Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, so. I guess all I need now is grimdark name suggestions for an elite unit that does hot drops, infiltration, long range reconnaissance, and other special forces type things.

The Most Holy Ordos of the Emperor’s Inquisition Subdepartmentum of Corrections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Imperial health and safety enforcement division.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The 695 001.M41 Commission

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The Adeptus Ambulas Ridiculum

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, so. I guess all I need now is grimdark name suggestions for an elite unit that does hot drops, infiltration, long range reconnaissance, and other special forces type things.
The Graveyard Shift

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The embedded war photographer training group.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
iirc at least one photographer in the remembrancer corps attached to the later Great Crusade volunteered to grav-chute into a war zone

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Jack B Nimble posted:

Delta Seal Green Ranger Special Beret Force Six :911: :patriot:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think your answers are generally lacking when you say that the Inquisition doesn't employ 'regular' troops. For one thing, the Inquisition has been known to influence Frateris Militia groups that are already worked up for a crusade, for another, we know that there is specifically an army list choice called Inquisitorial Storm Troopers. This means that there are in fact both irregular and disciplined forces at the Inquisitions disposal, even if they don't come from the guard.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Divisio Falconis, Drop Team Kyklos, Task Force Axis

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 14, 2019

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
If we're to assume the Night of a Thousand Rebellions was part of Abbadon's plan to spread the Imperium's forces thin, who would he "trust" to organize it?

If it helps, the plan will ultimately be to send hundreds of srub-level warbands (including the PC's) to gently caress poo poo up with the promise of being able to keep what you conquer.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 15, 2019

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

MizPiz posted:

If we're to assume the Night of a Thousand Rebellions was part of Abbadon's plan to spread the Imperium's forces thin, who would he "trust" to organize it?

If it helps, the plan will ultimately be to send hundreds of srub-level warbands (including the PC's) to gently caress poo poo up with the promise of being able to keep what you conquer.

Likely either Alpha Legion or Word Bearers as they both specialize in softening up worlds with seeded cult activity.

So you could go grandiose enough to say Alpharius/Omegnon or Logar directly, or a sub entity of either Legion.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you've got an Inquisitorial rosette and guts you're an Inquisitor. Sure, theoretically there's a list somewhere but you not being on it proves nothing but that the faithless traitor who doubted you is trying to stop you from doing the Emperor's work.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Relevant Tangent posted:

If you've got an Inquisitorial rosette and guts you're an Inquisitor. Sure, theoretically there's a list somewhere but you not being on it proves nothing but that the faithless traitor who doubted you is trying to stop you from doing the Emperor's work.

Eventually a group of inquisitors from one of the actual inquisition fortresses will get together and either kill you or make it official.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Just in general it's important to keep in mind that the Imperium has no real organization and most stuff comes down to might makes right. Theoretically a planetary governor isn't allowed to just murder an inconvenient Inquisitor but if no one like them you might be fine. Or maybe in 500 years a chapter of Marines will show up, storm your capital and kill your grandkids. Who knows.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah, whether a Planetary Governor listens to you is entirely down to how convenient it is for her and her dynasty. She probably won't kill you in public if you're waving a Roseatte around and shouting about Genestealers in the Underhive but try checking her for an extra arm and you'll have a bad day.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

A Mechanicus cult has formed around an ancient machine. It consumes vast sums of energy to solve increasingly complex equations for some supposedly divine purpose. The resources of entire planets have been consumed to feed the endless hunger of the machine, in order that it will one day provide the Answer To Everything.

It's just a bitcoin miner

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

SardonicTyrant posted:

A Mechanicus cult has formed around an ancient machine. It consumes vast sums of energy to solve increasingly complex equations for some supposedly divine purpose. The resources of entire planets have been consumed to feed the endless hunger of the machine, in order that it will one day provide the Answer To Everything.

It's just a bitcoin miner

Lol

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So I've been reading a lot of what I'd describe as New Wave Imperial Science fiction lately. The Imperial Radch books by Anne Leckie, A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine and the Machinations of Empire books by Yoon Ha Lee and they've had me thinking about what 40k does well, and what it does poorly in terms of displaying an Empire.
I think one thing that all these books do well is to do a good job creating in the reader both an understanding/attraction to the glories of the central space empires, while at the same time repelling the reader with the behaviour. Browsing any large 40k fandom site and I think it is clear 40k does a good job with the former, while not really succeeding at the latter I'm trying to think of ways to help the setting feel more like a real Empire, with the good and evil (and note, way more evil) that it provides.

One pretty basic thing is language. 40k kind of handwaves this with Low and High Gothic. I think the best way to handle this is to say Low Gothic isn't really a language, it's the designation the Imperium gives any "approved" language. Theoretically, only languages that can prove some descent from High Gothic or one of its predecessors should get this status, but due to beauracracy, bribery, and xenophobia many langauges that should get the status don't and visa versa. This lets you include more details about different worlds histories and how heavy-handed and arbitrary the Imperial presence is while helping the worlds seem like distinct cultures. High Gothic on the other hand works as the language of the educated and powerful. The nobility of the world probably speak High Gothic to each other to emphasize how Imperial they are compared to their servants. Rogue and Free Traders along with other ships captains and offices speak High Gothic, and the crew might speak a polyglot version of it. Scientific and philosophic papers would be written in High Gothic along with poetry, opera, plays, and whatever other forms of "high" art. This also helps to create more homogeneity among the upper classes between worlds. Two planets in the same sector might speak mutually unintelligible dialects of Low Gothic, have completely different liturgies etc. but the Nobility on both the worlds are both obsessed with the latest Opera from that new Terran composer that has finally reached the sector.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Oh man I think I totally disagree with you in regards to the Imperial Radch trilogy, I loved those books but they did a heinous job of portraying an empire on a grand scale, the whole thing felt forced into this tiny microcosm of a single planet and a single space station - I hated how narrow the “set pieces” were in that regards, all of the elements falling into this one tiny portion of space for what was supposed to be some grand empire.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Oh man I think I totally disagree with you in regards to the Imperial Radch trilogy, I loved those books but they did a heinous job of portraying an empire on a grand scale, the whole thing felt forced into this tiny microcosm of a single planet and a single space station - I hated how narrow the “set pieces” were in that regards, all of the elements falling into this one tiny portion of space for what was supposed to be some grand empire.

I think it worked for me because the stuff we saw was just that, a microcosm. Ultimately Breq wasn't really that important, most of what happened would have happened without her, just a few more years down the line. I think it did a good job of showing how the Radch was this horrible force that hurt lots of people, but at the same time you could see how the annexed planets would get assimilated, the social structures that were useful got co-oped, and those that were not useful were destroyed. A good example for how the 40k imperial church would work with bringing a world into compliance.
I also like how the character of Anaander Mianaai allowed the empire to be personified. And how that fact of being an Empire meant she was bat-poo poo crazy as her ideals and her actions tore her apart.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Airman Johnson was a bit of a joker. At his interrogation, he confessed he did it to entertain the locals. Give them something to talk about. And why would the Cardinal be mad? Surely I mean he'd seen his own, right? Besides, it was just jet exhaust, it's not like he heretically tampered with his thunderbolt.

And what could they actually charge him with? Heresy? What would they even say? "You knowingly turned the locals from the Emperor for the worship of the-" No, even in his head he knew they wouldn't say it. Couldn't say it.

But in the end it didn't matter. They found their crime. Improper conduct during a mission. Service in the penal legions. But such is the fate of Johnson, the Penile Legionaire.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Reading Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman and getting so many ideas for a ministorum campaign.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Reading Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman and getting so many ideas for a ministorum campaign.

Holy poo poo thank you! I never knew there was a sequel to Canticle for Lebowitz which is also major Ministorum/Ad Mech fodder. The Fallout monster line from that book is gold, and that's just the first 20 pages.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Werix posted:

Holy poo poo thank you! I never knew there was a sequel to Canticle for Lebowitz which is also major Ministorum/Ad Mech fodder. The Fallout monster line from that book is gold, and that's just the first 20 pages.

Having read Canticle really was fundamental to my getting into 40k, and probably forms my baseline of how I think the universe should “feel”. Same with Brazil, tbqh.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Having read Canticle really was fundamental to my getting into 40k, and probably forms my baseline of how I think the universe should “feel”. Same with Brazil, tbqh.

For me it was always 40k video games. I never knew what 40k was untile Fire Warrior, and really got into the fluff and all after Dawn of War. I've been slowly working my way through the game Mechanicus which is a really good tactical shooter in the vein of X-Com. It has been making me want to maybe run an Only War or maybe Wrath and Glory game where the players are part of a Skittari regiment.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Mechanicum does a good job of humanizing skitarii and even tech priests. I'd prolly be interested in the game if WnG re-release is good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

Mechanicum does a good job of humanizing skitarii and even tech priests. I'd prolly be interested in the game if WnG re-release is good.

Well some new books are apparently coming soon.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well some new books are apparently coming soon.

Fix the math
Remove the background from text
Rewrite the Intercessor introduction to be less of a sloppy handjob to an objectively terrible military idea
and I'm good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

Rewrite the Intercessor introduction to be less of a sloppy handjob to an objectively terrible military idea

What's the issue there.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

What's the issue there.

"Let's not give line infantry weapons to take on vehicles to let them concentrate on dudes" is an idea that was thoroughly rejected by the last century.

Seriously, it would have been better if they hadn't tried to pass-off mono-weapon intercessors squads as genius idea by Rowboat, as it calls more attention to it and shows that they understand the stupidity of this setup.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'd let it slide. Rowboat has a ten-milleniae hangover and innovation has been forbidden since he was felled, it stands to reason you got to hit a couple of screwballs before you get it right :pseudo:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JcDent posted:

Yeah, the humanizing they do is really well done in that game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

JcDent posted:

"Let's not give line infantry weapons to take on vehicles to let them concentrate on dudes" is an idea that was thoroughly rejected by the last century.

Seriously, it would have been better if they hadn't tried to pass-off mono-weapon intercessors squads as genius idea by Rowboat, as it calls more attention to it and shows that they understand the stupidity of this setup.

You just made me think of Guilliman sitting in the gloom of his chambers, furiously scrawling his newest doctrinal concept on a sheet of paper, with a dramatical over-the-shoulder closeup revealing the name at the top of the page:

"Tank Destroyer Batallions"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Azran posted:

You just made me think of Guilliman sitting in the gloom of his chambers, furiously scrawling his newest doctrinal concept on a sheet of paper, with a dramatical over-the-shoulder closeup revealing the name at the top of the page:

"Tank Destroyer Batallions"

:laffo:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, but 40k is a universe where people strap jetpacks to themselves, have glowing fists that can punch through steel, and where astartes have full squads of dudes with lascannons and missile launchers. Using some of the Primaris marines as essentially tactical squads but with better guns isn't stupid.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess I’m glad that New-GW seems to be a durable thing but I’m sad that the thing they learned from Chapterhouse seems to be “no customization in models or squads”?

And extremely sorry this seems to have leeched into their artwork and peripheral products.

:shrug:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Werix posted:

Yeah, but 40k is a universe where people strap jetpacks to themselves, have glowing fists that can punch through steel, and where astartes have full squads of dudes with lascannons and missile launchers. Using some of the Primaris marines as essentially tactical squads but with better guns isn't stupid.

Tactical squads have spacial and heavy weapons, 1 per 5 dudes.

Devastators only get 4 heavies per 10 dudes.

You only have mono special/heavy squads in
Primaris and Horus Heresy (I'm angry about it in HH as well).

If intercessors had one plasma per 5 and hellblasters 2 per 5, I'd have been much happier.

And nobody is bending over backwards to rationalize jetpacks or power fists like people in lovely mecha settings who feel bad about having giant bipedal bots try to justify their existence. You don't have a whole pitch about how it actually makes sense to punch a tank with a giant glowing fist or the actually real good physics behind its operation.

Like, if I can suspend my disbelief or whatever for some fantastical elements of the setting doesn't mean I have to uncritically accept them all, especially when the writing gives the impression that authors know they hosed up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Herr Rowboat, the ork gargants have crossed our perimeter."

"Move up the bolter squads. The bolter can meet any conceivable threat. It fires exploding urdiamond-tipped rounds and can only be fired by an absolute unit."

"Herr Rowboat... The bolter squads are in full retreat. Our ground forces are in disarray. We have no anti-armor."

*drops glasses*

Tias
May 25, 2008

Werix posted:

This. Also, can they not opt to carry krak grenades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

primaris spit can melt av12