Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Now if only most of the people involved, both professionally and not, weren't garbage tier human beings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Iceclaw posted:

Now if only most of the people involved, both professionally and not, weren't garbage tier human beings!

They aren't though. The Citizens aren't, I mean. We are hyper-partisan in this thread. We cherry pick the dozen most insane and terrible posters because they're funny, and 90% of the Something Awful Store Citizer thread posters do not have any real interaction with the community or game beyond that. It's guaranteed to give a crazy distorted view. In my experience the vast majority of the community are just harmless gullible nerds or game dads who spent a couple hundred bucks and aren't paying any attention except to pull their ships out of the space closet once a year and survey their collection. If you actually log into the game, you'll find a *lot* of salt and anger as well- it's just suppressed in official channels.

CIG? Well, it seems like there's lots of evidence that Chris and Lando and Sandi and Ortwin and Ben are all awful, terrible grifters. I'd even go so far as to say that whoever is actually doing their sales and marketing is probably committing some actual fraud. But a lot of the people directly involved in working on the game seem pretty sincere, if mismanaged into terminal incompetence. I can't really fault them for wanting to make a spaceship game except when they directly lie about what they've actually made on camera.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

TheAgent posted:

I mean yeah, but why buy them if you ain't going to wear them, and just stare at them all day going "one day I'll be invited to the met gala, and when that happens I can bust out these shoes and it'll be amazing" and you sit and dream and dream and dream about that one day about 8 years from when you first bought them but then oh poo poo you realize that they are completely out of style now and a used pair of those same shoes is about a quarter of the price so you better buy back in super loving hard with the new style because that gala event or the oscars or whatever the gently caress dreamworld poo poo you have going on in your completely broken brain is screaming at you SPEND MORE MONEY IT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY and ONE DAY YOU'LL BE IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR THIS AND EVERYONE WILL ADORE YOU and you take to twitter to post things like "you don't understand shoe development" and "maybe you need to be more positive" and you take pictures of the shoes in different angles and lighting to make them look even better and find a similar group of users on reddit so you can all talk about just how amazing these shoes will be in the very, very extremely near future when you finally get to wear them

His single biggest client is American novelist Danielle Steel, who is reputed to own over 6,000 pairs and is known to have purchased up to 80 pairs at a time when shopping at his stores.

Danielle steel, the Clifford of fancy women's shoes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I mean, I just spend ~$3000 on a new carbon fibre road bike (it was actually a killer deal) and related accoutrements because cycling is indeed my hobby. The difference is that the bicycle is a real very well functioning thing and I will use it every work day commute.

I have a high amount of confidence that the tires will not randomly fly off while I'm riding it and kill me.

The comparison to buying a cup of coffee a day always makes me laugh too. It's not like those are the only options! I don't spend my money on Star Citizen and I also don't buy a cup of coffee every day because those are almost equally stupid things to do in my view.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

This is loving pathetic, it looks like a barely making it boothlet that are pity distributed when events are full up but have unusable areas do to location or size restrictions so they donate them to businesses to poor to afford the main fee.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I see the new "corkscrew" launch dynamic is now in place. I hope they can get it synced correctly with the "Benny Hill Show" them song for maximum effect.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

monkeytek posted:

I see the new "corkscrew" launch dynamic is now in place. I hope they can get it synced correctly with the "Benny Hill Show" them song for maximum effect.

Why is the cockpit shooting sparks all over, when nothing's happened to the thing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fidelitious posted:

The comparison to buying a cup of coffee a day always makes me laugh too. It's not like those are the only options! I don't spend my money on Star Citizen and I also don't buy a cup of coffee every day because those are almost equally stupid things to do in my view.

A cup of coffee can range from free to around $8, so it's not a great comparison, but then 'Boo' Huxley has been a soft apologist since forever.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rePool posted:

Response of the year!

Wipes away tear

Thank you! Thank you! I'd just like to take this moment to thank everyone who supported me through the making of that post. My family, my friends, and of course, I can't fail to mention, Pogo the Clown!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SoftNum posted:

What I don't ever get about these types of requests .... there's already a myriad of sex games out there catering to basically anything you can think of. Go play one of those.

They could always go help fund that new space hentai game that is coming out.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I'm still super confused by Relic. Did he create an account just to pimp Star Citizen? He doesn't have much of a following, or many interactions, and his avatar looks to be some weird 2000s emo Second Life character, but he posts pretty regularly and it's exclusively SC related.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dynastocles posted:

I'm still super confused by Relic. Did he create an account just to pimp Star Citizen? He doesn't have much of a following, or many interactions, and his avatar looks to be some weird 2000s emo Second Life character, but he posts pretty regularly and it's exclusively SC related.

He used to be somebody in Second Life when the Linden bucks were flowing, I found his real estate site a while back.

He's entirely on the 'passive income' axis of the SC shill.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dynastocles posted:

Yes

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

I guess I'm saying that there was a point where I was really into internet spaceships and I'd get extremely excited to theorycraft about them and the ways we were all going to fly them later and why not throw money at them? And then I got burned by like five mmo's in a row and I decided that all video games are trash and it's better to sit back and yell angrily at everyone else because they're stupid for liking things that will fail. But that didn't really feel as good and honestly was kind of a bummer.

So I took some time and looked in myself and now I've realized that all video games are trash, but that it's okay if people get excited about them, because the world is trash and we should cherish every little thing that sparks joy without hurting anyone else in this endless holocaust hellscape of a civilization.

very philosophic.
i had the exact same experience with women. still enjoying the ride even though fail is always round the corner.

(guys i'm not an incel/mgtow/pickupartist or some other fanatic that was still my experience and you could certainly turn around my statement as well you know like a women who unfortunately had a lot of bad luck with men)

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 13, 2019

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I think that’s generally true about dating, you hope for the best and expect the worst. Women aren’t trash, men aren’t trash, other genders of people aren’t trash, but honestly dating rarely brings out the best in anybody.

But then again, I’ve been married for twenty years, maybe it’s different now. :shrug:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hav posted:

Second Life

I was wondering where all these weirdos came from before SC, and this makes so, so much sense. It's just the right mixture of crazy, jank, scale, and real money to be SC's predecessor.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you claim an entire gender is trash, you need to take a long look in the mirror.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was wondering where all these weirdos came from before SC, and this makes so, so much sense. It's just the right mixture of crazy, jank, scale, and real money to be SC's predecessor.

There's an entire group of people that have been making income from MMOs and similar for years. It's all beginning to make a bit of an impression, which is why when you go over a certain trading amount in Steam, they send you tax documentation. Linden Labs was one of the first to attempt to couple online property to cash dolla dolla bills, so of course it attracted a bunch of these guys.

Second Life's problem was linear extrapolation. World of Warcraft did incredibly well as a unicorn, but as soon as the numbers started coming out, everyone wanted to tap the MMO teat, and that split the potential marketplace. Since then, people have gone more snackable with their gaming and content above a certain age group, which was the target for subscriptions and 'life replacements'.

Pretty much all the backers of note have a bit of MMO in their past because of the ubiquity, but there's a percentage of whales looking to make a quick buck from...well, it changes, but the whole concept of being 'established' forms the basis of this.

Popete posted:

If you claim an entire gender is trash, you need to take a long look in the mirror.

Our favorite Nordic bodybuilder spends a lot of time in front of a mirror, but you know who is trash? Trash people. You'll know them when they yell at you.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

monkeytek posted:

How do you license that which is not yours?

You just flip the licensing switch dummy.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Popete posted:

Goons are trash ..... Every last one of them :colbert:

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Lladre posted:

Star citizen has affected me in one good way.

I did not pre order Cyberpunk 2077.

CDPR are a reputable developer but it is good not to preorder. (I pre-ordered. :ssh: )

My only worry is the combat, Witcher combat sucked very badly so bad I could not play the game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

reverend crabhands posted:

My only worry is the combat, Witcher combat sucked very badly so bad I could not play the game.

It didn't click for me until I moved to a controller. I bounced _hard_ off Witcher 3 until I bought it on the PS4, then mainlined the thing with a controller.

I can't attest to this working, but it made a huge difference to me.

I've also bounced off Bloodborne twice, so make of that what you will.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

stinch posted:

His single biggest client is American novelist Danielle Steel, who is reputed to own over 6,000 pairs and is known to have purchased up to 80 pairs at a time when shopping at his stores.

Danielle steel, the Clifford of fancy women's shoes.

Who is the Imelda Marcos of SC jpegs?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hav posted:

It didn't click for me until I moved to a controller. I bounced _hard_ off Witcher 3 until I bought it on the PS4, then mainlined the thing with a controller.

I can't attest to this working, but it made a huge difference to me.

I've also bounced off Bloodborne twice, so make of that what you will.

The Witcher 2 and 3 are odd in that the combat is awful without a controller, and the menus are awful without a mouse. Still loved the 3rd game to play through it twice on PS4, though.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 13, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fidelitious posted:

I have a high amount of confidence that the tires will not randomly fly off while I'm riding it and kill me.

Just you wait until Tesla reveals their own bike!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

When is CIG going to come out with a sex dungeon ship that costs $5,000 and rake in millions? That's the real question.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

If you brought an Iris in 2012 and I brought one today, mine is better value than your one.

In other words, $2,500 in 2012 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $2,782.61 in 2019, a difference of $282.61 over 7 years.

Invest in Star Citizen, winner winner Chris gets more dinner.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 13, 2019

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RebelGalaxy/status/1139241746611634176

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

av/post combo wins

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
There needs to be a post Star Citizen failure sale by every space game where you can trade in all your jpegs for a 5 dollar off coupon for new customers. Wanna explore the galaxy for real? come join us for the fraction of the price of and Idris!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

reverend crabhands posted:

CDPR are a reputable developer but it is good not to preorder. (I pre-ordered. :ssh: )

I’m anticipating another visually impressive and well-written game that plays like something that fell out of a cat’s rear end, just like Witcher III.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

:siren:BREAKING STANDBY:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmFqrNTDpWw

This week on "As The World Churns":

* We're redoing all the space stations because oops we made a bunch of ships that are too big for the original designs
* But this time we're making them procedural so we can build a bunch automatically, just like every other space game
* Oh, you thought it was taking so long because we were handcrafting all the stations one by one? Nope sorry we just weren't actually working on them at all.
* Oh sorry we're only going to make the "Secondary Locations" procedural so don't you worry, your favorite space station will still be full of hand-placed garbage cans or whatever
* (All of the locations are secondary locations)

* Bartenders! We are seriously putting time and effort into the animations of single-action background NPC's in our game where the flight doesn't work
* Here's some more of that mocap you loving love. God it's so good, mocapping mixed drinks. None of this will ever be in the game!

* We reworked another fighter because we made it look cool in the concept art, and then it looked like a turd when it came out, and you got mad!
* The changes are barely noticeable but you better believe we will do six episodes of our youtube series, a magazine issue, and a ship sale over them- tacking on at least 3 months of overhead to our schedule.
* That keeps happening for some reason but definitely give us the benefit of the doubt this time, and also more of your money please!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Agony Aunt posted:

They could always go help fund that new space hentai game that is coming out.

The truly terrifying thing about Subverse is that the top level $whale level pledge lets you design one of the sex scenes.

I do not want to see what people willing to pay that kind of money make into a sex scene.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This bullshit is beyond parody

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Chris saw the star wars cantina and got it into his head that that is where all important space business is conducted.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Strangler 42 posted:

Chris saw the star wars cantina and got it into his head that that is where all important space business is conducted.

Yeah, remember when the bartender in the cantina did this?

No, wait, sorry, that was down the street at the TGI Fridays.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I can't wait for Crobberts to watch the Beyond the Aquila rift short and implement E:D like target-overshooting in supercruise plus space spider nests

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

I do not want to see what people willing to pay that kind of money make into a sex scene.

Thread is becoming self-aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I mean the only reason they are doing this is because sq42 has a ton of bar scenes, just like every roberts game

reminder that anything you see coming to the PU is because its desperately needed for a scene in sq42