Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I’m not gonna read 1250 pages but, is a teleporter room necessary? Could some dick on the controls teleport you into the men’s restroom where Sulu is scrubbing his taint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Robokomodo posted:

Could some dick on the controls teleport you into the men’s restroom where Sulu is scrubbing his taint?

No because I would already be there in the way.

“Oh, myyyyy.”

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Robokomodo posted:

I’m not gonna read 1250 pages but, is a teleporter room necessary? Could some dick on the controls teleport you into the men’s restroom where Sulu is scrubbing his taint?

yeah what is the deal with this anyway?

ok according to memory alpha "site to site" transport was a later development but there has never been any explanation as to why you wouldn't always do that. presumably it's more efficient and safer to use the transporter pad but i guess this all depends on plot purposes.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 12, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

yeah what is the deal with this anyway?

ok according to memory alpha "site to site" transport was a later development but there has never been any explanation as to why you wouldn't always do that. presumably it's more efficient and safer to use the transporter pad but i guess this all depends on plot purposes.

Mostly narrative, but one could see the transporter room providing safer transportation in hazardous/less-feasible transporter circumstances, the kind of places they set up the glowy transporter rods on the other end for.

Yes, you can do site-to-site easily enough, but using the transporter room is safer/more thorough, because even if future Earthers are totally blase about the transporters compared to today, there's no reason not to use the safest version possible if it isn't an emergency.

*waves hands around*

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

EimiYoshikawa posted:

*waves hands around*

Commander Riker, that gesture is deeply offensive to my people. Please stop.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Commander Riker, that gesture is deeply offensive to my people. Please stop.

*waves trombone around while loudly playing it instead*

naem
May 29, 2011

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've been enjoying the bullshiting of this thread, and it inspired me to start ds9. I've watched all of TNG and Voyager previously.

I'm only a handful of episodes in and ds9 is fine so far. That one episode with the species that puts them into the board game was atrocious though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've been enjoying the bullshiting of this thread, and it inspired me to start ds9. I've watched all of TNG and Voyager previously.

I'm only a handful of episodes in and ds9 is fine so far. That one episode with the species that puts them into the board game was atrocious though

That episode is so fun and weird. I want to hang with those aliens.

If you ever think an episode of DS9 is bad, just remember: " DRINK! IT'S THE ANTIDOTE!"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There is nothing wrong with that episode.

I hope those cool aliens didn't get hosed by the Dominion when a Vorta got sucked into the game or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know the vorta would like it. They probably have as good relationships with the Dominion as those Tullaberry Wine Red aliens

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That episode is so fun and weird. I want to hang with those aliens.

If you ever think an episode of DS9 is bad, just remember: " DRINK! IT'S THE ANTIDOTE!"

Also, why didn’t Quark start making deals to get that game all over the Alpha Quadrant?

I love tabletop games and my peeve when I first saw the episode was why did they make the game so dangerous? The ending “It is only a game” line made me laugh. It is nice that the aliens have a healthy understanding of their passion. I would invite them over for game night.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

MA-Horus posted:

There is nothing wrong with that episode.

I hope those cool aliens didn't get hosed by the Dominion when a Vorta got sucked into the game or something.

Weyoun would have loved them.

I am guessing they were already a part of the Dominion. The Dominion lets their subjects travel and do whatever as long as they don’t make a fuss or rebel.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The wormhole comes out a little beyond the dominion border so some of the aliens they meet aren't dominion subjects.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Xenocides posted:

Also, why didn’t Quark start making deals to get that game all over the Alpha Quadrant?

I love tabletop games and my peeve when I first saw the episode was why did they make the game so dangerous? The ending “It is only a game” line made me laugh. It is nice that the aliens have a healthy understanding of their passion. I would invite them over for game night.

It turns a typically weird alien Trek episode great with just that line. They might love games, but they're not loving crazy. "The game doesn't kill you in real life, idiots. How nuts do you think we are?"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mossyfisk posted:

The wormhole comes out a little beyond the dominion border so some of the aliens they meet aren't dominion subjects.

Yet.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

You guys have a remarkably different perspective on that than I do. These (terribly acted) aliens abduct the four most senior people on the station, and Odo let's them just keep playing the game??

I love board games but the premise for that setup felt absurd even for Star Trek. Like they could have had it set up by the aliens asking Sisko if he and his officers wanted to play a game, and then just zap them in when they agreed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HARDLY

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I can ideated the appeal to most of the people in this thread, but that episode is torture on a first time watch. It's slow, badly acted, and doesn't fit with the theme of the show when the show is just taking it's baby steps. Had it happened later on in the series it might have been a happy episode in the middle of the dark ones, like the baseball episode, but it really doesn't work in the first season.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The main Wadi reminds me of Paul F Thompkins

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CaptainSkinny posted:

I can ideated the appeal to most of the people in this thread, but that episode is torture on a first time watch. It's slow, badly acted, and doesn't fit with the theme of the show when the show is just taking it's baby steps. Had it happened later on in the series it might have been a happy episode in the middle of the dark ones, like the baseball episode, but it really doesn't work in the first season.

You think it's worse the first time?

At least then you don't know what's coming. I think it's terrible trying to rewatch it because you know how awkward it is and what the rest of series is like. It's one of the rare auto-skips of DS9 imo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
skipping sisko's skipping, for shame.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
bunch of scrubs who start on the first shap smdh

i do not think these guys look that bad & have also not seen the episode

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

lol but posted:

bunch of scrubs who start on the first shap smdh

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm out of Netflix Star Treks to rewatch besides Voyager :negative: I dont have any other streaming services and I cant be arsed to :filez: Orville or Discovery so I might be stuck.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Danaru posted:

I'm out of Netflix Star Treks to rewatch besides Voyager :negative: I dont have any other streaming services and I cant be arsed to :filez: Orville or Discovery so I might be stuck.

Drop Netflix to do Hulu for a little while. Hulu has some worthwhile stuff to check out for a month or two. Orville, Brooklyn 99, get some MASH if you haven't seen it before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

Sidenote, but if you're in Australia then The Orville is on SBS's free streaming service.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Danaru posted:

you have watched tas, right? i think that's still on netflix.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Watch Babylon 5

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Danaru posted:

Do it. Watch Voyager. I myself still need to watch Nemesis, Into Darkness and Beyond. I swear, I'm gonna do it some day. I have seen everything else, what's another six hours?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The General posted:

Do it. Watch Voyager. I myself still need to watch Nemesis, Into Darkness and Beyond. I swear, I'm gonna do it some day. I have seen everything else, what's another six hours?
Beyond is mostly forgettable but it's definitely not deserving of being in the same conversation as Nemesis and Into Darkness.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Beyond is mostly forgettable but it's definitely not deserving of being in the same conversation as Nemesis and Into Darkness.

Beyond is a pretty decent little action movie if not the best Star Trek movie.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pick posted:

Watch Babylon 5

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

It made my grizzled black charcoal heart feel something for the first time in years. More than I could say for the three previous TV shows. And then I heard about Disco being boring and cynical and depressing and stopped feeling again.

I liked DS9 but this is all that show and R D Moore’s fault. I understand that Roddenbery and his no personal drama thing sucked, but going full reverse and taking away the positivity and trying to have everything be gritty and grey all the loving time just turned everything into poo poo.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

From season 2:

:females:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pick posted:

Watch Babylon 5

Yes, this applies to lol but as well, I love his little recaps of the episodes, very nostalgic somehow

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i no longer trust streaming services for anything big after the following

amazon removed battlestar galactica from their free with prime line up while i was still on season 2 (i borrowed the rest of the dvds from a friend but still)

netflix uk removed community from the lineup, again while i was mid season 2 (apparently there was a leaving date but i didnt see it because i tend to watch on chromecast / ps4)

now tv removed elementary over a 'contract dispute' despite me actually checking the dates this time and it saying i had a few months. house is almost impossible to watch because it is listed twice and each listing has random episodes from random seasons, and if you add either season to favourites you end up with a blank season in your list with no episodes in it

it seems safer and more mentally stimulating to waste my life on video james

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xenocides posted:

It's basically just a holodeck program equivalent of an escape room, with the novelty coming from not telling the players what it was.

Funny thing is that we see a bit of it from the other end in Our Man Bashir where Garak finds a James Bond spoof near-incomprehensible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trast posted:

Beyond is a pretty decent little action movie if not the best Star Trek movie.

And you gotta love the NX love. Beyond gives more respect to the Enterprise series than the showrunners did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

ok that ds9 s01 ep where nobody can die

Why would they still be killing each other? Like after a few months, or even years of this, wouldn't you get bored with it? What's the point? And why would Sisko leave these people doomed to an eternity of this? That strikes me as especially cruel. Give the antidote to both sides, so they can at least all die. And worst of all, why did priest chick stay? What good is giving medical help to people that can't die???