Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's not photoshopped. The bottom half of the ladder is in shadow or something and dude has high leg between 2 of the rungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
look at his left foot, he's just bracing it

perfectly safe

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sometimes I worry about chopping my foot off with the riding mower, but it shuts off if I get out of the seat so I think I'm actually more likely to hurt myself with the weed-whacker.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

FuturePastNow posted:

Sometimes I worry about chopping my foot off with the riding mower, but it shuts off if I get out of the seat so I think I'm actually more likely to hurt myself with the weed-whacker.

Yeah riding/push mowers are beasts but I'm not really that worried. Weed-eaters (can you tell where I'm from) on the other hand, those motherfuckers can throw poo poo at your legs at 6x the speed of sound starting as an itch that slowly forms into an "owwwwWWWWW DAMNIT" as you look to see if it broke the skin...and yes I'm stupid and always wear shorts while doing it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.smh.com.au/national/randy-kookaburra-fling-ends-with-a-bang-power-out-in-over-1000-perth-homes-20190611-p51wob.html

quote:

Both kookaburras did not survive the incident.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Tyson Tomko posted:

Yeah riding/push mowers are beasts but I'm not really that worried. Weed-eaters (can you tell where I'm from) on the other hand, those motherfuckers can throw poo poo at your legs at 6x the speed of sound starting as an itch that slowly forms into an "owwwwWWWWW DAMNIT" as you look to see if it broke the skin...and yes I'm stupid and always wear shorts while doing it.

Let's not forget power washers, and why you shouldn't power wash barefoot. Yep, did that.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Let's not forget power washers, and why you shouldn't power wash barefoot. Yep, did that.

Ask me about getting a wet leaf stuck to my ankle while power-hosing some poo poo

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

i still have a nice little line on my hand from briefly losing control of the pressure washer, i knew they were dangerous but goddamn water can gently caress you up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
That's one of the reasons I try to avoid power washing things.

I know how dangerous it can be, but my idiot monkey brain has trouble resisting the urge to touch the water to see just how strong it is anyway.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Learning that high-pressure injection injuries sometimes result in amputation due to infection was enough to make me never want to handle a powerwasher.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just bought a cheap one that want very powerful. It'll clean off the car but it won't break the skin.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Skippy McPants posted:

Learning that high-pressure injection injuries sometimes result in amputation due to infection was enough to make me never want to handle a powerwasher.

You're probably going to want to avoid researching high pressure airline injuries, else you will never inflate your tyres again.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA: loving up the most basic of life skills for the entertainment of others

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Worked for a small window cleaning business after college, the owner decided to branch out and buy a pressure washing trailer, with zero experience, but scrappy can do attitude. I learned to use it simultaneously with him, also how to drive a loving trailer full of water around which I had never done before, and will never do again because it's scary as hell. Oh and the thing would boil the water too, so you super did not want to hit yourself with it. That job was the embodiment of OSHA violations, one dude fell off a ladder and our boss ended up paying him cash to not make a big deal about his twisted ankle (because zero insurance of course).

e: it looked like this, and when you went around bends the water would slosh around and make the trailer get squirrely, every day on that job was an adventure for sure.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 13, 2019

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Forklift trucks take no prisoners.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/9zneIAY.mp4

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FuturePastNow posted:

Until you disable the interlocks that are conveniently designed to be trivial to do exactly that.

My riding mower takes about three seconds to convert from a fully safe mode that basically couldn't injure anyone unless it's being intentionally driven over them to one where it'll happily do reverse donuts with the blade at full power and no one at the controls. Pull one wire from the bottom of the seat and it now thinks someone's there at all times, then there's actually a button right next to the key for allowing it to reverse with the blade running. Not a button you need to press and hold while reversing, mind you, but one that pressing it just disables the safety until the mower is shut off.

Every riding mower I've ever used has been similar, where all the safety features either have a built-in bypass mode or were clearly designed to make it as easy as possible for anyone with three brain cells bumping together to figure out how to work around them.

One of the few cases where vertical video was actually the right way to do it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The first thing I did with my new riding lawnmower was turn off the safety switch for not being able to reverse while mowing. That poo poo was ridiculous, but I kept the rest. I want my mower to shut off if I get out of the seat for any reason.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Worked for a small window cleaning business after college, the owner decided to branch out and buy a pressure washing trailer, with zero experience, but scrappy can do attitude. I learned to use it simultaneously with him, also how to drive a loving trailer full of water around which I had never done before, and will never do again because it's scary as hell. Oh and the thing would boil the water too, so you super did not want to hit yourself with it. That job was the embodiment of OSHA violations, one dude fell off a ladder and our boss ended up paying him cash to not make a big deal about his twisted ankle (because zero insurance of course).

e: it looked like this, and when you went around bends the water would slosh around and make the trailer get squirrely, every day on that job was an adventure for sure.

keep the tank full to the top to minimize free surface

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LifeSunDeath posted:

Why does the tank not have baffles?

This is a solved problem.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

Why does the tank not have baffles?

This is a solved problem.

Because that tank was designed to be stationary. A tank with baffles was probably 20 dollars extra.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cojawfee posted:

Because that tank was designed to be stationary. A tank with baffles was probably 20 dollars extra.

Sketchy business owner solution: "Hey new guy, get in the tank while we drive and stop the water from sloshing around"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Haha holy poo poo, that guy just broke his collarbone, tore a bunch of stuff in his neck/trapezius, compressed his spine, twisted his ankle up to his hip, and maybe dislocated his shoulder because they wanted to haze the new guy (that, or he was being a showoff dumbass). It's not even an 'accident'; gently caress everyone who didn't put down their camera and prevent the wildly obvious outcome of doing that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
yeah but it was also funny so it's impossible to know if it was a good or bad video

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

yeah but it was also funny so it's impossible to know if it was a good or bad video

the real problem with the video is that there's no resolution to what happened to the guy other than postmortem limb twitches, so he's definitely dead

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

My dude don't fret, there can be funny bad videos and this was almost one but... eugh that poor idiot

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/ZCUwZgA.mp4

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How come the people who tear down block/brick structures with sledgehammers never get together with the people who make bad decisions with explosives and/or heavy equipment?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

angryrobots posted:

How come the people who tear down block/brick structures with sledgehammers never get together with the people who make bad decisions with explosives and/or heavy equipment?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Juan_de_la_Vega ?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxAGSJzNLcI&t=38s

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently this is just a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7cFRWIuwGo

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Oh right that reminds me of the Algerian "breakdancing shotguns" wedding thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODE_1xrwMHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ-E-_OaKxs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mNsm0F5OKw

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Hydraulic fluid injury leading to hand amputation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48599963

I was expecting the photo of the guys hand (this is all work safe, it's the BBC) to be somehow worse, but it just looks like a tiny cat scratch. terrifying really.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Given how close to the ground those are fired I'm assuming they're loaded with dust shells, otherwise the bouncing pellets would hurt like gently caress.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnTtb1OFumc

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm terrified of heights so that would probably have still killed me via heart attack.

Cojawfee posted:

Are you a horse?

"hey we're really high up here, the people down there look tiny! Like ant...."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Given how close to the ground those are fired I'm assuming they're loaded with dust shells, otherwise the bouncing pellets would hurt like gently caress.

They're overloaded black powder blanks, which gives a huge cloud of smoke but almost no recoil and no projectile. It'll still severely injure you if you're about 5 feet away, though.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

That's a lot of dedication to authentic Red Faction Guerrilla cosplay.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

moist turtleneck posted:

theres actually zero difference between good & bad videos. you imbecile. you loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

thatguy posted:

the real problem with the video is that there's no resolution to what happened to the guy other than postmortem limb twitches, so he's definitely dead

His shoes are still on right. He must have survived.