Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verman posted:

Still fairly new to moto but I flatted on my rear tire during my last trail ride so I went ahead and ordered a new tube, spoons and a curved lever. I have a background in cycling so the concept isn't new but holy poo poo are moto tires so much more work and less pliable. I watched a few youtube vids and then went at it. I used dish soap as lube and it helped a lot. My rim was pretty gross inside so while the tire was off I have it a good cleaning. I managed to get it back on and both rim locks set and managed not to pinch the tube. Huge success in my book but I also have a new respect for anyone who could repair a tube/tire on the trail.

It helps a lot to start out with a big tire iron IMO. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-17%22-mega-tire-iron-p

Then you get better at it and it still helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

builds character posted:

It helps a lot to start out with a big tire iron IMO. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-17%22-mega-tire-iron-p

Then you get better at it and it still helps.

I have these, the big curved one is 15" and it worked perfectly. I like the half flat and half curved side which both are perfect for their uses. The spoons are really nice too and work well, you don't really have to worry about poking through a tube.

The only thing I might add is a bead buddy for putting the tire back on and not slipping off as you go around. The soap made the biggest difference to be honest. I can't imagine trying to change a tire without lube.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
why the everloving gently caress would you ever have a FWD e-bike

talk about missing the goddamn point

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The route to school is uphill both ways?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
lol what exactly is the point of a 500w ebike outside of propelling me to 20+ mph? I've got other machines for wheelies and skids, I wanted to be able to swap everything on and off in 15 minutes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

torque steer on a bike might be neat to experience

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

lol what exactly is the point of a 500w ebike outside of propelling me to 20+ mph? I've got other machines for wheelies and skids, I wanted to be able to swap everything on and off in 15 minutes.

Still wheelies and skids?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

Technically it's AWD and that's pretty cool.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

fitted a mosko moto pico to it:

fits my DSLR and a lens or my mavic pro. now I can definitely ditch the panniers after setting up camp since those are the things I usually like to bring with me while riding single track :D

see through plastic also lets me use offline maps on it and my gloves still work with it. quite excited to get lost

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Spent like 3 hours trying to get my stock pilot screw out because I have a replacement thumb screw because my riding environment is sea level so 8000' and freezing to 80F. "it's a small flat head screwdriver" says the internet. Of course access and visibility is tight so I finally got the whole fuckin carb out so I have space to work and shine light into it. Turns out it's a single-D screw top and I need to order the right bit.

E: gently caress it, while it's out I am getting a jet kit so I don't have to take it out again

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 10, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I pulled the rear tire on the Husky today, it looks like a pinch flat, but the inner rubber band was all loose and the spoke nuts had worn holes through it, isn't this supposed to be glued down? I'm replacing it, but how should it be affixed? I need an expert opinion here.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

I pulled the rear tire on the Husky today, it looks like a pinch flat, but the inner rubber band was all loose and the spoke nuts had worn holes through it, isn't this supposed to be glued down? I'm replacing it, but how should it be affixed? I need an expert opinion here.

Just get a new rim strip and put it on. Or just use duct tape. Either one is fine. Rim strips don’t get glued down.

Or go tubliss and use their rim tape.

Also, use HD or UHD tubes if you’re going to run low pressures. I assume you didn’t replace the tubes your bike came with? I think they’re not using super thick tubes to save weight. Just my two cents on that though.

E: nitro mousse are supposed to be longer lasting than Michelin’s and avoid this problem completely. Suuuuper pain in the rear end to change I’ve heard - never done it myself.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Like BC said, just change out the rim strip. No need to fix it down.

I'm surprised how thin dirtbike rim strips are given how large the backside of the nipples are. I've seen thicker rim strips on bicycles. Mine was the same way when I pulled it last week.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks for the advice guys!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

AlexanderCA posted:

Trying to do the balancer chain. But not having done anything like this before I didn't anticipate the work involved getting rid of a old gasket of uncertain age.

Going to take at least another hour of scraping.

I’m going to walk back my previous statement of “just use gasket remover/aircraft stripper, it’ll come right off!” I’m trying to get the old clutch cover gasket off and it’s just soaking up aircraft stripper and laughing at me, even with careful razoring. Oh, and that poo poo soaks right through 7 mil nitrile gloves and still burns.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I put loctite on the bolts holding the neutral sending unit in place because they’re notorious for backing out and getting eaten by the clutch on a DR650. That necessitated a new clutch cover gasket, and stripping the old one off took me a good two hours of scraping and applying aircraft stripper with a q-tip. Finally had to sand it to deal with the last stubborn bits of baked on gasket. gently caress gaskets and gently caress aircraft stripper. I put on a super thin layer of rtv in case my stripping gouged up the clutch cover surface and I just know I’m going to hate myself for that when I need to do the clutch some day.

Also put on a new cam chain tensioner gasket (which involved buying a 10mm socket drive Allen wrench to open the crank cover for setting tdc) and crush washers on all the oil hose banjoes. And of course none of the auto parts stores in town have the right oil filter.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 13, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Have you checked DR forums for some glorious autist who has compiled a list of every filter ever that fits the thread pitch and gasket diameter? This helped a lot with my Suzuki oil filter problems, 'cause Suzuki apparently hates standard sized poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elviscat posted:

Have you checked DR forums for some glorious autist who has compiled a list of every filter ever that fits the thread pitch and gasket diameter? This helped a lot with my Suzuki oil filter problems, 'cause Suzuki apparently hates standard sized poo poo.

Yup, got a cross reference list with about 12 brands. It’s a cartridge filter, so no worries about threads. Just one odd size that nobody carries on the shelf apparently.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Dropped it in a soft gravel/sand parking lot because I was rushing to get to a meeting. Scuffed the bar-end and slider and slightly bent both the brake pedal and my just-installed-last-weekend new plate bracket and turn signals. Thankfully it’s an ‘04 FZ6 with 30k miles and plenty of other minor blemishes but I still feel like a dumbass.

Takeaway: Don’t rush. Especially don’t rush when maneuvering the bike in the sand when you’re not sitting on it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

shoved a mosko moto pinner tool roll into it after the OEM bag started to disintegrate:

I love their stuff so very much

tjones
May 13, 2005
I didn't ride much last year and none this winter due to time constraints. Summer decided to show up two months ago so I've been rapidly trying to knock out all the routine stuff.

New oil. Coolant and brake fluid flush. Checked cam chain tension. Gave the drive chain some TLC. New front tire. Bike got its yearly scrub and detail. I'm gearing up to knock out the fork oil and seals and swap in a fresh clutch pack.

I took a four hour round trip to Barber. Hopefully the rest of the year goes well. Feels good to be back riding again.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Stray followed me home.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Changed my oil. That's it. Would rather be riding it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Revvik posted:

Stray followed me home.

Nice naked Gold Wing!! :heysexy:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Does the rear lamp need bolting back on? Looks a little droopy :raise:

Sweet bike though, I love the old four cylinder 'wings.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It does. It also needs to be caught up on like, 30 years of deferred maintenance. I’m going to just follow this long rear end NGW post on front end renewal and timing belts. It also needs a rear tire and a shitload of rust removal and scrubbing of aluminum.

Oh and a new exhaust. Anyone got a GL1000 exhaust sitting around? Mine has um a lot of holes in it.

I’ve never seen a Candy Grandeur Blue one before. It’s really growing on me.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Not sure if you care or not, but watch out that the grippy surface on the underside of that bag doesn't gently caress up that tank panel. The Wolfman tank bag that came on my GS discolored the paint b/c the PO never took it off. The panel was easy enough to replace but dropping two bills for some painted plastic from the fatherland sucked.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Naked Goldwings are the best bikes ever, I'd buy one now if they restarted production. Timing belts are easy, good luck though if you decide to pull the tank for rust!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

Not sure if you care or not, but watch out that the grippy surface on the underside of that bag doesn't gently caress up that tank panel. The Wolfman tank bag that came on my GS discolored the paint b/c the PO never took it off. The panel was easy enough to replace but dropping two bills for some painted plastic from the fatherland sucked.

I do not care as I will 100% be riding this thing til it dies or I die, but thank you :)

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

Naked Goldwings are the best bikes ever, I'd buy one now if they restarted production. Timing belts are easy, good luck though if you decide to pull the tank for rust!

gently caress that, it doesn’t leak and it runs fuel through the main line and the reserve line so I’m going with blissful ignorance on any gas tank problems this thing has.

It’s an improvement.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 17, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I ran out of gas :shepface:

I hadn't ridden my CL350 in a number of months so I got on it and rode around and just plum forgot that the petcock is busted and when I rebuilt it I swapped the main and reserve circuit positions to make it work sort of. So I rode around on "main" and ran the tank dry and had to push it a mile uphill to the nearest gas station.

It's only 327lb but ugh that still just blooooows

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Revvik posted:

gently caress that, it doesn’t leak and it runs fuel through the main line and the reserve line so I’m going with blissful ignorance on any gas tank problems this thing has.

It’s an improvement.

Niiiice :frogc00l:

What did you use?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Soaked it in distilled white vinegar for a couple hours. Wipe it down, hit the stubborn spots with steel wool. Baking soda and water rinse to kill the vinegar reaction.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Re-jetted and added a thumb turn pilot screw to the CRFX, which required: removing the saddle, gas tank, rear shock, breather tubes, carburetor, float bowl, and the goddamn California plug. Then I had to put it all together 3 or 4 times because poo poo's packed so tight in there that it took several tries to get everything wedged in and routed correctly.

Learned a trick: water-based lube for sensitive human areas works really well for carb boots. Had some around from the Alaska trip that I used to keep my zippers and visor working.

I'm jetted for 3000-7000 feet even though I usually ride 500-3000; got that WABDR ride coming up in a few weeks that is going to be mostly in the 3k-7k elevation range. Hell, the high elevation jetting I have now still feels fatter and nicer than the stock fueling.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

That’s a new one to me, thanks Kobalt.

This seat-off tear fender thing was pretty involved and that wiring harness looks, feels, and smells awful. But the rear was in worse shape than the front.

Crash guards, exhaust covers, rear fender, headlight mount, and other random bits have been scoured of rust. Today is the only day this week I will have time for the next task on my list that I’m dreading more than any: I have to get it plated. Needs to be done though; I keep taking it out 😬

(Last time I was in a Michigan SOS, their computer was down for over an hour before they even notified the crowd)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That looks like a drat fine mode of transportation!

Good luck at the DMV or local equivalent (SOS is a new one for me)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elviscat posted:

That looks like a drat fine mode of transportation!

Good luck at the DMV or local equivalent (SOS is a new one for me)

secretary of state

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Appropriate acronym

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got the CRFXs set up with street legal license and registration! Brap brap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I took off the lower fairing of the Ninja 250 and epoxied the backs of the multiple large cracks in it from the previous, previous owner. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but looks fine and isn't going to fall apart.