Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Japan will start selling weed but every single little piece will be individually wrapped so it'll take like five hours to roll a joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

totalnewbie posted:

10? That's extremely optimistic of you.

They'll probably start giving up on the plastic fairly soon since it's cheaper, but weed isn't gonna happen in our lifetimes.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Me and a buddy are staying in tokyo till the 17th. We both extremely new at japanese culture so if anyone wants to hang out some night with us to get us up to speed that would be swell!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan will start selling weed but every single little piece will be individually wrapped so it'll take like five hours to roll a joint.

lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mikojan posted:

Me and a buddy are staying in tokyo till the 17th. We both extremely new at japanese culture so if anyone wants to hang out some night with us to get us up to speed that would be swell!

http://www.aggressive-dogs.com/
There's some shows this weekend (check the right column), go get hosed up

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mikojan posted:

What are you looking to do? You don’t need to know poo poo about Japanese culture and muddling through that is part of the experience.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Limburg: do you remember where we went for shabu-shabu? I remember it was a very high floor in Shibuya.
I understand if you don't have total recall of November 2014 at this point

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Nabezo?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hell yeah, that's it. Thanks cabe

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The place where you only tipped 20%? I'm still red in the face about it

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
A local's bike fell over in Asakusa after he parked it, and I picked it up. He turned around and started handing me some O-mikuji fortune papers, I said no it's fine, and he threw them in my bike basket and he biked away. Is that normal?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Shammypants posted:

The place where you only tipped 20%? I'm still red in the face about it

Huh

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Just got back to the US after 2+ weeks in Japan. It was great. Can’t wait to come back and not have a billion temples on my agenda. JFC that flight+connection combo to the east coast with an 18 month old is murder. Can’t say that I would redo that if you asked me today.

Just used a US toilet. The lid did not open up automatically and I had to use paper like an animal. Sad.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Is there any difference in quality between Vanilla Air and Jetstar for a Narita to Sapporo flight? I'm guessing no, but figured I may as well check.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not even a two hour flight, take the cheaper one. It really doesn't matter.

I haven't used either of those but I have flown on a variety of Korean/Japanese LCCs for similar length flights and they've all been the same. Not actively hostile to you like Air Asia but nothing notable.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ThirstyBuck posted:

Just used a US toilet. The lid did not open up automatically and I had to use paper like an animal. Sad.

apart from the part where you have to be back in america, the toilets really are the worst part of coming home from japan

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Is there any difference in quality between Vanilla Air and Jetstar for a Narita to Sapporo flight? I'm guessing no, but figured I may as well check.

If it’s same price, vanilla. Slightly better seats, slightly....

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

caberham posted:

Honestly, instead of making GBS threads on Chinese group tourists, they just do their lovely tour in corners of Tokyo

I rather poo poo on all you First timers to Japan goons asking garbage questions or having terrible planning when you guys are good at using the internet.

Not buying a Data card - OH GOOGLE MAPS OFFLINE MAPS WORK
Wanting to go to Ghibli but not buying the ticket in advance - OH WE WANTED TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE ANYWAY
Wanting to eat "authenthic food" and settling for ichiran Ramen - not looking at the tokyo food map
Robot restaurant
Dont know how to take subways
Settling for Conbini food and calling it "the Japan experience" - it's just convenient store food, hey I like my 7-11 slurpies but I don't JUST go to USA and eat that stuff

Hello, where is the Tokyo Food Map?

EDIT: OOOOOOHHH...the first post, got it. Yeah. Whoops.

EDIT 2: I can check Robot Restaurant off that list as something I thought to do.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 14, 2019

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Limburg: do you remember where we went for shabu-shabu? I remember it was a very high floor in Shibuya.
I understand if you don't have total recall of November 2014 at this point

There’s no way it was that far back?!

But yeah it’s nabezo. It’s a chain and there’s other similar chains btw so don’t feel restricted to just that

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just noticed Afuri is on the food map. They have a spot in Portland that I'm not a huge fan of. I'm going to have to check it out to compare.

Edit: currently sitting at the PDX Taproom in Shibuya enjoying beer I drink all the time back home and not regretting any of it. I will say I'm disappointed I have not come across a single vending machine with beer on this trip. It seems they're far more common in Hokkaido.

highme fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 14, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Strong zero!!! It’s pretty good and fun to drink instead of the usual beers back home.

Afuri I went a few months ago was so so (the pork was thinner and not as good)

But in terms of ramen there are a bajillion choices

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I don’t understand the hype around Afuri. It’s good. But that’s all, it’s a good bowl of ramen. Nothing special nothing inspiring nothing interesting.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Beer vending machines are a pretty inaka feature, generally because they are in places that don't have combinis or liquor shops anywhere nearby. Which is basically nowhere in Tokyo. But there's one right smack at that big Daikanyama intersection, from what I remember.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 14, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My town has beer vending machines, egg vending machines, and lots of very good ramen.

Experience the Real Japan. Experience Shikoku.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Found a condom vending machine in my hood a few months ago

highme
May 25, 2001

A thing I learned tonight, the employees at the Dior store in Shibuya will hold your Strong Zero for you while you watch your kid hunt for a specific pair of shoes.

There's really cool David Lynch exhibit at the Gyre gallery in the same building as the MoMA Design store next door to Dior.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

highme posted:

There's really cool David Lynch exhibit at the Gyre gallery in the same building as the MoMA Design store next door to Dior.

Hello thing wife has to take me to for my birthday. Thanks.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

highme posted:

A thing I learned tonight, the employees at the Dior store in Shibuya will hold your Strong Zero for you while you watch your kid hunt for a specific pair of shoes.

Buying your kid Dior shoes lol.

highme
May 25, 2001

If Dior shoes were to be purchased it would not be with money I provided. Alas they didn't have the one pair she wanted so they kept my $1.50 can of malted beverage safe for no reason at all.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
every hotel i've been to has beer vending machines as well, those aren't public access i guess though

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

There’s no way it was that far back?!

But yeah it’s nabezo. It’s a chain and there’s other similar chains btw so don’t feel restricted to just that

I wouldn't, were I back. I'd also be ringing you up to see if you wanted to hang. I just have a friend who asked me for shabu-shabu recommendations and that was the only real one I had (outside of a ryokan my wife and I did)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

strong zero is not a malt beverage!

highme
May 25, 2001

Sorry, my can of delicious, cheap sochu like beverage.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

peanut posted:

Experience the Real Japan. Experience The Shikoku.

:hmmyes:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

peanut posted:

egg vending machines

gonna need elaboration on this one

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

mikeycp posted:

gonna need elaboration on this one

It's a vending machine you buy eggs out of.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a vending machine you buy eggs out of.

like. just raw eggs?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah. Then you take the eggs home and eat the eggs, smashmouth.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ok. i understand now. thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

eggs

https://niihama.mypl.net/shop/00000355603/