Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Straight White Shark posted:

a contradiction in terms, by definition all goons have wasted :10bux:

ACTUALLY if you're old enough, becoming a goon was free.

So, pretty good analogy with the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Regy Rusty posted:

then... why...
Let's just say I didn't think that post through. The vault robbery plan of my bad posts.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

the goon that wasted money and the goons that have not. HEEEEYO

Speaking of wasting money - bought the sweatshirt. Not sure if I'll ever actually wear it

EDIT - there's another sweatshirt on eBay autographed by Jameela Jamil for $29.99 :cry:

Exodor fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 12, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kaedric posted:

ACTUALLY if you're old enough, becoming a goon was free.

So, pretty good analogy with the show.

Then you spend all that saved money on Star Trek Online and realise that this really is the bad place.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Taear posted:

Then you spend all that saved money on Star Trek Online and realise that this really is the bad place.

Any place with Funko Pops is clearly the bad place.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Exodor posted:

Speaking of wasting money - bought the sweatshirt. Not sure if I'll ever actually wear it

EDIT - there's another sweatshirt on eBay autographed by Jameela Jamil for $29.99 :cry:
Yessssss :w00t:

Make sure to post photos, and congrats!

(Also I hope you made an offer and didn’t pay full price)

Edit: $35 I can swing, bought that signed shirt, thanks!

pwn fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 12, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Seems a some corners of the net are mad about the show ending next season.
would I have liked 5 seasons for them to have slightly more time? Likely. Am I happy they know up from they have 1 season left and we always knew they had 4-5ish seasons planned out from the start? yup.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zedd posted:

Seems a some corners of the net are mad about the show ending next season.
would I have liked 5 seasons for them to have slightly more time? Likely. Am I happy they know up from they have 1 season left and we always knew they had 4-5ish seasons planned out from the start? yup.

Some people get mad that a thing they like ends, regardless of how good and/or satisfying the ending actually is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Exodor posted:

drat it!!! I would have bought that! Congrats!!!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Re-watching season 1 until season 3 comes out on hulu or netflix. I never noticed before, but Elanor and Chidi's dynamic is really really cute.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SardonicTyrant posted:

I never noticed before, but Elanor and Chidi's dynamic is really really cute.
That's...

that's like

that's like a full one third of the show :psyduck:

"Just started my rewatch of The Good Place, never noticed before but Ted Danson is acting like, twice, in this televisions."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Upon rewatch, I realized that this is actually a comedy.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Hey guys I'm nearing the end of my rewatch and I have a theory that they're actually in the Bad Place, what do you all think??

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

oopsie rock posted:

Hey guys I'm nearing the end of my rewatch and I have a theory that they're actually in the Bad Place, what do you all think??

seems like a stretch

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Upon rewatch, I realized that this is actually a comedy.
bullshit gently caress you am i gunna have to rewatch this whole poo poo again to check your wild allegation

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Did anyone else listen to the TGP The Podcast episode yet? I need to see that S3 gag reel with all the mother forking shirtballs I can muster.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

The show is the good place, this thread is the bad place.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Whalley posted:

bullshit gently caress you am i gunna have to rewatch this whole poo poo again to check your wild allegation

extremely A+ avatar

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sept. 26 is the premiere of the final season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Argue posted:

Buried among Michael's lies in season 1 was the probably true fact that you needed an insane amount of points to get in, and that even a lot of people you'd think would get in, didn't. Of course, we know now there are bigger reasons for that, but those factoids he dropped on Eleanor could easily have been rooted in the truth, that the point requirement is unreasonably high.

And here's Schur on the matter:

Ugh, the system was abhorrent even before it totally broke. So getting tortured forever for not actively doing enough good if you lived a quiet life by yourself and did no harm to anyone was the intended expected outcome.

But then that fits in with the fact that unintentional bad you didn't know about counts against you, but good without pure motivation doesn't count for you. The whole thing has always been stacked for maximising torture.

Burn this mother to the ground. Throw Gen into the bad place, the complicit monster.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 18, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hell, tear away the whole idea thus is an afterlife. Why the gently caress should this be 'after' life? This should be the true human civilisation, a hundred billion people living in a post-scarcity infinite world with powers beyond comprehension where time bends and turns! This is the land for philosopher kings, creativity and art beyond measure! Our time on earth should be nothing but childhood, an embryonic phase before we ascend to join the real humanity!

STORM AND CONQUER HEAVEN AND BUILD OUR KINGDOM ON THE RUINS

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 18, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MikeJF posted:

Hell, tear away the whole idea thus is an afterlife. Why the gently caress should this be 'after' life? This should be the true human civilisation, a hundred billion people living in a post-scarcity infinite world with powers beyond comprehension where time bends and turns! This is the land for philosopher kings, creativity and art beyond measure! Our time on earth should be nothing but childhood, an embryonic phase before we ascend to join the real humanity!

You feeling all right, mate?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rarity posted:

You feeling all right, mate?

Eh, so so. Long day, pretty tired.

pwn
May 27, 2004

By the way, there’s a new podcast up. It’s the For Your Consideration Emmys panel from Friday the 7th.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Hear hear!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MikeJF posted:

Rip and tear!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

MikeJF posted:

Somebody's been reading K6BD...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

Somebody's been reading K6BD...

I mean yeah a little bit.

I do genuinely think though when watching the show that there's no good reason that the state of existence of the good place should be treated as an afterlife, instead of just the next stage of the human lifecycle. It made sense back when they thought that humans in the good place couldn't change and grow, but now we know they can it should be a grand civilization instead of a forced retirement village. This whole current concept seems like it's been been very artificially enforced on it by the various beings with power.

Ah well, at the rate Janet's going she'll be probably be able to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up by the end of it, so let's see where it goes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 18, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Down with Janet becoming god tbh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Now I’m thinking of The City of the Saved from Doctor Who spin-off, Faction Paradox. A mindshatteringly giant city (roughly galaxy-sized) held in a space just after the Big Crunch that contains the resurrected forms of everyone who ever lived.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

silvergoose posted:

Down with Janet becoming god tbh

She's already gone Rampant so might as well!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MikeJF posted:

I mean yeah a little bit.

I do genuinely think though when watching the show that there's no good reason that the state of existence of the good place should be treated as an afterlife, instead of just the next stage of the human lifecycle. It made sense back when they thought that humans in the good place couldn't change and grow, but now we know they can it should be a grand civilization instead of a forced retirement village. This whole current concept seems like it's been been very artificially enforced on it by the various beings with power.

Ah well, at the rate Janet's going she'll be probably be able to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up by the end of it, so let's see where it goes.

The "eternal punishment for temporary sins" problem is an aspect of the broader paradox that, going by the literal understanding of an eternal afterlife, you have a finite life which represents an insigificant part of your infinite existence, and so the weight your mortal life should have on your afterlife risks falling into either:

-The disproportionate payoff presented on the show, where finite action = infinitely long consequences, your life casting this impossibly huge shadow over the rest of your "true" existence,
or
-The perspective Michael's advocating for, where there's always an eternally valid opportunity to grow and change, which raises the question of what meaningful distinction there is between life and afterlife to begin with. You could even come to the perverse conclusion that :matters: as far as the morality of your present life is concerned since, hey, you'll always have time to redeem yourself later, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Now I’m thinking of The City of the Saved from Doctor Who spin-off, Faction Paradox. A mindshatteringly giant city (roughly galaxy-sized) held in a space just after the Big Crunch that contains the resurrected forms of everyone who ever lived.

I wonder if they were borrowing a bit when they came up with Testimony in the last Doctor Who christmas special.

Which incidentally I loved so much. Humanity getting on a few billion years, going 'well, there doesn't seem to be an afterlife, so gently caress it, we'll use time travel and mind-scanning tech and retroactively make one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 18, 2019

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Finally got my hands on this:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Given how easily they move between realms it would be hilarious if season 4 revealed that there really was no afterlife - what we have seen are Midgard, Asgard and Helheim. They realise it when they accidentally end up in Alfheim and even the Good Place people get annoyed by the elves. It's secret norse mythology.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Someone in this thread pimped Superstore and it's great and I've nearly burned my way through it. So what else is good and irreverent and a bit weird?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

superLINUS posted:

Someone in this thread pimped Superstore and it's great and I've nearly burned my way through it. So what else is good and irreverent and a bit weird?

Happy Endings, cancelled show from a few years back.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

superLINUS posted:

I wouldn't recommend this one personally. I dropped it in the middle of the latest season because I realized that I hated pretty much every character and didn't enjoy watching any of them. They're all kinda poo poo people, but aren't written in a fun way.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

superLINUS posted:

So what else is good and irreverent and a bit weird?

May not be to everyone's tastes but you could give Lodge 49 a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

I liked AP Bio, but now that season 1’s expired from Hulu, you’d have to watch it on (irk) the NBC app