Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

I really thought there was only a narrow VFR corridor through there. I can’t believe flying a few hundred feet over golden gate park is legal.

It isn't.

quote:

(c)Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

And I'm pretty sure thats a congested area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah if he caused an accident I doubt the NTSB would consider the bay that close to the bridge “open water”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can report him to the FAA here.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Midjack posted:

You can report him to the FAA here.

ASI guy on Reddit is on the case.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If an update is ever posted, it'd be pretty great if that found its way here too. :)

Thanks!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What I've noticed with our students/renters is that pretty much all of our problems are caused by the same handful of chucklefucks and they just can't be fixed. Some people should not be pilots.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

e.pilot posted:

Sorry, what is an/the ASI?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

An FAA Aviation Safety Inspector. They enforce FAA regulations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Why.

I can't imagine this design is better structurally or aerodynamically than a straight wing with the engine mounted on it. It might increase the airflow to the props a little but that can't be worth the tradeoff.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The helicopter guy from Road Warrior flies this

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Apparently this monstrosity is a Custer CCW-5.

quote:

It was claimed that the aircraft could fly under control at 11 mph (18 km/h) and that it could take off with a 1,500 lb (680 kg) load at 70% power in 90 ft (28 m).[4]
:captainpop:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently this monstrosity is a Custer CCW-5.

:captainpop:

Thats pretty great and amazing if true.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Cross-posting from the Eastern Europe thread.

quote:

An-124s 'arrested'!

On 28 May 2019 the Podilskyi District Court of Kyiv arrested and prohibited the operation of five An-124-100 Ruslans, owned by Volga-Dnepr Airlines (Russia), after a motion filed by the Main Directorate of the National Police in Kyiv.

The court imposed grounding of An-124-100's owned by Volga-Dnepr Airlines (Russia) and Volga Dnepr Airlines (Ireland), namely, RA-82068 (msn 9773051359127, line 07-03), RA-82078 (msn 9773054559153, line 07-10), RA-82045 (msn 9773052255113, line 06-09), RA-82046 (msn 9773052255117, line 06-10) and RA-82077 (msn 9773054459151, line 07-09), and prohibited airlines and any other persons from their operation.

In addition, any third parties (airports, aviation authorities) are prohibited from carrying out any actions aimed at landing/take-off (arrival/departure) of these aircraft.

The reason for the court order is that following a complaint filed by SE Antonov (holder of the Type Certificate) the law enforcement agencies of Ukraine are investigating the fact that Rosaviation, as the developer of An-124-100 aircraft modifications and issuer of the Supplemental Type Certificate), has done so illegaly. The unlawful actions of Rosaviation resulted in the extension of airworthiness for An-124-100 aircraft operated by Volga-Dnepr Airlines – without due participation of SE Antonov – which jeopardised the safe operation of these aircraft.

State Enterprise Antonov is the Ukrainian state-owned enterprise, whose main activities include the development, production and repair of Antonov series aircraft.

These groundings, I think, are on paper only, as I doubt Volga-Dnepr would be dumb enough to put their planes on Ukrainian soil, and I don’t expect it to be enforced by anyone outside of the country. There’s a lot of An-s in Russia still flying, so it was only a matter of time maintenance and certification became a problem. I wonder if the Russians are going to try to split or clone the type.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Today I got to land a 787! (in the sim) . It was still neat though. Then my colleague hit the "collapsed lh main gear" button on the control console... Then it was exciting! Normally I'm pretty bad at airplane controlling in the sim, but keeping the little circle inside the big circle ("making donuts") on the HUD made it a lot easier.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

PT6A posted:

What I've noticed with our students/renters is that pretty much all of our problems are caused by the same handful of chucklefucks and they just can't be fixed. Some people should not be pilots.

This holds true for a lot of things.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://i.imgur.com/OCFM9oh.mp4

She goes by the name "Global Girl", AKA Nada Marcinkova, and was bought by Jeffrey Epstein when she was 15 from Eastern Europe. Later she was trained up to fly his Gulfstream and acted as a recruiter and pilot for his pedophile jet trips. Now she operates a website that sells flying vouchers called Aviloop (laundering front no doubt)

For those interested the plane she's flying in the gif is a Pitts S2B.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1139104159372906497

Those are all so boring. If you're gonna change it up at least go hog loving wild with it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

https://i.imgur.com/OCFM9oh.mp4

She goes by the name "Global Girl", AKA Nada Marcinkova, and was bought by Jeffrey Epstein when she was 15 from Eastern Europe. Later she was trained up to fly his Gulfstream and acted as a recruiter and pilot for his pedophile jet trips. Now she operates a website that sells flying vouchers called Aviloop (laundering front no doubt)

For those interested the plane she's flying in the gif is a Pitts S2B.

:yikes:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

fknlo posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1139104159372906497

Those are all so boring. If you're gonna change it up at least go hog loving wild with it.

I agree. So if somebody could post an appropriate line drawing, we can get this party started

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It kind of reminds me of the old bare metal+red/white/blue cheatline American livery.

Yeah no, the American livery is a million times better, just outright steal it if thats what you want to do.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

For real, I'd rather have that instead of that boring poo poo. I'm legit surprised he's entertaining something that restrained.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Looks like the old TWA livery, like almost exactly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I actually do not hate the proposed livery, except I'd like to see something more interesting done with the tail than "WHITE WITH A FLAG ON!"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's pretty much just the Trump shuttle livery because he is nothing else if not lazy and devoid of imagination

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't hate the livery on its own merits, I hate it because he likes it. And the current AF1 livery is rather iconic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The current livery was designed by Raymond Loewy and replacing it would be heretical :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

The current livery was designed by Raymond Loewy and replacing it would be heretical :colbert:

This is the correct opinion on this. :colbert:

Related: Anyone ever seen a picture of a VC-25A on a tanker? I can't find any.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Honestly I was expecting more gold. I wonder how many times someone had to explain to him that wrapping the plane in gold leaf just isn't practical.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

This is the correct opinion on this. :colbert:

Related: Anyone ever seen a picture of a VC-25A on a tanker? I can't find any.

Supposedly that capability has never been used operationally. I would expect that its been tested at least once though?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Supposedly that capability has never been used operationally. I would expect that its been tested at least once though?

Surely the pilots have at least done some practice runs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Surely the pilots have at least done some practice runs.

In an E-4 maybe?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I agree. So if somebody could post an appropriate line drawing, we can get this party started

Can someone please tell me the difference between A and C (and B and D)? I see the engine color but otherwise all 4 look exactly the same.

Is this what being in the government is like?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Can someone please tell me the difference between A and C (and B and D)? I see the engine color but otherwise all 4 look exactly the same.

In front of, and under, the wings?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

A and B appear to be labeled "Blue engines" and "White engines", I can't make out anything for C and D but they appear to start with "Blue engines" and "White engines" so I'm guessing its just something slightly different about the pods?

Looking closer maybe it says "Blue/white engines, grey cheat line"?

edit: ^^^ sure enough

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Adiabatic posted:

A and B have a dark blue underbelly through the wing root fairing and rear fuselage, while C and D are gray. Otherwise, A and C and B and D are identical to one another.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So the first transatlantic flight is going to reach its centennial on June 14th - 15th. I've been reading a book on the flight as I didn't know a great deal about it. The Vickers Vimy Alcock and Brown flew generated non-engine electricity by a little wind generator. First question: why? Did the Rolls-Royce Eagle engines not have an alternator? I don't get why they'd have two different electrical systems.

Second: here is a list of Brown's navigation equipment. I understand what some of these are (like charts and a sextant, obviously) but some of the others are a little obscure to me: Mercantor's chart with two overlays for shooting current sun and stars, Naval sextant with special extra deep grooves for easy reading with vibration, a six inch drift bearing plate (?), an artificial split level horizon (?) [apparently different from a gyro artificial horizon], a baker navigation machine (?), an Appleyard [great brand name] course and distance calculator (?), transverse tables for dead reckoning calculation, and aircraft compass.

Third: So I totally forgot the first flight across the Atlantic was a competition started by the Daily Mail with a 10,000 pound reward. I'm reading a book from the 1950s on the flight, and it has a...story about one of the other entrants, the Martinside Raymor. [A single wing version of the Martinsyde (if you believe wikipedia) Buzzard biplane]. So the Raymor is complete, and to test it, they tie it down and fill it with fuel and oil, and let it run at full throttle for 24 hours. But the Pilots also choose to test themselves, and with only the food they would take with them, sat in the goddamn airplane that was testing its engine for 24 hours.

quote:

During the night the factory watchman looked with astonishment at the Raymor, shining his lantern on the two helmeted and goggled figures in the cockpit.

Which I love because in my mind it implies that not only were they doing this really weird, pointless test, they did it and they didn't tell the night watchmen what they were doing.

Or maybe the night watchmen questioned the whole "and we're in the airplane the whole time!!" aspect and just couldn't fuckin' believe it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

that's literally an Air Koryo palette swap and my rage is boundless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I can only field the alternator question, most planes of the era didn't have them.