Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

drrockso20 posted:

Actually that brings up a good question, how the Hell did Master Asia use the system without one of those suits, only other character to do so was that mummy and he was reanimated by DG Cells so they probably filled that role, while Master Asia explicitly doesn't have those in his body

The Undefeated of the East is just that drat good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Actually that brings up a good question, how the Hell did Master Asia use the system without one of those suits, only other character to do so was that mummy and he was reanimated by DG Cells so they probably filled that role, while Master Asia explicitly doesn't have those in his body

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gundam wiki posted:

Like other mobile fighters, the Master Gundam uses a Mobile Trace cockpit, optimizing it for hand to hand combat and martial arts. However, Master Asia's ability to synchronize with his mobile suit is so high that he does not need most of the standard equipment, most notably the body-glove interface. Simply being in the cockpit gives the ability to control his mobile fighter, as well as to feel the hits it takes.

so yes Kung Fu Magic

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Whenever you have a question like that for G Gundam, a wizard martial artist did it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yinlock posted:

so yes Kung Fu Magic

It's called qi.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drrockso20 posted:

He was just that good at kung fu.

Alternately he has it built into his normal clothes using advanced Devil Gundam technology. Something something nanomachines.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
The ending theme for CCA popped up on an old playlist I'm listing too on my old ipod and I forgot how much I legit love it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Whenever you have a question like that for G Gundam, a wizard martial artist did it.

The series gets better every time I go back to it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
its a love letter to wuxia, but with robots

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think it was only Domon that had the really tight suit, no one else had that much trouble getting theirs on

Rain and Fuunsaiki did at the very least. I think Allenby is the only one who acted like putting it on was a breeze.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

tsob posted:

Rain and Fuunsaiki did at the very least. I think Allenby is the only one who acted like putting it on was a breeze.

Sai Saici never showed any discomfort either. He just sat there and it took no time. This should start at 0:47 for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jQUS1QFNPI&t=47s

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think it was only Domon that had the really tight suit, no one else had that much trouble getting theirs on

Stupid sexy Domon.

Feels like I’m punching nothing at all!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the suit is actually entirely unnecessary and the mobile trace system developer is just a weird pervert

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They treat the mobile trace system differently from episode to episode. Sometimes it's Domon or Rain grunting and straining in pain just to get the thing on, or so dangerous that if a kid tries to use it it will literally shatter their entire skeleton. Sometimes it's a non-issue. Sometimes it's a hamhanded magical girl transformation reference re: Allenby.

Kung Fu Magic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

OptimusShr posted:

Sai Saici never showed any discomfort either. He just sat there and it took no time. This should start at 0:47 for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jQUS1QFNPI&t=47s

The Japanese voice actor does put a deliberate stress in his voice when doing that same scene. It comes off more like he's just better at dealing with that pain, where Domon embraces it. George's original voice actor puts some stress in his voice too, though Argo doesn't in the one episode I checked. Then again, given his personality and physique, it wouldn't surprise me if he was just enduring the pain without issue. I couldn't find any episode showing Chibodee put on his, rather than it just cutting to him in it, but they all have tight outfits that seem like they're pulling taut in the same way when they're put on and I'm pretty sure Chibodee warns about how putting one on without training could kill you in the episode where a kid tries to steal his Gundam.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I think it's less pain and more just a struggle to put the thing on

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yinlock posted:

I think it's less pain and more just a struggle to put the thing on

If putting it on can break your bones without training, then I'm pretty sure it's actual pain.

That aside, I was recently linked to this video on YouTube about the history of the UC, which is pretty interesting. It's apparently made up of various shorts from DVD extras, and I'm just wondering does anyone know if there's any other ones? The fact it's called "More About the Universal Century" implies there's other ones.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 14, 2019

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

tsob posted:

If putting it on can break your bones without training, then I'm pretty sure it's actual pain.

Yeah there's that episode where rain pilots the shining gundam and she's getting crippled by the suit being applied.

Edit: although I remember the depiction of that being weirdly sexual so maybe she was having a good time.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah there's that episode where rain pilots the shining gundam and she's getting crippled by the suit being applied.

Edit: although I remember the depiction of that being weirdly sexual so maybe she was the animators were having a good time.

Ftfy. I just assume it's horny animators by default with this stuff.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Edit: although I remember the depiction of that being weirdly sexual so maybe she was having a good time.

The answer is "Probably both."

I understood Rain and Domon's arc, but I can never get over just how uncomfortable it made me overall. I preferred watching Domon and Allenby because everyone makes it drat clear that she and Domon are always on equal footing. For what amounts to a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, she's handled very well, even while getting done dirty by Wong and the designers of the Berserker System.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tsob posted:

a trained weightlifter could lift something heavy easily while I would blow out my entire rear end trying

I assumed the mobile trace struggle is just being strong enough to bust through the dumb ring, otherwise Bad Things happen

Warmachine posted:

I understood Rain and Domon's arc, but I can never get over just how uncomfortable it made me overall. I preferred watching Domon and Allenby because everyone makes it drat clear that she and Domon are always on equal footing. For what amounts to a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, she's handled very well, even while getting done dirty by Wong and the designers of the Berserker System.

she also gave us a name for the ironclad rule of mecha anime love triangles: Allenby Never Wins

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 15, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I feel the opposite TBH. She and Domon are equal physically but that's about it. Their relationship never feels particularly equal to me and the idea of them ending up together feels really crappy and creepy and massively unhealthy for everyone involved.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I feel the opposite TBH. She and Domon are equal physically but that's about it. Their relationship never feels particularly equal to me and the idea of them ending up together feels really crappy and creepy and massively unhealthy for everyone involved.

I don't quite get it, aside from the obvious elements of her being a Four. A large part of why she can stand on her own is the whole "fighting spirit" thing the show bangs on about. It's the newtype magic of G Gundam. I do see the codependency warning signs though, but that's a pretty typical newtype magic thing. We very rarely get to see characters work that out because the Four generally dies before it can be resolved. The only time I can think of where there's maybe newtype magic involved and the woman in the equation doesn't get fridged is Riddhe and Mineva.

They work out the issue in the end, but Riddhe leaves a fuckload of damage in his wake. Is that what you're seeing here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I don't quite get it, aside from the obvious elements of her being a Four. A large part of why she can stand on her own is the whole "fighting spirit" thing the show bangs on about. It's the newtype magic of G Gundam. I do see the codependency warning signs though, but that's a pretty typical newtype magic thing. We very rarely get to see characters work that out because the Four generally dies before it can be resolved. The only time I can think of where there's maybe newtype magic involved and the woman in the equation doesn't get fridged is Riddhe and Mineva.

They work out the issue in the end, but Riddhe leaves a fuckload of damage in his wake. Is that what you're seeing here?

Allenby's relationship with Domon is somewhere between friends, mentor/student and brother/sister. That is part of why they have fun interactions but the power dynamic is always off because there's that level of inequality there even at the start. When you add in Allenby's entire "I literally can't stop longing after Domon" thing and all the Four stuff and it's honestly pretty uncomfortable as the basis for a relationship. There's a reason her resolution is forcing herself to get over Domon who she knows doesn't share her feelings.

A major difference between them and someone like Four/Kamille or whatnot is that Four/Kamille have a level of equality which I think helps balance out the weirdness a bit. Or if you want a very similar example (for intentional reasons), Reiji and Aila are basically hitting the same notes but without quite the same sense of inequality. (Though of course they have their own writing issues.)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

why is the exia getting all the 40th anniversary love anyway

shouldn't it be, y'know, the actual gundam

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Exia killed the OG gundam and took it's place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Exia killed the OG gundam and took it's place.

Literally :v:.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like the Exia better than the 00 and 00-Quanta.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I find myself thinking I'd like the 00 more if its base form got more exposure, the double chestnut shoulders is real unique and basically disappeared with the Raiser

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MonsieurChoc posted:

Agreed, at least for the base models, the 00 and Quanta both gain some points for the zany possibilities that come from equipping them with all their optional equipment at once though*

*technically the Quanta only has a couple pieces of dedicated extra equipment, but at least going by the model kits it's compatible with most of the 00's as well

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warmachine posted:

Warmachine posted:

I'm actually really curious what about Rain and Domon's relationship makes you uncomfortable. It's honestly one of the most realistic and progressive relationships that I think is reasonably possible to see in a kung fu parody Gundam show made in the 90s.

I love Allenby, but her relationship with Domon basically boils down to a one-sided childhood crush built entirely on the foundation of Domon being the first person to A. treat her as a human being and B. teach her that fighting can be fun and good. At no point is Domon really shown to feel any pangs of attraction to Allenby and is instead content to view her as a friend/rival/pupil - almost every time the two of them interact he's either competing with her like he competes with the rest of the Shuffles, saving her from something, or trying to teach her a lesson(like how fighting fairly without tricks is awesome). Allenby can stand on equal footing with Domon as a fighter, but she can't complete him the way that Rain does.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yinlock posted:

why is the exia getting all the 40th anniversary love anyway

shouldn't it be, y'know, the actual gundam

On the JRA advertisement at least, I imagine it's because the target audience probably grew up with 00.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like the starting Exia form, where it's just packing the gauntlet sword/beam gun over its full Seven Swords loadout, myself. Just a nice and simple design.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really like the R3 as well. a Switchblade gun is just so dumb. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

I really like the R3 as well. a Switchblade gun is just so dumb. :allears:

The only thing I want out of a custom/Build iteration of an Exia is just double-switchblades.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Make the legs knives too.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

jackhunter64 posted:

Exia but with a Mack Knife's lower body?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

jackhunter64 posted:

The legs combine to make an even bigger knife.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Exia but with a Mack Knife's lower body?

Better, the Elf Bullock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So the Exia if it was also the AGE-1 Razor.