Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Dead Reckoning posted:

But PDs and ER docs sign up knowing that they are going to be called upon to provide treatment to horrible dirtbags. You're saying it's not OK for a doctor to agree to be Weinstein's personal physician because he's a monster, but if he has a heart attack and gets brought into the ED, it's not just acceptable but morally virtuous for a doctor there to take heroic measures to save his life, even if that doctor knows full well who Harvey Weinstein is? Why does stepping the moral choice back a remove and not knowing which particular dirtbag's life you will save somehow change the calculus?
ER doctors and public defenders both provide a vital public service that would be severely and fundamentally compromised if they discriminated between clients. Private lawyers are defined by their ability to discriminate between clients and I expect them to use that discretion wisely and well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

twodot posted:

ER doctors and public defenders both provide a vital public service that would be severely and fundamentally compromised if they discriminated between clients. Private lawyers are defined by their ability to discriminate between clients and I expect them to use that discretion wisely and well.
You keep switching back and forth between an outcomes based morality and an intent based one.

If the outcome is what is important, your argument makes no sense. If the intent of the lawyers is important, then there is no reason why a lawyer in private practice can't pick and choose what cases are most compatible with their practice and caseload in the service of the larger idea that everyone deserves legal representation. Do you think physicians should refuse to serve clients at their practice that the public finds objectionable?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 13, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

twodot posted:

Yeah they are discerning about which clients will make them the most money / exposure / improve their brand.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

It also said that the inadequacy of defense counsel was a cause

I'll post this again, since the point I tried to get across unsuccessfully was that a single-state, 1978 study of one kind of case (burglary) is less representative than a nation-wide study of every kind of case.

blarzgh posted:

https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=772
https://imgur.com/nAbeYSL
https://imgur.com/I0QvWaF
(Can't get images to post?)

In fact, PD's are slightly better at getting plea deals, slightly better at getting not-guiltys and significantly better at getting reduced sentences than private attorneys are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

blarzgh posted:

I'll post this again, since the point I tried to get across unsuccessfully was that a single-state, 1978 study of one kind of case (burglary) is less representative than a nation-wide study of every kind of case.

VitalSigns posted:

in which case banning private lawyers would be an unambiguous gain for society through efficiency savings if nothing else.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

But PDs and ER docs sign up knowing that they are going to be called upon to provide aid to horrible dirtbags. You're saying it's not OK for a doctor to agree to be Weinstein's personal physician because he's a monster, but if he has a heart attack and gets brought into the ED, it's not just acceptable but morally virtuous for a doctor there to take heroic measures to save his life, even if that doctor knows full well who Harvey Weinstein is? Why does stepping the moral choice back a remove and not knowing which particular dirtbag's life you will save somehow change the calculus?

Are you seriously struggling with the moral calculus that something you do when you have the discretion to not do it, and something you do when you have no choice are different situations?

I blame the people who wrote the laws to carry out the war on drugs more than I blame the people who carry out the law because they'll be unemployed and starving if they don't. Does this baffle you.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

ER doctors and public defenders both provide a vital public service that would be severely and fundamentally compromised if they discriminated between clients.

Private attorneys provide the exact same vital public service to people who don't qualify for a public defender.

Just to get myself clear on what you actually believe:

1. If you, personally, are super sure someone is guilty, then you think every private attorney is morally compelled to decline to represent them?

2. Because every private attorney in your world now refuses to represent them, you believe that states should foot the bill for the expense of every one of these people who are "super guilty" in your estimation, and force a public defender to perform the "immoral task" of representing these people?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blarzgh posted:

ok fine you've convinced me, ban private defense counsel then and give everyone a PD because anything else is a scam and should be illegal. You win!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

VitalSigns posted:

This is obviously not true because private lawyers are entitled to turn down clients.

Not necessarily in criminal matters. If someone pressed for a particular attorney and he did not have good cause to deny representation, they may be compelled by the court to do so.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that's bad.

But also, if he couldn't obtain counsel because those mean and nasty Harvard kids were so uncivil, he would pretty obviously have a sixth amendment claim if the state said "well you aren't poor so go pro se"

Just because he isn't eligible for PD doesn't mean he'd have to go pro se. If every private defense attorney turned him down, the court would ask him who he wanted, and then assign the case to that attorney. In order for the attorney to decline representation at that point, they'd have to demonstrate good cause and no prejudice to Weinstein or that the attorney's advice was being used for unlawful acts. Weinstein would have to pay the attorney his regular rate.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Are you seriously struggling with the moral calculus that something you do when you have the discretion to not do it, and something you do when you have no choice are different situations?
Why does the moral remove of saying you'll aid any dirtbag that happens to be assigned to you, rather than a particular dirtbag, change the moral calculus?

VitalSigns posted:

I blame the people who wrote the laws to carry out the war on drugs more than I blame the people who carry out the law because they'll be unemployed and starving if they don't. Does this baffle you.

VitalSigns posted:

ok fine you've convinced me, ban private defense counsel then and give everyone a PD because anything else is a scam and should be illegal. You win!
VitalSigns arguing for a degree of moral absolution for police officers and prison guards for the policies they carry out, because a man's gotta eat, and for a legal system that prohibits the activities of the ACLU, FIRE and The Innocence Project. Truly a red-letter day for the forums. Have you though through this at all and tried to reconcile it with your other professed beliefs?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 13, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blarzgh posted:

1. If you, personally, are super sure someone is guilty, then you think every private attorney is morally compelled to decline to represent them?
No. In fact I don't care whether Weinstein is guilty or innocent, I don't want him to get special treatment from the courts either way.

I think private attorneys shouldn't be profiting off a parallel justice system just for the rich where you pay money to escape justice. I recognize you think this doesn't exist and it's just a coincidence that income and outcome are correlated. If I were convinced of that then I wouldn't think Sullivan is a scumbag (for this, obviously he still is for other reasons like claiming rape is made up)

blarzgh posted:

2. Because every private attorney in your world now refuses to represent them, you believe that states should foot the bill for the expense of every one of these people who are "super guilty" in your estimation, and force a public defender to perform the "immoral task" of representing these people?

No I think the rich should foot the bill for everyone including them getting a PD through a system of progressive taxation. But yes nominally it will be the state "footing the bill" I suppose since they're signing the checks but I want them to get the money from the place they normally get the money: taxes.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

If the outcome is what is important, your argument makes no sense. If the intent of the lawyers is important, then there is no reason why a lawyer in private practice can't pick and choose what cases are most compatible with their practice and caseload in the service of the larger idea that everyone deserves legal representation.
Private lawyers are not acting in service of that idea. That is a thing you made up. Public defenders are the ones dedicated to making sure everyone gets legal representation. Private lawyers are offering a legal service which can be obtained from a variety of places in exchange for money.

quote:

Do you think physicians should refuse to serve clients at their practice that the public finds objectionable?
If they know their client is a horrible monster they should refuse non-emergency service. Like are you telling me that if you are a physician and Weinstein walks into your door, you're going to think "Here's a person I want to live a long healthy and strong life"? If nothing else it seems like there is a conflict of interests you couldn't avoid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

VitalSigns arguing for a degree of moral absolution for police officers and prison guards for the policies they carry out, because a man's gotta eat, and for a legal system that prohibits the activities of the ACLU, FIRE and The Innocence Project. Truly a red-letter day for the forums. Have you though through this at all and tried to reconcile it with your other professed beliefs?

Guillotine for the politicans, firing squad for the police?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think those activities should be illegal, I think they should be greatly expanded with adequate funding so every defendant gets the benefit of the investigations those organizations do.

I feel like I've said that before but maybe not so I'll say it now. Or maybe I did say it and you're resorting to illogical gotchas because your position is a shambles.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think those activities should be illegal, I think they should be greatly expanded with adequate funding so every defendant gets the benefit of the investigations those organizations do.
In what way do you think you can reconcile the continued activities of those organizations with a prohibition on the private defense bar?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

The rule is that everyone is entitled to an attorney. The rule is old-school, and designed as a check against the State. People can represent themselves if they want, or they can hire an attorney.

However, it is so important that people have an attorney, as a check against the power of the State, that the State is required to provide them one if they can't afford it. Broadly, you have to remember that the Lawyer's duty is not only to the client, to give them the best possible representation, but the lawyer's duty is also to the public at large, to make the State do its job before taking away the freedom of its citizens. Its not up to the lawyer (edit: and not the public at large, either) to decide "how much" representation people need - it is up to defense attorneys to keep the all-powerful government in check.

If every lawyer just rolled over whenever they were pretty sure their client was guilty, (or simply started deciding whether or not to represent detestable people) then the front line against an authoritarian government who prosecutes anyone and everyone at will, collapses. Its not the defense lawyer's job to decide who is innocent and who is guilty and help the prosecution when they see fit. Its the defense lawyer's job to be a check on the powers of the executive. Thats why constitutional violations are punished by suppressing evidence obtained through those violations. If there were no defense lawyers to punish those violations (by preventing convictions obtained through those violations) then the protections themselves would become meaningless.

twodot posted:

Private lawyers are not acting in service of that idea. That is a thing you made up. Public defenders are the ones dedicated to making sure everyone gets legal representation. Private lawyers are offering a legal service which can be obtained from a variety of places in exchange for money.

If they know their client is a horrible monster they should refuse non-emergency service. Like are you telling me that if you are a physician and Weinstein walks into your door, you're going to think "Here's a person I want to live a long healthy and strong life"? If nothing else it seems like there is a conflict of interests you couldn't avoid.

Ok, this dude is literally advocating for doctors to start practicing execution by inaction on people the Doctor is "super sure" are bad.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Private attorneys provide the exact same vital public service to people who don't qualify for a public defender.

Just to get myself clear on what you actually believe:

No I think people are specifically morally compelled to decline to represent Weinstein.

quote:

Ideally we would find a way for rich people to pay for it. But if a rich horrible monster shows up to court and says "I'm such a horrible monster no lawyer will take my money" obviously we got to force some lawyer to defend them. How we pay for that is of no great concern to me.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

There is literally no way you'd agree to this sort of absolute moral authority for any other public servant, like, I don't know, a police officer.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

No I think people are specifically morally compelled to decline to represent Weinstein.

Me: Why?
You: Because he definitely did the things he's accused of.
Me: Then

blarzgh posted:

You: No.
You: Beca

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Apparently the lawyers are morally absolved if we go through the kabuki of making every single eligible lawyer denounce Weinstein and then force one to take his case.

twodot posted:

Aside from the super hosed up idea that medical professionals should withhold care from people they don't like unless they're literally and imminently dying in front of them, what happens when all non-emergency clinics south of the Mason-Dixon start refusing service to people they find morally objectionable?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

There is literally no way you'd agree to this sort of absolute moral authority for any other public servant, like, I don't know, a police officer.
Private lawyers are not public servants.

blarzgh posted:

You: Because he definitely did the things he's accused of.
Me: Then
Cool words I never said.
edit:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Aside from the super hosed up idea that medical professionals should withhold care from people they don't like unless they're literally and imminently dying in front of them, what happens when all non-emergency clinics south of the Mason-Dixon start refusing service to people they find morally objectionable?
Medical professionals withhold care from family members because of emotional factors, I don't see why doctors shouldn't have a similarly strong emotional reaction to literally enabling Weinstein. I don't know how your made up hypothetical plays out why don't you tell me?

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 13, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Ideally we would find a way for rich people to pay for it. But if a rich horrible monster shows up to court and says "I'm such a horrible monster no lawyer will take my money" obviously we got to force some lawyer to defend them. How we pay for that is of no great concern to me.

And who gets to sit on this panel of "horrible monster adjudications"? Just you? or do you have some twitter followers who will do it as well? Maybe about 12 of yall could get together first before deciding, and, I don't know, look at the evidence or something together and listen to the people involved tell their stories? You'd want to put them under oath so that they don't lie, of course. And you'd want some rules about what evidence you could look at, so your decisions aren't colored by irrelevant, or unfairly prejudicial facts.

Maybe you could get a 13th person to, oh, I don't know, "judge" the proceedings? To make sure the rules are followed.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

In what way do you think you can reconcile the continued activities of those organizations with a prohibition on the private defense bar?

Because I don't believe it should be prohibited, I believe that the public defense should be so well-funded that hiring private lawyers would be redundant and no one would bother. I have said that many times. In an expanded public system the people doing private defense work now, including people working for the ACLU, would just get hired by the government with its huge demand for lawyers. Whether they would work directly for the government or whether they'd work for their existing firms/organizations which the government would hire is an implementation question and I'm willing to entertain arguments either way.

I have also said that if blzargh's argument is true, and private lawyers are universally inferior to private lawyers no matter how expensive the lawyers and how much investigation they do, then the logical conclusion is that they are a fraud and should be illegal to protect the public. So either way blzargh is (or logically should be) agreeing with me that PD's for everyone is the way to go.

I do not believe blzargh's argument is true, so therefore I do not accept the conclusions that logically follow from that. Does that clear things up?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Post hoc rationalization sure is a powerful thing ain't it

You can't simultaneously say "everyone deserves a lawyer" and also "except that dude". Well I mean you *can* but it's not logically consistent.

If the job would be moral for an assigned pd it's also moral for a private unassigned pd. That's like claiming it's immoral to be paid well to clean toilets but moral if you're assigned to clean toilets as an unpaid intern. Same job same toilet either way.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Private lawyers are not public servants.

Cool words I never said.

NeoBulletDodge.gif

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If the job would be moral for an assigned pd it's also moral for a private unassigned pd. That's like claiming it's immoral to be paid well to clean toilets but moral if you're assigned to clean toilets as an unpaid intern. Same job same toilet either way.

This persistent pretense of equivalence between a duty of service as part of a truly universal system as a necessary function of maintaining that universal system, vs picking and choosing as to sustain a deeply unequal system, is really gross and intellectually dishonest. Or maybe just dumb I dunno.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 13, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

And who gets to sit on this panel of "horrible monster adjudications"? Just you? or do you have some twitter followers who will do it as well? Maybe about 12 of yall could get together first before deciding, and, I don't know, look at the evidence or something together and listen to the people involved tell their stories? You'd want to put them under oath so that they don't lie, of course. And you'd want some rules about what evidence you could look at, so your decisions aren't colored by irrelevant, or unfairly prejudicial facts.

Maybe you could get a 13th person to, oh, I don't know, "judge" the proceedings? To make sure the rules are followed.
The only person who gets to sit on the panel of "Who does twodot think is a horrible monster" is me, and I get to make the rules. You can come to different conclusions from me, but if you want to litigate is Harvey Weinstein a monster I suggest a different thread.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

This persistent pretense that a duty of service as part of a truly universal system as a necessary function of maintaining that universal system, vs picking and choosing as to sustain a deeply unequal system, is really gross and intellectually dishonest. Or maybe just dumb I dunno.

Its the latter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blarzgh posted:

The rule is that everyone is entitled to an attorney. The rule is old-school, and designed as a check against the State. People can represent themselves if they want, or they can hire an attorney.

However, it is so important that people have an attorney, as a check against the power of the State, that the State is required to provide them one if they can't afford it. Broadly, you have to remember that the Lawyer's duty is not only to the client, to give them the best possible representation, but the lawyer's duty is also to the public at large, to make the State do its job before taking away the freedom of its citizens. Its not up to the lawyer (edit: and not the public at large, either) to decide "how much" representation people need - it is up to defense attorneys to keep the all-powerful government in check.

Yeah but your argument is that these lawyers aren't doing as good a job as lawyers appointed by the state. Since the basic assumption of our adversarial justice system is that we get the most just outcomes when the best possible defense goes up against the best possible prosecution, then we could create a more just system by giving everyone a lawyer appointed by the state. Or at least to give them that option.

"Ban private defense" is the logical conclusion of your argument, that private defense is never better than a PD. Although I suspect you don't really believe that since now you're arguing we need private defense counsels to keep from being railroaded by the unjust legal system (well I guess to keep the rich from being railroaded, obviously the poor are hosed under your model)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

This persistent pretense that a duty of service as part of a truly universal system as a necessary function of maintaining that universal system, vs picking and choosing as to sustain a deeply unequal system, is really gross and intellectually dishonest. Or maybe just dumb I dunno.

Look, all defense attorneys are participating in the legal system. Some of them are just paid more. They're all both helping to "sustain" it -- in the sense that each of us is "sustaining" capitalism by purchasing things -- and all equally working to protect against the worst excesses of it (by defending clients). They all made the same choice to become criminal defense attorneys. They all made the same choice to defend horrible people (if you're a public defender, you knew going in that most of your clients would be horrible people, unless you got lucky and specialize in juvenile or mentally ill defendants or something).

What's really consistent here is that the people objecting to the concept of private defense attorneys don't seem to really have that much grasp of the actual legal system as it actually operates.

VitalSigns posted:

"Ban private defense" is the logical conclusion of your argument, that private defense is never better than a PD. Although I suspect you don't really believe that since now you're arguing we need private defense counsels to keep from being railroaded by the unjust legal system (well I guess to keep the rich from being railroaded, obviously the poor are hosed under your model)

:shrug: this seems like a technically valid point but one that's substantively inane. Oh no the huge social ill of an attorney scamming wealthy criminal assholes by overcharging them for a market equivalent service!

Hell, the best private defense attorneys I've ever talked to were all very upfront with their clients that they probably couldn't help them that much, all they could do was slightly shift the odds for them at best.

I mean, sure, if you want to nationalize and systematize and unify the whole criminal defense bar . . . ok I guess, sure, but there are so many more important parts of the problem that that seems like an incredibly low priority.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 13, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blarzgh posted:

Police officers already have that authority
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look, all defense attorneys are participating in the legal system. Some of them are just paid more. They're all both helping to "sustain" it -- in the sense that each of us is "sustaining" capitalism by purchasing things -- and all equally working to protect against the worst excesses of it (by defending clients). They all made the same choice to become criminal defense attorneys. They all made the same choice to defend horrible people (if you're a public defender, you knew going in that most of your clients would be horrible people, unless you got lucky and specialize in juvenile or mentally ill defendants or something).

What's really consistent here is that the people objecting to the concept of private defense attorneys don't seem to really have that much grasp of the actual legal system as it actually operates.

Just maybe some of those people are more responsible than others?

Again stop pretending there is equivalence between literally every element of the system. There isn't.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Post hoc rationalization sure is a powerful thing ain't it

You can't simultaneously say "everyone deserves a lawyer" and also "except that dude". Well I mean you *can* but it's not logically consistent.

I don't think it's the same job though, so this reasoning doesn't apply.

I think defending a rich dude as part of a universal public service that everyone gets is different from defending a rich dude as part of a special separate justice-for-sale system where the rich get special treatment.

Since these are different jobs, ta-da I can have different opinions about them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

Just maybe some of those people are more responsible than others?

Again stop pretending there is equivalence between literally every element of the system. There isn't.

There's equivalence between private and public criminal defense attorneys for the most part, though. Like, as was pointed out above, they're usually even the same people just a decade or two older. You PD for a while then you go private. Nothing wrong with being on either side of that timeline.

AS was said above, people seem to be maintaining that there has to be some sort of kabuki ritual communal martyrdom process or some poo poo, it's ridiculous.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

blarzgh posted:

What non-emergency police services are relevant here?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah but your argument is that
No, I didn't make an argument, I showed you a fact: that having money to pay for a lawyer doesn't get you a better result in Court. Besides, PD's are only "better" than private lawyers by a percent or two here or there - its not significantly better one way or the other.

twodot posted:

The only person who gets to sit on the panel of "Who does twodot think is a horrible monster" is me, and I get to make the rules.

You still refuse to anchor yourself to a position (which I understand because you understand that you just super hate Harvey Weinstein, and were willing to make a bold proclamation about our entire justice system, but now refuse to back down about it and admit that you just super hate Harvey Weinstein) so I'm asking you directly:

1. If you, personally, are super sure someone is guilty, then do you think every private attorney is morally compelled to decline to represent them?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

There are two sorts of defense attorneys:
1) The sort that can't discriminate between clients
2) The sort that can discriminate between clients
We absolutely need the first sort because otherwise there's a lot of people no lawyer would defend, so I propose we give them a break. I'm asking that the sort the can discriminate between clients discriminate wisely and well and be held responsible for their choices.
edit:

blarzgh posted:

1. If you, personally, are super sure someone is guilty, then do you think every private attorney is morally compelled to decline to represent them?
Of course not. First because there are a large list of crimes I don't even think should be crimes. Secondly because even if we all agree the crime is bad, there a large list of circumstances that someone could think is very good to champion in court. Probably other reasons, I haven't really thought this all the way out because I never said anything of the sort.

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 13, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's equivalence between private and public criminal defense attorneys for the most part, though. Like, as was pointed out above, they're usually even the same people just a decade or two older. You PD for a while then you go private. Nothing wrong with being on either side of that timeline.

AS was said above, people seem to be maintaining that there has to be some sort of kabuki ritual communal martyrdom process or some poo poo, it's ridiculous.

No there absolutely is something wrong with being on the side of it that exists to protect the extremely bad power structure.

The same person might work as a shelf stacker or for the army, when they join the army they become a piece of poo poo HTH.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

twodot posted:

Medical professionals withhold care from family members because of emotional factors, I don't see why doctors shouldn't have a similarly strong emotional reaction to literally enabling Weinstein. I don't know how your made up hypothetical plays out why don't you tell me?
Gay and trans people become unable to receive medical care outside of going to the emergency room or driving 100+ miles, for a start.

Police not having a specific duty to every individual citizen is not the same thing as the police refusing to protect you because you are the Wrong Sort of Person, which is a model we are trying to move away from rather than enshrining it as a cool and good practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think it's the same job though, so this reasoning doesn't apply.

I think defending a rich dude as part of a universal public service that everyone gets is different from defending a rich dude as part of a special separate justice-for-sale system where the rich get special treatment.

Since these are different jobs, ta-da I can have different opinions about them.

yeah, that's the thing though, you're just factually wrong about that. You can think the moon is green cheese, it factually isn't. Similarly, there's just not that much difference between a public criminal defense attorney and a private criminal defense attorney. They're basically the same folks, they're just paid by different people.

Your first big factual error is the assumption that public criminal defense is a universal public service everyone gets; it isn't. Maybe it should be but it isn't currently.

Your second is assuming that even nationalizing the public defense bar would mean that the rich no longer got special treatment. The rich get special treatment because of a lot of different systemic biases our society has in their favor, of which being able to afford a private attorney is an extremely small part. It doesn't take a private defense attorney to get a judge to listen to an "affluenza" argument, it just takes a lovely judge.