so really try to enjoy it for yourself and not worry so much about taking a unique photo of some of these sites. They're also probably going to be super crowded with tour buses and poo poo like that if you're going to the big 3-4 waterfalls along the southern coast. They're still well worth seeing but driving east past Vik gives you some great scenery that isn't so busy.

Stop and pet the horses.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

huhu posted:

I took most of my very first 'real camera' photos in Iceland last year while hilariously naive about almost everything photography. Thus, almost all of them are garbage, but these two are less garbage than the rest.

It's already been said, but the nature is everywhere and can't be missed.

The secret tip I'll share is to pack a good street lens and *go hang out with the locals*. It isn't super hard, if you're not completely brazen about saying hello. My group went out for an afternoon Budweiser at America Bar on the 4th of July, and accidentally spent 12 hours getting to know some awesome locals while barhopping. In hindsight, I wish I had been better equipped and prepared to take pictures.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head