Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I am honestly kind of surprised just how invested people are in playable Zelda.

Maybe I'm still just hung up on the last time Zelda was playable, on CDI. But seriously, I just had no idea how much everyone wanted this. It's kind of confusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Backhand posted:

Maybe I'm still just hung up on the last time Zelda was playable, on CDI. But seriously, I just had no idea how much everyone wanted this. It's kind of confusing to me.

Variety is good, and she's a compelling character. Also a LOT of women play Zelda games, so why not?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Let link ride Zelda like master blaster. You all know who runs tarrey town.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Backhand posted:

The CDI games happened a lifetime ago and weren’t even made by Nintendo, it’s really not something worth getting hung up on in the current year.
That wasn’t the last time Zelda was playable in a spin-off either, she was playable in Hyrule Warriors and is playable in Cadence of Hyrule. Both games are great.

Also, this version of Zelda in particular is a legit great character and the idea of her taking the leading roll in this game is exciting .

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I joke but please don't let it be like Ico

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wonder if we get to keep that yak.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Backhand posted:

This is the best ever version of Zelda and I want to play as her

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Regy Rusty posted:

This is the best ever version of Zelda and I want to play as her

:same:

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Playing as Zelda would be a neat change to the game franchise but I'm not overly optimistic that this game will be it.

My 10 year old daughter played BotW and lamented repeatedly that she couldn't play as a girl so there is definitely a group of fans that would want this. Having the option to play as Link or some female character (doesn't have to be Zelda, per se) would be cool.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Playing as Zelda would also give an excuse for the obligatory power reset - we just had to go through a billion shrines as Link to get up to full strength, but Zelda's been stuck in stasis sitting on Ganon for a century

of course, there was endless speculation for Link being Zelda/a girl when BotW1 was in development, and that went nowhere, but hey, we can hope

sidenote: I really hope that, given they've got 85% of the assets or so already made, the story is much more fleshed out than "wander around the world collecting memories." I was happy with BotW, but man the trailers made it seem like a much more active game than it was

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I wonder if we get to keep that yak.

You play as the yak

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
After Link is possessed or lost, Zelda wanders Hyrule, explores the vast underground Sheikah foundries where the divine beasts were made, regains her divine powers with the aid of the three dragons, enters a hidden world to uncover the forgotten history of the Triforce, and breaks Ganondorf free from the curse of Demise. The bearers of Wisdom and Power rescue the avatar of Courage. Also Link and Zelda kiss

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zoran posted:

uncover the forgotten history of the Triforce

that's a good point i completely didn't notice until you just said that. in botw the triforce doesn't exist at all, and didn't even notice. why bring it back now when it's proved non-essential to making a fun game

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

More like trifarts :newlol:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

that's a good point i completely didn't notice until you just said that. in botw the triforce doesn't exist at all, and didn't even notice. why bring it back now when it's proved non-essential to making a fun game
I dunno, I still prefer the older Din/Nayru/Farore goddesses to the trend of having the goddess Hylia that started in Skyward Sword, but that's largely because I found a lot of Skyward Sword to be dumb.

Even if the Triforce™ itself isn't present, the 3 Dragons indicate that they're still around, even if people don't seem to worship them anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zoran posted:

After Link is possessed or lost, Zelda wanders Hyrule, explores the vast underground Sheikah foundries where the divine beasts were made, regains her divine powers with the aid of the three dragons, enters a hidden world to uncover the forgotten history of Tingle, and breaks Groose free from the curse of Skyward Sword. The bearers of Wisdom and Power rescue the avatar of Courage. Also Link and Groose kiss

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

link maybe got too used to walking around hyrule all on his lonesome

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
The Sheika Slate fingerprint Touch ID was only trained on one finger, on a hand he loses. Rookie mistake, Link.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cadence of Hyrule is out today and it's real good y'all. It feels like a legit Zelda game because you got the big overworld and you traverse around and find your way to get into the dungeons which are semi-randomized. The music is fantastic too. It's all pretty much instantly recognizable classic Zelda tunes but with that good funky Necrodancer style.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Cadence of Hyrule is out today and it's real good y'all. It feels like a legit Zelda game because you got the big overworld and you traverse around and find your way to get into the dungeons which are semi-randomized. The music is fantastic too. It's all pretty much instantly recognizable classic Zelda tunes but with that good funky Necrodancer style.
define semi-randomized

because I liked Crypt of the Necrodancer in theory, but I hated the fact that I could spend several hours trying to work through a dungeon and make zero progress because of the roguelike stuff. combine that with being kinda poo poo at the combat, I'm glad I only spent two dollars on the thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hope Darknuts are in the new game. They were one of the big original Zelda enemies missing and I felt like we needed a more elite enemy between Moblin and Lynel.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping for playable Zelda AND Gannon, because I'd love to see the other stories. And with Gannon you can choose to do the path of evil, or maybe he's tired of constantly being brought back over and over, and wants to rid himself of the malice curse. It'd def be an interesting story.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cadence of Hyrule is way less roguelike. The overworld isn't roguelike at all. I've only done one dungeon so far but it had a unique layout and the only things that looked to be randomized were smaller room layouts in each wing you walk through with the enemy layout and such. They still feel very much like Zelda dungeons. So if you just didn't like the roguelike elements of Necrodancer I think you'd probably like this game since it's way less randomized.

There's still items and Necrodancer style stuff like glass items (break on hit) and stuff like torches and shovels have durability but you also get permanent upgrades. In example I got a Broadsword which I can use as a default weapon and then I've found poo poo like Glass Daggers and poo poo and once those break you go back to whatever you have equipped (like said Broadsword).

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Also you can play as Zelda in Cadence of Hyrule.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Backhand posted:

Virtually every time she shows up she's a more interesting character than the last time, and she gets more character development and growth than anyone else, especially Link, who is a stoic cipher. Plus, she shares with the player the attribute of being the only one who knows what the gently caress is going on in the story. People get attached to her.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

But Tingle has had his own game, so there's that.

beedle adventure racing

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

beedle adventure racing

put beedle in mariokart :colbert:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Bongo Bill posted:

Virtually every time she shows up she's a more interesting character than the last time, and she gets more character development and growth than anyone else, especially Link, who is a stoic cipher. Plus, she shares with the player the attribute of being the only one who knows what the gently caress is going on in the story. People get attached to her.

plus she got that booty

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Backhand posted:

1) Zelda is pretty cool.

2) Women like women protagonists.

3) It would mean that Zelda finally got some agency and doesn't get kidnapped and trapped yet again, which has been a huge disservice to her character over the years and frankly the *one* thing that feels bitter to me in botw and in the zelda franchise.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MokBa posted:

plus she got that booty
obligatory

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dude, she's 17, WTF!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Dude, she's 17, WTF!
that's literally an ingame screenshot that practically became a meme but go off I guess

also, I don't recall the game actually saying her age anywhere?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hope Darknuts are in the new game. They were one of the big original Zelda enemies missing and I felt like we needed a more elite enemy between Moblin and Lynel.

Hinox: Am I a joke to you?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Blaziken386 posted:

that's literally an ingame screenshot that practically became a meme but go off I guess

She does the rites at the Spring of Wisdom on her 17th birthday. Ganon returns after she descends the mountain and meets the Champions at the Lanayru Gate

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Picked this up again after beating it at launch, had the season pass so I get to see all the stuff that released for it for the first time on my new save. Gotta say, not a fan of how you can't upgrade the DLC outfits. Especially since you gotta go out of your way to get them and they have some cool set bonuses. Pretty lame since the Amiibo exclusive content (argh) is fully upgradable.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I thought you could get everything but epona and the wolf in the dlc?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Blaziken386 posted:

One of the memories has Zelda tell Link that tomorrow is her 17th birthday and she'll be heading up a mountain to pray to the Goddess in a last shot of unlocking her power.

The next memory is her coming back down having failed and then Ganon immediately raising to wreck the world.

What I'm trying to say is Zelda is :actually: 16 in that screenshot and her 17th birthday was like...the worst ever in history.

edit: and beaten.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

I thought you could get everything but epona and the wolf in the dlc?

Unless I was reading some stuff wrong, there's a handful of amiibo exclusive weapons and outfits still.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

NofrikinfuN posted:

Hinox: Am I a joke to you?
yes

Zoran posted:

She does the rites at the Spring of Wisdom on her 17th birthday. Ganon returns after she descends the mountain and meets the Champions at the Lanayru Gate
huh, the more you know.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Picked this up again after beating it at launch, had the season pass so I get to see all the stuff that released for it for the first time on my new save. Gotta say, not a fan of how you can't upgrade the DLC outfits. Especially since you gotta go out of your way to get them and they have some cool set bonuses. Pretty lame since the Amiibo exclusive content (argh) is fully upgradable.
yeah, the fact you can't upgrade the armor sucks. Especially considering how you upgrade it. Do the Great Faeries just think the Ganon set looks tacky or something? Does it offend their fashion choices??

also I'm still mad the gerudo clothing is permanently at 1 defense. It's not even a handwavey excuse of materials being a factor, considering the champion's tunic is one of the best pieces of armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Zoran posted: