Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

mystes posted:

Wikipedia says it has been used 19 times:

I stand corrected. I was looking at more recent names. Prior to the Meiji restoration it seems its usage was more common. Oops. To be fair, though, I'm not just coming at it from a negative angle because words scare me. A lot of friends I have in Japan are uneasy with the declaration as well -- part of that may be because for most of them this is the first new era in their lifetimes or political awareness, but part of it is also that Japan's currently effectively something of a one-party system, and globally fascism is on the rise everywhere. Big peace-sounding Country First slogans are kind of the go-to for any fascist wannabe.

I don't think that it's wrong to be wary or apprehensive about things that smell like they have that stank on 'em. But I will try to be more accurate in the future. Thanks for the correction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mystes posted:

Since the new era name is causing Americans on twitter so much consternation, and the other candidates have now been leaked and we can see they are clearly much better than reiwa, I think the Japanese government should give in to international pressure and change the new era name to the alternate candidates 万和 or 万保, which would clearly be much less controversial.

God forbid the Japanese decide on the name of their own era in their own calendar. Can't be having that, now can we?

If we start allow those inscrutable Orientals to have some degree of self-determination, who knows what they'll get up to?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 2, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

God forbid the Japanese decide on the name of their own era in their own calendar. Can't be having that, now can we?

If we start allow those inscrutable Orientals to have some degree of self-determination, who knows what they'll get up to?

I, for one, blame the US for letting the Japanese keep their silly imperial system in the first place!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I struggle to understand most Japanese politics but shouldnt the fact that it can be so easily taken out of context to mean something far more sinister be all the reason you need to go back and pick something new?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

I struggle to understand most Japanese politics but shouldnt the fact that it can be so easily taken out of context to mean something far more sinister be all the reason you need to go back and pick something new?

I had no idea that something that is purely an internal matter that doesn't affect anyone else in any way whatsoever can only happen with the approval of a bunch of white motherfuckers living an entire ocean away. As a Japanese man, I can only humbly apologise.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Anything can be taken out of context. I mean, the worst people can say about this one is that the first character can mean "order." If they had chosen "万和," Korea and China would probably be complaining that it sounds too much like some sort of abbreviation for "long live the Japanese empire."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I had no idea that something that is purely an internal matter that doesn't affect anyone else in any way whatsoever can only happen with the approval of a bunch of white motherfuckers living an entire ocean away. As a Japanese man, I can only humbly apologise.

I really hope I didnt come across like that, sorry. :(

mystes posted:

Anything can be taken out of context. I mean, the worst people can say about this one is that the first character can mean "order." If they had chosen "万和," Korea and China would probably be complaining that it sounds too much like some sort of abbreviation for "long live the Japanese empire."

And this explains it much better than the (hilariously bad) local media. I was under the impression it was a bit of a controversy/hot topic but it seems like its not really a big deal at all.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

mystes posted:

"How dare they use a Japanese poem for the Japanese era name?!"

Oh come on, after like a thousand years of this, breaking that tradition is clearly more significant than “lol let’s go Japanese this time around.” I agree it’s silly to make a huge thing out of this compared all the other things Abe’s been doing but this thread’s “it means literally nothing” take seems like needless contrarianism.

LimburgLimbo posted:

maybe they don’t feel the need to pay homage to a country that’s regularly drumming up mass protest against them and regularly encroaching on their airspace with military aircraft, etc.

That’s a fair point and obviously in the present climate+china’s own nationalism also asserting this lots of people view those ancient poems in that light, but I’d really contend things like that are more East Asian culture than Chinese. They’ve been core parts of the culture of Japan and Korea for as long as the latter two have existed as states, and their original provenance has been basically irrelevant to that. Making the break from tradition because thousands of years ago it was originally a Chinese thing just implies an alien-ness to so many other parts of traditional Japanese culture that are the same.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ershalim posted:

A lot of friends I have in Japan are uneasy with the declaration as well
Same. I'm in somewhat leftist circles and even then it's a minority opinion but it's there.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A lot of the old ladies in my village are supporters of the JCP, so, y'know, predisposed to disliking Abe, but yeah among them there are quite a few people who say it's got vaguely sinister undertones.

It's not like the name's a portent of coming right-wing ideology in Japan, it's a symptom of Abe's current and presumably continuing nationalism. At the end of the day it doesn't mean much. But it doesn't mean nothing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rochallor posted:

At the end of the day it doesn't mean much. But it doesn't mean nothing.

This is basically where I come down on it. I’m not sure the fascism is coming right away, but I don’t believe it means absolutely nothing and is purely innocent.

At least we can all agree to giggle about the concept of year R18 coming down the line.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Godwilling we all make it to R18

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Godwilling we all make it to R18

Let a hundred VNs bloom; let a hundred schoolgirl thots contend.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

R18, the year of por- oh no my house got flooded and I burned to death. From critical lack of bees syndrome.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

*Wet, lingering fart noise*

https://mobile.twitter.com/miraisyakai/status/1113319556452311041

https://mobile.twitter.com/miraisyakai/status/1113320187757858816

https://mobile.twitter.com/miraisyakai/status/1113270195068358656

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
What do these mean?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The approval rating of the Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan is down from around 10% in May to around 5%. (Also the Japan Restoration Party is up a little.) The cabinet's approval rating is up from around 35% to around 47%

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

drilldo squirt posted:

What do these mean?

The Constitutional Democratic Party (CDP) is kind of the UK's Lib-Dem coalition. They're not very left wing, but they're significantly more lefty than the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), which is the party that Abe's a part of. The break down of the house in Japan is massively skewed in favor of the LDP, and Abe's party has something like 300 of the total possible 465 seats.

The CDP is the only remotely functional opposition party, and the only thing with anything resembling power aside from the LDP, and they're facing huge losses in public opinion (relative to the tiny approval ratings they already had). They hold something like 70 seats, but it doesn't really matter because the government has a large enough majority to basically do anything it wants.

Basically -- it means that the bad government is getting more popular.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I was in Kyoto yesterday and saw a poster for the "Kyoto Party: A Regional Political Party." Is that a new thing? Does a regional political party actually win seats and do anything? What's the deal?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

They're in the local government but don't have many seats. Elections are coming up soon, so that's why their posters are up.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Wait is the cdp different from the zombified hulk of Ozawa

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

Wait is the cdp different from the zombified hulk of Ozawa

Yeah they've kept a distance from Ozawa himself

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

On the optimist front, last time the era changed the LDP looked high on the hog, then a recession happened and they lost power 4 years later, soooo

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimesbooks/status/1120685517060890626

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

I'm confused.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm confused.

Some rich shitlord spends a month or so in Japan every year and can't speak Japanese.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Stringent posted:

Some rich shitlord spends a month or so in Japan every year and can't speak Japanese.

More common than you think worldwide that is not japan specifically. I see certain languages as mystical because i dint grasp them, so hes trying to hold thst feeling of mystery.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If there’s one thing the world definitely needs more of, it’s the foreigner/white guy perspective on the inscrutable Orient.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LyonsLions posted:

If there’s one thing the world definitely needs more of, it’s the foreigner/white guy perspective on the inscrutable Orient.

That said, I am nostalgic for the days when I could ride the train and not understand what people were saying.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

LyonsLions posted:

nice av/post combo :thumbsup:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Race Realists posted:

nice av/post combo :thumbsup:

Don't sign your Posts.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Last five minutes of Heisei era.

Good thing there wasn't any horrible horrible war caused by Japan like the previous one.

Countdown stream on TBS for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_BEx8yIak

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Welcome to the new age

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Guys today for lunch I had 和食, which translated to English is “Fascist Meal”, we’ve seriously crossed the Rubicon now that every day millions of Japanese people are paying omage to Mussolini at Evey meal.

Are your farts all 和風 now

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
hi hello post your most interesting or funniest articles about low birth rates and/or labor shortages in japan pls

i'll go first!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-10/japan-s-famed-convenience-stores-face-inconvenient-labor-truth

quote:

Apart from culture, food and a super-efficient rail system, one of the things that most impresses travelers to Japan are its convenience stores, bursting with sushi, alcohol, underwear and ready-made food available at all hours.

Well, maybe not for long. The 24-hour “conbini” experience is starting to show cracks as a labor shortage in the world’s third-biggest economy forces operators to consider cutting store hours. On Wednesday, FamilyMart UNY Holdings Co. joined Lawson Inc. and Seven & i Holdings Co. in saying that they are contemplating changes and testing reduced hours in order to cope.

With unemployment at 2.3 percent, near 1992 lows, Japan’s labor shortage is being felt acutely across all industries, from construction demands ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics to caring for a rapidly aging population. Convenience-store operators are feeling the pain. In a survey by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry last year, 61 percent of convenience-store franchisers said they didn’t have enough workers, almost triple the ratio from 2014.

[...]

Many store owners are required to keep their doors open all hours of the day, because it’s written into franchise contracts that can last up to 15 years. In the past, franchisers such as 7-Eleven owner 7 & i Holdings rigidly enforced store hours even as Japan’s labor crunch worsened. The operators argued that they needed to generate profits by selling to nocturnal consumers in cities and stay open for residents in rural areas.

[...]

Restaurant chains Royal Host and McDonald’s have also cut back on 24-hour operations in recent years. Retailers aren’t the only ones feeling the crunch. Last year, 153 companies in Japan went bankrupt due to labor shortages, up 44 percent from the prior year, according to Teikoku Databank Ltd.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
i've been listening to the nhk news podcast which I'm sure is just a step or two up from farts from a butt but it is nice to listen to some japanese and go huh I half understood what the gently caress was going on there.

what news sources do y'all like for finding out what's going on in Japan (or just silly trivia things too, those are good)

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/06/11/national/abe-apologizes-report-aging-said-elderly-couple-will-need-%C2%A520-million-savings/

quote:

Government backpedals on report that said elderly couples will need ¥20 million in savings

The government effectively withdrew Tuesday a recent report that casts doubt on the ability of the public pension system to sustain people’s livelihoods in the face of a rapidly aging society, in an apparent bid to assuage voter concerns ahead of a national election.
[...]
The report has sparked controversy and drawn fire from both the ruling and opposition parties since it was unveiled earlier this month. It estimates that a couple who will live to be 95 years old need at least ¥20 million ($184,000) in assets to make up for a shortfall that would be incurred if they were to solely rely on pension benefits to cover living expenses after retirement.

Someone on Reddit amusingly compared it to when in 1941 the Japanese government rejected a report by the Total War Research Institute concluding that Japan would definitely lose a war against the US.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mystes posted:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/06/11/national/abe-apologizes-report-aging-said-elderly-couple-will-need-%C2%A520-million-savings/

Someone on Reddit amusingly compared it to when in 1941 the Japanese government rejected a report by the Total War Research Institute concluding that Japan would definitely lose a war against the US.

The best part is that pushback came from Taro Aso who probably spends ¥20 million a year on dick pills.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Taking a page from the Thai political handbook, I see.

There is no problem. If there was a problem, do not worry because we have looked into the problem. Anyway, we are in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ReindeerF posted:

Taking a page from the Thai political handbook, I see.

There is no problem. If there was a problem, do not worry because we have looked into the problem. Anyway, we are in charge.

We are looking into this, please wait.