Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

IceAgeComing posted:

To argue from a feminist perspective that companies built around women and in many cases owned and ran by women aren't good enough and that women NEED to succeed in male owned and dominated companies strikes me as being, well, rather hypocritical.

"Perhaps the people complaining about sexism are the REAL sexists!" I say as I stroke my goatee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Davros1 posted:

And also because of the tirade he goes on every year during the WON HoF season about Big Daddy not being voted in.

This alone should render his opinions on anything else invalid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

dsriggs posted:

This alone should render his opinions on anything else invalid.

Listen, the Queen of England knows who Big Daddy is. I doubt she's even heard of Daniel Bryan.

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable

Davros1 posted:

Listen, the Queen of England knows who Big Daddy is. I doubt she's even heard of Daniel Bryan.

One time I heard Virgil tell someone on an airplane that while he was in Shane McMahon's hotel suite during WM30 weekend that someone explained to him that no one respected Daniel Bryan, especially the older wrestlers like Steve Austin, and that he made no money and was probably asleep on a couch in the lobby because he could fit on it and it was all he could afford.

That is to say, Big Daddy should probably be in the WON HOF before Daniel Bryan.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Seems fairly simple to me. If you want NJPW to have women's wrestling, spend lots of money supporting the Joshi promotions that currently exist so they see it as financially viable. This also has the beneficial side effect of supporting Joshi wrestlers right now.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That seems like a lot more effort than writing stupid things online

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Luke72w posted:

One time I heard Virgil tell someone on an airplane that while he was in Shane McMahon's hotel suite during WM30 weekend that someone explained to him that no one respected Daniel Bryan, especially the older wrestlers like Steve Austin, and that he made no money and was probably asleep on a couch in the lobby because he could fit on it and it was all he could afford.

That is to say, Big Daddy should probably be in the WON HOF before Daniel Bryan.

I just realised the terrifying thought of the generation of wrestlers who grew up with 2004-2012 era raw. Those now mostly greq with attitude era and talk of Eddie Guerrero a lot, and Benoit uf he wasnt persona non grata. Who will be the inspirations from that period? Im leaving out the last few years because i hope Bryan, Seth, Cesaro, Ricochet, early Bray even, might rub off.

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
Edit misread post, move along

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Seems like a Not-Stupid Opinion to me.

NJPW should partner with one of the Joshi feds and feature some of the big matches on their programming.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

List of women wrestlers mad online because they were denied an opportunity to work Wrestle Kingdom:

That said Cyborg vs Meiko Satomura would be exactly up NJPW's alley.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

coconono posted:

List of women wrestlers mad online because they were denied an opportunity to work Wrestle Kingdom:

That said Cyborg vs Meiko Satomura would be exactly up NJPW's alley.

just had flashbacks to the Gracie's in NJPW and hate you for it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lid posted:

just had flashbacks to the Gracie's in NJPW and hate you for it

Yeah but the Gracies got us Sakuraba and his sweet as poo poo mask so it all balanced out in the end.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Seems like a Not-Stupid Opinion to me.

NJPW should partner with one of the Joshi feds and feature some of the big matches on their programming.

I'm definitely not opposed to Bushiroad dropping a bunch of money in Chigusa or Meiko's lap and putting a major match or two at the Dome or Budokan. That's different to a Gedo booked women's division though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Yeah but the Gracies got us Sakuraba and his sweet as poo poo mask so it all balanced out in the end.

Plus the tag match of Sakuraba and Nagata vs the Garcies was enjoyable

(Entirely because of the Japanese team, but whatever)

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

coconono posted:

Speaking of, whatever happened to Sakuraba? Admittedly most of the time he was just used to fill a spot in CHAOS tag matches, but he pretty much disappeared without any storyline or injury that I can remember.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Germansimp posted:

Speaking of, whatever happened to Sakuraba? Admittedly most of the time he was just used to fill a spot in CHAOS tag matches, but he pretty much disappeared without any storyline or injury that I can remember.

he's retired from everything but grappling and runs his own graps fed now. Sakuraba is pretty much held together with spit and bailing wire, which made a lot of the gnarlier bumps he took in NJPW that much more crazy. Dude lost an ear in an MMA match, got on the mic and apologized to the crowd for bleeding everywhere while showing signs of going into shock.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm definitely not opposed to Bushiroad dropping a bunch of money in Chigusa or Meiko's lap and putting a major match or two at the Dome or Budokan. That's different to a Gedo booked women's division though.

He's booking the mens division so perfectly, I feel it must take so much attention I don't trust they'd book a women's division well. So sort of oursourcing the booking to a different fed while featuring some high level matches would be a way to include women's matches without the risk of it becoming lame like most women's divisions are.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The real sexism us that Stardom doesn't book men.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

he's retired from everything but grappling and runs his own graps fed now. Sakuraba is pretty much held together with spit and bailing wire, which made a lot of the gnarlier bumps he took in NJPW that much more crazy. Dude lost an ear in an MMA match, got on the mic and apologized to the crowd for bleeding everywhere while showing signs of going into shock.

In a business populated by people who believe their own hype all too often, Sakuraba is the real thing.

Talk about a dude who doesn't really have to worry about people taking liberties. Shame he's done physically, he'd fit in so well on the Bloodsport shows.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

He's booking the mens division so perfectly, I feel it must take so much attention I don't trust they'd book a women's division well. So sort of oursourcing the booking to a different fed while featuring some high level matches would be a way to include women's matches without the risk of it becoming lame like most women's divisions are.

He's booking the mens singles divisions well. I think the tag team divisions and stuff like Taichi being the heel against Taguchi and Liger because he didn't want them molesting Miho Abe are pretty indicative of how bad a women's division would be if they let Gedo book it.

Gonzo McFee posted:

The real sexism us that Stardom doesn't book men.

They booked Wagner Jr. last year and Suzuki the year before that!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Bushiroad is probably gonna do a Joshi promotion at some point but itd probably be it's own thing and given how talent rarely jumps in Japan I suspect it needs to start out with home grown talent

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 13, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think Bushiroad is probably gonna do a Joshi promotion at some point but itd probably Benoit's own thing and given how talent rarely jumps in Japan I suspect it needs to start out with home grown talent

Benoit???

There were rumours that Harold, SHO and YOH went to Stardom and Bushiroad dumping a bunch of money into Rossy's lap would be the worst possible outcome.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 13, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

What is this? What is this?!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

He's booking the mens singles divisions well. I think the tag team divisions and stuff like Taichi being the heel against Taguchi and Liger because he didn't want them molesting Miho Abe are pretty indicative of how bad a women's division would be if they let Gedo book it.

OK yeah to be fair I pretty much only watch the singles matches. So that's a fair point. But I do think it would be good for them to feature some women's matches on some level.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Benoit???

There were rumours that Harold, SHO and YOH went to Stardom and Bushiroad dumping a bunch of money into Rossy's lap would be the worst possible outcome.

Err...that was phone posting auto correct for the Benoit whoops

I dont see Rossy selling Stardom really.If Bushiroad does a Joshi fed it will probably have to be it's own thing

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Rarity posted:

This sounds a lot like 'women should be happy with whatever space men allow them rather than push for equal representation'.

So women should push for equal representation with their own companies instead of being happy with whatever space Gedo allows them?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
this is gonna be a good derail

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

coconono posted:

drat. Good for him to get out before he ended up with any even more serious injuries.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Web Jew.0 posted:

So women should push for equal representation with their own companies instead of being happy with whatever space Gedo allows them?

Look at the galaxy level brain on you, loving hell.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I dont think anyone opposes women on njpw cards. Its just people dont necessarily want Bushiroad raiding the womens scene so the 3 most popular women can trade wins for the iwgp womens title like how gedo books the junior tag title

Gedo is very good at some things and pretty bad at others. He can book compelling narratives that gets people invested in his top wrestlers. However, things he doesnt think are important get stuck on autopilot.

Like out of the 9 matches since roppongi 3k beat the bucks in February of last year for the junior tag titles only 1 has featured a team outside of roppongi 3k, suzuki-gun and LIJ and that was liger and tiger mask at kopw. There have been 3 three way matches featuring those teams.

Thats average booking at best but while the main event talent brings in bigger gates every year nobody cares. I just dont see how well women would get booked. Not that i oppose it. It would add something new to the cards

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hey everybody the OP of this thread bans any goon bad opinions and since all opinions are bad we cannot allow debate and/or discussion in this thread.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is there an actual "debate" about women in New Japan going on in, you know, actual Japan? Or is it just the same 8 white dudes yelling at each other on Twitter?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
You know the answer to that question already.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All Wrestling Is Debatable

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Benne posted:

Is there an actual "debate" about women in New Japan going on in, you know, actual Japan? Or is it just the same 8 white dudes yelling at each other on Twitter?

They want to expand to the west, they have to deal with western liberalism.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A women's promotion the size of NJPW would be great. I'd love to see them put their money into it. NJPW opening a women's division is a good idea on paper but the reality of it would probably suck and would just damage the existing Joshi scene.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/RowdyCMoore/status/1139329697278550018?s=19

Please ban non-Japanese people from this debate

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Also ban non-black people from talking about baseball, apparently

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WatermelonGun posted:

Also ban non-black people from talking about baseball, apparently

If that shuts up Curt Schilling I'm good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one way I could see "women in NJPW" happening would be an outright merger or permanent partnership with one of the Joshi promotions. Which, you know, could go well or could go wrong, depending on if that promotion had enough power in the relationship (meaning you wouldn't want a WWECW situation.)