Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monsterzero posted:

Yeah, a Hayden.

Well I'm not currently living in GM Land with a truck but I'm from Ford World (so take my word with a grain of salt...) you basically have to spring for the OEM replacement at double the cost based on my research figuring out an issue I had. Plenty of stories. I know it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well I'm not currently living in GM Land with a truck but I'm from Ford World (so take my word with a grain of salt...) you basically have to spring for the OEM replacement at double the cost based on my research figuring out an issue I had. Plenty of stories. I know it sucks.

We'll see how it goes. It's already dropped my idle temp rise after around-town driving. I know there's a lot of ACDelco or GTFO on the owners forums, but it sounded kind of cargo-cultish to me. And it's borderline of amazing that the aftermarket is that bad for these things. There's a billion of em out there.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It will probably be fine. It may cost you some MPGs unloaded on the highway, but if you're towing/hauling a lot, that's moot and you're much better off not overheating.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

monsterzero posted:

We'll see how it goes. It's already dropped my idle temp rise after around-town driving. I know there's a lot of ACDelco or GTFO on the owners forums, but it sounded kind of cargo-cultish to me. And it's borderline of amazing that the aftermarket is that bad for these things. There's a billion of em out there.

I know, I know. It is weird. I'm far from the AC Delco/Motorcraft cultist OEM type guy you can get but something about those drat fan clutches that everyone gets in a bind over is amazing.

Anyways, hope you get it sorted out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

monsterzero posted:

My beater Silverado has been getting toasty when towing and then coming to a stop, especially when going up-hill. That sounded like a bad fan clutch to me so I threw a SEVERE DUTY part at it.

This morning it sounded like I was driving a garbage truck the first few blocks. :black101:

That's totally normal if you do a cold start and take off with a clutch-driven fan, with a properly working fan clutch, so long as it goes to sounding normal after a mile or two.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, its also butch as hell and I love it. *makes truck noises*

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

monsterzero posted:

AI as gently caress

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

monsterzero posted:

Pffft. My '90 RX-7 sounded like that with the stock clutched mechanical fan. Louder than the damned rotary. I always meant to install an electric fan, but never did.

edit: my '79 will *not* sound like that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Anything's bound to be an improvement over its current sound :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Current sound: Enjoy the Silence Iron Oxide, by Depeche Mode Sockington

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I’ve had my car for almost two years now, decided to celebrate by installing H&R springs and a full turboback exhaust. I need to tune the car now to remove the CEL and get the engine/ECU to play nice with the exhaust.

At the beginning of April I ordered a set of BBS LM-R’s and those arrived this past Saturday. Happier than a pig in poo poo and totally worth the wait.

I’m phone posting, sorry if these images come up far too big

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Current sound: Enjoy the Silence Iron Oxide, by Depeche Mode Sockington

"All I ever wanted, all I ever needed -
Was rust, in my car."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
My car felt kinda funny today while rolling slowly in morning traffic.

Well, there's your problem right there!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Holy poo poo, those tires should have been changed ... years ago.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Please tell us the date code

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Verman posted:

Holy poo poo, those tires should have been changed ... years ago.

I don't drive a lot - less than 3000 miles a year. I looked and discovered these tires are at least seven years old. I'm getting a new set Friday.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dagen H posted:

They're made in the U.S.A. No way it's even 4 digits.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Jesus those look worse than the 8 years+ old ones on the rims that I sold cheaply. Told they guy that they really need changing. "Nah that's alright, I'm going to put then on and use them. :)".

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 13, 2019

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today I bought a turbo and I can't stop smiling.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the spyder posted:

This is going to make sounds that will be very appealing to me

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Holy poo poo

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Dagen H posted:

These were on the car when I bought it in 2013. Yes, I'm bad at car.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

These were on the car when I bought it in 2013. Yes, I'm bad at car.

Congratulations on your not-deadness, you came real close there.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finally had some time to mess with FORscan. Made these changes:

- Adjusted tap to lane switch signal from 3 to 5 flashes
- Disabled the honk warning if you leave the car with it running and take the key with you
- Adjusted the timeout on the power port from an hour to one second so my dashcam shuts off immediately (still need to hardwire it)
- Changed Sync 3 startup animation to the Ford GT one since it looks cool and I'm a child
- Changed the back up sensor beeping from "deafeningly loud from all speaker" to a reasonable volume just from the cluster

Still need to see what else I can change around

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

This is relevant to my interests.
Can I live vicariously through you?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Took my Corvette in and got it aligned. Found that my wheels had no TPMS sensors in it. After some research, it turns out in the C5 era, you could disable the TPMS system entirely. I'm going to have to go get a tech to reenable it and put new TPMS sensors on it. Got the new tires mounted and balanced, and put on a new gas cap. I get the occasional CEL, and it's the P0440, for a small evap leak. Hoping the gas cap fixes it, otherwise I'm gonna be tracking the hose from the canister all the way to the intake, and checking out the solenoids. Considering hacking my OEM exhaust in half to put on my new Corsa exhaust, rather than finding someone with a 2 post lift to get the OEM exhaust in one piece.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

RillAkBea posted:

Congratulations on your not-deadness, you came real close there.

Closer than you think. The other tire has the same separation.

Thank ye, old car gods!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

EvilBeard posted:

Took my Corvette in and got it aligned. Found that my wheels had no TPMS sensors in it. After some research, it turns out in the C5 era, you could disable the TPMS system entirely. I'm going to have to go get a tech to reenable it and put new TPMS sensors on it. Got the new tires mounted and balanced, and put on a new gas cap. I get the occasional CEL, and it's the P0440, for a small evap leak. Hoping the gas cap fixes it, otherwise I'm gonna be tracking the hose from the canister all the way to the intake, and checking out the solenoids. Considering hacking my OEM exhaust in half to put on my new Corsa exhaust, rather than finding someone with a 2 post lift to get the OEM exhaust in one piece.

Pulling this out of butt type thing of knowledge, but they are Ti?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pulling this out of butt type thing of knowledge, but they are Ti?

Only the Z06 came with titanium exhaust.

doogle
May 24, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

I always try to keep the stock exhaust/other parts intact when a car is newish to return everything to stock when I sell it. But, once it hits 10 years old I can't be hosed to return it to stock and try to recoup the cost in selling the mods so I just sell the car as-is. I say hack the poo poo off and put the corsa on. Its not like you're putting an unknown quality exhaust on it, corsa is a quality brand and I'm sure you can find videos on how it sounds.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'll have owned my B3 Passat wagon for 10 years this September. I stopped driving it daily in 2015 when I grew up and took out a car loan, but can't bear to get rid of it when it still runs this well. Insuring two cars versus one is $100/year cheaper, this pays for the plates on the 2nd car and lets me justify keeping it around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV1RQ3T1h-0

Compared to my newer car it's slower, uglier, worse mileage, no comfort features, no safety. But it runs and it's free, and the noise it makes puts a smile on my face.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

NoWake posted:

Insuring two cars versus one is $100/year cheaper, this pays for the plates on the 2nd car and lets me justify keeping it around.

I wish this was the case where I live - two cars means 2x the insurance bill for me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

EvilBeard posted:

Why do you want TPMS back again? They're more of a hassle than their worth (especially if you have multiple wheel sets), IMO. Probably easier to defeat back then because I don't think they were mandated yet.

And I too would hack the exhaust rather than drop the subframe or whatever PITA work needs done to remove the exhaust in one piece. Unless it was the Z06 Ti exhaust, then I'd probably do the same thing but just cry more.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

Why do you want TPMS back again? They're more of a hassle than their worth (especially if you have multiple wheel sets), IMO. Probably easier to defeat back then because I don't think they were mandated yet.

And I too would hack the exhaust rather than drop the subframe or whatever PITA work needs done to remove the exhaust in one piece. Unless it was the Z06 Ti exhaust, then I'd probably do the same thing but just cry more.

I don't know, it was probably done back then because the sensors were like $250 a piece and they just wanted the error gone. I only have the one set of wheels/tires, as it's not my daily, just my fun summer car. I just like everything working.

I only have to remove the 4 nuts/bolts to drop the rear sway bar, then it's 4 bolts per muffler (2 hangers and 2 in the flange.) The issue is, they're one piece over the rear axles, so you can't get them out unless you have a way to get the car way up in the air. They hit the ground before they come loose. I just need a place to get the car up high. I'm probably just going to reach up and hack them in half near the axle, and pull them out in 2 pieces. The Corsa exhaust is 3 piece with clamps, so it will go in fairly easy.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 14, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

TPMS has saved us on a couple long trips, alerting to a slow leak before it became an immediate issue. I can understand why you want it working. Much easier than unpacking and swapping in a spare on the side of the interstate.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I got the new tires today.

For those playing along at home, the date code is 4518.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Finally started putting the Koni Special Actives onto the 335.
I just did the rears tonight.

Despite the grunginess of the one bump stop, they are both new as are the dust covers. The old ones had rotted and separated.
This also marked the first time using my new pass through wrench set. It might have been super cheap and crusty, but holy hell did it make this job so much faster.

Next up: fronts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

All cleaned and shined up so I can put it up for sale but at a price that is too high. Then I'll discover that it isn't too high for someone and they'll buy it anyway. If that happens though they can have it, I can probably find another one as nice, maybe. Probably.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Waffle House posted:

This thing runs like poo poo and boy that’s a lotta unburned fuel

oh lol

https://imgur.com/gallery/me7sgf1

Album has videos

I had the main filter cap on my EG's ECU melt through a trace a few years ago and left me stranded. Easy fix, but after hours of going "only idiot boomers blame the ECU" and then finally power probing the MAP sensor, it was certainly hard to diagnose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Filter cap for the 5V MAP sensor supply?