Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Dead Reckoning posted:

Gay and trans people become unable to receive medical care outside of going to the emergency room or driving 100+ miles, for a start.
Well that sounds bad, I propose they should not do that.
edit:
Like for the millionth time, "If you call lawyers dirtbags, other bad people, will do other bad things" is no real argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

twodot posted:

Well that sounds bad, I propose they should not do that.
It is the inevitable result of a system where medical doctors refuse care for patients based on their moral judgments about them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

twodot posted:

There are two sorts of defense attorneys:
1) The sort that can't discriminate between clients
2) The sort that can discriminate between clients
We absolutely need the first sort because otherwise there's a lot of people no lawyer would defend, so I propose we give them a break. I'm asking that the sort the can discriminate between clients discriminate wisely and well and be held responsible for their choices.

twodot posted:

there's a lot of people no lawyer would defend

This is another flawed assumption. Again, folks are showing they really don't grok the whole concept of being a criminal defense attorney at all (private or public).

Criminal defense attorneys are gonna defend just about anybody. If they started discriminating between clients they'd not have any clients because virtually all criminal defense clients are absurdly horrible people, or at least people who have done horrible things. Private attorneys don't go around turning down messy unpleasant work because it's unpleasant. It's all unpleasant.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

It is the inevitable result of a system where medical doctors refuse care for patients based on their moral judgments about them.

A slippery slope that leads right to where we are today

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 13, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is another flawed assumption. Again, folks are showing they really don't grok the whole concept of being a criminal defense attorney at all (private or public).

Criminal defense attorneys are gonna defend just about anybody. If they started discriminating between clients they'd not have any clients because virtually all criminal defense clients are absurdly horrible people, or at least people who have done horrible things. Private attorneys don't go around turning down messy unpleasant work because it's unpleasant. It's all unpleasant.
I mean if you want to argue for the abolition of private criminal defense I will not fight you on it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Of course not. First because there are a large list of crimes I don't even think should be crimes. Secondly because even if we all agree the crime is bad, there a large list of circumstances that someone could think is very good to champion in court. Probably other reasons, I haven't really thought this all the way out because I never said anything of the sort.

okay, so are you saying that only if you are super sure that someone is super guilty of a crime that you actually think is bad, and there's no other circumstances that someone should champion in court, then in that case all private defense attorney should decline the represent them?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

twodot posted:

I mean if you want to argue for the abolition of private criminal defense I will not fight you on it.

It's a real good list on the last page of things to also work on while we do that. Thanks HA

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

This. Also there are ethical rules in places that do not allow attorneys to really turn people down people at will.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 13, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Real weird that there's all these lawyers desperate to argue why they aren't assholes.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

okay, so are you saying that only if you are super sure that someone is super guilty of a crime that you actually think is bad, and there's no other circumstances that someone should champion in court, then in that case all private defense attorney should decline the represent them?
No I am not saying that and have not said that. That is a short list of easy reasons it would be definitely good to represent someone. There are presumably even more reasons it would definitely ok, and even more reasons where it would be ambiguous enough that I would argue no one should really care one way or the other. What I am saying and what I have said is there are specific individual instances where we can identify it's definitely not ok to publicly support monsters including choosing to be their personal private defense lawyer.
edit:

OwlFancier posted:

Real weird that there's all these lawyers desperate to argue why they aren't assholes.
My favorite part is when the lawyers argue that the lawyer guild has absolved them of responsibility and we non-lawyers need to respect the decisions of the lawyer guild.

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 13, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

No I am not saying that and have not said that. That is a short list of easy reasons it would be definitely ok to represent someone. There are presumably even more reasons it would definitely ok, and even more reasons where it would be ambiguous enough that I would argue no one should really care one way or the other. What I am saying and what I have said is there are specific individual instances where we can identify it's definitely not ok to publicly support monsters including choosing to be their personal private defense lawyer.
edit:

My favorite part is when the lawyers argue that the lawyer guild has absolved them of responsibility and we non-lawyers need to respect the decisions of the lawyer guild.

okay, then why don't you elaborate and explain to me what those specific circumstances are where we, as society, get to the side that someone He's the kind of person that privates criminal defense attorneys to decline the represent.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I know it looks like I'm posting like I'm having a stroke, but bear with me because it's talk to text while I play with my kid

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

A slippery slope that leads right to where we are today
Assuming that's even true, are you saying that this is a good state of affairs that we should enshrine as public policy?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 13, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

okay, then why don't you elaborate and explain to me what those specific circumstances are where we, as society, get to the side that someone He's the kind of person that privates criminal defense attorneys to decline the represent.
Nah. This thread is about whether it is appropriate to judge lawyers for their clients, and I'm not going to bother to draft an ECMA specification on how to judge lawyers for their clients until there is agreement that we should.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
How about this: we can all say Weinstein gets no representation, but it's a non-precedential decision like bush v gore.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

How about this: we can all say Weinstein gets no representation, but it's a non-precedential decision like bush v gore.

I don't think anyone has said he shouldn't get representation. Just that it should be only by appointment.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This. Also there are ethical rules in places that do not allow attorneys to really turn people down people at will.

As long as they have the money

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not a private attorney. All the attorneys are arguing with you because they understand the system and you're making fundamental errors which show you don't.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

twodot posted:

Nah. This thread is about whether it is appropriate to judge lawyers for their clients, and I'm not going to bother to draft an ECMA specification on how to judge lawyers for their clients until there is agreement that we should.

Criminal defense lawyers practically and ethically really don't have a choice in whether or not to represent a client. It would be nifty if that wasn't the world we lived in, but it is. It's either represent the clients that want you (as they're constitutionally entitled to) or don't be an attorney.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I'm not a private attorney. All the attorneys are arguing with you because they understand the system and you're making fundamental errors which show you don't.

He understands it. He's saying it's bad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't think anyone has said he shouldn't get representation. Just that it should be only by appointment.

As others have said though that's Kabuki. You can't shame people for doing a job when you admit *someone* needs to do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the main contention I'm making is that the system is bad cos of the effects it has and none of the lawyers have actually managed or even attempted to dispute that they just prattle on about how hard done by they are.

Which i mean is what I expect from a lawyer but y'know, still funny :v:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Criminal defense lawyers practically and ethically really don't have a choice in whether or not to represent a client. It would be nifty if that wasn't the world we lived in, but it is. It's either represent the clients that want you (as they're constitutionally entitled to) or don't be an attorney.
Obviously I can only criticize choices to the extent that they are a choice. Is it your opinion Weinstein's lawyers had no choice but to accept him as a client?
edit:

As others have said though that's Kabuki. You can't shame people for doing a job when you admit *someone* needs to do it.
I absolutely can. Garbage removal is an absolutely vital service we all need. No one needs to sign up to be Weinstein's personal garbage removal service.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the main contention I'm making is that the system is bad cos of the effects it has and none of the lawyers have actually managed or even attempted to dispute that they just prattle on about how hard done by they are.

Which i mean is what I expect from a lawyer but y'know, still funny :v:

The system is terrible and you want to make it worse, because you’re a chud or fascist making a threadbare egalitarian argument about the way the world should be, in order to dehumanize and attack people who actually live in it right now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Everyone has already said that it's not appropriate to judge lawyers because of their clients. You're taking the position that it is, but refused to articulate under what circumstances it should be and why those circumstances justify your position.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

twodot posted:

I absolutely can. Garbage removal is an absolutely vital service we all need. No one needs to sign up to be Weinstein's personal garbage removal service.

Until we have a new universal defense system in place, which isn't happening any time soon. . . Yeah, *someone* does.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

twodot posted:

Obviously I can only criticize choices to the extent that they are a choice. Is it your opinion Weinstein's lawyers had no choice but to accept him as a client?

I'd have to look up his state ethics rules to find out exactly what his obligations are there, but as a practical matter, lawyers that turn down paying customers aren't lawyers for long. The vast majority of criminal defendants are there because they did something awful.

The choice as a criminal defense attorney is represent almost any person that comes in or don't be a criminal defense attorney. There are good cause reasons to decline representation and are exceptions in the ethical rules. None of them are "because he's a monster" because that's true of a significant chunk of criminal defendants.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 13, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Everyone has already said that it's not appropriate to judge lawyers because of their clients. You're taking the position that it is, but refused to articulate under what circumstances it should be and why those circumstances justify your position.
Ok for the purpose of this thread, it is my belief that exactly Weinstein should be shunned, and I'm not aware of any other people or circumstances that warrant it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yeah, that's the thing though, you're just factually wrong about that. You can think the moon is green cheese, it factually isn't. Similarly, there's just not that much difference between a public criminal defense attorney and a private criminal defense attorney. They're basically the same folks, they're just paid by different people.
No I am right, time spent on cases, the amount of research they can do, their connections, all make a difference. Money pays for more than just the name, that's why the rich are willing to pay

Your first big factual error is the assumption that public criminal defense is a universal public service everyone gets; it isn't. Maybe it should be but it isn't currently.

No I have never said that, that is a strawman someone else made up.

I know rich people can't say "I want to save money, gimme a free lawyer", what I said is that saying Sullivan is a scumbag does not deny Weinstein his right to counsel, even if every lawyer refused to take his money, he would be able to get one. Even if the State said no he would obviously prevail in sixth amendment claim

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

blarzgh posted:

Yup. A lot of folks itt made a decision and are post hoc rationalizating it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also I definitely not getting this concept that the government should force public defenders to do this quote unquote morally improper thing, because it is wrong to allow privately compensated attorneys to do the thing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Ok for the purpose of this thread, it is my belief that exactly Weinstein should be shunned, and I'm not aware of any other people or circumstances that warrant it.

Why?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

No I am right, time spent on cases, the amount of research they can do, their connections, all make a difference. Money pays for more than just the name, that's why the rich are willing to pay

No, you are wrong. I understand that you've got a position to take, and you've got an emotional need to take that position, but it's not supported by the facts

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Also I definitely not getting this concept that the government should force public defenders to do this quote unquote morally improper thing, because it is wrong to allow privately compensated attorneys to do the thing.
Seeking out to help a horrible monster is bad. Defending a horrible monster because you are a member of a public service whose purpose is to ensure everyone has legal representation is good.
I'm a human being with limited cognitive abilities and that's the only person and circumstances I could come up with. If you want a smarter answer you'll have to come up with it yourself. I assume you can't blame me for wanting to be overly cautious on this issue.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

blarzgh posted:

No, you are wrong. I understand that you've got a position to take, and you've got an emotional need to take that position, but it's not supported by the facts

You don't think money spent on legal defense affects the outcome?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

Seeking out to help a horrible monster is bad. Defending a horrible monster because you are a member of a public service whose purpose is to ensure everyone has legal representation is good.

I'm a human being with limited cognitive abilities and that's the only person and circumstances I could come up with. If you want a smarter answer you'll have to come up with it yourself. I assume you can't blame me for wanting to be overly cautious on this issue.

So the government tells you to murder a kitten it's not morally bad, but if you just choose to for financial gain that it is?

Are you really espousing the idea that you can convert something that's morally bad into something morally good by having the government tell you to do it?

And at this point I understand you're refusing to commit yourself to a position with respect to Harvey Weinstein but you should appreciate that I'm a lot more stubborn than I really should be and I'm going to continue to try and get you to admit but the reason you think Harvey Weinstein should be shunned by criminal defense attorneys is because you personally think he's guilty of something you think is bad enough to warrant said shunning

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

You don't think money spent on legal defense affects the outcome?

I don't know where you came in this thread, but search my posts and it's one of the second or third things I posted.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

blarzgh posted:

I don't know where you came in this thread, but search my posts and it's one of the second or third things I posted.

I'm making sure I'm clear because it seems really counterintuitive given the general agreement from everyone, I thought, that public defenders need to be properly funded.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm making sure I'm clear because it seems really counterintuitive given the general agreement from everyone, I thought, that public defenders need to be properly funded.

Public defenders are underfunded for sure and should get more funding. They need to pay better to help keep good lawyers there. They are always going to be understaffed and overworked, though, because it's a hard loving job.

But PD vs private attorney largely does not change the outcome.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Public defenders are underfunded for sure and should get more funding. They need to pay better to help keep good lawyers there. They are always going to be understaffed and overworked, though, because it's a hard loving job.

I agree that's why I think it's a problem that lawyers can turn clients away for inability to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twodot posted:

Every accused rapist is accused of rape. What special thing did he do that doesn’t apply to anyone that would be in court at all?