Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

OwlFancier posted:

Don't wanna get poo poo for defending dickheads don't be a lawyer. Seems pretty simple.

New thread title plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
as has become normal for D&D, Calibanibal is the voice of reason

Calibanibal posted:

It is the nature of the lamprey to bite the first fish it smells. Who am I to fault the lamprey

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Why would I post in such a thread. I live by four basic words now: listen to cumtown

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I can’t believe I actually read some of that thread before i just started scrolling through pages. I kept waiting for HDD trolling and probation, but that post was for a different poster in the 2077 thread.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Really tempted to go into that thread, say "most defendants are guilty, even poor ones", and then run.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Really tempted to go into that thread, say "most defendants are guilty, especially poor ones", and then run.

Fixed this

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Hold my beer, boys

Godspeed.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My take is that hiring a Harvard professor as your criminal defense attorney is generally a bad idea because they are probably bad at being a lawyer. Hire done white collar crime dudes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I will never post in a politicolegal discussion thread

Ever

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Even to troll? U weak bitch

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I meant to edit that to say “serious post” pretend I did that

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seriouspost: lawyers are mostly rationalizing, rear end covering weasels with broken moral compasses. This is because they represent people and people are horrible. Or they represent governments or corporate/capital interests, which are even worse.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Don't people already hate attorneys?

El_Elegante posted:

Harvey isn’t indigent, OP

So is the issue representing rich people or people accused of heinous crimes?

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 13, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
This one jim jam in this CLE I'm in has viscerally reacted (huh! ha! whoa! wow!) to every single thing a presenter has said.

It's a 7 hour video playback.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

He may not be indigent, but he sure is impotent.

That's why his rape was eating puss

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don't people already hate attorneys?

So is the issue representing rich people or people accused of heinous crimes?

Lmao a shameful edit, I thought you were intentionally making a bad faith argument. Being too lazy to read is :discourse:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Jesus dude

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

HDD coming on strong as actually worse jokeman than DV

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Who's getting $6 million for a criminal trial, and where do I send my resume to get in on that?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

ahahaha

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

zzyzx posted:

Who's getting $6 million for a criminal trial, and where do I send my resume to get in on that?

Same. I'm defence counsel next tuesday and I'm getting paid a pittance from the state (since in Norway every attorney is a public defender, right of choice of counsel etc.).

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I've long held the belief that I am an expensive whore and that my money is made from doing the cases I find the most reprehensible.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GrandmaParty posted:

I've long held the belief that I am an expensive whore and that my money is made from doing the cases I find the most reprehensible.

that doesn't seem fair to whores, we provide so much less overall utility

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

that doesn't seem fair to whores, we provide so much less overall utility

Harder to get rid of a lawyer, too.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Well don’t own a Subaru then.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm not that expensive to be honest

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Formally accepted into the MS Finance program. I will work with the program coordinator tomorrow to apply to a different program and then transfer my application to the MSF one (which technically closed June 1).

I don't think my boss is going to be happy with me moving to part time, but I don't really care because he can't pay me enough to keep me full time anyways.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Formally accepted into the MS Finance program. I will work with the program coordinator tomorrow to apply to a different program and then transfer my application to the MSF one (which technically closed June 1).

I don't think my boss is going to be happy with me moving to part time, but I don't really care because he can't pay me enough to keep me full time anyways.

gently caress yeah dude start doing some stats ASAP and there are lots of ways you can leverage it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The first two classes are econometrics for finance majors (which is less rigorous or in depth than the econometrics I took for my BS) and a class that's mostly how to use excel to do data analysis. Both of those are right up my alley, although I am rusty.

Classes start the 24th. I'm excited and hopefully free of this crushing profession.

It's going to be great to have classes that aren't graded competitively.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

The first two classes are econometrics for finance majors (which is less rigorous or in depth than the econometrics I took for my BS) and a class that's mostly how to use excel to do data analysis. Both of those are right up my alley, although I am rusty.

Classes start the 24th. I'm excited and hopefully free of this crushing profession.

It's going to be great to have classes that aren't graded competitively.

My fiancee majored in finance, she makes almost the same as I did and has a much nicer workplace. My brother got out of engineering to grab a finance bachelor since it's hugely helpful. Even I considered it even though I feel very done with uni.

It's probably a smart move and you're a smart guy, I hope it works out for you.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Oh man it looks like the DAs office in my district just imploded - time for the coup de gras

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Oh man it looks like the DAs office in my district just imploded - time for the coup de gras

Around half of the misdemeanor state attorneys up here for a while were CLI clerks because of a sudden exodus of half a dozen attorneys from the office.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GrandmaParty posted:

Repeat after me: facilitating consideration.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

gently caress yeah

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
BIG CYBER DICK

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

lol welcome back king

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is Real Estate the most boring type of law?

Jesus gently caress I don't want to hear the word estoppel again in my life

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Patent is more boring imo

Also that thread has just gone downhill jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is Real Estate the most boring type of law?

Jesus gently caress I don't want to hear the word estoppel again in my life

It's probably the biggest discrepancy between how boring the books are and how interesting the practice actually is.