Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Xelkelvos posted:

Is it just me or is it weird that these are all China Daily links?

Sounds like you need some vocational training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

this might be more your speed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ptcqDHvdXI

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Xelkelvos posted:

as i said, state media is a useful barometer of the state's line. unless you think the stories are pure fiction this means there is at least the knowledge of a correct approach and a desire to follow it, if only for appearance's sake.

just like we can learn a lot from what corporate media chooses to cover and how it's framed, we can do the same with state outlets. china daily happens to be in english and easily collated, which is why i used them

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I don't buy that the We Love The Brits stuff is more than a very vocal minority. it reminds me of the very small part of the iranian opposition that wants the shah back. Basically weird hopeless reactionaries trying to hook onto a popular movement.

You're probably right. The Western media loving loves these people though
https://twitter.com/vicenews/status/1138202179477549056
https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1138975128757395457

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hahaha i bet the daily express loves that. getting all weepy at empire

:britain:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ever since losing honkers -- what's left? the falklands and the tiny speck of pitcairn, where live the marooned descendants of the bounty mutineers!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

ever since losing honkers -- what's left? the falklands and the tiny speck of pitcairn, where live the marooned descendants of the bounty mutineers!

The British virgin islands. Amusingly enough for Hong Kongers of a particular class.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

R. Guyovich posted:

unless you think the stories are pure fiction this means there is at least the knowledge of a correct approach and a desire to follow it, if only for appearance's sake.

Fojar's Law

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
if they love the british so much why dont they move to britian colonized rear end old biddies

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I don’t and those delusions can rot in an old colonial prison

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I can pretend to be Oklahoma bellingcat, cut and paste a bunch of images of buildings in Oklahoma, and then get my pet nonprofits to tell everyone that the United States has imprisoned 1/3rd of the African American population

I would urge the comrade to be slightly more careful in choosing his analogues

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
no great loss with the guardian

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1139199756285222912

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

blocking the intercept is pretty poo poo but I don’t really blame them for the rest of that list lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A Chinese online gambling worker's plight in Manila

quote:

He’s gay and broke, and his family wants him to marry one of their neighbor’s daughters. Wei, not his real name, has had it with his life in conservative Yunnan, a province in China.

While he graduated from a two-year technical course, there are just not enough opportunities for him. Life in the province is tough, especially for millennials trying to get a job.

All that was about to change after a quick conversation with an acquaintance.

“A neighbor said he is going to some island away from China and will earn around 14,000 yuan (around $2,000) a month and can get more if I strive harder. Of course I said ‘count me in,’” Wei said.

That "island" was the Philippines.

The recruiter told Wei he would simply take calls and address problems of some wealthy Chinese citizens.

While the recruiter did not specify in which industry he would be employed, the promised pay and the escape from his province was enough for Wei to say yes.

“I used to work as an assistant for a factory, and pay was very low. There were months that I have no job, the factory called me if I was needed there again,” Wei said.

On top of supporting himself, he is financing the needs of his senior parents and two other siblings – something the government does not know about.

“Back then, couples can only have one child. My mother had two more children after me, so they were given away to relatives,” he said.

While he loved his family, Wei felt there was a world out there waiting to be explored. He said his goodbyes and promised to return home after a couple of years and said he would be sending money each month.

Now, he doesn’t know if he can can ever go back to Yunnan.

In November 2018, Wei, along with several other Chinese nationals, flew to Manila as tourists.

When asked if he did not find it suspicious that he had no working permits, he said there was no way for it to be processed in China.

“The recruiter said we need to process the work permit in Manila, so we arrived as tourists,” Wei said.

When he settled in Makati, he was told there would be salary deductions for the paperwork. From $2,000, his pay was halved to $1,000 or around P51,000.

It was only after his second week in Manila that he was told he would be working for an online gambling firm.

quote:

Wei said living in Manila has its pros and cons. He is able to afford clothes, eat good food, and afford an iPhone X – considered a status symbol.

While his new financial freedom has perks, work is quite tough.

“We work 6 times a day for 12 hours, which is worse than what I did in China. We are also banned from traveling outside Manila,” Wei said.

He lives in a condominium in Parañaque and shares a room with 4 other Chinese workers. They get shuttled to their office just a few minutes away.

quote:

Less cash than expected and more work hours have been bittersweet for Wei.

He wanted to give a better life for his family back home, but it might take him a while to save up, considering the unexpected salary downgrade.

“I thought I could go back to visit after a year, but my pay is not as big as expected, so I don’t know when that will be. I miss my family,” he said.

He also fears being deported and getting arrested.

“I have the right working permits here, but if I leave without telling my company, they might tell the [Chinese] government what I did for work here and will end up in jail,” Wei said.

quote:

Lucio Pitlo, an expert on Chinese studies, said that the Chinese government “absolutely hates” gambling.

“I talked to Chinese counterparts and scholars and asked about online gambling, notions about the Chinese stealing jobs, jacking up rental prices, and the consensus is that the Chinese government would want to stop this,” Pitlo said.

For Camba, Chinese workers are trapped in legal loopholes, as gambling is banned in China, but is legal in the Philippines.

“Those that got their passports withheld can’t complain to any government. They can’t go to the Philippine government, and if they go to the Chinese embassy, they can get arrested,” Camba said.

As if the working conditions were not enough, the Chinese workers also have to face racism.

“He does not have Facebook and does not understand English, but I think it's better that way so that he can’t see the racism online,” Daryl said.

Wei admitted that he is very aware of the actions of some of his colleagues, but said not all of them are rude.

According to Ivy Ganadillo, Chinese studies professor at the Ateneo de Manila University, mainlanders have long been fending off racist remarks here.

“The common stereotype with the Chinese of course, is being ill-mannered, not behaving well in public, but the stigma actually came first from the Filipino-Chinese community,” Ganadillo said.

For Pitlo, Filipinos’ judgment had already been clouded by news reports on the West Philippine Sea dispute, as well as China’s aggressive economic expansion.

“Online gambling has nothing to do with the Chinese government's moves, but there is a misconception, it gets meshed up with all that,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Chinese worker Camba was able to interview hopes for better understanding.

“I wish for better relations between the Philippines and China. We are all honestly trying to survive in this world,” a Chinese worker told PCIJ.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i can relate to the first four words of that article

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yes there’s no possible way state mandated education could be a medium of cultural eradication.

a lot of western countries have state mandated education, germany doesn't even allow homeschooling

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

nation states are definitely dumb but not as dumb as city states

when will Singapore build an upper plate above its public housing and finally complete its destiny of becoming the Midgar of the South Seas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FFVII but all the playable characters are Malay and sephiroth is Elizabeth ii

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Venom Snake posted:

a lot of western countries have state mandated education, germany doesn't even allow homeschooling

Germany, obviously, is a superior country to the godless United States for this rule.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

CD is literally run by the CPC so if you want to know what the state thinks about something, especially in China where information from the state is difficult to come by, they're a pretty safe bet, even if they're biased.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Lightning Knight posted:

Germany, obviously, is a superior country to the godless United States for this rule.

You meant the fundie country United States.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Grapplejack posted:

CD is literally run by the CPC so if you want to know what the state thinks about something, especially in China where information from the state is difficult to come by, they're a pretty safe bet, even if they're biased.

It lets you know what the state says not what the state thinks. there's a diifference

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's excerpts of statements and quotes. It's not like R Guy was posting an OpEd

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

tino posted:

You meant the fundie country United States.

it is a false god we follow, named capitalism.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

R. Guyovich posted:

if you read the full statement rather than the one selectively pruned by the new york times, it's pretty obvious that official was rejecting the premise of the question.

Slandering Xinjiang as 'no rights zone' against fact, Chinese official told UN panel

and education as a component of anti-terrorism has been public policy for years in xinjiang, long before the anti-china propaganda push started in earnest last year.

Islamic institute steps up training to fight extremism

Drive against terrorism in Xinjiang shows result

Kashgar finds success in crackdown on terror cells

Huocheng provides training for bilingual teachers

The inhabitants of Xinjiang are rather ungrateful if you think about it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

The inhabitants of Xinjiang are rather ungrateful if you think about it

i've met someone who actually thinks this

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yeah that guy who predicts china's collapse every year is very reliable

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

R. Guyovich posted:

as i said, state media is a useful barometer of the state's line. unless you think the stories are pure fiction this means there is at least the knowledge of a correct approach and a desire to follow it, if only for appearance's sake.

just like we can learn a lot from what corporate media chooses to cover and how it's framed, we can do the same with state outlets. china daily happens to be in english and easily collated, which is why i used them

So it demonstrates that the state knows that extrajudicial prison camps are bad, because they aren't bragging or admitting to the things hundreds of eyewitnesses have described. Publicly available local government documents also show bulk orders for things such as cattle prods, which is totally normal in a humane facility

Vocational training is nice, but US prisons also teach classes and no one's trying to pretend they're schools.

Also, what kind of an economic impact does the average low-income family face when their sole breadwinner is sent to prison for a year or two?

Anyway, I apologize earlier for misinterpreting their "no such thing as re-education centers" statement as a denial of their existence

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

R. Guyovich posted:

i've met someone who actually thinks this

well the Uighurs gets affirmative action admission to universities and wasn't subjected to one-child policy. So it's actually other chinese who are being discriminated against

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Typo posted:

well the Uighurs gets affirmative action admission to universities and wasn't subjected to one-child policy. So it's actually other chinese who are being discriminated against

so china really is like america

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The document vox cited comes from claims made by a sketchy group in turkey whose only web presence is a facebook profile. They have never been made publicly available- AFP just claims that they examined them. You cannot see them for yourselves. Unlike the stories western media ran about "social credit" (which ended in favor of the "concentration camp" campaign) that linked to original source documents in mandarin which could plausibly be construed as supporting "social credit."

The AFP ran that story once last year and it got picked up thousands of times in the western media as "original reporting" even though most sources just reposted the AFP story wholesale.

Anyway have another picture of "pro-democracy" protestors in Hong Kong:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Jun 14, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Anyway have another picture of "pro-democracy" protestors in Hong Kong:

Yes please post a wide frame of the million march Sunday, and show us how many of those colonial flags you see. Oh and you can add in the union jack :jerkbag:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Oh thank goodness, must be alright then. Everybody knows western nations are infallible and good.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The document vox cited comes from claims made by a sketchy group in turkey whose only web presence is a facebook profile. They have never been made publicly available- AFP just claims that they examined them. You cannot see them for yourselves. Unlike the stories western media ran about "social credit" (which ended in favor of the "concentration camp" campaign) that linked to original source documents in mandarin which could plausibly be construed as supporting "social credit."

AFP has a bit more web presence than a facebook profile. Would they lie about examining 1500 Chinese documents? You can ask the author of that AFP report if he made anything up, although he works for the NYT now

Also the social credit stories never quite stopped, there's still articles being published about it every week. But they're somewhat muddled since China has multiple social credit systems limited to certain regions.

je1 healthcare has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jun 14, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

je1 healthcare posted:

although he works for the NYT now

that's not exactly an endorsement in cspam

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Oh thank goodness, must be alright then. Everybody knows western nations are infallible and good.

Not the biggest fan of China, but I doubt mandatory schooling is the biggest evil here?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

genericnick posted:

Not the biggest fan of China, but I doubt mandatory schooling is the biggest evil here?

Didn't the US and canada use mandatory schooling as one of their tools in the cultural and quite literal genocide against indian tribes?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"education can be used as a means of political indoctrination" is less a take and more a bare tautology without really considering what exactly it is that's being taught

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurnugia posted:

Didn't the US and canada use mandatory schooling as one of their tools in the cultural and quite literal genocide against indian tribes?

in the context of those nations it was specifically children, not entire families. the idea was to take away the kids from the indian parents and basically raise the indian children as "white" as possible. no regard was given to what happened to the parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

je1 healthcare posted:

AFP has a bit more web presence than a facebook profile. Would they lie about examining 1500 Chinese documents? You can ask the author of that AFP report if he made anything up, although he works for the NYT now

Also the social credit stories never quite stopped, there's still articles being published about it every week. But they're somewhat muddled since China has multiple social credit systems limited to certain regions.

yeah, and the link in the vox article leads to the afp homepage. so where is the original story?

also the existence of a widespread security apparatus in xinjiang has never been contested. it follows that riot control weapons like the ones laid out in that seemingly inaccessible report would be purchased en masse.