Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My best seagoing jacket was a Dakota three in one khaki / brown work jacket.

But then my job as an officer involved climbing on top of poo poo, pulling wires and standing under an unloading boom so I might have different criterias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

I bought an officers bridge coat version second hand, removed all the silly gold stuff, replaced it with enlisted buttons and it’s my favorite coat ever.

Also weights like 15lbs.

Also found one secondhand several years before I joined in, didn't even realize it was an official Navy one until I checked the tag on the inside and saw it was the same as some of my gear. I'd just though the plastic anchor buttons were nautical themed :blush:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Political appointees are cool and good.

*laughs nervously in Annapolis-ese*

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Add wool linings to the neck and wrists of poopy suits and call it a day

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
what is the real name of the Boat Coat?
I always just called it a Boat Coat cause it was like a utility jacket but it was blue and for some mysterious reason lost in the fog of time, you were literally only allowed to wear them on the boat. Usually they'd have a stencil of the div or wc or whatever on the back
That's the one I want

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

what is the real name of the Boat Coat?
I always just called it a Boat Coat cause it was like a utility jacket but it was blue and for some mysterious reason lost in the fog of time, you were literally only allowed to wear them on the boat. Usually they'd have a stencil of the div or wc or whatever on the back
That's the one I want

Foul weather jackets? They're an organizational item.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Foul weather jackets? They're an organizational item.

They're an organizational item but I kept mine when we decommed the ship, warm as gently caress and durable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
IMO they should make officers go back to the early 1900s uniforms that made them look like singing telegram deliverymen or NYC apartment doormen.

My theory is that Chester Nimitz always knew he could whip the Japanese because he'd had to wear this for years and years:

Compared to that, Kamikazes ain't poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 14, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Preach to the choir of the big guns.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The utility jacket was the best and I still have mine from 2006.

Same.

Kept all the coats; utility jacket, Eisenhower, pea coat, raincoat + liner, foul weather.

Then I moved to Florida.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Leather jackets are old news anyway. All the cool pilots are wearing these:

https://www.massif.com/navair-elements-jacket-battleshield.html

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Vriess posted:

Same.

Kept all the coats; utility jacket, Eisenhower, pea coat, raincoat + liner, foul weather.

Then I moved to Florida.

Hey it snowed in Jacksonville once.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Anyone else a member of Navy groups on Facebook? Surprising no one they seem to be filled with a ton of retired warmongers who really want to bomb Iran for...reasons.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Anyone else a member of Navy groups on Facebook? Surprising no one they seem to be filled with a ton of retired warmongers who really want to bomb Iran for...reasons.

I actually left one of the nukes groups because of the chud ratio.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Madurai posted:

I actually left one of the nukes groups because of the chud ratio.

I'm in an lgbtq chief's group and it is good. Either positive stuff or clowning on chud groups.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

PneumonicBook posted:

I joined one because a friend invited me. I only stay because its basically like watching an infinite loop of a horrifying trainwreck.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm in an lgbtq chief's group and it is good. Either positive stuff or clowning on chud groups.

Yea Id imagine most LGBTQ groups are positive places to be. All the combat systems groups I'm a part of are more or less chud central. Yesterday some 60 year old posted IN ALL CAPS about he's ready to be recalled to shoot missiles at brown people WHO TRIED TO KILL HIM ONCE YOU SEE. It's like a pathetic trainwreck.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Meet the next Naval War College president

But it doesn't answer the biggest question: does she inherit the last guy's margarita machine, or does she have to provide her own?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I wonder if she's related to this dude.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm in a few Career Counselor/Navy Counselor groups and they're very tame. Mostly filled with dorks that don't know how to Google a MILPERSMAN article or read an OPNAVINST.

But the FB group from my Destroyer is a shitshow. I was on a Spruance, not a Burke, so I have all kinds of old nasty sexist racist homophobic turds posting garbage from trash websites. I stay in the group purely for entertainment purposes.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

I'm in a few Career Counselor/Navy Counselor groups and they're very tame. Mostly filled with dorks that don't know how to Google a MILPERSMAN article or read an OPNAVINST.

But the FB group from my Destroyer is a shitshow. I was on a Spruance, not a Burke, so I have all kinds of old nasty sexist racist homophobic turds posting garbage from trash websites. I stay in the group purely for entertainment purposes.

Yea I'm sure a lot of it is rate related. Most FCs PUT WARHEADS ON FOREHEADS and that attracts a certain type.

Most of the Iran discussion got deleted because some of us were contending that it was a false flag by someone other than Iran, and conspiracy theories aren;t allowed. Also I made fun of a bunch of gung ho retired guys which is ABSOLUTELY NOT ALLOWED!

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

If we're doing that we should also rock the battle apron

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm in the McCain facebook group and it's been very fun seeing all the Trump fans try to figure out how to feel.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
There's a female officer group that's not bad. There's a lot of uniform and child care questions on it, but honestly it's fairly positive.

Also, graduated on Friday. I didn't know that the CNO's son was in my graduating class from NPS, so that was a bit of a surprise when the CNO called him out during his speech.

I wore the old female service dress whites one last time, and glad that I did. Apparently the female chockers don't have pockets at all. The pants have a tiny pocket that you might be able to get your ID in, but that's it. Thanks again Navy for making us change uniforms and then making it completely useless from a pockets perspective. I'm guessing that you consulted with a women's clothing designer who said that women don't need pockets because we carry purses, right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well the new lower enlisted dress whites are hot and uncomfortable due to the closed wrist sleeves. I’m pretty sure nobody in a hot climate was asked about them before they rolled out.

Looks great though!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why does the military have uniforms other than a single working PPE uniform for all ranks and branches? I can't imagine the military advantage of having all these dress button factories, dress cape factories, sword factories etc. tooled up all the time and having people worry over them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

shovelbum posted:

Why does the military have uniforms other than a single working PPE uniform for all ranks and branches? I can't imagine the military advantage of having all these dress button factories, dress cape factories, sword factories etc. tooled up all the time and having people worry over them.

Because it makes someone very, very rich whenever there are mandatory changes. :capitalism:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

shovelbum posted:

When the Army was looking for a new camo pattern, they saw how good MARPAT was and asked to use it and the Marines said no.

The Army ended up with ACUs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Bad Poster posted:

When the Army was looking for a new camo pattern, they saw how good MARPAT was and asked to use it and the Marines said no.

The Army ended up with ACUs.

It's absurd that the Marines could do that, of course.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's absurd that the Marines could do that, of course.

There's a surplus store outside of JBLM and it's got so much ACU stock they just threw it in a pile outside the store. Even the local bums wont wear it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

shovelbum posted:

sword factories

desperately want an e6 cutlass to wear for funsies

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shovelbum posted:

so nobles can get anime as gently caress swords

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

orange juche posted:

so nobles can get anime as gently caress swords

Its seems appropriate that the one branch that never used swords in the battlefield has the most impractical of the ceremonial swords

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don’t they use drones with spinning swords now?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

Huh, didn't think they did but I stand corrected.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

:discourse:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
NSFW... https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5718e4d3e4b0479c59d731b4/amp

NSFW

Make love not war.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How do you guys like Seal Beach for a base? I always drive by a bunch of 18 year olds dressed for the club coming off a boat. Where are they going? Leisure world?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
First appointment for my VA rating is a general exam and.....the VA outsourced it to a loving chiropractor out in town instead of a Dr at the VA clinic down the road. Lol. Just lol all day everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

King of Bees posted:

First appointment for my VA rating is a general exam and.....the VA outsourced it to a loving chiropractor out in town instead of a Dr at the VA clinic down the road. Lol. Just lol all day everyday.

VA clinics do not always have C&P people at them.