Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

how do you square this belief with your own genetic history as a predatory ape?

What in tarnation am I reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chomp8645 posted:

What in tarnation am I reading?

I think that he means opportunistic ape.
We didn't always or just hunt.

We also ate nuts and tubers and poo poo that

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
substantial meat-eating is the big thing that separated our evolutionary line from, for example, gorillas and it provided a lot of the spare fat and protein required for our brains to grow to their characteristic size.

vegetation foraging is common to all large primates (including humans and our ancestor links).

it's a scientific fact that we are only where we are and what we are today because our ancestors ate lots and lots of cooked meat and it is further not arguable that they primarily hunted for it (as opposed to scavenged). hence, the term 'predatory ape'.

so, specifically, if we want to get into this, is it meat-eating as a whole that is not ok, even in the context of hunting and killing your otherwise happy prey, or is meat eating generally fine, it's farming that's the problem, and hunting a more humane form of meat acquisition than animal husbandry?

if the former, then you're acting against hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and that's a rather odd position to be in. if you want to take it, that's fine, but it's a lot harder to act like a smug dork when you've admitted this precept precisely because most people don't share it.

if the latter, your ideal world involves the status quo that resulted in the extinction of hundreds of species at the pressure of paleo humanity to acquire meat and you are agitating for a situation that will objectively result in more ecological ruin in return for being nebulously more moral. it is, again a lot harder to act like a smug dork when you've admitted this precept.

e: not that this truly matters now i guess because as i predicted the dude did not have the balls to talk about this honestly.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 13, 2019

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
it's probably the unnecessary suffering and death on industrial scales that people are objecting to

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheMaskedUgly posted:

it's probably the unnecessary suffering and death on industrial scales that people are objecting to

answer the questions coward

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I wish we'd stop raising dumb as a sack of rocks cows just to kill them when we have millions of horsies running around in the southwest eating and loving and messing poo poo up we can kill for tasty meats

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

thatguy posted:

I wish we'd stop raising dumb as a sack of rocks cows just to kill them when we have millions of horsies running around in the southwest eating and loving and messing poo poo up we can kill for tasty meats

our fatasses can't catch the horses, we need our meats slow and cumbersome

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Mnoba posted:

our fatasses can't catch the horses, we need our meats slow and cumbersome

you don't need to run fast to catch a dead horse

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
It's a pretty bizarre thing to argue that we evolved to do something so we should keep doing it forever, completely ignoring the entirety of all science outside of evolutionary history that all indicates that humans are perfectly capable of living quite healthily and successfully without eating meat.

It's also strange to try to argue that any kind of food would be worse for the environment than beef production.

It's also strange to ignore the fact that insects are healthier and less environmentally damaging of a food source than all the meat we eat now, and that the only reason we don't eat them now is because white people from a continent that didn't have good insects to eat took over the world and brought their cultural norms with them. Not to mention the lack of ethical concerns in farming insects, which all available science indicates do not experience pain or suffering in any way (nociception is not the same thing as pain).

...I guess it's not that strange if you understand that everyone who argues so much about how they have to eat meat constantly is just doing it because they have their masculinity all wrapped up in their meat consumption and aren't thinking about anything else in reality.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

thatguy posted:

This but for deer.

Venison is good eating and deer have 0 redeeming qualities otherwise

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

M Condriano posted:

It's also strange to ignore the fact that insects are healthier and less environmentally damaging of a food source than all the meat we eat now.

No one raises them in any kind of volume that would provide a means of proving the second part, and I'll need a citation on bugs being healthier than "all the meat."

But thank you for adding "not eating bugs" to the long list of poo poo white people get blamed for. It's at least a fresh take.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

M Condriano posted:

It's a pretty bizarre thing to argue that we evolved to do something so we should keep doing it forever, completely ignoring the entirety of all science outside of evolutionary history that all indicates that humans are perfectly capable of living quite healthily and successfully without eating meat.

It's also strange to try to argue that any kind of food would be worse for the environment than beef production.

It's also strange to ignore the fact that insects are healthier and less environmentally damaging of a food source than all the meat we eat now, and that the only reason we don't eat them now is because white people from a continent that didn't have good insects to eat took over the world and brought their cultural norms with them. Not to mention the lack of ethical concerns in farming insects, which all available science indicates do not experience pain or suffering in any way (nociception is not the same thing as pain).

...I guess it's not that strange if you understand that everyone who argues so much about how they have to eat meat constantly is just doing it because they have their masculinity all wrapped up in their meat consumption and aren't thinking about anything else in reality.

Some people enjoy eating meat, dude. Meat tastes good. So do dairy products. That bit about masculinity is really godamn weird.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 13, 2019

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Honky Dong Country posted:

Some people enjoy eating meat, dude. Meat tastes good. So do dairy products.

That's not what I was responding to. The people who eat meat and dairy because they taste good (myself included) do not write weird pseudoinformed arguments about evolution, they just say "I eat meat and dairy because they taste good."

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

No one raises them in any kind of volume that would provide a means of proving the second part, and I'll need a citation on bugs being healthier than "all the meat."

But thank you for adding "not eating bugs" to the long list of poo poo white people get blamed for. It's at least a fresh take.

It's actually not a fresh take, it's a pretty well-known fact academically, for anyone who's done research on the topic.

e: If you actually want citations, here they are in autogenerated MLA format.

Premalatha, M., T. Abbasi, and SA Abbasi. "Energy-Efficient Food Production to Reduce Global Warming and Ecodegradation: The use of Edible Insects." Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, no. 9, 2011, pp. 4357-4360. Science Direct, doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2011.07.115

van Huis, Arnold. "Edible Insects are the Future?" Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 75, no. 3, 2016, pp. 294-305. Cambridge Core, doi: 10.1017/S0029665116000069

ee: and here's one about white people being the reason humans stopped eating insects globally:

Looy, Heather, Florence V. Dunkel, and John R. Wood. "How then Shall we Eat? Insect-Eating Attitudes and Sustainable Foodways." Agriculture and Human Values, vol. 31, no. 1, 2014, pp. 131-141. Springer Link doi: 10.1007/s10460-013-9450-x

M Condriano fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 13, 2019

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

M Condriano posted:

e: If you actually want citations, here they are in autogenerated MLA format.

Premalatha, M., T. Abbasi, and SA Abbasi. "Energy-Efficient Food Production to Reduce Global Warming and Ecodegradation: The use of Edible Insects." Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, no. 9, 2011, pp. 4357-4360. Science Direct, doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2011.07.115

van Huis, Arnold. "Edible Insects are the Future?" Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 75, no. 3, 2016, pp. 294-305. Cambridge Core, doi: 10.1017/S0029665116000069

ee: and here's one about white people being the reason humans stopped eating insects globally:

Looy, Heather, Florence V. Dunkel, and John R. Wood. "How then Shall we Eat? Insect-Eating Attitudes and Sustainable Foodways." Agriculture and Human Values, vol. 31, no. 1, 2014, pp. 131-141. Springer Link doi: 10.1007/s10460-013-9450-x

That's cool of you, thanks.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Beef: it’s all about misogyny in consumption

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Don't eat bugs if you're allergic to shellfish. You'll probably die.

If you live in the zone you should farm up some cicadas in a forest this summer, cook and eat them. They're like shrimp x peanuts

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Toxic masculinity is different from misogyny, they just have a lot of overlap. People who get mad about vegetarians also usually think soy beans give you boobs and make your balls fall off, which is actually kinda hilarious since it's so huge in China, the most populated country in the world (clearly they weren't having fertility issues when their population passed a billion and had to be fought with legislation and policy instead. You'd think the government would just lower the price of tofu if it was any good for making you less fertile).

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tofu loving sucks and is the worst vegetarian protein. if you want proper vegetarian food that doesn't make you feel like your balls are going to fall off, look south of the himalayas

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

M Condriano posted:

Toxic masculinity is different from misogyny, they just have a lot of overlap. People who get mad about vegetarians also usually think soy beans give you boobs and make your balls fall off, which is actually kinda hilarious since it's so huge in China, the most populated country in the world (clearly they weren't having fertility issues when their population passed a billion and had to be fought with legislation and policy instead. You'd think the government would just lower the price of tofu if it was any good for making you less fertile).

How many bugs, on average, do you eat a day?

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

How many bugs, on average, do you eat a day?

None, they don't sell insect products in the west. Though If I was the emperor of the Earth you'd all be eating insect protein instead of mammal protein and cows would be extinct.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

also the only way americans are going to stop eating meat 3 meals a day is of all of you stop bitching and whining about it and teach a few hundred million people how to actually feed themselves that way. most people don't know where to start, beyond ordering something with tofu from an ethnic restaurant and buying disgusting imitation meat in the grocery store. this poo poo is why nobody goes to your meetings

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You can buy bugs to eat dude you're just not gonna find them in some grocery because it's not a part of most Western cultures. Honestly if you're that passionate about eating bugs I would've figured you'd be doing it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

M Condriano posted:

None, they don't sell insect products in the west. Though If I was the emperor of the Earth you'd all be eating insect protein instead of mammal protein and cows would be extinct.

All smug, no bug.

Fe should’ve saved that for the inevitable probe

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Actually I was wrong, you can get bugs in loving Walmart, the biggest chain of stores there is lmao.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bag-of-M...n0aApJFEALw_wcB

E: and naturally there's about a million sources online

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 13, 2019

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

You can buy bugs to eat dude you're just not gonna find them in some grocery because it's not a part of most Western cultures. Honestly if you're that passionate about eating bugs I would've figured you'd be doing it.

Who's passionate? I already said I eat meat and dairy because they taste good and I don't care that much about ethical procurement of food or trying to pretend like my actions have any meaningful impact on the environment. I was just making fun of some guy pretending like science supports his position when all he had to say was "I like meat and dairy because they taste good and I don't care that much about ethical procurement of food or trying to pretend like my actions have any meaningful impact on the environment", it's not that hard.

If we were all going to live according to what science says is best meat would be outlawed because it's destroying the planet, but in real life that poo poo doesn't really matter.

Burt Sexual posted:

All smug, no bug.

Fe should’ve saved that for the inevitable probe

That would make for a really good probe reason.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'll give the goon kudos for bringing citations at least.(whether or not they're valid or not due to specific measuring or whatever reason is a different matter)

Also with the bug talk I just remembered a lot of stuff about aphid reproduction(tl;dr summary is parthenogenesis + offspring already born pregnant.) Very pro read if you're into biology IMO.

Also also: don't be cruel to animals, bovines or bugs regardless.

"I'm/You're going to eat them later" isn't an excuse.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't even know what point this dude is trying to make.

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I was just making fun of some guy who said something dumb, I'm not really trying to make any point. I honestly thought that anyone with internet access already knew all this stuff, it's pretty uncontroversial.

EorayMel posted:

I'll give the goon kudos for bringing citations at least.(whether or not they're valid or not due to specific measuring or whatever reason is a different matter)

The papers have details on methodology and data analysis if you're interested.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Meat eaters be like

disgusting water bug, oh my god this is such a delicacy, it's so amazingly tasty, I don't care that it eats poo poo!

not water bugs, oh my god this is gross as hell, how dare you suggest I eat this thing! *insert racist comments about how bug eating is for foreigners*

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

M Condriano posted:

I was just making fun of some guy who said something dumb, I'm not really trying to make any point. I honestly thought that anyone with internet access already knew all this stuff, it's pretty uncontroversial.

People are just used to these kind of posts having a clear agenda or being representative of the most tedious crusade in the world, like so:

Do it ironically posted:

Meat eaters be like

disgusting water bug, oh my god this is such a delicacy, it's so amazingly tasty, I don't care that it eats poo poo!

not water bugs, oh my god this is gross as hell, how dare you suggest I eat this thing! *insert racist comments about how bug eating is for foreigners*

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Would've been better to call out the dumb things specifically and ask for proof rather than going on a weird aimless tangent about bugs and bizarre assumptions of people being macho or something

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

People are just used to these kind of posts having a clear agenda or being representative of the most tedious crusade in the world, like so:

Is my take on western responses to eating bugs wrong? What's the difference between eating a crab or lobster and a grub or grasshopper?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Your gimmick is dumb and people prolly aren't gonna engage because Burt's prolly gonna just probe you again.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
maybe it's because peta which should have the most benign and friendly agenda in the world that everybody loves, is actually a garbage organization filled with garbage people and I'd rather eat a steak drowned in baby seal blood bbq sauce right in front of any number of peta spokespeople instead of ever aligning anything I do to anything they support

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Tojo had me cooped up in a bamboo rat cage. Nothing to eat but rats. So that's what I ate. Then one day I was down to my last rat. I kept him alive so I could eat his droppings. Called it jungle rice! Tasted fine.

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Would've been better to call out the dumb things specifically and ask for proof rather than going on a weird aimless tangent about bugs and bizarre assumptions of people being macho or something

I really didn't expect many people to take umbrage with that, aside from being well understood academically it was one of those things that rang true the first time I heard it.

Also I forgot to cite this paper earlier, it's about greenhouse gasses produced by current livestock compared to insects:

Oonincx, Dennis G. A. B., et al. "An Exploration on Greenhouse Gas and Ammonia Production by Insect Species Suitable for Animal or Human Consumption." Plos ONE, vol. 5, no. 12, Dec. 2010, pp. 1-7. EBSCOhost, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0014445

insects rate at like 1-5% the GHGs of other animals iirc.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Skeleton Ape posted:

Tojo had me cooped up in a bamboo rat cage. Nothing to eat but rats. So that's what I ate. Then one day I was down to my last rat. I kept him alive so I could eat his droppings. Called it jungle rice! Tasted fine.

Lmao

https://youtu.be/r8P__OhT7t0

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

M Condriano posted:

it's similarly bizarre to deem something that made us who we are to be uniformly evil. do you claim this, and if so, by what basis do you claim it? is this a physical belief, or a metaphysical one? plants react to unpleasant experiences using the same basic reward/aversion structure as animals, they simply have fewer ways to intake data and process it than animals. is your position that something requires a visual input pattern, or a central nervous system to be worth empathizing with? if so, would you support a deforestation movement if it meant saving a specific kind of mole rat? or is it more complicated than that?

and if THAT is more complicated than some reductionist sound bite, can't nutrition and meat eating?

which, by the way, it already is, and you're objectively wrong about what 'science' says? vegan diets do not allow many children to thrive and have endangered many to the point of the state needing to intervene and call it child abuse. you can trivially google dozens of such articles and the NIH spells out that while vegetarian diets are perfectly fine, vegan diets have real risks that must be considered, especially for children who need large amounts of protein and fat to grow. but then, vegetarian diets permit the use of animal products and therefore keep animals in 'immoral' slavery.

quote:

what standard would you like me to cite? it's true that factory-farm beef production, as it currently stands, is very hard on the environment in a lot of ways and also very hard on the animal. but it's easy to find ways that certain plants are harder. as an example, almonds require much more water per pound - ~1,220 gallons for almonds vs about 450 for beef in 2007.

this also discounts the alternatives, which are all even worse for the ecology as a whole. as morally troubling as factory farming is, it's undeniable that it has returned hundreds of square miles of former pastureland to wilderness, which is the ultimate ecological win.

i don't think anyone would argue that we would like food production of all stripes, meat included, to be cleaner, cheaper, and less cruel. i have never met a meat eater who would refuse a steak if the meat for it was grown in a lab using a biological 3d printer versus slaughtered in an abattoir. what i take issue with is this ridiculous moralizing that tries to con people into feeling bad about doing something that is pretty darned close to the best option for pretty much everyone and everything involved at this time.

quote:

It's also strange to ignore the fact that insects are healthier and less environmentally damaging of a food source than all the meat we eat now
who did this exactly, prior to you making this post? though as a point of fact, insects are healthier in terms of pounds of protein per resources put in (and, to be clear, i wholeheartedly support their farming - roasted cricket with creole spice is loving delicious), but they are woefully deficient in terms of essential fats produced taken in (pigs are the best meat for this, chicken eggs are the best animal product, and even then a larger variety of food is required because metabolic requirements are quite different from population to population, so top-down imposition of food values is misguided at best and tyrannical at worst). you would still not want to raise a child on only insects.

quote:

Not to mention the lack of ethical concerns in farming insects, which all available science indicates do not experience pain or suffering in any way (nociception is not the same thing as pain).
so yes, you have some standard with calling something ethical and not that you need people to accept in order to make a case at all. mind articulating that? what precisely is your cutoff?

quote:

who is 'everyone' in this context? can you name names? are they present here? or are you just throwing another snide demonization around to make yourself feel more correct?

as a PS, your own citations (i happen to have access to back issues of agriculture and human values thanks to living in loving kansas and being an avid patron of the library system) lay the lie to your 'white people' diatribe, as they note that even civilizations that developed parallel to anglo ones tended to abandon insects as a food source as they got richer. moving up the trophic pyramid (further away from plants and small animals) is a pattern you can see going back to paleo man (as explored in The Red Queen) and can see today as people are lifted out of poverty (Poor Economics).

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 13, 2019

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Your gimmick is dumb and people prolly aren't gonna engage because Burt's prolly gonna just probe you again.

It's not a gimmick and I'm not de-railing the thread I'm staying on topic here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

M Condriano posted:

I really didn't expect many people to take umbrage with that, aside from being well understood academically it was one of those things that rang true the first time I heard it.

Also I forgot to cite this paper earlier, it's about greenhouse gasses produced by current livestock compared to insects:

Oonincx, Dennis G. A. B., et al. "An Exploration on Greenhouse Gas and Ammonia Production by Insect Species Suitable for Animal or Human Consumption." Plos ONE, vol. 5, no. 12, Dec. 2010, pp. 1-7. EBSCOhost, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0014445

insects rate at like 1-5% the GHGs of other animals iirc.

It's cool stuff but I have a lot of questions when you get to a point where it becomes a food mainstay. This might be addressed in one of your sources but issues like containment become a serious concern unless you're genetically engineering all the insects to be flightless, incapable of large movements, or controlling their ability to breed through hormones (or whatever the bug equivalent is). Just questions of scale, mostly. When a truck full of chickens gets t-boned on the highway you don't have to worry about that completely decimating the ecology of an area, but with insects that might not be the case.

Eating insects makes sense and the doing of it is well known, but I don't think that bugs being intrinsically healthier than your typical meat sources is common knowledge.