Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ok there Mazda Miata behind the Applebees

You can't gently caress in a Miata unless you're, like, a gnome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Phy posted:

Whoever said "in"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Phy posted:

what is wrong with being a gnome there longshanks?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Then, a few days ago, one of the devs showed up and dropped some details on what's been happening behind the scenes.

Now the rest of the team has showed up to share war stories (except one guy who refuses to admit the project is dead) about the hilariously over-engineered systems that killed the project and various ideas, lovely and brilliant, the team had. It's worth a look if you want to see how badly game dev can go wrong with stuff like copy-pasted armies of an NPC called Dark Draker and using a baby crying as a placeholder sound.
drat, that's some good drama.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

what is wrong with being a gnome there longshanks?

Well, I assume it's tough to keep the hat on in a stiff wind

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phy posted:

You just aren't creative enough

tho a vert would help

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Y'all need to try sitting your 6'2" rear end in the new Supra

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Then, a few days ago, one of the devs showed up and dropped some details on what's been happening behind the scenes.

Now the rest of the team has showed up to share war stories (except one guy who refuses to admit the project is dead) about the hilariously over-engineered systems that killed the project and various ideas, lovely and brilliant, the team had. It's worth a look if you want to see how badly game dev can go wrong with stuff like copy-pasted armies of an NPC called Dark Draker and using a baby crying as a placeholder sound.

That was a read, with a promise of developer drama (and tidbits!) still incoming. It's like a time machine to 2012 with old forums ghosts rising from the grave to comment on the one goon project to end all goon projects :allears:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Some frankly incredible poo poo in that thread, holy moly

FrankieSmileShow posted:

To be clear, the gun's being modular and gun fusion was an idea in the game at the start, thats not from me. That was in the original big design, a core idea of the game I think.
The things I "pushed for" that I mentioned above were just specifically the "materials", and the specific way to decide on "gun types" in fusions.
I dont want to make it seem like im taking credit for the general idea of having cool weapon effects combine together.

Bhroom pushed for an equally absurd idea for deciding the gun material result (edit: that chef mentioned above, I just noticed!), that is also currently in the game and working fine as far as I know: that all of the gun materials are actually elements that fit onto a periodic table of elements, with atomic numbers etc (each material having an actual real world element counterpart, and a few materials ARE a real world element like Gold, Iron etc, and those have their proper place on that table) and the fusions result actually use logic inspired of chemistry, based on atom orbitals and whatever, and that this was supposed to be one of the biggest loving secrets of the game, never to be revealed to players whatsoever, something people were supposed to realize only much later after having made charts of how materials seem to relate to one another, with the few real-world element materials being huge hints about it.

Another absurd idea, but this one I dont remember who came up with it (might be chef, bort or bhroom, or might have come from a brainstorm of several people) was to have the affixes work from genes, with recessive and dominant genes and whatnot. Again, this is all, as far as I know, in the game and working correctly right now. Like, some of these absurd ideas we actually put together and they worked.

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Here is a screenshot of the periodic table of gun materials that Bhroom made.

We came up with most of these materials together, but he figured out how to arrange them, and this all worked, as absurd as it was.
There was another chart where you could select two materials and it showed you the result.
The idea was to have the resulting materials of a fusion seem random to the player at first, but every material combination always having the same result meant people could "map" how the combinations work, and eventually maybe actually realize the full horror of what we made, this table above here.

Some of these gun materials I later worked on to make their shots have more personality, and that was a lot of fun. The Klispin (I think we renamed it Marble?) gun fired spooky ghosts that hunted down enemies and moved through them (basically the wraithverge weapon from Hexen), the pinata gun fired candy, the yggdrasil gun left behind a trail of nature, grass and flowers growing, the crystal gun shots exploded in random shrapnel, while the diamond gun exploded in shrapnel flying in specific angular directions, the fungus gun fired floating spores that spawned mushrooms when it hit the ground, the imaginary guns were all Hoopz just holding nothing in his hands, firing invisible hitscan bullets and making gun sounds with his mouth, and was supposed to be more powerful the more innocent Hoopz was (basically the less time passed I think the stronger it would get? Im not sure we ever implemented that idea though!).

NLJP has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Jun 6, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Phy posted:

Well, I assume it's tough to keep the hat on in a stiff wind

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NLJP posted:

Some frankly incredible poo poo in that thread, holy moly

These ideas need to be stolen for something.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Where’s the original of “a n*gga fart in he own mouf (sp?)...a shameful n*gga” from? I can’t find it for the life of me. I think it was overheard at a gas station and recounted on some old hip hop forum

e: better?

Head Bee Guy has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jun 13, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Head Bee Guy posted:

Why DID I quote it???

I dunno if it's allowed anymore, you might want to edit it out. I ate a probe for making a caveman version of this.

Ichabod Tane has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Jun 13, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

I dunno if it's allowed anymore, you might want to edit it out. I ate a probe for making a caveman version of this.

then why did you quote it :thunk:

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
https://www.somethingawful.com/weekend-web/david-icke-underground/5/

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Arivia posted:

then why did you quote it :thunk:

WHY INDEED

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A shameful quote

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

I saw that, but I’m looking for a screencap of the original post

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Head Bee Guy posted:

I saw that, but I’m looking for a screencap of the original post

That's where it originated, as far I as know.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2182

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

What about “....I poo poo trains, now what?” I remember the tshirt but I don’t remember where exactly it came from.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://i.imgur.com/vlUwX6E.gif

creator unknown

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

empty baggie posted:

What about “....I poo poo trains, now what?” I remember the tshirt but I don’t remember where exactly it came from.

IIRC, It started as an in-joke a goon had, and he created the famous shirt as well as an alternative back-up (“Motherfucker...”) in case the party he went to wasn't 100% lilly white.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

empty baggie posted:

I think that was basically the entire story. People were trying to come up with the least wearable t-shirt that could possibly exist so somebody came up with that phrase then somebody else made a ridiculous backstory for the phrase.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Yeah, there was that and the "Liquid boron vs a truckload of babies" shirt and others I'm forgetting at the moment.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mammal Sauce posted:

"Liquid boron vs a truckload of babies"

Now I really wish I hadn’t missed that thread. At the time I mean. Obviously.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Clochette (floor pizza) has resurfaced and ooh boy it's a doozy

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892192&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

stab has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Jun 19, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Imagine being so desperate to leave your toxic family behind that you marry someone you met on loving KiwiFarms

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Minus Green posted:

Imagine being so desperate to leave your toxic family behind that you marry someone you met on loving KiwiFarms

Im upset it got locked cause I had a good burn and I can't use it now

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I'm laughing that a mod unlocked it long enough for one of his pals to try and make a dig at me before reclosing it. This is not mod sass this is what happened and it's so good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sid Vicious posted:

I'm laughing that a mod unlocked it long enough for one of his pals to try and make a dig at me before reclosing it. This is not mod sass this is what happened and it's so good.

lmao I saw that too. Shameful as hell imho

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lmao I saw that too. Shameful as hell imho

Thank you, I'm not insane then

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That snipe was incredibly lame. Your impassioned defense of using “retard” as a pejorative term culminating with literally telling someone to go back to tumblr was also extremely bad. The whole thread was terrible.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

On one hand, that was a lovely argument, albeit one at home in that shithouse thread

On the other: a mod specifically unlocking that thread so Tallgeese could get that insanely weak "burn" in is hilarious, so good work, GBS

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Ariong posted:

That snipe was incredibly lame. Your impassioned defense of using “retard” as a pejorative term culminating with literally telling someone to go back to tumblr was also extremely bad. The whole thread was terrible.

Hey I never claimed to be good and I never said back I just said it might be more his speed

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I just like to say retard I'm sorry everyone whose respect I lost have a nice night

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao @ all of that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sid Vicious posted:

I just like to say retard I'm sorry everyone whose respect I lost have a nice night

you too pal!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sid Vicious posted:

We still love you, Sid. If black people can say the n-word, you can say the r-word.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Xarbala posted:

lmao @ all of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sid will float thru an ether of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ for all eternity