Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

coconono posted:

maybe I'm still mad about AI. That was a layup movie finish and he had to go all loving Pinocchio on it.

That was Spielberg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

That was Spielberg?

gently caress I am dipshit

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Apparently (according to Spielberg anyway) the bits that everyone thinks are his heavy-handed bullshit were Kubrick’s ideas. I have no idea how true that is. The film loving sucked anyway, or at least it did to 16 year old me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The NXT UK guys are definitely bootlickers in the extreme, I just thought I read sarcasm in Dream's post. I dunno. He has a hard to decipher tone. He's a weird cat in general.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

But creatively they likely fought every good thing in their best work kicking and screaming, so the comparison works.

They both also have a 5 year old’s sense of humor and now I just really want to see Vince McMahon’s take on the Prequels and Lucas in control of the current WWE in a freaky Friday situation

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
did darth vader ever show up on a wrestling show ala robocop?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1DHgdVKeE

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the child’s play remake comes out soon maybe chucky will win the 24/7 title in the coming weeks, drum up hype you know

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

did darth vader ever show up on a wrestling show ala robocop?

Yeah Cornette and Brian Last we’re going over an old Memphis show a few podcasts ago and Vader was a curtain jerker

Edit: actually he was the third match

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 10, 2019

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

AI is extremely good and has an incredibly dark ending I don’t think it deserves the hate it gets

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

AI is extremely good and has an incredibly dark ending I don’t think it deserves the hate it gets

yeah that is not a happy ending it is super messed up. and good

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah Cornette and Brian Last we’re going over an old Memphis show a few podcasts ago and Vader was a curtain jerker

Edit: actually he was the third match

This isn't surprising to me since Lawler's a HUGE nerd

What is neat about it is the apuesta in the main event, Lawler's belt versus Jimmy Valiant's '78 Corvette

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
better than eyes wide shut at least i mean jesus

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Didn't George Lucas make some dumbass WW2 plane movie after Star Wars that literally zero people saw?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Red Tails, about an all black fighter squadron

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I’m super picky about rewatching movies but I’ll sit through AI in its entirety any time I come upon it on TV

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
https://youtu.be/2VVMVtuN9FY

For more information on this movie I recommend the RedLetterMedia review

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TTBF posted:

Red Tails, about an all black fighter squadron

He also claimed it was the "first movie with an all-black cast"

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That's pretty amazing since I recall white people being in it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

If it ended in the submerged car scene, I would have hailed it a masterpiece. Instead it goes on unnecessarily into some “Gee you’re a real boy” nonsense that I just hated. Granted it’s been what 20 years since I’ve seen it so my memory might be hazy on the matter.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It was super advanced robots in the future that were extracting his memories of humans because he was the only robot left that had seen one. They then put his AI into a virtual reality so he could live with his family.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
he got to have a the relationship with his mom that he was always wanted BUT ONLY FOR ONE DAY THEN SHE WILL DIE AGAIN FOREVER IT IS EXTREMELY SAD YOU UNFEELING MONSTERS :cry:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

coconono posted:

If it ended in the submerged car scene, I would have hailed it a masterpiece. Instead it goes on unnecessarily into some “Gee you’re a real boy” nonsense that I just hated. Granted it’s been what 20 years since I’ve seen it so my memory might be hazy on the matter.

Gee you're a real boy cursed to live forever after one day of artificial love from a copy of a memory

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Gee you're a real boy cursed to live forever after one day of artificial love from a copy of a memory

Teenage me thought it would have been a much more fitting end to embody the metaphor the movie was pushing so heavily. The kid was creepy and disturbing. If he'd died like a discarded toy I thought it would have closed together. Kind of like a big gently caress you to all the Design A Kid parents that were in vogue at the time.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

lol but posted:

better than eyes wide shut at least i mean jesus

mods???

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1139037739704365056?s=19

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I mean, they're not wrong

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Why is this a constant argument between mostly white men who don't even think to bother consulting the people they're arguing about?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Rarity posted:

I mean, they're not wrong

It's a topic that's been talked to death and never produces anything good.

Also telling that you're not going to listen to any opposing arguments isn't smart.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Adaptabullshit posted:

Also telling that you're not going to listen to any opposing arguments isn't smart.

Sexism doesn't have legitimate arguments hth

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
they have a woman

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Why is this a constant argument between mostly white men who don't even think to bother consulting the people they're arguing about?

because I dont think they care. its the same people bringing it up every time.

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1139039431267094528

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
oh wait it is just an extremely beautiful man

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Ultimately the question that matters is "would the women's wrestlers like to wrestle on a Wrestle Kingdom & Dominion & a women's version of the G1/BOSJ?" and if they do then I'd like to see them given that chance. And considering several of them are willing to move to the US to take a chance appearing at a Wrestlemania or Double or Nothing I certainly imagine they'd welcome a chance to wrestle on a bigger stage to more fans with better payoffs but I can only guess because I don't speak to any women's wrestlers.

I get the argument is tedious and happens all too regularly and has no conclusion but I don't think it's a bad take in & of itself to say that New Japan should have a women's division. It's not necessarily good to just say nothing about it and give them a free pass because "oh, Joshi promotions exist". It's good they do but it's not exactly on the scale of All Japan Women.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Rarity posted:

Sexism doesn't have legitimate arguments hth

I dunno; arguing that the only place that women can REALLY succeed is one that's currently dominated by men while ignoring all-women companies sounds pretty sexist to me!

That's the thing with this debate: I don't think that anyone would necessarily object if New Japan partnered with, for use of a random example, Sendai Girls and you had big Sendai Girls World Title matches on major New Japan cards (this would never happen since New Japan wouldn't gain anything from this but its a random example). But the thing is that isn't what these people are arguing for: they're arguing that you need a "women's division" there which in the long term would either lead to a terrible WOH style division that makes Joshi wrestling look crap or a WWE-style acquisition of a tonne of talent that in the long term much like the WWF National Expansion leads to smaller companies going out of business (Stardom and TJP would be relatively fine; you're talking about the Sendai Girls and the Marvelous's of the world that rely more on freelance and other company talent which would leave them more open from raiding from a big giant) and then a much shallower talent pool, less women wrestling and a scene that's significantly for the worse because of it. I'd love it if Joshi was big enough to run Sumo Hall regularly and do Dome Shows again but that isn't the world we are in: and I don't think that a tokenistic New Japan presence (and that's what it would be: Gedo struggles to book what he was properly as it is never mind adding a whole new division with a whole new set of talent that you can't mix with what you have unless you normalise either intergender wrestling or mixed tag matches.

To argue from a feminist perspective that companies built around women and in many cases owned and ran by women aren't good enough and that women NEED to succeed in male owned and dominated companies strikes me as being, well, rather hypocritical.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I guess the argument is whether you imagine an NJPW women's division to be a competently booked division or the more realistic outcome of an afterthought like both its partner promotions' women's divisions.

As for Allan, he belongs in the Thread for Boring Bad Faith Concern Trolls instead of stupid opinions but we don't have that.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I've always said that if New Japan booked women properly then I'd not have an issue with it - indeed if they did that it might encourage other companies to do the same and that would probably benefit women's wrestling in Japan if all went right. However I just know that they wouldn't do that - hell look at their alliance partners: WOH is a load of crap done entirely because they felt obliged to book women without putting any effort in and it does nothing to help women's wrestling: CMLL has talent and on the big show they had a few weeks ago they had a very good women's match but most of the time its contextless trios matches on secondary shows; and Rev Pro's women's champion has legit worked the merch table at more York Hall shows this year than she has wrestled at them. With that collective attitude towards women's wrestling then gently caress me if I'm putting any hope in New Japan doing anything good - especially when you look at how they portray the women they currently have! I go to EVE shows regularly (they're the main London all-women promotion; have a big show at the end of the month where they're working with Stardom which is rather exciting) and I think that if you asked the wrestlers that wrestled for them they'd all tell you the massive value that having that space where women can be legit main eventers rather than shoved into the second match from the bottom of the card in a clusterfuck six women match has to both their confidence plus their ability as wrestlers and to try and suggest that sort of thing is sexist is ridiculous in my eyes.

Hell if you want a "men's" promotion that has women in prominent spots: look at DDT. You've got Asuka and Saki Akai in prominent spots in that company all of the time; the current KO-D Trios champions are Meiko Satomura, DASH Chisako and Chihiro Hashimoto (who won them in legit the best intergender match I've ever seen - its on youtube if you search for it) plus Meiko won the KO-D Title last year PLUS they own Tokyo Joshi Pro which is a women's sub promotion that not only gives women a platform that is their own one (including their last Korakuen Hall show outdrawing the last main DDT one; and almost beating the one before that) but also they train a lot of women and having that space gives them the ability to give their trainees regular matches in front of crowds in some big matches rather than a mere "division" which would firstly mean that a lot less women would be wrestling and secondly would almost guarantee that they'd never be in main event spots and if they were, would be in them very regularly. That's the model to follow here; not western wresting!

Apologies for all of these words: this is something that I care about quite a bit!

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 13, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I follow Allen because I like the vids and gifs he posts. And that William Regal will occasionally respond to him about the stuff he posts, giving a greater insight into things.

And also because of the tirade he goes on every year during the WON HoF season about Big Daddy not being voted in.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I guess the argument is whether you imagine an NJPW women's division to be a competently booked division or the more realistic outcome of an afterthought like both its partner promotions' women's divisions.

Yeah, this makes a difference. I'd rather have separate joshi promotions than an NJPW Diva division but an equal spotlight is better than both.

IceAgeComing posted:

To argue from a feminist perspective that companies built around women and in many cases owned and ran by women aren't good enough and that women NEED to succeed in male owned and dominated companies strikes me as being, well, rather hypocritical.

This sounds a lot like 'women should be happy with whatever space men allow them rather than push for equal representation'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
big daddy jobbed to chief wiggum. he doesn't deserve to be in any HOF