Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Blue Star Error posted:

I'm going to be a pedant and point out Nick Powell came from Crewe who were a League 2 side at the time and Alli was from MK Dons who were League 1. Also Maddison is better than pretty good but other than that, spot on.

Understatement for effect, both of their first seasons were dynamite.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't bring them to mind. Joe Gomez from Charlton maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
There are loads that went Championship -> bottom half / mid table clubs and succeeded but I too am struggling to think of any who went straight to a big club. Dan James this window but we don't know how well he'll do (he will do well).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/Daniel_James_97/status/1138812620889366532

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Well done he’s 13

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/SwansOfficial/status/1138810225702645760

Bit emotional tbh. First saw him play when he was 16 or 17 playing for (I think) the u21s. Always had high ratings from me in my FM data. Never quite a Man Utd wonderkid but I guess we'll see.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Really weird if de Ligt goes to PSG. Their league is a joke, and PSG are perennial losers in all competitions that matter. Surely they're not paying THAT much more than Barca would, so why go to what is clearly a much lesser club?
Same answer as always.
https://twitter.com/360Sources/status/1138713362907488256
Money.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Ryan Sessegnon has got the potential to be a world class player, but not as a fullback. His instinct in the penalty area is honestly some of best I've ever seen, at any level. That old "you can't teach it" stuff. I think he probably just ended up playing on the left because he's left footed, but his talent is up the front, maybe as a number 10. I certainly wouldn't judge him based on our shithouse of a season last year, there's nothing to be learnt from that.

I'm a bit disappointed we haven't really played Steven, since he looked superb at the U17 world cup a couple of years ago. They'll end up moving together, and hopefully wherever it is they both get a decent shout.

I just wish we didn't always sell our good players to Spurs.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
West Ham have apparently wrapped up a deal for Pablo Fornals for Villarreal for 25 million. Can't say I've heard much about him but since la Liga Twitter types seem to like him and said he's a better option than Andre Gomes (who we were also in for). Didn't have a great season last year due to being pushed out wide. Which is lucky seeing as West Ham appear to be a team of nothing but wingers right now

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ahahahaha how the gently caress are these bent fuckers not getting done for FFP violations left, right and center?

Of course I know the answer:

Bundy posted:

Same answer as always.

Money.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Ahahahaha how the gently caress are these bent fuckers not getting done for FFP violations left, right and center?

Of course I know the answer:

UEFA can't even do corruption right, they should have had the hammer brought down for being too close to The Old Regime

in any case it'll be funny as hell to watch them spend all that money and find out Thiago Silva can't play with him because he doesn't speak Portuguese

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ferland Mendy to Real is official. Reported in the €50m range.

https://twitter.com/realmadrid/status/1138877220339048453

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jason Sextro posted:

in any case it'll be funny as hell to watch them spend all that money and find out Thiago Silva can't play with him because he doesn't speak Portuguese

As far as I know Nesta didn't speak any Portuguese and the two of them were an absolute wall. I guess that was a long time ago.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Also Barca ended up pulling the trigger on Griezmann anyways.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1138883699989209088

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Diva Cupcake posted:

Also Barca ended up pulling the trigger on Griezmann anyways.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1138883699989209088

One presumes he will inherit ickle Phil's role as the scapegoat

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Well done he’s 13

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Ferland Mendy to Real is official. Reported in the €50m range.

https://twitter.com/realmadrid/status/1138877220339048453
Madrid are going to break every FPP rule there is and face absolutely no consequences for it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

€50m is like no money in this market

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Vegetable posted:

50m is like no money in this market

Its no money in terms the transfer market, but it's still a lot in terms of teams having to generate revenue to cover for transfer expenses

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Vegetable posted:

€50m is like no money in this market

It’s the 250 spent before that

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Empoli's owner is still pretty close with Sarri, and he said in an interview today that Chelsea have decided to not release Sarri to Juventus without compensation. It looks like Juve are going to have to pay his release clause, or work out some other sort of exchange. But Chelsea can't register any new players, so I dunno if a player exchange is likely.

He also confirmed that Empoli are selling 2 more of their best young players, Krunic to Milan should be done tomorrow and Traore to Juve should be done in the coming days. This is after they sold Di Lorenzo to Napoli last week, and are probably going to lose Bennacer to Napoli (or Arsenal, if they exercise their buyback option). And their keeper Dragowski, who was probably the best pure shot stopper in the league, was only there on loan.

Basically what I'm saying is RIP Empoli's chances of coming back to Serie A.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Eh, Empoli have a good academy and the drop in quality between A and B is very high. Let’s remember that they were only in a relegation fight because if some serious late season performances and the likes of Fiorentina and Genoa becoming absolute poo poo. Otherwise they would’ve been relegated with weeks to go.

The money will be good for them and they’ll invest well I think.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

As far as I know Nesta didn't speak any Portuguese and the two of them were an absolute wall. I guess that was a long time ago.

Things may have been different at Milan. It's been said for years that QSI has given Silva a great deal of input on transfers. Layvin Kurzawa and Lucas Digne might not be the best left-backs in the world (or necessarily even close) but they played Maxwell at left-back for years when he wasn't even the best on the team. They kept Thomas Meunier on the bench a lot this year to give Dani Alves time instead. I've heard that Silva is the one who pushed for the David Luiz transfer too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why would Thiago Silva have so much power over transfers. He’s not even, like, a Neymar

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Why would Thiago Silva have so much power over transfers. He’s not even, like, a Neymar

In his prime he was possibly the best centre-back in the world, but that doesn't entitle one to have say on transfers

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Apparently Villa have signed some Brazilian striker called Wesley Moraes for £22m.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It is amazing to me that the Glazers are letting Woodward still be in charge of transfers. You'd think that even they would've figured out that he's just spunking massive amounts of cash on players who are poo poo, not what United need, past it, or all three.

I get it that making United champions isn't a priority for them, but surely even they would prefer someone who would spend less money on useless poo poo that just sticks around on the payroll for years.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
So what are all of you Utd folks thinking about Lukaku leaving? Seems like he never really established himself, yeah?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

So what are all of you Utd folks thinking about Lukaku leaving? Seems like he never really established himself, yeah?

He pretty clearly doesn't fit into the system that Solskjaer wants to play and while he has a good goalscoring record he's always been a bit of a flat track bully.

United would need to sign someone to replace him unless Ole sees something in one of the youth team players but I'm not all that bothered about Lukaku leaving especially if he's not staying in England.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Lukaku we bought from Everton would have been great under Ole's system imo, the big lumbering oaf Mourinho turned him into in an attempt to recreate Drogba The Second, not so much.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Shrapnig posted:

He pretty clearly doesn't fit into the system that Solskjaer wants to play
He’ll be gone before Christmas anyway.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Xabi posted:

He’ll be gone before Christmas anyway.

Yes, we're discussing Lukaku leaving in the summer window which is well before Christmas.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bundy posted:

The Lukaku we bought from Everton would have been great under Ole's system imo, the big lumbering oaf Mourinho turned him into in an attempt to recreate Drogba The Second, not so much.

Was that Mourinho or was that the Belgium national team telling Lukaku to start taking all that creatine?

I thought the whole hype around Lukaku was that he looked like he was going to be another Drogba.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey good news everybody, United are preparing an improved contract for De Gea.

Well at least they didn't leave it far too late and let the uncertainty gently caress up half of their season and drop them out of the Champions League or anything.

loving incompetent fuckwits.

E: and because this is United, they are PREPARING that contract instead of actually loving doing something about it.

How the literal gently caress is Ed Woodward still managing transfers for a publicly traded football club?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 13, 2019

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
Apparently Juventus are in for Ndombele now as well

ffs please Levy

please

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Der Shovel posted:

Well at least they didn't leave it far too late and let the uncertainty gently caress up half of their season and drop them out of the Champions League or anything.

I take it you view his dip in form as temporary rather than a sign that he just wants to leave.

He could be good again next season, but even if he gets back closer to his old self, I wonder if that style of keeper will fit the sexy attacking football Solksjaer wants to play.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Brony Car posted:

I take it you view his dip in form as temporary rather than a sign that he just wants to leave.

I think his head wasn't in it towards the end of last season due to the uncertainty around his situation.

Whether United wanted him to stay or not, they should've made a decision long ago and resolved the situation. Either get him signed up ages ago, or drop him and play Romero.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Der Shovel posted:

E: and because this is United, they are PREPARING that contract instead of actually loving doing something about it.

How the literal gently caress is Ed Woodward still managing transfers for a publicly traded football club?

Everyone looks stupid when you believe every report your read in the paper.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brony Car posted:

Was that Mourinho or was that the Belgium national team telling Lukaku to start taking all that creatine?

I thought the whole hype around Lukaku was that he looked like he was going to be another Drogba.

He’s a very different player than Drogba. They’re both just happen to be big black guys.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sassassin posted:

Everyone looks stupid when you believe every report your read in the paper.

Ed Woodward looks stupid no matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently the "galacticos" we chanting "we want mbappe" during hazards welcome today lol