Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

prefect posted:

I'm going to assume that "Eton Mess" is named after the private school that all the rich and powerful people go to so they can learn how to be more evil, so I'm not thinking well of it.

It in fact is, unfortunately.

It's made of crushed meringues with pureed strawberries and whipped cream (the pureed bit I thought was missing in the picture, although possibly that's another modern thing idk. also I've seen vanilla pudding added occasionally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
are cinnamon rolls english? they are very good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Swedish, since they serve em at IKEA.

No I don't actually know if that's true

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Dravs posted:

I can't believe I got grief for sticking up for the Lib Dems of all parties while there is a nazi apologist in the thread who has posted a picture of a corpse of a small child.

The image of that kids corpse was plastered literally everywhere for about 3 days before the entire media and apparently you too just forgot about it abruptly, and we all just pretended again that people weren't drowning in the Med.

And oval office get hosed trying to call me a nazi apologist while also whinging about getting minute stick for supporting the blood-on-hands Lib Dems.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

How is Toad-in-the-hole 2 tiers below Yorkshire pudding? It's literally the same thing but with added sausages. Does the removal of tasty sausage somehow make it more British? Is this Brexit?

Poor showing by the UK here. Post-Brexit we should be reclaiming apple pie as the God-tier British dessert. For too long the colonials have been declaring apple pie to be peak Americana, despite neither apples or pie being native to the New World.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

no but they pretend they are and call them chelsea buns

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

cant wait to see what british cuisine looks like after brexit

best of luck w farming things during a global climate collapse tho

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BMX Ninja posted:

How is Toad-in-the-hole 2 tiers below Yorkshire pudding? It's literally the same thing but with added sausages. Does the removal of tasty sausage somehow make it more British? Is this Brexit?

Poor showing by the UK here. Post-Brexit we should be reclaiming apple pie as the God-tier British dessert. For too long the colonials have been declaring apple pie to be peak Americana, despite neither apples or pie being native to the New World.

the united states isnt native to the new world either

ffs the word "colonials" is kinda a big hint wrt that!!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

galenanorth posted:

As https://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2016/1/27/the-effects-of-immigration-on-the-united-states-economy shows, the impact is minor but ambiguous in the -1.7% to +1.7% range, but only for those without high school diplomas.

http://cream-migration.org/files/Patricia_Cortes_Paper.pdf

For unemployment, most sources reach something like the following conclusion from http://www.nber.org/papers/w24333.pdf

In other words, there's mixed evidence the impact is minimal for the "young, unskilled" group when it comes to wages, but for unemployment researchers haven't focused on this group specifically. Blau and Mackie (2016) argue that immigration will be a benefit to the U.S. economy overall, especially by the second generation. I think legal immigration should be drastically increased, and I agree with the idea that open borders would double global GDP, but the gains will need to be redistributed, regardless of the immigration impact, but especially to offset these concerns.

Yeah this is the picture as I see it. In theory, its possible for immigration to negatively effect wages, but the actual observed effect is miniscule. That paper came out in 2005, when there were 8 million immigrants entering the US every year. So to decrease the wages of US low skilled natives by 0.6 percent, you have to add an addition 800,000 immigrants, if there 's even an effect at all.

Basically anyone trying to tell you that Polish plumbers are keeping wages down is just wrong. If they tell you they've seen it with their own eyes, they are full of poo poo or are liers, these effects are so minuscule they are impossible to notice on the ground, so to speak. We have to acknowledge people's real concerns, but also reject the right-wing framing of the problem.

If a first world country went as far as to have completely open borders to the world it very well might induce enough immigration to effect the wages of natives. Of course the volume of immigrants would have to be so gigantic that the effect on low skill wages would probably be the least of everyone's concern.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Vitamin P posted:

The image of that kids corpse was plastered literally everywhere for about 3 days before the entire media and apparently you too just forgot about it abruptly, and we all just pretended again that people weren't drowning in the Med.

And oval office get hosed trying to call me a nazi apologist while also whinging about getting minute stick for supporting the blood-on-hands Lib Dems.

What exactly leads you to believe other posters ITT have forgotten about that image? They’re not the ones going on about being “anti-immigration” and expressing betrayal at the idea that the party with whom they share a degree of political affinity that was full of fascist politicians turned out to ally with nazis.

I’m seriously trying to figure out your endgame at posting it in this thread, given your awareness that nobody here agrees with Farage or his euro-nazi cronies to the extent that you do. I can only imagine it as a cry for help, because I can’t see what other case you’re trying to make.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Private Speech posted:

I think there's also some claims to falafels or something like that?

There are no British claims to friggin' falafel lol.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I like kippers

wrong account vitamin p

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

poty posted:

if fish and chips is god tier anything below is probably not edible at all

says the person who has clearly never eaten yorkshire pudding with beef gravy poured all over it

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Vitamin P posted:

Lmao shut up nazi apologist

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

haggis is loving delicious fyi

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Saw a Royal Marine being trained how to use a petrol tanker at a station this morning. So in the event of no deal nervous young men in fatigues will ensure adequate supplies of fuel.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Vitamin P posted:

explain again why anyone should be surprised or feel betrayed that the farage party bolted to the open arms of the far right

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The blandest stuff is at the top and tastiest stuff at the bottom. The old "Going out for an English" sketch was very on point

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

If we kick all the foreigners out you can get your job back at the, recently nationalized, racism factory

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

What about kebab?

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Dunno if the British kebabs are the same as turkish kebabs

But turkish kebabs own and are one of the best fast foods

Döner kebab hmmmmmmm

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

BoJo won first round of votes with 114. Next closest was Hunt with 43.

Its BoJo the Clown for PM and no deal for sure.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Judging by how well the tories have been handling the past 3 or so years, no deal is going to be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine under Boris. nothing to worry about at all.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
On the bright side Rory Stewart also got through, can't wait to see even more of those gums

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

The blandest stuff is at the top and tastiest stuff at the bottom. The old "Going out for an English" sketch was very on point

the scampi is particularly bland, sir

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If Boris Johnson becomes PM there should by rights be full on riots in the streets

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

excited for the forthcoming bojo/bercow brexit bust-ups

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I can't belive they're making a game set in post-Brexit London that will be released before Brexit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo bojo

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
kippers are delicious but since its britain i assume its canned in that clear flavorless gelatin or vinegar or something

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol pm boris

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

kippers are delicious but since its britain i assume its canned in that clear flavorless gelatin or vinegar or something

Yes, smoked kippers with a bit of vinegar and some bread and butter. I used that have that quite a lot when I was young.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

borjordaaaaah

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

There were times where it seemed like we were in danger of doing something not stupid like cancelling brexit or leaving with a deal and the US would regain its title as most dumbest country, but thankfully we've pulled back from the brink and PM bojo will push us right off the cliff so we can continue to lead the world in pure unrestrained idiocy.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

prime minister boris loving johnson hell yeah let's do this

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BY THE old Moulmein Pagoda, lookin' lazy at the sea,
There's a Burma girl a-settin', and I know she thinks o' me;
For the wind is in the palm-trees, and the temple-bells they say:
"Come you back, you British soldier; come you back to Mandalay!"

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

PM Bojo, you're actually doing it. You absolute madmen!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

is Boris really going to do a no-deal Brexit

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

is Boris really going to do a no-deal Brexit

Boris means Brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004