Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kobayashi posted:

Bernie Sanders lumped Xi in with Putin and Bolsonaro in a speech today but China seems pretty cool so I guess I disagree? Idk.

even if you think China in its current administration is Bad it’s not right wing like Putin or Bolsonaro are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

even if you think China in its current administration is Bad it’s not right wing like Putin or Bolsonaro are.

unless youre tibetan or uighur of course

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bro Dad posted:

unless youre tibetan or uighur of course

I mean, right wing isn’t a direct euphemism for “bad.”. it IS bad, but something can be bad and not right wing. Right wing means something specific.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

there aren't a million crisis actors in the street but there are key nodes like media and ngos that can and frequently do influence opinion enough to get people in the streets

the fact of the matter is this particular issue should have been handled back in 1997 and the delay was like letting a toothache fester.

Sure, state department foreign policy and historical actions can go gently caress themselves.

I don’t think barristers doing a silent walk is related to NGO propaganda. Media nodes like Apple daily was one of the worst sensationalist papers when it came out but seriously compared to tai kung po it’s just a better paper.

I really really want to hear some pro China or Pro HK government propaganda or initiatives. But have you seen them?

And for fixing problems before 1997, abolishing the legco and replacing with a new one isn’t that great.

Continuing functional constituencies where multiple one man companies can canvass votes for certain employment sectors is not convincing the public. How can this be argued for democracy and reform?

it’s great that the establishment types insisted on removing first past the post voting because they wanted to be represented as a minority. Turns out they helped the democrats.

Oh and the reason for Tung Chee wa, the first chief executive to claim his leg hurt and had to resign yet take a CPPCC post immediately is a joke.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, right wing isn’t a direct euphemism for “bad.”. it IS bad, but something can be bad and not right wing. Right wing means something specific.

ongoing ethnic cleansing, cultural genocide, and concentration camps are usually associated with right-wing regimes but okay

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

something that's interesting about that is in the mainland gdp growth is no longer the key metric for promotion and career advancement. employment, emissions and incomes are taking greater prominence in a "new normal" economy.

these are good metrics, but government transparency, accountability, are thrown out the window.

I love to see meritocracy, safe guards for public officials to not take bribes and other initiatives in the government.

Maybe people are more on point in Beijing, but some regions like Dongbei are notoriously bad.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Kobayashi posted:

Bernie Sanders lumped Xi in with Putin and Bolsonaro in a speech today but China seems pretty cool so I guess I disagree? Idk.

USA is corporate dictatorship with two right wings what do you expect

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

caberham posted:

these are good metrics, but government transparency, accountability, are thrown out the window.

I love to see meritocracy, safe guards for public officials to not take bribes and other initiatives in the government.

Maybe people are more on point in Beijing, but some regions like Dongbei are notoriously bad.

that's the whole point of the anti-corruption campaign though. many many people have talked about how they used to have big banquets, long luxurious trips, etc. and how those have been curtailed. campaign's far from over too. i think over 100,000 people were disciplined last year alone.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kobayashi posted:

i didnt like it either, but i was just glad he didnt include venezuela

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Typo posted:

maybe it's to treat everyone equally under chinese law?

:thunk:

I mean obviously if everyone could be governed under the law of the Republic of China everything would be far better, but that's really beside the point at hand

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

that's the whole point of the anti-corruption campaign though. many many people have talked about how they used to have big banquets, long luxurious trips, etc. and how those have been curtailed. campaign's far from over too. i think over 100,000 people were disciplined last year alone.

But have there been systemic changes? Is corruption studied, squashed and social policies changed? Is civil service pay still abysmal?

There are many techniques and methods to deal with corruption. HK civil service and police used to be our cities finest. Even after the hand over there were great strides but cross border cooperation and the decline of the ICAC is a big contributor to the decline of talent.

And that the civil service in HK have to be sycophants to whatever new mainland policy.

Everything is just so opaque. instead of disciplining , why not arrest? With the tight media control and environment, it’s hard to develop public confidence.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I don't care about protesters being violent, but anyone waving a British flag with pride deserves to be tear gassed

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Atrocious Joe posted:

I don't care about protesters being violent, but anyone waving a British flag with pride deserves to be tear gassed

especially when they are not british

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 23, 2021

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Bro Dad posted:

ongoing ethnic cleansing, cultural genocide, and concentration camps are usually associated with right-wing regimes but okay

Cultural genocide is an important aspect of global social revolution. Are you familiar with the concept of the "four olds" friend?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bro Dad posted:

the evidence for these "camps" come from CIA fronts and a Brown Moses wannabe squinting at satellite photos

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Legco announced meeting today cancelled but who knows, establishment have been in the building and the chair can announce anytime

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

the word you're looking for is authoritarianism, a government trait that straddles the political divide.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

the evidence for these "camps" come from CIA fronts and a Brown Moses wannabe squinting at satellite photos

What? China has said multiple times that they have 're-education centers' for 'terrorists'.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201903/19/WS5c903e7ca3106c65c34ef4f8.html

quote:

The white paper said China has been active in implementing the resolution of the United Nations General Assembly concerning the United Nations Global Counterterrorism Strategy. China advocates comprehensive measures to address both the symptoms and the root causes so that there will be no room for terrorism to breed, it said.

Specific measures adopted by Xinjiang include improving public well-being, promoting knowledge of the law through education, and offering education and aid through vocational education and training centers in accordance with the law.

Education and training centers, established according to law, are to achieve the goal of educating and rehabilitating people guilty of minor crimes or lawbreaking and eradicating the influence of terrorism and extremism in order to prevent them from falling victim to terrorism and extremism and to nip terrorist activities in the bud, the document said.

Thanks to these preventive measures, Xinjiang has witnessed a marked change in the social environment in recent years and people have a much stronger sense of fulfillment, happiness and security, it added.

Drawing experience from global efforts, Xinjiang has contributed to the international fight against terrorism through effective counterterrorism and deradicalization campaigns based on its regional realities, the document said.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

caberham posted:

Maybe if the Hong Kong mayor is an appointed 50 year old Chinese, who has a chance to be the future Chinese president, he would actually work for the interest of HK people instead of the entranched HK elites?

Also the HK government is too weak by design of the Brits and the HK robber Barrons. The CCP never wanted a weak administrative government. A lot of the HK problems are not from Beijing and millions of Hong Kongers think taking the piss on mainland some how will fix them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

What? China has said multiple times that they have 're-education centers' for 'terrorists'.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201903/19/WS5c903e7ca3106c65c34ef4f8.html

An easy mistake to make, the government was officially denying the existence of the 're-education centers' less than a year ago.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I don't buy that the We Love The Brits stuff is more than a very vocal minority. it reminds me of the very small part of the iranian opposition that wants the shah back. Basically weird hopeless reactionaries trying to hook onto a popular movement.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I don't buy that the We Love The Brits stuff is more than a very vocal minority. it reminds me of the very small part of the iranian opposition that wants the shah back. Basically weird hopeless reactionaries trying to hook onto a popular movement.

pretty much. it’s also seen as a giant F U to china (and everyone else including themselves)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

je1 healthcare posted:

An easy mistake to make, the government was officially denying the existence of the 're-education centers' less than a year ago.

no they weren't. the dispute was always the nature of the centers, not whether they exist.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

R. Guyovich posted:

no they weren't. the dispute was always the nature of the centers, not whether they exist.

quote:

At a hearing in Geneva on Monday, a 49-strong Chinese delegation met questions from the committee with flat contradiction.

“There is no such thing as re-education centers,” said Hu Lianhe, a senior Chinese Communist Party official.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/13/...7020180813&te=1

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

if you read the full statement rather than the one selectively pruned by the new york times, it's pretty obvious that official was rejecting the premise of the question.

Slandering Xinjiang as 'no rights zone' against fact, Chinese official told UN panel

quote:

"There are no such things as 're-education centers' or 'counter-extremism training centers' in Xinjiang," the official said.

Xinjiang, a victim of terrorism which is making an effort to protect the life and property of all ethnic groups in the autonomous region, has undertaken special campaigns to crack down on violent terrorist activities, put on trial and imprisoned a number of criminals according to the law, he said.

"With respect to persons involved only in minor offenses, the authority provides them with assistance and education by assigning them to vocational education and employment training centers to acquire employment skills and legal knowledge, with a view to assisting their rehabilitation and reintegration," Hu said.

and education as a component of anti-terrorism has been public policy for years in xinjiang, long before the anti-china propaganda push started in earnest last year.

Islamic institute steps up training to fight extremism

quote:

By early March, Shanshan county, in the eastern Turpan prefecture, had run 14 sessions of closed training classes, with about 100 trainees for each session.

"Each class lasted a week, with different lecturers in accordance to the needs of different trainees," said Abulikem Abudurem, counselor of the classes.

Abudurehman Memet, 47, a farmer from the Lukqun township, is a devout Muslim. "I learned about illegal religion at the class and also religious policies I never knew about before," he said.

Township officials determined who needed training and the type of training. People with extremist religious thoughts were trained one-on-one.

"When we visited them at home, we were always accompanied by religious personnel who explained the Quran and answered their questions about the religion," said Sayit Yusup, a Turpan official working in Lukqun's Amanxia village. "We found young people and the less-educated were more easily influenced by religious extremism."

Drive against terrorism in Xinjiang shows result

quote:

Shohrat said increasing employment in southern Xinjiang, which is relatively less developed and giving priority to education are the keys to ensure the region’s long-term stability.

“The regional government will provide vocational trainings for all junior or senior high school graduates in southern Xinjiang and teach them the national common language of China so they could find suitable employment,” he said.

Kashgar finds success in crackdown on terror cells

quote:

"Besides cracking down on terrorist activities in accordance with the law, we have also realized the importance of changing people's minds about terrorism and religious extremism, which we didn't pay enough attention to before," Zhang said.

After the Shache incident, Xinjiang shifted its priority to preventing large-scale terrorist attacks, reducing the number of attacks and stopping such attacks from spreading outside the region.

Zeng Cun, Party chief of Kashgar prefecture, said the key to achieving the goal lies at the grassroots level. "We have reinforced the management of each community to unite every citizen and villager. Communities play a crucial role in eliminating terrorism and religious extremism."

Huocheng provides training for bilingual teachers

quote:

Huocheng county, in the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region has held bilingual training sessions on ethnic unity on Jan 19, which saw more than 300 preschool bilingual teachers taking part.

The two-day training session mainly dealt with ways to maintain social stability and the knowledge of enhancing the national unit awareness. Additionally, the training advised teachers to help students realize the harm of religious extremism and fight against regional separatists.

The aim of this training was to help teachers develop an understanding of policy, law and religion, and to help them avoid religious extremism, according to the Huochneg education bureau, who organized the seminar.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My friend is Han and from Xinjiang, her friends work and family work in hospitals/schools/public official positions

and she was the one telling me about camps for Uigjurs and how school teachers must take extra work and time to be a big brother and big sister for school kids.

The camps aren’t only for uighurs and Han public officials can be sent into them as well. People come back out after a while, but their kids are looked after by social workers who pick up and drop them off school.

Her old class mate friend met up with her in Shenzhen and felt shenzhen was free enough :laffo:

Xinjiang went through some crazy poo poo and there is extra surveillance there.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Guyovich posted:

if you read the full statement rather than the one selectively pruned by the new york times, it's pretty obvious that official was rejecting the premise of the question.

in capitalist western countries, muslims are drawn to jihadist ideologies due to the misery inflicted upon them by the society they live in. how exactly do you think the motivations of uighurs differ from those of western muslims?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My friend is Han and from Xinjiang, her friends work and family work in hospitals/schools/public official positions

and she was the one telling me about camps for Uigjurs and how school teachers must take extra work and time to be a big brother and big sister for school kids.

The camps aren’t only for uighurs and Han public officials can be sent into them as well. People come back out after a while, but their kids are looked after by social workers who pick up and drop them off school.

Her old class mate friend met up with her in Shenzhen and felt shenzhen was free enough :laffo:

Xinjiang went through some crazy poo poo and there is extra surveillance there.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Kurnugia posted:

in capitalist western countries, muslims are drawn to jihadist ideologies due to the misery inflicted upon them by the society they live in. how exactly do you think the motivations of uighurs differ from those of western muslims?

i don't think they differ much at all. crime is a social problem with economic causes and terrorism is no exception. what distinguishes china is they're fully aware of this and have been attempting to solve the issue through development and growth. you can see this in state media reports if you go back and check; obviously they're gonna put a positive slant on things but they also wouldn't take that line if it wasn't the line.

the problem is this approach was reactive rather than proactive; it wasn't until the 2009 riots that the government started taking action. discontent was bubbling under the surface long before and if a "hearts and minds" type of campaign had been undertaken in the 90s or earlier along with targeted development policy there probably wouldn't be an extremism issue in the first place. again, going back and reading archives you'll see things like free 15-year education for all children in the area and comprehensive health care. this isn't something you do if the goal is cultural and ethnic eradication.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yes there’s no possible way state mandated education could be a medium of cultural eradication.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yes there’s no possible way state mandated education could be a medium of cultural eradication.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LimburgLimbo posted:

sure, it could. but this is what the ethnic policies are for, to safeguard against that. language preservation and preferential treatment would seem to be at cross-purposes with cultural genocide.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I haven't heard much about Chinese officials meddling with Russian Orthodox churches. I wonder if that is because they're just naturally less radicalizing than mosques, or because it would be geopolitically difficult to mess with the Russian Orthodox? It is a mystery.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ethnic policies huh... i don't actually care what you believe the camps are for, guyrovich. what bothers me is that you're not addressing the incentives for communist china to act like a colonial power in their relationship with uighurs, among others. just because china does occasionally act like a good guy, i really can't grasp how do you look at those satellite photos and everything else, and conclude that none of it seems suspicious at all in the context of what the party is saying is happening??

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kurnugia posted:

i really can't grasp how do you look at those satellite photos and everything else, and conclude that none of it seems suspicious at all in the context of what the party is saying is happening??

I can pretend to be Oklahoma bellingcat, cut and paste a bunch of images of buildings in Oklahoma, and then get my pet nonprofits to tell everyone that the United States has imprisoned 1/3rd of the African American population

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I can pretend to be Oklahoma bellingcat, cut and paste a bunch of images of buildings in Oklahoma, and then get my pet nonprofits to tell everyone that the United States has imprisoned 1/3rd of the African American population

you should, be careful not to get shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

Slandering Xinjiang as 'no rights zone' against fact, Chinese official told UN panel

and education as a component of anti-terrorism has been public policy for years in xinjiang, long before the anti-china propaganda push started in earnest last year.

Islamic institute steps up training to fight extremism

Drive against terrorism in Xinjiang shows result

Kashgar finds success in crackdown on terror cells

Huocheng provides training for bilingual teachers

Is it just me or is it weird that these are all China Daily links?