Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mordekaiser is basically every Juggernaut on release/rework. A little numerically strong but mostly just new enough people are bad at fighting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

My biggest pet peeve is when someone is sucking horribly, just horribly in ranked games. Then when it is pointed out, as some sort of sympathy card, they say something like "Sorry, first time Syndra" or, "200 points Tristana". That just makes me hate you more. Play it in unranked so you don't drag yourself and everyone else down.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Anidav posted:

You can literally duel support every time without much punishment.

then absorb the AP of that support and crush the ADC.

Yeah that was my thought when I saw the ability- like why would you “1v1 me bro” their fed Fiora when you could pick off their Nami entirely for free and make the game 4v5 half the time

I like Nami :(

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Midig posted:

My biggest pet peeve is when someone is sucking horribly, just horribly in ranked games. Then when it is pointed out, as some sort of sympathy card, they say something like "Sorry, first time Syndra" or, "200 points Tristana". That just makes me hate you more. Play it in unranked so you don't drag yourself and everyone else down.

On the flipside, if I'm playing like poo poo on one of my high mastery champs and my team goes into /all chat and says "report Quinn", I'll flash the mastery emote every single time they complain

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Yeah that was my thought when I saw the ability- like why would you “1v1 me bro” their fed Fiora when you could pick off their Nami entirely for free and make the game 4v5 half the time

I like Nami :(
i was going to put down a huge very high level analytic post explaining why this strategy is not actually as strong as it seems, but the fact is the new morde is just crazy strong so it doesnt matter if the strategy does not make ... strategic sense... the raw power of the kaiser is enough to overwhelm any sort of weaknesses that occur as a result of removing your front line juggernaut to 1v1 the enemy support

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Midig posted:

"Pointing it out" (as if the person isn't already aware that they're playing poorly like what do you think they're thinking "oh my 0-9" score on this champion I'm not used to is entirely my team's fault") is almost certainly at least, if not more, of an anti-social act than playing a new champion in ranked. They're probably feeling lovely enough as it is, what could you possibly achieve other than stroking your own ego, and venting anger on a stranger? When you press Enter to type "dude stop dying" (or whatever your personal version is, I've obviously seen hundreds of them in as a person who plays this game), what productive end-goal could you possibly be working towards?

It might also be worth tackling the deeper issues that make it fundamentally hosed up that you might "hate" someone Playing A Video Game Wrong (while making a good faith attempt to Not Play It Wrong; we're not even discussing actual trolls here), but I'll leave that to your own introspection for now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

pog boyfriend posted:

i was going to put down a huge very high level analytic post explaining why this strategy is not actually as strong as it seems, but the fact is the new morde is just crazy strong so it doesnt matter if the strategy does not make ... strategic sense... the raw power of the kaiser is enough to overwhelm any sort of weaknesses that occur as a result of removing your front line juggernaut to 1v1 the enemy support

These people crawling out from the sewer and screaming PICK MORDE FOR ME OR I FEED.

Then the other team bans morde

"gg ff gg ff ggff"

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Mordekaiser is basically every Juggernaut on release/rework. A little numerically strong but mostly just new enough people are bad at fighting him.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Dancer posted:

"Pointing it out" (as if the person isn't already aware that they're playing poorly like what do you think they're thinking "oh my 0-9" score on this champion I'm not used to is entirely my team's fault") is almost certainly at least, if not more, of an anti-social act than playing a new champion in ranked. They're probably feeling lovely enough as it is, what could you possibly achieve other than stroking your own ego, and venting anger on a stranger? When you press Enter to type "dude stop dying" (or whatever your personal version is, I've obviously seen hundreds of them in as a person who plays this game), what productive end-goal could you possibly be working towards?

It might also be worth tackling the deeper issues that make it fundamentally hosed up that you might "hate" someone Playing A Video Game Wrong (while making a good faith attempt to Not Play It Wrong; we're not even discussing actual trolls here), but I'll leave that to your own introspection for now.

Armchair psychology aside. I think if you go into a ranked game, there is an unwritten rule that you go in with the mindset that you aim to win the game. Some people are better than others and have lovely games, so while I am somewhat mad, I know deep down that could have been me. But you cannot have any hope of winning first time with a new champ. Even if you got a feeding enemy laner you wouldn't know how to use that champ during endgame. It is just dumb on purpose. Even if it's just a game, you are wasting peoples time. People here complain about RQing because it genuinely ruins the game for your entire team, but if you first time a champ you might as well have just RQ as far as your team is concerned.

As for what to do when feeding. Stop feeding. Don't go in range of their abilities, stand back get exp and gold and allow your teammates to carry. Accept that you lost the laning phase and minimize losses.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Dancer posted:

Armchair psychology aside. I think if you go into a ranked game, there is an unwritten rule that you go in with the mindset that you aim to win the game. Some people are better than others and have lovely games, so while I am somewhat mad, I know deep down that could have been me. But you cannot have any hope of carrying first time with a new champ (assuming you are not A LOT better than everyone else). Even if you got a feeding enemy laner you wouldn't know how to use that champ during endgame. It is just dumb on purpose. Even if it's just a game, you are wasting peoples time. People here complain about RQing because it genuinely ruins the game for your entire team, but if you first time a champ you might as well have just RQ as far as your team is concerned.

As for what to do when feeding. Stop feeding. Don't go in range of their abilities, stand back get exp and gold and allow your teammates to carry. Accept that you lost the laning phase and minimize losses. So if someone tells you to stop dying, actually listen to them?

Midig fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 13, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Midig posted:

Armchair psychology aside. I think if you go into a ranked game, there is an unwritten rule that you go in with the mindset that you aim to win the game. Some people are better than others and have lovely games, so while I am somewhat mad, I know deep down that could have been me. But you cannot have any hope of winning first time with a new champ. Even if you got a feeding enemy laner you wouldn't know how to use that champ during endgame. It is just dumb on purpose. Even if it's just a game, you are wasting peoples time. People here complain about RQing because it genuinely ruins the game for your entire team, but if you first time a champ you might as well have just RQ as far as your team is concerned.

As for what to do when feeding. Stop feeding. Don't go in range of their abilities, stand back get exp and gold and allow your teammates to carry. Accept that you lost the laning phase and minimize losses.

it's easy to say "play passive" but this game has a good number of junglers that can dive towers, and someone who's ahead from freefarming isn''t much less dangerous than someone who's ahead from kills

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just don't be one of those guys who background checks your teammates stats every game and then uses that as fuel for toxic rage ingame.

Some examples I've seen while smurfing on various accounts in just recent memory.

"This guy has 48% winrate? gently caress you and your dog I can't carry this dumbfuck and that is why I am 0/6 in my lane and running it down"
"This guy hasn't played any games on this account in 2 months? gently caress you gently caress your dad and gently caress your mom and gently caress your dog twice, I'm going to spend the next 35 minutes blaming this guy for everything that goes wrong, like my lane going 0/6"
"This guy hasn't played the champion before (on this account)? gently caress this entire planet I'm done gg ff at 15 and every 5 minutes afterwards despite the fact the guy has been carrying the rest of the team so hard it didn't matter I went 0/6"

I've seen all this in like, the last month alone.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Midig posted:

You need to change your mindset from "How dare this loving idiot monster subject me to their terrible play. They need to learn their loving place so they don't inconvenience me, the main character." To "Yo bro sorry you're having a bad game. It happens to the best of us."

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Midig posted:

Armchair psychology aside. I think if you go into a ranked game, there is an unwritten rule that you go in with the mindset that you aim to win the game. Some people are better than others and have lovely games, so while I am somewhat mad, I know deep down that could have been me. But you cannot have any hope of carrying first time with a new champ (assuming you are not A LOT better than everyone else). Even if you got a feeding enemy laner you wouldn't know how to use that champ during endgame. It is just dumb on purpose. Even if it's just a game, you are wasting peoples time. People here complain about RQing because it genuinely ruins the game for your entire team, but if you first time a champ you might as well have just RQ as far as your team is concerned.

As for what to do when feeding. Stop feeding. Don't go in range of their abilities, stand back get exp and gold and allow your teammates to carry. Accept that you lost the laning phase and minimize losses. So if someone tells you to stop dying, actually listen to them?

your entire post history in this thread is bitching about pubbies. quit being a twat and don't play on tilt.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Midig posted:

I think if you go into a ranked game, there is an unwritten rule that you go in with the mindset that you aim to win the game.

Can I assume you sometimes play despite having not had enough sleep the night before? Or maybe you're in a noisy environment, or you're listening to music, making you more likely to miss sound cues? Or you forget to turn off some background processes or Windows update or some other updates, which might freeze your computer at an inopportune moment?

Then congratulations, you are insufficiently "aiming to win the game", just like those people who dare have different reasons to pick a champion than you. If you weren't irresponsible, you would not join a ranked game in sub-optimal playing conditions.

Midig posted:

It is just dumb on purpose. Even if it's just a game, you are wasting peoples time.

By your own words you condemn yourself, scoundrel. I have prepared the guillotine.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
To your point, I'll just pick Raka if I get filled mid, since she's my highest mastery champ and I don't have any midlaners above M3

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Mordekaiser's WR early is looking nuts. I mean I know he's a new champ so it's gonna be all over but he's looking like a potential case for a hotfix nerf.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Midig posted:

the only time i get in conflict with players is if i feel someone on either team is trash talking someone for doing poorly, at which point i say “leave them alone, it is bad enough being 0/4” or some variation thereof. people play games for varying reasons, and as a complete stranger you have no right to dictate how people choose to use their time.

what i can tell you is this: your mentality does not work. telling a player to stop feeding will never work, and what you are suggesting is effectively to throw the game but in a way that feels less bad. instead of telling people to stop feeding, ask if they need help. suggest lane swaps. telling someone to forfeit the lane and sit around twiddling their thumbs destroys team morale and ultimately loses the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Servaetes posted:

Mordekaiser's WR early is looking nuts. I mean I know he's a new champ so it's gonna be all over but he's looking like a potential case for a hotfix nerf.

u.gg's putting him at a nearly 56% winrate with a high pickrate, so that seems likely.

pog boyfriend posted:

the only time i get in conflict with players is if i feel someone on either team is trash talking someone for doing poorly, at which point i say 'leave them alone, it is bad enough being 0/4' or some variation thereof. people play games for varying reasons, and as a complete stranger you have no right to dictate how people choose to use their time.

what i can tell you is this: your mentality does not work. telling a player to stop feeding will never work, and what you are suggesting is effectively to throw the game but in a way that feels less bad. instead of telling people to stop feeding, ask if they need help. suggest lane swaps. telling someone to forfeit the lane and sit around twiddling their thumbs destroys team morale and ultimately loses the game.

This is all 100% accurate. You really gotta adjust your mentality or else you're going to be stuck in high Silver/low Gold feeling miserable forever.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And if you can be one less person crying GG after first kill that would be great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The best part of playing Ezreal is getting an early klepto proc and pinging your 5 gold and your entire team saying GG.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Vermain posted:

u.gg's putting him at a nearly 56% winrate with a high pickrate, so that seems likely.

The fact that he has a higher WR mid than top is kind of odd and concerning to me. I understand why he'd be strong top lane into a lot of melee matchups but I thought ranged champions would be able to counter his immobility and relatively short range. Although I guess having a "1v1 me bro" button at level 6 counters a lot of the poke champions.

Edit: Also, to echo the sentiment here, yes, for the love of god, quit telling people on tilt to quit feeding. As a tiltlord myself there's nothing that makes me rage more than some dumbshit on the other side of the map telling me to "play safe" when I can't even get within xp range without getting dove by the enemy laner + jungler.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Action George posted:

The fact that he has a higher WR mid than top is kind of odd and concerning to me. I understand why he'd be strong top lane into a lot of melee matchups but I thought ranged champions would be able to counter his immobility and relatively short range. Although I guess having a "1v1 me bro" button at level 6 counters a lot of the poke champions.

u.gg does not support this claim, what source are you using? it could very much just be sample size issues, the difference in winrate could be insignificant

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

u.gg does not support this claim, what source are you using? it could very much just be sample size issues, the difference in winrate could be insignificant

Op.gg, but yeah, looking at some other sites it seems to be a sampling issue. I'd still say that given his kit that having a positive winrate mid is probably a bad sign, given his kit seems custom made to dueling it out with the other bruisers top lane.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mordekaiser is actually the Juggernaut with the "longest" catch range in that he builds rylai's first and his e actually is quite a long range. So he can punish ranged champs that other juggernaut's cannot normally reach by timing e and q to set-up for his one auto passive.

Also Nashor's Tooth is straight up good on him. You do even more magic damage on autos, and get 20% cdr so you can do everything you do well more often. Gunblade also extends his catch range nicely and I think morde might be the hardest Juggernaut to actually run away from in general thanks to AP items being more broad in effect then the items available to ad juggernauts.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The "use your ult on the support for a free kill to make the fight a 5v4 and get free stats" bit seems kinda overstated imo. There are definitely some champs you can do that to, but quite a few supports can just keep his slow rear end off of them and stall until the ult expires. Janna, for example. And when you're both out of that fight, I would imagine the first team is missing their beefy frontliner more than the second is missing their support.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/MarkYetter/status/1139226368443441155

who could have foreseen????

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

once again i am proven right. at this point it is a cursed existence

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
true story I got hella fed playing Zed and a mordekaiser who was like three levels and 2000 gold behind me absolutely destroyed me 1v1.

we still won tho

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I understand what you guys are saying, my point was that you wouldn't say "first time X" in a ranked game to garner sympathy if you did bad. Since anyone can have a bad game, but first time picking is just setting yourself up for failure, which is fine by all means in unranked. If I wanna troll or just have fun with my pal going Singed + Yuumi bot lane I do that in unranked and laugh at anyone who flames me.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The Shortest Path posted:

The "use your ult on the support for a free kill to make the fight a 5v4 and get free stats" bit seems kinda overstated imo. There are definitely some champs you can do that to, but quite a few supports can just keep his slow rear end off of them and stall until the ult expires. Janna, for example. And when you're both out of that fight, I would imagine the first team is missing their beefy frontliner more than the second is missing their support.

Usually the showdown is over pretty quickly because he currently shits out too much damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Midig posted:

I understand what you guys are saying, my point was that you wouldn't say "first time X" in a ranked game to garner sympathy if you did bad. Since anyone can have a bad game, but first time picking is just setting yourself up for failure, which is fine by all means in unranked. If I wanna troll or just have fun with my pal going Singed + Yuumi bot lane I do that in unranked and laugh at anyone who flames me.

I mean, okay, but perhaps you shouldn't be saying poo poo that puts people on the defensive in the first place. Why bother?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

If the support is integral to peeling off assassins and the sturdier forms of dive that's a huge hole that was just opened up

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vermain posted:

I mean, okay, but perhaps you shouldn't be saying poo poo that puts people on the defensive in the first place. Why bother?

95% of the time people who say "first time X" in draft are trying to tilt teammates into dodging so they don't have to. Almost always if you get to the loading screen after that you'll see they're mastery 6-7, it doesn't work so well now we can actually see mastery points on the loading screen.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Vermain posted:

Who said I did?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

How are they still so bad at this

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
seems fine? oh no a champion was too strong for three days

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

We all know it's never happened where a champ's launched with a crazy high winrate and fallen off a cliff the instant people figure out how to counter and play against them.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
id much rather them release a champ thats too strong that gets swift changes over the next couple weeks than a champion thats weak and gets incremental buffs over the next three months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reality Sinner posted:

How are they still so bad at this

The PBE is extremely, extremely bad for getting statistically meaningful raw data due to several factors. Riot August told a story about how Rengar's PBE winrate was some comically high number (like 60-70%) that plummeted to the mid-40s on live release. The best that you can do is ballpark the numbers, internally test to refine them, and then aggressively micropatch if the numbers turn out to be wrong.