Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Deptfordx posted:

Turn 1, first thing to move, my allied Urbanmech walks forward and casually one-shots it in the head.

Classic urbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Does Battletech have a memory leak problem?

The load times seem to grow outrageous in a long session.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, I think so.

Once load times start to get annoying I just close it and relaunch. Usually only gets bad when I've been playing for more than 3 hours, at which point it's really time to turn it off for a bit and at least do something else for half an hour anyways.

Like shitpost about how I want more maps.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Deptfordx posted:

The urban maps seem to load waaay slower than the other maps, for some reason. I guess the buildings?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Usually only gets bad when I've been playing for more than 3 hours, at which point it's really time to turn it off for a bit and at least do something else for half an hour anyways.

But Mommmmm! I don't wanna go outside. I wanna play with my stompy robotz.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OAquinas posted:

The urban maps seem to load waaay slower than the other maps, for some reason. I guess the buildings?

The urban maps are also one of the first ones to look really gorgeous and seem super dynamic with the camera. Really goddamned well done.

I usually dont' screenshot games but I was scrambling to slap this one. I just barely missed getting the missile contrails from that Griffin shooting at me :argh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deptfordx posted:

Almost any game written in unity does.

Is there a consensus agreement on the difficulty settings? I don't remember them being there before.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don't know about consensus but here's my thinking:

First off, I run non-iron man. I'm game for it in some games where recovering from failure is more doable (the various paradox strat games for example) but BT can be a little unforgiving and frankly I'm half in it for Soccer Merc Manager 2k18. I don't load or save in-mission because that way lies save scumming madness, but if a mission goes totally pear shaped I'm not opposed to redoing it.

If you're running non-iron man pilot death and mech destruction are no-brainers as you can save scum away those. If you're running ironman that would seem pretty rough.

I run 5 pieces of salvage. It slows down the power curve a bit and makes it so you don't just get an assault surprise dumped in your lap when you still have mediums.

I run slowed exp, but not slowest. Again, that makes leveling people up a more thoughtful process but it isn't so slow that you don't have decent gunners by the time you get a heavy.

Normal salvage and pay.

Default enemy force strength.

Rare items in salvage. Having to decide if you want that piece that will give you a new heavy or that +++ AC20 is half the fun.

All that gives me a game where progression feels meaningful but it isn't so punishing as to not be fun.

YMMY, etc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ironman, CT Destruction, Hard comps, Better Mechwarriors show up more often (no real reason and you never lose enough pilots to matter it's just lame seeing nothing but recruits for all of time). I leave it at 3 salvage because whatever. Everything else default - lethality means knowing for sure someone's hosed which takes some of the fun out and no rare parts means knowing nothing exciting's coming but mech parts which also takes some fun out.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I like to run 4 pieces of salvage, not because of difficulty, but because it means if you kill a Mech by double legging it you're half way to having one. So double leg the same Mech twice and you get one. I just think it feels right somehow.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

I picked up Crypt of the Necrodancer recently and I thought what if Necrodancer but Mechs. Dekker would pilot the hard mode mech where you die in one hit.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I will loving cut you

:pgi: flashbacks here

Ghost Crabs, Ghost Heat, Ghost Guns... I'll take none of it, thank you.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Q_res posted:

I like to run 4 pieces of salvage, not because of difficulty, but because it means if you kill a Mech by double legging it you're half way to having one. So double leg the same Mech twice and you get one. I just think it feels right somehow.

Yeah, I like 4 part salvage, hard++ in mission forces, and generous pay/salvage. I like most of the difficulty to be in the tactical game, which can be sorta easy when the AI doesn't ever get customized mechs.

I do think at least 4 part salvage is pretty important to keep you from just exploding too fast with a lucky early heavy/assault headshot, but I think much over that gets super tedious if you have a ton of extra mechpacks but don't run one of the mods that lets you combine variant pieces to assemble mechs. You'd end up spending forever with like 3/5 or 4/5 parts on 7+ mech variants but no complete ones.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I feel like clean pilot kills should give you the whole mech as a single item, but otherwise salvaging mechs should take more parts. Clean pilot kills are hard enough to do, especially in the early game, that getting the whole mech don't unbalance things unless you have an insane string of good luck.

Plus it's just such a good feeling when you get a clean pilot kill on a mech you really really want. And hey, "logicaly" the mech ISN'T in pieces, you just need to hose the blood out of the hole where the pilot was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BeAuMaN posted:

I picked up Crypt of the Necrodancer recently and I thought what if Necrodancer but Mechs. Dekker would pilot the hard mode mech where you die in one hit.

Crypt of the Mechrodancer was right there, man.

I think that Mechs should require less mech-specific salvage parts in total but require salvaging a chassis for that model. CT and legs don't change much if at all between versions. If you core a mech you can't salvage a chassis, if you double leg it then you can for a fee, but in either case you can pick up the other bits.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 13, 2019

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Has anyone been crashing more than usual since the most recent patch? I had two almost back to back when loading/leaving maps. Crash log seems to indicate referencing an invalid memory address, so maybe my RAM is going bad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nope. Just the normal unity memory leak

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I've had like 2 random crashes so far, not sure if they're the same or different than any I had before.

The mod that lets you spin your mech in mechbay is delightful, by the way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

I've had like 2 random crashes so far, not sure if they're the same or different than any I had before.

The mod that lets you spin your mech in mechbay is delightful, by the way.

I've had crashes around loading into the urban maps. They're really badly optimized or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I've had crashes around loading into the urban maps. They're really badly optimized or something.

I think it's the sheer number of objects they need to track. Not just the destroyable buildings (which each have their own HP pool) but also all the little destroyable objects in the landscape. Like the fifteen cars I step on every time I walk down a street. I don't have crashes or anything, but it sure gives me a noticable hit to load times and makes my frame rate drop. My system's decidedly mid-tier but not bad (i5, 16gb ram, gtx970, game installed on SSD).

That said, the urban maps are so great I preferentially seek them out performance hit be damned. Everything from the look to the tactical considerations of those gently caress off huge buildings to the verticality of the map re: jump jets, to the way intersecting and criss crossing roads create choke points and barriers to the little bits like fountains being mini-lakes as far as cooling goes is just perfect. Plus they look great too.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Hoooooly poo poo. Just did an attack and defend mission.

"Defend the base and take the other base" -- sure, sounds straightforward. Nice twist on base attack/defend missions, let's do it.

Drop in, check the goals..."Don't lose buildings, blow up theirs...blow up the turrets...defeat the attacking force...defeat the defending force...defeat reinforcement waves 1....2....3???"

My lance of 4 unassisted mechs had to deal with a total enemy force of 20 mechs, and the reinforcement waves are timed by the round, so at one point I had 10 enemies swarming because I wasn't killing them fast enough.

My Orion with a +3 defense gyro was legged and nearly got cored (lost the gyro) and the pilot had one health pip left. My LRM highlander got popsicle sticked and nearly cored. My black knight was nearly legged and lost an arm. Racked up about 30 days of repair time with a fully upgraded mechlab.

Still managed to kill everything though. :clint:

Apparently you can theoretically win by just killing the enemy base/turrets, the attacking lance, and then bugging out, but I don't see how you could do that without a PPC of +5 headshots.

Love the new challenges though!

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, it's not related to specs, or at least it shouldn't be. I'm running a current gen i5 as well, with a gtx 1070, 16 gigs of RAM, and am also on an SSD. I'm hoping it's just a fluke.

I plan to just uninstall and reinstall fresh tonight and see if that helps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where do you do attack/defend missions? I haven't seen any yet and it sounds like the only real challenge left for the Crab Crew

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

After playing the first mission of the Joint Ventures flashpoint (the one with the Hatchetman) with no sweat a few months ago in Campaign mode, I figured I'd have an easy time of it too when I ran into the same flashpoint early in Career Mode. You know the drill - spread out your Mechs along the route, wait until everyone's in place before entering the APC trigger zone, then dogpile the enemies when they spawn.

Easy-peasy, right?

Not when the OpFor reinforcements include a Raven and two Trebuchets hiding under ECM.

That combo nearly wrecked my medium-light lance until I got close enough to fire on the Raven and get a couple of lucky crits on its ECM. Even then, I ended up with a dead Vindicator pilot and another Vindie that was down to head+CT+one leg.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm about to do the flashpoint mission where you control a Raven for the first time... and realized I have no idea how to move/position units to get the most out of the ECM effects. Obviously you want to keep your mechs inside the ECM bubble, but other than that I have no idea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

I'm about to do the flashpoint mission where you control a Raven for the first time... and realized I have no idea how to move/position units to get the most out of the ECM effects. Obviously you want to keep your mechs inside the ECM bubble, but other than that I have no idea.

That's about it, and also use the buildings to break los so turrets won't shoot you anyway.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

sean10mm posted:

Stick your three non-Raven mechs on the edge of the circle nearest the enemy, reserve all your mechs until phase 1 because unless there are enemy mechs that also move in phase 1 they literally won't be able to return fire, instead the enemy mechs will move + Brace towards you every round (no sprinting) so you can just back your lances off a couple of spaces and fire each time, they'll eventually close the gap but by that point they should have no limbs left and you can often bodyblock any remaining threats from getting into your Sphere of Perfect Invisibility.

Really, for the early-to-midgame ECM is downright broken. It goes from gamebreakingly powerful to almost useless once you start facing superheavy vehicles and assault mechs though.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

NatasDog posted:

Has anyone been crashing more than usual since the most recent patch? I had two almost back to back when loading/leaving maps. Crash log seems to indicate referencing an invalid memory address, so maybe my RAM is going bad.
With the most recent patch, I have been having repeated screen freezes. I can still click on things though, so I memorized where save and quit were.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I hadn't had any problems playing for 6 or so hours, but now I've had two three screen freezes in the last ten minutes.

Mounting evidence suggests that this is actually caused by a windows update loving me but good. Battletech is innocent.

Hawgh fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 13, 2019

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Almost any game written in unity does.

Is there a consensus agreement on the difficulty settings? I don't remember them being there before.

I run 5 part mech salvage, hard opfor, stingy pay / salvage, mech destruction, rare advanced pilots and slow exp growth. I like my campaigns to go on for a while and extend out the phases of the game. Once you have an all-star and backup lance the end game is essentially won

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, I like 4 part salvage, hard++ in mission forces, and generous pay/salvage. I like most of the difficulty to be in the tactical game, which can be sorta easy when the AI doesn't ever get customized mechs.

I do think at least 4 part salvage is pretty important to keep you from just exploding too fast with a lucky early heavy/assault headshot, but I think much over that gets super tedious if you have a ton of extra mechpacks but don't run one of the mods that lets you combine variant pieces to assemble mechs. You'd end up spending forever with like 3/5 or 4/5 parts on 7+ mech variants but no complete ones.

What I've found helps with the extra mech variants problem is to play a mod that puts them into the faction specific opfors. That way if you're trying to find a particular part you can stay in the general region to do so. I used to get annoyed with merging variants when it would give me the wrong one

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well that was a hard fought mission. Lost a mech, but that pilots pretty tough and my other battered mechs will be repairab................Oh i see they haven't fixed that end of mission bug where the incoming drop ship blows up all your mechs if it happens to land on the same area.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Well that was a hard fought mission. Lost a mech, but that pilots pretty tough and my other battered mechs will be repairab................Oh i see they haven't fixed that end of mission bug where the incoming drop ship blows up all your mechs if it happens to land on the same area.

That's not a bug lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why can't I tell my own Leopard to land on the other team and instantly win

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You resize they flag that with giant red warning beacons on the hexes right?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

You resize they flag that with giant red warning beacons on the hexes right?

He probably does now~

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Uh-huh. Before everyone gets all aboard the "LOL Train".

You know those missions where there isn't a clearly marked evac point given.

Where it's kill this, or clear this or whatever and then the mission just ends and your drop ship comes flying down unpredictably on the map with no warning where it's going to be.

Yeah those can kill your mechs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Where it's kill this, or clear this or whatever and then the mission just ends and your drop ship comes flying down unpredictably on the map with no warning where it's going to be.

I’ve yet to see one of those unmarked. Plenty of missions I’ve found a random patch of “don’t stand here rear end in a top hat” and gone oh, I bet that’s the end of mission evac.

Any mods that might be loving something up?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

Among all of Dekker's countless deaths, "flattened by Sumire" will always be my favorite.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dropships only appear on the map to kill your mechs by landing on them. That is their sole impact on the game.

It is bad gameplay and either the killzone should go or they should only appear on missions where 'get to the dropship' is a real thing and not a pretend objective where you just kill the two last enemy mechs instead and auto-end.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’ve yet to see one of those unmarked. Plenty of missions I’ve found a random patch of “don’t stand here rear end in a top hat” and gone oh, I bet that’s the end of mission evac.

Any mods that might be loving something up?

Hmm. I am running a couple. I went in and rechecked the mission, and nope it's not marked.

Also checked online and some people are saying the steel claw flashpoint is buggy with mods.

So :shrug: i guess.

Edit: Ok, so I checked another mission and there definitely wasn't the red warning zone where it should be, so I reckon a mod is definitely breaking something somewhere, but it's going to have to wait till tommorow before I have time to try and work out which. Will report back later if i find out what was doing it.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh wow. I can't believe it took me this long to discover this, given that I've played hundreds of hours with this mech build.

Want an easy way to harvest enemy mechs?

Grasshopper with your typical laser vom build. All the ML and SL you can cram in it, JJ, armor, and fill the rest with HS.

Jump in front of your target with a pilot that has max tactics.

Aim for the head.

Each one rolls separately (unlike missiles) and with that many small weapons going off at once chances are at least a few will head shot. If you're using a lot of ++ dam SLs and MLs head armor being what it is you'll probably nuke the enemy mech.

I just headshotted a KC, Battlemaster, and Cyclops Z in the same mission after I figured that out.