Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do you guys think Project Ozone will be good for teaching a kid modded Minecraft? My girlfriends little sister really wants to play but I don't really want to recommend you tubers for tutorials considering I can't vet all of their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Xun posted:

Do you guys think Project Ozone will be good for teaching a kid modded Minecraft? My girlfriends little sister really wants to play but I don't really want to recommend you tubers for tutorials considering I can't vet all of their stuff.

Not really. Most big modpacks are terrible at actually teaching you how to play modded Minecraft. They're more geared towards a gated progression system and expect you to already know how to use most of the mods to begin with.

Actually learning how the mods work pretty much means a lot of youtube or looking up stuff in wikis due to little or no in game documentation on how things work for many mods. As far as youtubers, you have ones like Direwolf20, SystemCollapse, ChosenArchitect, or Asgaard that play through the various packs and iirc they're mostly PG (i.e. no cursing).

Edit: To use Project Ozone 3, specifically, the quests are mostly just "make x" with mods being gated. To get to Mekanism you'll need to know how to use Pneumatic Craft because the Steel Casings require plastic. So with the "questbook" you'll get a general idea of how to progress within each mod, but it really isn't going to teach you how to effectively use any specific mod (e.g. build this things to make an extreme reactor, but better google how to actually make the multiblock)

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 13, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Maguoob posted:

Actually learning how the mods work pretty much means a lot of youtube or looking up stuff in wikis due to little or no in game documentation on how things work for many mods. As far as youtubers, you have ones like Direwolf20, SystemCollapse, ChosenArchitect, or Asgaard that play through the various packs and iirc they're mostly PG (i.e. no cursing).

Yeah, direwolf20 in particular is very adamant about keeping things PG. Even his stream chat is aggressively moderated for that stuff.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Direwolf20 is playing Omnifactory right now and it's fun if you want to watch him never make enough of anything ever.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
And also not read quest text.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Xun posted:

i think packs like that are good for teaching, with the implication that you're having an active role in the process, rather than setting them down like "FIGURE IT OUT"

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Playing a new world on PO3 and I now remember why I don't use Industrial Foregoing's Potion Brewer. I'm not a huge fan of my game crashing and being forced to either disable it in config or restore from a backup so I can actually load back in. I remember having issues with it in Lost Souls as well, back to the vanilla Brewing Stand I go.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

And also not read quest text.

But that's every direwolf20 video.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Patware posted:

i think packs like that are good for teaching, with the implication that you're having an active role in the process, rather than setting them down like "FIGURE IT OUT"

Tbh I'd love to do that but the little sister lives in the next country over :(

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Super Jay Mann posted:

But that's every direwolf20 video.
I just sort of assumed with as much as he was saying "I've never used this mod" and "this is so different" he'd actually make sure he understood it but I guess not.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I don’t understand how that man actually reads his comments when half of them are telling him he’s playing the game wrong. Especially whenever stuff like bees gets brought up.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Xun posted:

Tbh I'd love to do that but the little sister lives in the next country over :(

do it on a multiplayer server?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey look who's coming back. https://github.com/TerraFirmaCraft/TerraFirmaCraft

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:swoon:

God speed, you crazy mod developers.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Now thats something I could get into right now, too bad it isnt available right now.

On another note i've been playing DW20s 1.12.2 pack and have been getting into Thaumcraft again.
In the old days I recalled overloading the crucible and letting it overflow to get more things to scan, THAT was a bad idea, as now it opens a rift in space and starts sucking in the surrounding land.

Luckily it went away after a few days.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Those flux rifts can be important if you want to get in to the further parts of Thaumcraft. You need to scan an, umm, void pearl I think it's called? First place to get them is rifts. To make them suck less I usually try not to overflow a crucible since they tend to be in your base and, as you saw, the rifts can kinda suck.

I tend to end up with a poo poo ton of extra metallum from harvesting praecontitio, take a warded jar full of scrap essentia you're not using a few chunks away from your base, drop it and shift right click it to empty it in to the atmosphere right where you are. Gives you two or three rifts on demand in a safe area you choose.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The rift is how you get to things like major focii too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FTB: Interactions has a craftable creative cheater thauminomicon, which was a godsend for me. You only have to remove your own brain in order to make it.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Priapus Unbound posted:

I'm about to have a lot of time on my hands (teacher, summer is coming) and I like making maps in worldpainter. Would any of the people putting together their own modpacks like a custom map? I've been kicking around my own ideas for a story based pack in an underground map, but helping out others is cool.

Some samples, all of which are fairly old:

The above screens have some errors, like a need for additional fine tuning of biomes in the canyonlands to make cliff bushes drier and modification of underground stone distributions in the lava road cave to avoid the patchy look, but I think they demonstrate that I'm comfortable using WP for a variety of purposes.

I am kinda interested but also don't know if my idea is really what you are looking for. Should we discuss it over DMs or right in this thread? The gist of it is that while I don't have a specific modpack, there is a kinda big mod that is heavily dependent on biomes and random spawns, and I haven't had any luck yet finding a premade map since using Minecrafts biome generation can mean that you look for hours to find a Taiga Hills M or whatever. So I am curious if you would be interested in putting together a map for that.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The Jebcraft modpack/server seems to be stable enough at this point, with no further big updates planned, to plug in here. Hop in if you want a balanced magic-heavy, tech-light survival pack with lots of options for building. Partial mod list:

code:
### CORE MODS ###

Astral Sorcery
Embers Rekindled, plus:
- Mystical Mechanics
Immersive Engineering, plus:
- Engineer's Decor
- Immersive Petroleum
- Immersive Tech
- Industrial Wires
- Questionably Immersive
Thaumcraft, plus:
- Engineered Golems
- Expanded Arcanum
- Thaumic Augmentation
- Thaumic Wonders

### OTHERS ###

Electroblob's Wizardry
Forestry
Open Glider
Tinker's Construct
Twilight Forest

### UTILITIES ###

FTB Utilities (teams, chunk claiming, grief protection)
Torchmaster
Weirding Gadget (chunk loading with an expiration timer)

### BUILDING ###

Better Builder's Wands
Better Railroads
Bibliocraft
Blockcraftery
Catwalks
Chinese Workshop
Chisel
Chisels and Bits
Engineer's Decor/Doors
Fairy Lights
Platforms
Quark
Rustic
Secret Rooms
SimpleLogic Gates, Wires
Simply Loaders
Storage Drawers
(edited for recent large update)

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 25, 2019

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
Is there a mod similar to Engineer's Tool box where a single block and each face of the block can be heavily customized (and is not Compact Machines)?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is it possible to use the 1.12 version of ProjectE in 1.10.2 minecraft? I heard that version can go over the 1 billion emc cap which would be quite handy.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ak Gara posted:

Is it possible to use the 1.12 version of ProjectE in 1.10.2 minecraft? I heard that version can go over the 1 billion emc cap which would be quite handy.

Nope.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So admittedly I know nothing about programming but at least going by the status messages Forge puts out while booting a pack, it seems to be constructing/compiling everything every time it runs. The way it reacts to newly added or changed mods seems to fit that. It stitches textures, assembles lists, compiles recipes, checks mod interactions, and so on. Is there not some way to just have it prebuild it once and then... keep it? I mean if it's compiling recipes and textures into some list or table couldn't it save that table for next time, and only rebuild it if prompted (like when the modlist needs updating)?

I just ask because I'm getting real tired real fast of taking 10 minutes to load larger modpacks and I feel like there are at least some steps in the boot process that FML really, really shouldn't have to do every single time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

So admittedly I know nothing about programming but at least going by the status messages Forge puts out while booting a pack, it seems to be constructing/compiling everything every time it runs. The way it reacts to newly added or changed mods seems to fit that. It stitches textures, assembles lists, compiles recipes, checks mod interactions, and so on. Is there not some way to just have it prebuild it once and then... keep it? I mean if it's compiling recipes and textures into some list or table couldn't it save that table for next time, and only rebuild it if prompted (like when the modlist needs updating)?

I just ask because I'm getting real tired real fast of taking 10 minutes to load larger modpacks and I feel like there are at least some steps in the boot process that FML really, really shouldn't have to do every single time.

I was actually thinking about this earlier. I also think it's possible, at least conceptually. That being said, one of the hardest computer programming tasks is invalidating caches, so it wouldn't be easy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I dug into it a bit more after finding an old thread on Reddit and it looks like a big part of the problem is just that Forge is badly coded re:performance even though how it handles the mods themselves is much more refined. Most people who've tinkered with the code itself say huge parts of it could probably be cached (including the textures/stitching, which is apparently one of the biggest parts of the load time), and at the very least it could be further sped up if it wasn't confined to a single processing thread. There's a guy talking about Fastcraft, which I've never even heard of, saying it could outperform the Bedrock Edition despite being on Java, and that it's feasible to improve in leaps and bounds.

So I guess most of the bad performance in modpacks is from Forge itself, which isn't promising since there's not really any alternative and from what I understand they've turned off the idea of rehauling it. Then again, I've also heard chatter that the next big forge update for 1.13 is focusing on performance, so I guess in a year or two when it and a handful of mods are updated and we'll find out.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I would also give Forge some slack for having to hit a moving target. It's hard to optimize when you are patching on top of some other code base.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

And supposedly the recent changes with 1.13 and 1.14 were so different that MultiMC wont even be able to support getting Forge and Liteloader to install from it until 'the end of the year'.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The fact that forge works at all is a miracle. Add to that that it can stitch together a bunch of disparate mods of wildly varying quality of coding and spit out something that runs (mostly) intact is crazy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wasn't trying to suggest that Forge not being perfectly optimized is some embarrassing mark on its reputation, mostly just wondering if there was some way to make it not take 10 minutes every time I boot up FTB:Interactions.
The compatibility and versatility is amazing, I just wish the performance was a little easier on my crappy machine.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh yeah, regarding FTB Interactions: there's a pretty nasty CTD bug with spectre coils in the latest version (1.9.1, but it was happening to me in 1.8 as well.) If you have p4ssw0rd's (ugh) shaders and dynamic lighting enabled, unloading a chunk with a spectre coil in it will cause a CTD. To fix it, disable all its dynamic lightning nonsense. You can do it in-game without a restart in the Mod Options.

Alternatively, excise all spectre coils from your base. That's what I did -- it gave me the motivation to finally move to flux plugs and flux points, which have way more throughput.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Actually has there been any updates from the fastcraft guy? I saw that he was working on a new version a long time ago and then nothing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Think they just threw in the towel as both BetterFps and Foamfix were already released and took a lot of inspiration from their work. Foamfix especially does a lot of the same stuff.

E: As a sidenote, vanillafix is also very good for larger packs when they inevitably crash so you don't have to completely restart the game.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 28, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

So I guess most of the bad performance in modpacks is from Forge itself, which isn't promising since there's not really any alternative and from what I understand they've turned off the idea of rehauling it. Then again, I've also heard chatter that the next big forge update for 1.13 is focusing on performance, so I guess in a year or two when it and a handful of mods are updated and we'll find out.
For load time? Sure. It's very much forge's fault. Although some of this is on pack authors as well, if they made packs a bit lighter weight and more heavily focused load times would improve tenfold. Some 1.12 packs load in 40s or so and others load in 8+ minutes. And the mod count difference between them is ~2x. Even amongst packs with 200+ mods, load times vary from 2-3 minutes to 8+ minutes.

For fps? Most of that is on a combination of how java mc is coded (poorly), mod implementation, and the user not understanding how mc works under the hood. It's not forge's fault. 1.10+ make it possible to keep 90-120+ fps even in heavily modded bases if you know the quirks of the engine. Minimum frame times blow though. My fps will show 120-140 constant but have noticeable stutter fairly frequently.

TPS is more complex, but most machines and mods have better performance characteristics than vanilla stuff.

Most of forge's biggest issues in fps/tps stem from vanilla MC.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 28, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So, uh, did this ever get posted? Because it's pretty insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j2wupurm4s

The guy created a 2d dynamic minecraft world that is fully playable...within the inventory system of an in-game chest. It even takes a snapshot of the Minecraft world to re-generate it into the chest world as a 2d platformer/tile based terraria style game.

Or to put it in a TL;DR way: You can play Minecraft in the style of Terraria as envisioned within Minecraft within a chest. It's some :psyduck: tier meta poo poo.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 28, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ftb_interactions.gif

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Archonex posted:

So, uh, did this ever get posted? Because it's pretty insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j2wupurm4s

The guy created a 2d dynamic minecraft world that is fully playable...within the inventory system of an in-game chest. It even takes a snapshot of the Minecraft world to re-generate it into the chest world as a 2d platformer/tile based terraria style game.

Or to put it in a TL;DR way: You can play Minecraft in the style of Terraria as envisioned within Minecraft within a chest. It's some :psyduck: tier meta poo poo.

Check out his other vids, SethBling has done some pretty cool stuff with Minecraft.

Like his zombie evolution vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aIp5DdnKwM

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So hey, does the thread still like modders crawling up their own gaping assholes to die? Cause we're getting a new run!

So the DPT crew finished up run number 6 a few weeks back and we put up a temp pack, Omnifactory, which of course has GT in it. Which I hate and will vehemently defend hating, just to clear up my biases early.

So now a few people are getting to the point where the ludicrous number of intermediate craftables (and seriously, I have never seen this many intermediates and tools for making intermediates from intermediates to make intermediates and that's a thing in this) just gets tedious to do to do anything. And people call this "difficult" like their only idea of designing difficulty is "takes longer -> more harderer". Anyway.

So the omnifactory dev considers himself to be making an "easy" pack cause he wants people to complete it in under 500 hours and the poo poo doesn't all explode, and he asked about maybe adding the ability to color code voltages on GT wires. You know, little visual cue for players to not have to reread every wire in the set.

He asks this on the actual GT discord and gets

as his reply.

For voltage colors.

These people are loving broken.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Maybe I'm out of the loop but phrases like "we'll defend our elitism" and "we have a weird urge to feel superior" make me think he's mocking his own side. I'm more inclined to think someone who openly calls themselves an elitist over this is laughing at himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Maybe I'm out of the loop but phrases like "we'll defend our elitism" and "we have a weird urge to feel superior" make me think he's mocking his own side. I'm more inclined to think someone who openly calls themselves an elitist over this is laughing at himself.

No, I can confirm this was said 100% unironically.