Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

here is the point I was trying to make yesterday: I want to live in a world where cops treat everyone the same way they treat nazis.

Not every cop is bad, but taken as a whole the right wing elements of policing are willing to infiltrate left wing protest groups, kettle them in at protests and pepper spray everyone etc. But the most extreme left wing thing cops are willing to do is to follow the armed nazis around while wearing a pride sticker to make sure they don't attack anyone. And while the cops doing their job and preventing nazis from committing violent acts isn't a bad thing, when compared to the extra legal things some elements of law enforcement are allowed to get away with against anyone to the left of Biden it leaves a sour taste in my mouth

I don't think anyone here in GIP is a bad cop. The problem is that the institution of law enforcement in this country does not give you the framework to be a good cop. At best you can do your job like a normal person with integrity, but you are 100% not equipped to counter the right wing elements. YOU ARE NOT A GOOD JOB. This is not your fault. The system does not allow anyone to be a good job. I know this because I was a marine grunt. The best I could do was not commit war crimes. That doesn't make me good, that makes me neutral. I saw an attempted war crime (thank god the dipshit can't aim) but what the gently caress could I do to report it?

I mean Chichevache can't infiltrate a nazi group because he'd get made instantly by another cop that knows him.

One of the main problems is that there is little overall authority governing police behavior. I think one of the cops talked about how the academies are actually decent, the problem comes when they get to the force. And well, that kinda goes back to what I mean which is that once people get on the force there are always going to be elements pulling people to the right, and the normal cops aren't equipped in any way to combat that.

The right spends a lot more time signing up then the left.....maybe if some of you commies would also sign up or volunteer to dispatch or be a fire fighter there would be opposing voices but as it is it's a sea of red hats and apathetic fuckheads. I'm mean hell I'd love to hear something other then some tin hat qanon conspiracies at work but hey it dosen't look like that's going to change any time soon cause when one side does nothing but say ACAB over and over again it makes good people hesitate to sign up. Also this isn't ment to be a personal attack mearly my take on the situation, I firmly belive if more leftist would actually try to be the change they want to see in the world instead of talking poo poo from the side walks the bad apples would have a much harder time in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1138936855435591681

:allears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does Donnie's hair look especially lovely today?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You're just paying too much attention.

It always looks like a heap of white elephant poo poo on his head.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/mistermegative/status/1138806505116000256?s=19

Local vet gets mad at Infinity Ward for trying to decide how much punishment you get for shooting babies based on whether it was intentional or accidental

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well are you playing as a SEAL this time? Cuz I'd so wouldnt it be none?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Stravag posted:

Well are you playing as a SEAL this time? Cuz I'd so wouldnt it be none?

https://twitter.com/mistermegative/status/1138806507229843461

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You're just paying too much attention.

It always looks like a heap of white elephant poo poo on his head.

I prefer the description of it as "diabetic piss thrown in a cotton candy machine"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They usually remember to tan his eyelids before there's a closeup.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I thought about trying to get on with a police dept. when I separated, but the pay is laughable, and frankly who wants to do shift work for 40k* a year? Especially when the job requires at least two years of formal education.

I think if they upped the pay and made it more competitive, then you would probably get a better police force, but why would you want to take that job when you couldn't even pay your mortgage (out here at least)?

*pay could be higher, and probably is, but when I was thinking seriously about it, that was the average starting salary at most depts. in Colorado, in 2011.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Thank God we'll spend a record amount of money on a piece of poo poo plane

It's a good airplane.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

bengy81 posted:

I thought about trying to get on with a police dept. when I separated, but the pay is laughable, and frankly who wants to do shift work for 40k* a year? Especially when the job requires at least two years of formal education.

I think if they upped the pay and made it more competitive, then you would probably get a better police force, but why would you want to take that job when you couldn't even pay your mortgage (out here at least)?

*pay could be higher, and probably is, but when I was thinking seriously about it, that was the average starting salary at most depts. in Colorado, in 2011.

Several state waive education requirements to vets for police, fire, and EMS, if you can pass the written test and practical your good.....its why there are so God drat many vet cops.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I think the issue here is the perception is that the institutions of policing In the US are largely immune to internal reform. By now we’ve all probably heard of what the NYPD did to Adrian Schoolcraft, and I would think that there’s more than a few people who would make great cops who look at that and think “yeah, I’d rather not be thrown in a psych ward and get legit gang stalked by my former peers for crying foul on hosed up policies.” And if this is in one of the largest departments in the country, imagine how it could be in a small town where the officers are the sons or close friends of the chief, and have direct influence on your career or whether your backup shows up when you call for it.

By no means are you wrong. Society in general would be better for if everyone had some base participation in its institutions a la national service and so forth. Maybe part of that could be receiving some basic police training like the explorers program and have the trainees do rudimentary stuff that doesn’t require specialized knowledge or afford them a badge, gun or arrest rights. At least there’d be a greater understanding of policing. You could even expand the program to include firefighting like Cal Fire, etc.

Also, as an aside, I’d be interested in hearing from Smiling Jack about what Schoolcraft’s reputation is within NYPD these days; I’d imagine there’s probably at least a few cops who listened to those episodes of This American Life.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/mistermegative/status/1138806505116000256?s=19

Local vet gets mad at Infinity Ward for trying to decide how much punishment you get for shooting babies based on whether it was intentional or accidental

I took away a different msg. I took away, "Look, don't loving bother, because it's pandering and it doesn't add anything to the game, and belittles the actual moral injuries caused by war"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

I took away a different msg. I took away, "Look, don't loving bother, because it's pandering and it doesn't add anything to the game, and belittles the actual moral injuries caused by war"

Pretty much this, don't bother to attempt to depict war realistically, because it is impossible to do so. It is a uniquely horrifying and terrifying experience that pray you never have to experience. Nothing good comes from war, only more dead bodies.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Melthir posted:

Several state waive education requirements to vets for police, fire, and EMS, if you can pass the written test and practical your good.....its why there are so God drat many vet cops.

This just compounds the police's imagined victimhood even further.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bengy81 posted:

Even after putting myself through academy and graduating I got dropped from San Jose hiring process for smoking too much dope 15 years prior. San Francisco dropped me for being 200lbs at 5’ 11. Reapply when you weigh 165. Too many busted knees.

It’s a tough job but the hiring process favors military and kids right out of 2 college with next to no life experience. Doesn’t seem like the best way to police a community.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This just compounds the police's imagined victimhood even further.

Yeah, but it's a symptom. If decent applicants were clamoring to get in the door, you wouldn't see these incentives. Just like the military...the in-demand/awesome jobs don't get the huge signing bonuses.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't see how the message is different at all but yeah :agreed:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I had Baltimore PD try to recruit me because I was a vet and I politely told them to gently caress off because no way would I be a cop in a city I didn't grow up in. Baltimore PD also has a huuuuuge image problem. They're like the poster child for hosed up police.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I took a class called "Ethics in Peace in Conflict"- it mostly Just War theory.
I'll be frank- I loved combat. I've never been unafraid in my life EXCEPT for combat. I'm broken, and hosed up, and I know it.
I'm also a troll, so I took every opportunity to gently caress with people. At the end of class, we had to talk about our perspective on war, how it changed, blah blah blah.
I have done nothing but talk about how great combat is from a personal perspective, so everyone was expecting some hosed up poo poo from me. My response was simple:
"War is always an immoral act. You are sending your children to kill other children."
It's the truth. No matter how you dress it up, it's kids killing kids in the name of... Whatever.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

orange juche posted:

I had Baltimore PD try to recruit me because I was a vet and I politely told them to gently caress off because no way would I be a cop in a city I didn't grow up in. Baltimore PD also has a huuuuuge image problem. They're like the poster child for hosed up police.

Yeah but you could reenact The Wire.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Flying_Crab posted:

Yeah but you could reenact The Wire.

If he got recruited for BCPD, he already knows The Wire is a doc.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

orange juche posted:

Every time I ended up talking to BCPD, wether it was working event security or just regular bouncing and some kid was about to spend a night in the drunk tank, it never failed that they'd start talking up the salary and benefits. gently caress that. I might look county but I grew up in and around the city, I know better than to stick my dick in that hornet's nest. Told them I already made one really loving stupid decision and I'd learned from that, thank you very much.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
-Isaac Asimov

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RFC2324 posted:

-Isaac Asimov

"shoot first, ask questions later."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

-Isaac Asimov

"gently caress off with that hippie human being talk." -some Squad Leader, somewhere, at this exact second.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bengy81 posted:

Colorado Springs has post-training, starting wage around $52k now. El Paso county, a little better. Denver cops are clearing around $60k and Pueblo is pulling up the suck somewhere around $45k.

So not that bad anymore. Still not great. I somehow remember that from when the local news ran a piece on it after an officer was shot last year, like publicizing the pay is gonna make people jump all over it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

Even after putting myself through academy and graduating I got dropped from San Jose hiring process for smoking too much dope 15 years prior. San Francisco dropped me for being 200lbs at 5’ 11. Reapply when you weigh 165. Too many busted knees.

It’s a tough job but the hiring process favors military and kids right out of 2 college with next to no life experience. Doesn’t seem like the best way to police a community.

:hfive: SJPD cares too much about weed bros

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

-Isaac Asimov

Asimov was well known to be a serial groper and women attending science fiction conventions were warned to not let themselves get in a situation where they were alone with him, and he used his position within the SFF community to have their husbands/boyfriends thrown out of conventions if they complained or tried to stop him.

adds a certain *in an extremely nerd voice* '"violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" i continue to insist as i corner a woman in a elevator' spin to it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Golden age sci-fi can be hard to read these days because we've moved past thinking that technology is neutral and by default a force for good. And I guess also because so many of the authors were revealed to be rapers.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 13, 2019

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Current event: just got back from dinner at Fogo de Chow.

It was absolutely delicious and I'm never going back there again for as long as I live.

When they recover my body, tell them the cause of death was meat overdose.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BigDave posted:

It was absolutely delicious and I'm never going back there again for as long as I live.

Those Brazilian steak places are the only restaurant that gives me the meat sweats

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's just the logical progression from the CoD where you go to your Marine buddy's funeral and press F to simulate grieving.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

McNally posted:

More movement on HR 553 since I last posted on it. The bill is up to 342 cosponsors and is on track to be added to the Consensus Calendar sometime around July 15th. These are the congressfuckers who have cosponsored since May 31st:

Rep. Fortenberry, Jeff [R-NE-1] 06/03/2019
Rep. Higgins, Clay [R-LA-3] 06/03/2019
Rep. Harder, Josh [D-CA-10] 06/03/2019
Rep. Stanton, Greg [D-AZ-9] 06/03/2019
Rep. Omar, Ilhan [D-MN-5] 06/03/2019
Rep. Lucas, Frank D. [R-OK-3] 06/04/2019
Rep. Quigley, Mike [D-IL-5] 06/04/2019
Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16] 06/04/2019
Rep. Keating, William R. [D-MA-9] 06/04/2019
Rep. Lujan, Ben Ray [D-NM-3] 06/06/2019
Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8] 06/06/2019
Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-11] 06/06/2019
Rep. Lieu, Ted [D-CA-33] 06/10/2019
Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9] 06/10/2019
Rep. Pressley, Ayanna [D-MA-7] 06/10/2019

The losers who haven't signed on yet are:

Alabama: 4th, 6th
Arizona: 5th, 6th
California: 2nd, 11th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th, 34th, 35th, 43rd, 45th, 50th
Florida: 3rd, 11th, 19th, 23rd, 27th
Georgia: 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 14th
Idaho: 1st
Illinois: 3rd, 14th, 18th
Indiana: 1st, 6th, 9th
Kansas: 3rd, 4th
Kentucky: 4th, 5th
Louisiana: 6th
Maryland: 5th
Michigan: 3rd, 13th
Minnesota: 6th
Mississippi: 2nd, 3rd
Missouri: 6th
Nebraska: 3rd
New Hampshire: 2nd
New Jersey: 9th
New York: 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 19th, 23rd, 25th
North Carolina: 1st, 5th, 6th, 10th
Ohio: 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 16th
Oklahoma: 5th
Oregon: 3rd
Pennsylvania: 4th, 9th, 10th
South Carolina: 6th
South Dakota: You only have the one
Texas: 3rd, 7th, 9th, 13th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 27th, 29th, 30th
Washington: 9th
Wisconsin: 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

The Senate has bumped up to 73 with the addition of Bill Cassidy (R-LA). The remaining Senators are:

Shelby, Richard C. - (R - AL)
Isakson, Johnny - (R - GA)
Perdue, David - (R - GA)
Ernst, Joni - (R - IA)
Grassley, Chuck - (R - IA)
Braun, Mike - (R - IN)
Young, Todd - (R - IN)
McConnell, Mitch - (R - KY)
Kennedy, John - (R - LA)
King, Angus S., Jr. - (I - ME)
Hawley, Josh - (R - MO)
Wicker, Roger F. - (R - MS)
Fischer, Deb - (R - NE)
Sasse, Ben - (R - NE)
Portman, Rob - (R - OH)
Lankford, James - (R - OK)
Toomey, Patrick J. - (R - PA)
Reed, Jack - (D - RI)
Thune, John - (R - SD)
Lee, Mike - (R - UT)
Romney, Mitt - (R - UT)
Kaine, Tim - (D - VA)
Warner, Mark R. - (D - VA)
Johnson, Ron - (R - WI)
Barrasso, John - (R - WY)
Enzi, Michael B. - (R - WY)

Weird how these bills have so much more support from Democrats than Republicans.

Ugh. loving Ernst still isn't on board? She spends 99% of her time at home wailing about how she's a vet and we need to take care of ARE TROOPs, goddamnit.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BigDave posted:

Its Fogo de Chão, o imbecil.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://sports.theonion.com/st-louis-officials-encourage-celebrating-blues-fans-to-1835468347

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bloomberg: Trump Offers to Negotiate Price of J&J Anti-Depressant for VA.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-12/trump-offers-to-negotiate-price-of-j-j-anti-depressant-for-va

Goddamnit. Why.

Awful app is moving at the pace of an octogenarian three way.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Two oil tankers attacked in the Gulf of Oman

Desktop version currently runs like crap as well

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah it's slow as hell. Doing something with search