Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Veev posted:

Like RDM has verholy and verflare replace verfire and veraero when it's ready so that's two less buttons. They don't have tether anymore, and impact is an aoe ability now so you don't have 2 buttons that do the same thing. Similarly Dragoons have one combo starter now. Any other jobs in specific?

Thanks! Yeah I was kind of interested in this but just across all jobs. I haven't played since around Stormblood release but I'm thinking about coming back and just interested in all the job changes. I've only played Dragoon, RDM, and AST so your post was helpful :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cabbit posted:

I've just learned that BLM theorycrafters have come up with a triple Despair opener. What a time to be alive.

What a coincidence, healers also have triple the despair.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Got my eastern Red Mage done. Couldn't find a suitable weapon so I just kept the artifact.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I've just learned that BLM theorycrafters have come up with a triple Despair opener. What a time to be alive.

is it more than just replacing flare and which thunder you use in the aoe triple flare opener?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

CYBEReris posted:

is it more than just replacing flare and which thunder you use in the aoe triple flare opener?

I don't actually know what the AOE opener is and I can't find it in any of the guides, but looking at this I'm gonna say "maybe?". Here's what they've got:

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

Radioactive Toy posted:

Thanks! Yeah I was kind of interested in this but just across all jobs. I haven't played since around Stormblood release but I'm thinking about coming back and just interested in all the job changes. I've only played Dragoon, RDM, and AST so your post was helpful :)

Best thing to do is YouTube search the job and shadowbringers and there’s loads of short videos detailing all their changes from the media tour. RDM also gets a new nuke to use after holy/flare and it replaces jolt so it’s not taking up a new slot either. Wish they had given BLM some of the same treatment, it’s a fair enough of buttons now to have within easy access.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Trailer secrets:
Hydaelyn is indeed a primal, but created out of the pure administrative accumen of Tataru.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cabbit posted:

I don't actually know what the AOE opener is and I can't find it in any of the guides, but looking at this I'm gonna say "maybe?". Here's what they've got:

This seems to assume that umbral hearts cut Despair's mana cost the same way they do Flare's, but the previewed tooltips still only mentioned Flare as to what spells get their cost cut by a third in addition to not suffering an AF-based cost increase. Of course, the tooltips could have themselves been wrong but we might not want to get ahead of ourselves here.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Got my eastern Red Mage done. Couldn't find a suitable weapon so I just kept the artifact.

Ala Mhigan rapier, the 315 or w/e weapon.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ferrinus posted:

This seems to assume that umbral hearts cut Despair's mana cost the same way they do Flare's, but the previewed tooltips still only mentioned Flare as to what spells get their cost cut by a third in addition to not suffering an AF-based cost increase. Of course, the tooltips could have themselves been wrong but we might not want to get ahead of ourselves here.

There's video confirmation from the media event that Umbral Hearts affect Despair, so it's all good.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Fortunately, Rowena has already expanded her empire all over the shards.

The best competition one could ask for.

Rowena (first shard) vs. Rowena (source)

Someone make an edit of Thanos saying he's inevitable but it's rowena with a glove full of tomestones.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Oh dear, I just watched some videos on the changes for PLD and DRK and now my stalwart decision to continue WARing it up has been shaken.

I'm just going to pretend the Squall class doesn't exist, 'cause it's probably awesome.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Mister No posted:

Oh dear, I just watched some videos on the changes for PLD and DRK and now my stalwart decision to continue WARing it up has been shaken.

I'm just going to pretend the Squall class doesn't exist, 'cause it's probably awesome.

If it makes you feel better, since your tank stance is going away, the rumor is WAR is going to get something like a flat 15-25k extra HP to make up for it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im assuming there'll be numbers adjsutments because gunbreaker is currently pretty far behind the other tanks dps wise

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Does the "Path to 60" buff go away once I get a single job to 60?

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi

queeb posted:

im assuming there'll be numbers adjsutments because gunbreaker is currently pretty far behind the other tanks dps wise

It's ok they make up for it by being "cool as hell"

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I mean a good place to start for breaker is gnashing fangs continuation potency, they seem really low for what it is.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Does the "Path to 60" buff go away once I get a single job to 60?

No, you'll still have it for other sub-60 jobs. I think it even works for crafters and gatherers, but I'm not entirely sure.

It's a really good buff.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Zoig posted:

I mean a good place to start for breaker is gnashing fangs continuation potency, they seem really low for what it is.

The ST dot seems like the absolute worst offender, but yeah Gnashing Fang gaining some would probably be good.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Zack Ater posted:

I think it even works for crafters and gatherers, but I'm not entirely sure.

It does. It's stupid good.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Praetorium with four sprouts that were all wowfugees. drat. It feels pretty rare that there's a new player in a MSQ roulette, let alone multiple. This game's really popping off lately in my anecdotal experience.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Jimbot posted:

I would recommend the Mendacity weapon Shishio, which can be augmented to be dyeable. It's slightly curved at the tip and the crystal is a little lion thing, I think. Definitely eastern-inspired.

keirharder posted:

There’s an Allagan node shown in the video from the media tour exploring the crystarium which I’m guessing will have something to do with Rowena?

I have to wonder if that's a placeholder model in the development build to prevent a story spoiler.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Minrad posted:

Praetorium with four sprouts that were all wowfugees. drat. It feels pretty rare that there's a new player in a MSQ roulette, let alone multiple. This game's really popping off lately in my anecdotal experience.

Also anecdotal for the past month or two I've been seeing a lot of YouTube videos concerning WoW refugees coming to FFXIV (either testimonies or tips) in my recommendations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

queeb posted:

There were some number changes in the E3 Titania build I think

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Radioactive Toy posted:

Is there a summary somewhere of the quality of life changes for jobs? I've only been able to find info about the machinist rework but not much else, though I've seen people talk about things like rdm losing an unnecessary ability.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkVi8X_8kdd5cDkZtvd5ZGnKM8bAj1mww

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Magil Zeal posted:

Also anecdotal for the past month or two I've been seeing a lot of YouTube videos concerning WoW refugees coming to FFXIV (either testimonies or tips) in my recommendations.

I've seen this bunch as well.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Minrad posted:

I don’t know if this is from their new server jumping thing, but I’m also surprised I’m getting queues on Excal during the evenings. You’d think this would be when realm pops are the lowest and it’s still a queue, so either a good sign for the health of the game or something else.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
How can you tell someone is a WoW refugee? Doubt they get a custom title for it, so is it just the new way to refer to sprouts/people messing up mechanics?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

We're pretty much in the rush period following the lull, where in addition to new players joining in anticipation of the expansion people are trying to catch up on leveling and gearing whatever alt jobs they might want to try in Shadowbringers.

I had a Marauder tank in Sastasha who didn't know how to pull with tomahawk or overpower and was thankful it was in an easy dungeon where that was annoying but never a critical issue

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 13, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ort posted:

I don’t know if this is from their new server jumping thing, but I’m also surprised I’m getting queues on Excal during the evenings. You’d think this would be when realm pops are the lowest and it’s still a queue, so either a good sign for the health of the game or something else.

The NA server survey that was done a few months ago showed fairly solid growth across all three data centers, which is surprising in a pre-expansion lull. I don't think the game's seeing exponential growth or that everyone in WoW is jumping ship, but it's definitely getting a boost from BfA's poor performance and the steady course that SE's kept over the past 6 years.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Greader posted:

How can you tell someone is a WoW refugee? Doubt they get a custom title for it, so is it just the new way to refer to sprouts/people messing up mechanics?

It would be funny if FFXIV revamped the new player experience so they have a character, in game, ask you whether you come from another world. A world of warcraft, and tailor it to that. In the end you get a title or something

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Greader posted:

Presumably they mention it in chat.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Greader posted:

they'll tell you

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

e: ^ lol

I'm a wowfugee myself, just coming up to Tidus Titan in the MSQ, and I'm seeing one or two other sprouts in most of my roulettes on Omega. I'm parcelling out the MSQ experience among paladin, monk and summoner, plus doing crafting guildleves, hunting logs, sidequests etc., so levelling is slooow and I've had a decent sample size.

(I'm really liking the game so far, by the way. The job system is great, and besides being fun as hell totally solves the ongoing conflict in WoW over how fast experience should be given to low-level players: Rather than giving out lots of experience and making the levelling experience incoherent, or giving out hardly any experience and making it awful to level alts, FFXIV just gives out lots of experience and says you can use it to level multiple classes if you want to. Speaking of which, having a coherent storyline while levelling rather than jumping randomly from zone to zone and doing maybe the first couple of zones of each expansion is also great. The crafting system is great. Having a rotation that actually changes as I level is great. Having level syncing in instances so they never get totally trivialised is great. The glamour system is great. I've only had positive interactions with the other players. And the endgame looks good too, with no titanforging and a really nice raid loot incentive system that encourages a middle tier of PUG between learning groups that are doomed to wipe and farming groups that require high ilvl and good Raider.IO scores.)

e: Oh, and an auction house that actually works without spending ten seconds loading each page of ten results. Complete with dicks who've used an add-on to split their one stack of 99 bear asses into 99 stacks of 1 bear rear end and then batch-sold, so you need to either buy stuff bear rear end by individual bear rear end or spend literal minutes paging past all the time-wasters. (I suspect avoiding this is why FFXIV only lets you auction 40 items at once...)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 13, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
WoW as a new major patch coming out soon(probably around the same time Shadowbringers drops) and I realized one of the only things I was looking forward to in it was being able to grind out new reps so I'd be allowed to fly again.

Made it real easy to stick with FFXIV.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I sometimes worry I'm in some sort of "FFXIV bubble" because I enjoy the game so much, but then I hear horror stories from WoW vets and I feel better about my decision.

e: I'd be curious to hear about the highs and lows of WoW over the years. I'd like to know what they've done in contrast to FFXIV to cause so much subscriber loss.

It's almost mind boggling to think about how FFXIV started out as a total mess and now it's so successful.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 13, 2019

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Looking to get back into this after a 2~ year hiatus from around when Omega was new. What's the current fastest cool kids way to level up alternate jobs?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I sometimes worry I'm in some sort of "FFXIV bubble" because I enjoy the game so much, but then I hear horror stories from WoW vets and I feel better about my decision.

e: I'd be curious to hear about the highs and lows of WoW over the years. I'd like to know what they've done in contrast to FFXIV to cause so much subscriber loss.

It's almost mind boggling to think about how FFXIV started out as a total mess and now it's so successful.

The new WoW expansion hasn't been great. The new zones were really cool but the story has been awful, the gear progession is all messed up with the Azerite Traits which is weird because they had a good system figured out with the artifact weapons, and the devs until recently were really digging in their heels.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My main complaints with wow right now are the story, and the endgame activities.

Raiding isn't fun and they removed class sets so there's not even the vanity reason to play. M+ was balls hard at release and took forever, compared to legion where even the longest dungeon took maybe half an hour. Now the timers are basically assuming you have a rogue and invisibility potions to skip pulls, and also have lots of CC.
What's that? Your class doesn't have cc? Sucks to be you.

And they've leaned hard into "faction war" as a story which has mostly amounted to "One faction is openly evil, gets multiple victories. Other faction isn't explicitly good, only gets symbolic victories, if that. Actual big bad gloats about how stupid we are and should be working together against them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

DizzyBum posted:

In addition to the above - WoW's combat is much snappier and more responsive, like meleeing targets on the move is far more reliable than in FFXIV and interrupts happen as soon as you hit the button (instead of there being a slight delay due to animation). Legion was pretty good overall but the latest expansion hasn't been great post-launch. The new world PvP flagging system is a good idea with decent rewards, and it's 100% opt-in, but the PvE side has struggled. Encounter designs have been fun. Loot hasn't been. The lore got weird (in a good way) for a minute with some of the leveling zones. That's tapered off due to the writers' obsession with bad characters (Nathanos in particular). Also, for folks looking for a bit of escapism, an inherently adversarial game in a phase that has re-emphasized conflict between players of different factions isn't a great idea right now.

The upcoming patch should address some problems, especially w/r/t itemization. I still vastly prefer FFXIV.