Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm too poor to fly :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

T-man posted:

Borrow a ballista.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I haven't taken a plane in years and the last time I did it was a business trip I didn't pay for. This trip is just because I need to see my old-rear end relatives one more time before they die cuz they're all very old so I can't really put it off any longer :smith:

I'd feel real awful if I didn't get to visit again before that, they're really great people. My great aunt and uncle got my wife and I a nice wedding present for our big gay wedding, and they still send us christmas / birthday cards every year. When my wife came out as trans they were very supportive and didn't miss a beat updating the cards to her new name using her new pronouns which is pretty fuckin' rad coming from a couple 95 year olds :3:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just realized, my grandpa (who's dead sadly) and my great uncle both fought in the pacific during the war, bravely fighting Japan (and in grandpa's case losing an eye and a finger in the process) so that one day 70 years later I could gay marry a Japanese-descended transwoman

god bless america :patriot:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lancemantis posted:

i remember the ktn/redress stuff being around on the southwest forms forever

also most airlines will save your ktn/redress info so you don't have to enter it every time

i feel like the only point of having a ktn now is just a slightly less invasive waiting in line because everybody and their dog has it now or one of the inexplicable private options

i paid way to much for that stuff :smith:

Depends greatly on the day/time you travel. Almost all business travelers have TSA pre and some form of status so on monday mornings it'll be bad. On a weekend during a summer there might be a 60 minute normal line and zero wait for TSA Pre

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

T-man posted:

me too. I had to put it on my credit card at 24% interest and wait 8 weeks for my goddamn job to reimburse me. I'm still waiting because my trip doesn't end until the 23rd and I have to front another 700 for hotel plus whatever meals I eat.

my wife just had to borrow $1500 from her mom so she can get a plane ticket to go work for free for two weeks in Africa as a graduation requirement.

capitalism can suck my balls. at least we had the available credit for one of our two required trips?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The only flight I ever took was 15 minutes from Orkney to Aberdeen and it was very cool but I will likely never do it again

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i wish we bought back zepplins and cross ocean wind ships, it'll take a while to get there but it's cheap and eco friendly

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow7KcAYtmSw

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Considering zeppelins are prone to being blown about by the winds, couldn't we take advantage of that with modern materials and design an advanced sail rig for zeppelins? Computers and electric motors could do a lot of work trimming and adjusting the sails. They'd be the windjammers of the 21st century!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Probably. The Bajorans were even able to sail to Cardassia using a very primitive space craft utilizing this type of technology.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

What was that guy supposed to do at 1:36 when the dude chucks that ball at him, like do some kind of butler dodge roll? I guess the point is to teach him to learn to take abuse with a smile on his face.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Koishi Komeiji posted:

What was that guy supposed to do at 1:36 when the dude chucks that ball at him, like do some kind of butler dodge roll? I guess the point is to teach him to learn to take abuse with a smile on his face.

Knock it away with his hand, without dropping his tray. If you're gonna learn posh deportment that looks a pretty fun way to do it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

i also paid the tsa $100 fee to be harassed less when going through security. for that i should be guillotined, but i have some serious anxiety and queuing up for customs makes me look super suspect lol

I did the same. Four lines of TSA Pre-check and one line for the plebs the last several times I've been to the airport. I sold out. :(

Eat This Glob posted:

me too. I had to put it on my credit card at 24% interest and wait 8 weeks for my goddamn job to reimburse me. I'm still waiting because my trip doesn't end until the 23rd and I have to front another 700 for hotel plus whatever meals I eat.

my wife just had to borrow $1500 from her mom so she can get a plane ticket to go work for free for two weeks in Africa as a graduation requirement.

capitalism can suck my balls. at least we had the available credit for one of our two required trips?

Have you considered being a baby boomer? There are huge discounts for college tuition if you do that.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Anarcish/status/1139115024633307136

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
goddamn it capitalism

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

I did the same. Four lines of TSA Pre-check and one line for the plebs the last several times I've been to the airport. I sold out. :(

The last time I did airport security was in December 2016, starting at a small regional airport, ending at McCarren in Vegas, and then going in reverse ten days later. The regional was a bunch of whatever since I was leaving dumbfuck early in the morning, but I also don't remember McCarren being particularly onerous on the way back. I passed through O'hare and LAX, but the trick to those is coming in from a different airport. :smuggo:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

goddamn it capitalism

:wrong:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

goddamn it capitalism

Fixed it:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

checks out, stopping time would be a kick rear end skill

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

goddamn it capitalism

Not gonna lie, if I could pull off the Bloodborne look, I would.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

o-ohaio sempai

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not gonna lie, if I could pull off the Bloodborne look, I would.

Nonsense, you do a great job of being pale, gelatinous, and terrifying.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Honestly yeah, this checks out

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:hmmyes:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sure, why not

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
waifu anime is the most capitalist form of anime and thus the worst form.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
rough friday at the office so far.

I was supposed to go out to a few different sites with a co-worker this afternoon to work on a few things after his meeting with the top boss. Well while he was in there my boss came to me and told me to deactivate his logins. I'm afraid to walk over to that part of the building because I don't know how long that massacre is gonna take, or maybe it was over an hour ago.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

WE WANT BIDEO GAME NOW!!!!!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

this but it's the boxart for that video game with an old man playing a banjo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

this but it's the boxart for that video game with an old man playing a banjo

on which side?

(game is Phalanx btw)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
what men want obviously

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lambert posted:

Probably. The Bajorans were even able to sail to Cardassia using a very primitive space craft utilizing this type of technology.

Based on the timelines given within the show, the most likely cause for Cardassia having a sudden massive environmental crisis was the relativistic impact of one of those uncontrollable Bajoran ships.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peanut President posted:

what men want obviously

Hell yeah I want to be a scruffy space banjo man

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

goddamn it capitalism

Remember when Seinfeld wearing a jacket with jeans in 1994 or whatever was a bold new fashion statement?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

rough friday at the office so far.

I was supposed to go out to a few different sites with a co-worker this afternoon to work on a few things after his meeting with the top boss. Well while he was in there my boss came to me and told me to deactivate his logins. I'm afraid to walk over to that part of the building because I don't know how long that massacre is gonna take, or maybe it was over an hour ago.

This loving sucks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Here they just fire the person first thing in the morning and then often not tell anyone and we only find out through deduction later that they're not just taking the day off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

at a previous company someone wrote a program that checked for account deactivations hourly and posted them to an internal newsgroup. more than one person found out they were being fired or laid off that way.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Subjunctive posted:

at a previous company someone wrote a program that checked for account deactivations hourly and posted them to an internal newsgroup. more than one person found out they were being fired or laid off that way.

Anytime my access hiccups I always get a sinking feeling I will get my notice... especially when it is a portal or app to sensitive information or whatever. Usually it is just the network burping or something but one day...maybe not

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Raldikuk posted:

Anytime my access hiccups I always get a sinking feeling I will get my notice... especially when it is a portal or app to sensitive information or whatever. Usually it is just the network burping or something but one day...maybe not

The fact that "oh god this is their way of saying I'm fired" is the first thought of so many people is probably a bad sign.

Because everyone I know does the same thing when our logins fail. The first thought is never that I typed something wrong. It's always that I'm fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Here they just fire the person first thing in the morning and then often not tell anyone and we only find out through deduction later that they're not just taking the day off.

I found out later that someone in his department found out about the firing after he tried to send an email and it kicked back.