Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Trapick posted:

As someone who has done both, call center is infinitely worse. Do the retail job.

This, people are definitely more unrestrained on what they will say and do on the phone versus face to face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

PittTheElder posted:

I'm curious to see what a concerted number of strikers could do with some non-violent traffic interference. It expect it would be easy to bring Calgary and Edmonton to a screeching halt by fouling up the major arteries at rush hour via some safe incompetence.

Maybe instead of loving up other workers' days for no reason, you could stick to actual strike action (withdrawing your labor). :coal:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

This, people are definitely more unrestrained on what they will say and do on the phone versus face to face
Yep, plus the ability to move around is really really huge. At a call centre job you are effectively shackled to your desk. Go for retail somewhere like home depot, the pay will be equally poo poo and customers are terrible regardless, but at least you can move around/get outside once in a while.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How would you be able to tell the difference between Deerfoot (hosed up by incompetence on purpose) and Deerfoot (hosed up by incompetence unintentionally), the latter of which is a daily occurrence already anyway?

The poo poo that you'd do on purpose would pale in comparison to the things the average narcissistic Calgarian rear end in a top hat does as a matter of course, because doing things intentionally would mean you recognize the consequences of your actions, precluding an entire category of heinously unsafe traffic-clogging behaviour which occurs daily with no political motivation behind it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Trapick posted:

Yep, plus the ability to move around is really really huge. At a call centre job you are effectively shackled to your desk. Go for retail somewhere like home depot, the pay will be equally poo poo and customers are terrible regardless, but at least you can move around/get outside once in a while.

Depending on what kind of a premium you put on that, consider ramping at an airport, provided you're not disabled. The pay isn't terrible and you get wicked travel benefits. Everyone I know who does it seems pretty happy. It's hard work, but if you don't mind that, it seems decent enough and you don't have to deal with customers face-to-face.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PT6A posted:

How would you be able to tell the difference between Deerfoot (hosed up by incompetence on purpose) and Deerfoot (hosed up by incompetence unintentionally), the latter of which is a daily occurrence already anyway?

Well that would be exactly the point, I imagine the difference would be duration. You could gently caress up nearly every business in the city in a way that you could never prove was any particular union or individual. Small business owners would blame unions for it, but they already do that for everything anyway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dignity and an empty cardboard box is worth the cardboard box.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Does anyone have suggestions for books or essays that are pro-pipeline/pro-resource extraction/pro-free market capitalism despite climate change?

I don't mean dumb /r/ancap type stuff. I mean what the Conservative & neoliberal policymakers and bureaucrats are reading to inform/legitimize their politics.

Context:
Just got a grant for a regional conference and its kernel is the intersections of anti-poverty, Reconciliation, and environmental justice in the North. The BCTF has an inclination towards bumper sticker activism but I don't want to tilt at windmills -- the topic is too important.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Baronjutter posted:

Dignity and an empty cardboard box is worth the cardboard box.

He said, having never lived in a cardboard box

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jan posted:

As someone who has done both, at least with tech support you can roll your eyes, flip the bird and otherwise treat your impatient, demanding customers with the respect they actually deserve while maintaining a straight, polite voice. Helps with sanity.

Plus, if you speak Canadian English without an accent, most callers will be a lot more patient by virtue of speaking to a "real" Canadian instead of a filthy outsourced and/or immigrant worker.

But in your particular case, I hope you're good with your voice or are otherwise ready to be frequently misgendered. :(

My voice is sadly still something I'm working on, so yeah that's a concern.

I might get misgendered wherever I go, I don't know.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

just another posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for books or essays that are pro-pipeline/pro-resource extraction/pro-free market capitalism despite climate change?

I don't mean dumb /r/ancap type stuff. I mean what the Conservative & neoliberal policymakers and bureaucrats are reading to inform/legitimize their politics.

Context:
Just got a grant for a regional conference and its kernel is the intersections of anti-poverty, Reconciliation, and environmental justice in the North. The BCTF has an inclination towards bumper sticker activism but I don't want to tilt at windmills -- the topic is too important.

Go down the Steven Pinker rabbit hole

quote:

How, then, should we deal with climate change? Deal with it we must. I agree with the climate justice warriors that preventing climate change is a moral issue because it has the potential to harm billions, particularly the world’s poor. But morality is different from moralizing, and is often poorly served by it. It may be satisfying to demonize fossil fuel corporations, but that won’t prevent destructive climate change.

The enlightened response to climate change is to figure out how to get the most energy with the least emission of greenhouse gases. There is, to be sure, a tragic view of modernity in which this is impossible: industrial society, powered by flaming carbon, contains the fuel of its own destruction. But the tragic view is incorrect. The modern world has been progressively decarbonizing. When rich countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom first industrialized, they emitted more and more CO2 to produce a dollar of GDP, but they turned a corner in the 1950s and since then have been emitting less and less. China and India are following suit, cresting in the late 1970s and mid-1990s, respectively. Carbon intensity for the world as a whole has been declining for half a century.[31]

https://thebreakthrough.org/journal/no.-8-winter-2018/enlightenment-environmentalism

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Legit if you are qualified to work in retail, you are qualified to drive a bus. Bus drivers are one of the few entry level no-skill jobs that are still unionized and come with decent pay and benefits. All the training is provided and paid for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sitchensis posted:

Legit if you are qualified to work in retail, you are qualified to drive a bus. Bus drivers are one of the few entry level no-skill jobs that are still unionized and come with decent pay and benefits. All the training is provided and paid for.

Sadly I cannot drive for medical reasons. If I showed up at the Ministry of Transportation I know they'd need at least two, if not three medical clearances before they let me anywhere near a wheel.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ChickenWing posted:

He said, having never lived in a cardboard box

I think you got the reverse meaning from this. Someone needs to brush up on their rules of acquisition.
(the point is that dignity has no monetary value and thus you can't sleep in it or eat it)

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

vyelkin posted:

I'm betting on "We'll invest in the clean energy of the future--the tar sands!"

Rebrand the tar sands once again. The "oil sands" will now be the "energy sands".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Job Sands. Prosperity Sands.

Not left, not right, Forward Sands.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Baronjutter posted:

Not left, not right, Forward Sands.

:golfclap:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TerminalSaint posted:

Rebrand the tar sands once again. The "oil sands" will now be the "energy sands".

There's nothing wrong with sand that comes from Alberta's industrious and innovative Silicon Plains.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
conservatives are very smrt

https://twitter.com/SarahFischerDVN/status/1138979368993206273

(This is a CPC candidate in Toronto)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Having disposable containers for water is dumb as gently caress whether it's a drinkbox or a bottle, gently caress sake we've had reusable vessels for this poo poo since antiquity.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Kibayasu posted:

I’ve never been sure if it’s better for them to let them do the 5 minute speech they’ve been told to make to everyone or just tell them I’m not interested immediately. Are their metrics better if they get to call more people or if they get to do their entire pitch even if it doesn’t result in anything. Just trying to help out a fellow capitalist drone here :capitalism:

As somebody who's done telemarketing due to living in Montreal while being an anglophone, I prefer somebody who listens the the spiel first before telling me that they're not interested and hanging up.

Baronjutter posted:

Like, does that work on some people? Yell at them, say they are being rude, demand they let you "hear them out" and then get a sale from it?

Oh, you would definitely be surprised. There was this one lady I remember from a job who averaged either double or triple the amount of sales as the next highest seller, and she was an absolute psycho on the phone. You could hear her yelling from across the room, saying things to people like "I thought you were a person of your word, are you a liar?" If the client didn't do what they were asked by a certain time.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 14, 2019

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah I don't know why the response couldn't be "we use glass, actually" aside from it being untrue since it wasn't his answer.

I first saw that water box weirdness provided to me by a coworker completely branded in Scheer, with like some rolleyes clip at the end. It was cringe worthy for like every reason imaginable.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
boxed water is dumb, but like, not for the reasons conservatives think it is

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

My voice is sadly still something I'm working on, so yeah that's a concern.

I might get misgendered wherever I go, I don't know.

I'm doing phone tech support in Toronto right now. It's honestly not that bad work, although it is dealing with Americans all day and it's about 50/50 whether I get misgendered. If you can get a better job, do that, but if you need something to get you by, could do far worse.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Liquid? In a box???

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Yellow Ant posted:

Liquid? In a box???

She's obviously lacking in experience when it comes to liquid in her box.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I've been rocking the same Nalgene for like 10 years now, and only got rid of the one before that due to the BPA thing.

poo poo's really not rocket surgery.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

She's obviously lacking in experience when it comes to liquid in her box.

:golfclap:

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
A bit late on telemarketer discussion... Why not take the easy way, and configure your voip modem to forward all calls that start with 1-800 or 1-866 or 011 - 1-800 to your favourite mpp of choice?

If they pass through your defences by use of a local number as a hub, ask them "sorry - I cannot hear you... can you callback in 2 minutes?" then add their number to your wildcard string...

Guigui fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 14, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Guigui posted:

A bit late on telemarketer discussion... Why not take the easy way, and configure your voip modem to forward all calls that start with 1-800 or 1-866 or 011 - 1-800 to your favourite mpp of choice?

If they pass through your defences by use of a local number as a hub, ask them "sorry - I cannot hear you... can you callback in 2 minutes?" then add their number to your wildcard string...

...I like it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Guigui posted:

Almost all spam calls now are spoofed robot poo poo. Ni hao!

Blocking or redirecting the number does nothing except give you a tiny chance of blocking a legit call from the real owner of that number in the future.

I don't think I've been called by an actual real call center number in years.

Just never pick up the phone for unknown numbers unless you are actually expecting to hear from unknown numbers. Every pickup is a confirmation your number is live. Anyone real will just leave a message and you can get back to them in a few minutes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Butcher posted:

Anyone real will just leave a message and you can get back to them in a few minutes.

Lol as if anyone leaves a message these days, or listens to their messages.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Lol as if anyone leaves a message these days, or listens to their messages.

For professional stuff, yeah you do still use them.

Your friends aren't going to leave you VMs, but for work stuff you need to do them as part of the CYA to be like "whelp, we did our part at exact {timestamp} but PT6A didn't pick up, so the ball is in his court now to get back to us.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sitchensis posted:

Posties and LCBO whatevers-they're-called are treated well too, and if you're a labourer on a jobsite and you're not trying to learn a subtrade from one of the guys working there, what are you even doing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flakeloaf posted:

Posties and LCBO whatevers-they're-called are treated well too, and if you're a labourer on a jobsite and you're not trying to learn a subtrade from one of the guys working there, what are you even doing.

Bumming smokes? Hollering at hot chicks?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Investors pumped billions into suburbs that Calgary-based developer never built

:allears:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

At least the Conservatives are straight up admitting that they're lying about Trudeau in their ads.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

A land speculation scam based in Calgary??? Well, I never...

A distant relative of mine was a Calgary developer during the initial land grab in the early 1900s. He did actually deliver houses, but there's a minor detail that the subdivision is on the confluence of the Bow and Elbow rivers. :surfsup:

Census list him as a contractor for twenty years, the same period he was also the city's Director of Public Works. For some reason he died a very rich man.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

“When you look at the broader issues that Bill C-69 (is) raising, it will stop future access to tidewater and that will then stop any growth in Canada,” Tonken, who is also chairman of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers, told reporters at a news conference.

Other oilpatch leaders had a similar message.

“We’re disappointed and concerned that this bill jeopardizes future development,” Suncor CEO Mark Little said in a statement.

THAT'S THE loving POINT YOU TOADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The assassin's guild lobbying against anti-murder legislation