Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

SardonicTyrant posted:

God forgive me, i've been inspired by cspam. Imagine a cult that worships a monitor with an ever-changing number displayed on it. The cult believes it signifies the Emperor's current favor and they spend their time trying to divine how to make the number increase.

I'm thinking it's part of a hive's maintenance logs, but after a purge by the Inquisition, no one alive knows what it refers to.

If you want to keep it cspam, make it basically an ancient social media algorithm/bot that was buried in the hive's mainframe from pre-Imperium times

Or you can make it a surviving version of TempleOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

It says here, and mind you this is a rough translation, that this is some sort of "hip hop operating system"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

How's this idea? The party is accused of making The Number go down, and they have to prove that it wasn't them.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Today I discovered that merging myself with the genetic sample of a Malanthrope does not, in fact, make my tasks as a Magos Biologis easier."

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

chin up everything sucks posted:

"Today I discovered that merging myself with the genetic sample of a Malanthrope does not, in fact, make my tasks as a Magos Biologis easier."

I have played roughly that character.

Somehow she was the party's moral compass.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
A doom house!?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SardonicTyrant posted:

How's this idea? The party is accused of making The Number go down, and they have to prove that it wasn't them.

the twist being, of course, that most of the Imperium operates on a direct command economy, and the mere existence of a stock market on a particular world is clear evidence of change- or excess-style chaos cultists in the very highest echelons of planetary power

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 26, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

the mere existence of a stock market on a particular world is clear evidence of change- or excess-style chaos cultists in the very highest echelons of planetary power

So like real life, huh?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

the twist being, of course, that most of the Imperium operates on a direct command economy, and the mere existence of a stock market on a particular world is clear evidence of change- or excess-style chaos cultists in the very highest echelons of planetary power

So Big Pharma is nothing but Genestealers all the way down?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JcDent posted:

So like real life, huh?

CobiWann posted:

:hai:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So there's this scene in the movie Phantom of the Paradise where the main character goes to prison and they replace his teeth with metal implants because it's cheaper than maintaining real ones. It's pretty grimdark, but it strikes me as almost too noblebright for 40k because they wouldn't give a poo poo about your teeth in a penal world.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Even Imperial soldiers often only get crude cybernetics if they're permanently injured fighting for the Imperium. In the novel Double Eagle an Imperial fighter pilot loses his hand when his plane is damaged fighting a massive Chaos invasion. He gets a prosthetic that wouldn't be out-of-place on someone these days, and is reassigned to drive trucks instead.

A convict wouldn't get jack poo poo beyond a serious recommendation to get someone else to chew his food for him once the pain becomes unbearable.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 29, 2019

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

SardonicTyrant posted:

So there's this scene in the movie Phantom of the Paradise where the main character goes to prison and they replace his teeth with metal implants because it's cheaper than maintaining real ones. It's pretty grimdark, but it strikes me as almost too noblebright for 40k because they wouldn't give a poo poo about your teeth in a penal world.

That's pretty much what some people used to do historically anyway, for slightly different reasons. People would have all their teeth pulled and get dentures rather than endure the pain and risks of emergency dentistry.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I was thinking of including a Dark Eldar cabal. Their leader Olar Cantic owns an orbital bazaar beyond human space. Unusually, they promise safe passage to whoever possesses one of their tokens (and only the bearer; known associates are free game). I'm just trying to figure out some sinister angle to it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, don't give them one. The players will go insane trying to work out what it is (because there must be one) and you can build on whatever accusations they start throwing around. Maybe they'll come up with something that's cool enough to just run with, maybe they'll confront a powerful individual in front of their peers and cause a diplomatic incident.

Otherwise, cloning of token holders. The tokens are physical things and secret dna/behavioural data harvesters. The whole shebang is a front for an ongoing series of long cons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Nah, don't give them one. The players will go insane trying to work out what it is (because there must be one) and you can build on whatever accusations they start throwing around. Maybe they'll come up with something that's cool enough to just run with

Do this in-character. The eldar leade enjoys listening to the speculation about what he's really up to, and sometimes the ingenious mon-keigh come up with something he'd never have thought of himself! Which he promptly starts doing.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Agreed on the penal world who gives a gently caress, but on the flip side (and I liked to play around with this when I ran Necromunda RPG campaigns), cybernetics is so ubiquitous and possibly so automated a process that it could have just been a button press to have a pair of three hundred year old medicae servitors sitting around to tear off your lower jaw and give you the technical equivalent of a pair of horseshoes as a mouth. Like *we* think of cybernetics as some advanced future thing, but in 40k it’s 10,000 year old technology and basic systems can be that - basic or even “fun” horrific.

Re: Druhkari - TOTALLY let your players fill in the gaps for whatever dark nefarious thing they’re doing. I tried to introduce some exodites/corsairs to a campaign once and the players midway through the introductory description just jumped into this deep dark-eldar soul harvesting conspiracy/i dont even remember style conspiracy that was profoundly more interesting than my “These are Eldar that ride dinosaurs and kinda want to be left alone” notes. So I just... rolled with that.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

goatface posted:

Nah, don't give them one. The players will go insane trying to work out what it is (because there must be one) and you can build on whatever accusations they start throwing around. Maybe they'll come up with something that's cool enough to just run with, maybe they'll confront a powerful individual in front of their peers and cause a diplomatic incident.

Otherwise, cloning of token holders. The tokens are physical things and secret dna/behavioural data harvesters. The whole shebang is a front for an ongoing series of long cons.

I'm doing something similar in one of my games where I have the players against a cult vague enough to be genestealers, chaos, or a non-chaos secret society and while I do have an idea for which of the three it is, one player's theory has been so good I've almost stolen it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I have a possibly dumb question (from playing the WFRP4e starter):
In melee, does it even matter what the defender rolls if the attacker rolls over his skill?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CobiWann posted:

That's actually canon, according to the newest Genestealer Cults codex.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

JcDent posted:

I have a possibly dumb question (from playing the WFRP4e starter):
In melee, does it even matter what the defender rolls if the attacker rolls over his skill?

Yep. You're comparing degrees of success to determine damage, plus there's a non-zero chance that the defender either crits or fumbles.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, as an attacker, you deal damage even if you fail, as long as the defender failed harder?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yeah, it's an opposed check. The only time damage isn't traded is if the defender wins and they are using dodge or a different counts-as skill.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You'll have a better, more consistent experience if you at least pencil in the Drukhari's initial motivation. It doesn't have to be good, and never reveal it, but NPCs in general come off as more "authentic" if they're working towards a goal rather than just going through the motions of a goal-having person.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SardonicTyrant posted:

True, but worlds are as different as you want them to be. Maybe the penal worlds has existed for so long that several work camps are their own socities, complete with a bone carver who's the grandson of a heretek who knew the appropriate appeasement ritual for how to screw the possessed teeth of dead techpriests into your jaw and have them (mostly) cooperate.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thrice blessed autochompers of Mars.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think I worked out how the black salt works. Here's my idea

Consuming the salt has two immediate effects: The user experiences vivid hallucinations, and they start flaking off more black salt, although it's less potent than what's consumed. It also seems to nullify and is rendered inert by warp energy. The truth is the hallucinations the salt provides are not actually hallucinations, but glimpses into alternate realities. The two sources of the salt are seemingly random deposits found across the Koronus Expanse, and deliberately drugging people and harvesting salt from them. OD'ing is rare, both because of the rarity and expense of the salt, and also because OD'ing turns a person into what the cartels call a Null ; they become a sort of human shaped hole in space, slowly drawing in everything nearby, and when they walk pure black salt is formed.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I was thinking the in-game effect of the salt would provide an extra die for combat. Something to hook the players on using it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Player who reads this thread, avert thine gaze! Is there a term, name, or title for the Imperial Guard troops that the inquisition uses? I want to eventually have my Only War players become them, so I'd like to know some cool names for those kinds of forces. Cannon or made up, just lay it on me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Player who reads this thread, avert thine gaze! Is there a term, name, or title for the Imperial Guard troops that the inquisition uses? I want to eventually have my Only War players become them, so I'd like to know some cool names for those kinds of forces. Cannon or made up, just lay it on me.

The Inquisition explicitly DON'T have Imperial Guard divisions; the religious orders were forbidden from keeping Men Under Arms. They still have their militaries though, Malleus have the Grey Knights, the Xenos have the Deathwatch, and the Hereticus have the Ecclesiarchy generally and more specifically the Sisters of Battle, getting around the restriction of not havign Men Under Arm by having Women (herf derf), and there are various other religious types, fanatics, preists, death cults, assassin temples, plus the arbites, the Silent Sisters, and so forth. But unfortunately, there aren't generally human military orders attached to the Inquisition, other than the Sisters of Battle. Inquisitors have some requisitionary power, depending on the nature of the threat, but mostly operate in small, self-made warbands, which would usually, though definitely not always, know who they're working for.

Of course, that's not to say your game can't have an Inquisition military, it's a big universe. but there's not an existing canon to call on per se.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I seem to recall references to Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, which I had always assumed were just regular storm troopers with fancy =][= badges on their helmets permanently seconded to the Inquisition.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

The Inquisition explicitly DON'T have Imperial Guard divisions; the religious orders were forbidden from keeping Men Under Arms.

You're confusing them with the Ecclesiarchy. Which is understandable given how the Ordo Hereticus leans heavily on the Ecclesiarchy for troops. (Similar to how Ordo Xenos recruits marines.) But the Inquisition has blanket access to leverage any of mankind's resources against its foes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I see. I'm running this only war game, but the "main" 40k GM in our group has a long running mulit campaign Dark Heresy game, and I'd like to eventually Have these soldiers become the faceless muscle of that inquisitor. Only, you know, instead of faceless goons it would be a fleshed out company of soldiers that the players have all gotten to know through this band of brothers type game. Just a neat way to bridge the two games and build out the setting.

That GM definitely has guardsmen analogues hanging out at inquisition HQ, maybe he made that up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

moths posted:

You're confusing them with the Ecclesiarchy. Which is understandable given how the Ordo Hereticus leans heavily on the Ecclesiarchy for troops. (Similar to how Ordo Xenos recruits marines.) But the Inquisition has blanket access to leverage any of mankind's resources against its foes.

My recollection is that they still don't maintain standing armies other than the Grey Knights and Deathwatch, rather that they just requisition what they need and mostly keep to themselves otherwise. But either way, it's still a big galaxy and there's plenty of room to write whatever works best for the campaign.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Inquisition isn't really an organization. There are inquisitors, and in some places they might have some sort of organization and infrastructure but it's not formalized in the same way the Ecclosiarchy are. This means if you want an Inquisitor to do something or establish some kind of infrastructure you can go for it and not worry about canon.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, so. I guess all I need now is grimdark name suggestions for an elite unit that does hot drops, infiltration, long range reconnaissance, and other special forces type things.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

My recollection is that they still don't maintain standing armies other than the Grey Knights and Deathwatch, rather that they just requisition what they need and mostly keep to themselves otherwise. But either way, it's still a big galaxy and there's plenty of room to write whatever works best for the campaign.

This is mostly due to the nature of their work, given that they'd have to execute / mindwipe most of it per the fluff around when they were written.

Better to rent than own in that case.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, so. I guess all I need now is grimdark name suggestions for an elite unit that does hot drops, infiltration, long range reconnaissance, and other special forces type things.

Elysian drop troopers? This is basically their thing.

Also, inquisitors can just claim a regiment if they need one. They often don't give things back, either because they end up broken after use or show themselves to be more useful in the inquisitor's hands.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah. in a lot of cases, especially with ordo Malleus involved, the regiments used are murdered afterwards if they don't die during, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

There is specifically no official (as in, approved by the Emperor or someone close to him) organization to the Inquisition. It's all based on decorum and respect to any local structure.