Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zeroisanumber posted:

Can we actually tell definitively that a certain skull is from a particular race? Because that sounds a little unlikely to me, but I don't know jackshit about forensics so...

To a certain extent. The article itself even admits only a 80% success rate in distinguishing American white vs American black people, which is not amazing. Basically the study says that with some confidence you can determine the race of a person from the skull rather than purely biological, non-bone features.

It's an example of a far right publication posting something with a wink and a nod toward nazis, because they know what people will draw from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

technically it’s ephebometry

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
"I'm just pointing out that there are racial differences!" I say as I adjust my death's head pin.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

This is mostly because the US men's soccer team is garbo and often gets beat by random Central American countries and knocked out of tournaments before they start. Conversely, those countries barely spend any money on Women's soccer teams so the Americans have one of the best.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wonder how long till dumb gently caress andy ngo agrees to be the subject of a good old skull measuring article on quillette

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Well yeah, the US Women's team isn't an embarrassing joke like the US Men's team.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Someone would have to care about the us men’s soccer team for it to be embarrassing

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This is mostly because the US men's soccer team is garbo and often gets beat by random Central American countries and knocked out of tournaments before they start. Conversely, those countries barely spend any money on Women's soccer teams so the Americans have one of the best.

Well, yeah. That doesn't mean that woman athletes should be paid less.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

coathat posted:

Someone would have to care about the us men’s soccer team for it to be embarrassing

Yeah, try being an American who doesn't care about the World Cup while living in a country that does and you'll learn just how false this statement is.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Quack pseudoscience about "blacks have smaller skulls, smaller brains, are intellectually inferior" is old as the hills, and any conservative outlets talking about ~craniometry~ are absolutely dog whistling that.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Excuse me are you people besmirching the honor of Jozy Altidore

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my skull is shaped and sized like a mangosteen which is why i post on something awful

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
AFAIK the only valid use of measuring skulls is in things like forensic anthropology and I guess paleoanthropology when you have to classify human ancestors without the luxury of DNA analysis and are literally dealing with different species of hominids.

Vincent Van Goatse has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Jun 13, 2019

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
My giant whiteman brain allows me to post genius things that a simple man of the negro persuasion cannot ken

Now let me tell you how immigrants are simultaneously stealing are welfare while taking all are jobs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Basically unless you're reconstructing someone's face as part of a criminal investigation or a museum exhibit or categorizing fossils of distant human ancestors there's just not much actual insight to be gained by measuring people's skull sizes beyond, say, "population X generally have skull measurements in a range between fee fie fo and fum", which ultimately signifies nothing except different people have different skulls.

Vincent Van Goatse has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Jun 14, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Well yeah

That's why it's funny that the guy is trying to credit the USMNT with "generating" 6 billion dollars

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Poniard posted:

my skull is shaped and sized like a mangosteen which is why i post on something awful

wow that's a nice coincidence, my skull smells and tastes like a mangosteen

if we can find someone with a skull that feels like a mangosteen i think we can form captain mangosteen

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

as a genius conservative, I've figured out the solution to twitter's leftist tyranny: a social media outlet FOR CONSERVATIVES

https://mobile.twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1138907860547624960

Sure there was that whole thing with gab but THIS time it will be different! I can feel it.

time for another goon project

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:stare:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lots of white people in Japan hate seeing other foreigners.

*wakes up, looks in mirror*

Who the gently caress is this gaijin?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goast posted:

Well, yeah. That doesn't mean that woman athletes should be paid less.

The notion that people are paid in line with their "productivity" is a myth anyway. Professional athletes only get paid well because of unions and athlete leagues that can set a market rate for their labor. If they're in a field that doesn't have those, then the only way to get paid is through endorsement deals.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1138102505089523712?s=19

https://twitter.com/esrasmn/status/1139237702258372608?s=19

Luv2liv in hellworld 2019

the best of all possible timelines:smith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The notion that people are paid in line with their "productivity" is a myth anyway. Professional athletes only get paid well because of unions and athlete leagues that can set a market rate for their labor. If they're in a field that doesn't have those, then the only way to get paid is through endorsement deals.

Even then the union is only really effective if it's a relatively small and irreplaceable pool of talent. The most powerful union is the NBA player's association, and its membership is only 450 players. The NFL union is a loving joke.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lots of white people in Japan hate seeing other foreigners.

not a joke a actually, never forgot the time i read the story of one of these chuds being an english teacher in tokyo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Race Realists posted:

not a joke a actually, never forgot the time i read the story of one of these chuds being an english teacher in tokyo

Being an English teacher in Tokyo seems like the worst career path if you want to avoid other white people in pure & glorious Nippon.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Japan: right wing nationalists desperate for workers to exploit increase foreign worker cap
white foreign worker: SJW's at it again, this place has gone to the dogs

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1139297099777007616?s=19

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Flesh Forge posted:

Quack pseudoscience about "blacks have smaller skulls, smaller brains, are intellectually inferior" is old as the hills, and any conservative outlets talking about ~craniometry~ are absolutely dog whistling that.

I've never seen anything that convinces me intelligence is even important beyond a binary sufficient/not-sufficient. Even if IQ was accurate and meaningful I don't see how say 10 IQ points would even matter once you're over a somewhat low threshold. The spread of raw, for the lack of a better term, processing power we have doesn't seem to vary anywhere near enough above a certain point to overcome things like attitudes, knowledge, practice, and biases and whatnot. Intelligence largely strikes me as just more meritocracy bullshit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phigs posted:

I've never seen anything that convinces me intelligence is even important beyond a binary sufficient/not-sufficient. Even if IQ was accurate and meaningful I don't see how say 10 IQ points would even matter once you're over a somewhat low threshold. The spread of raw, for the lack of a better term, processing power we have doesn't seem to vary anywhere near enough above a certain point to overcome things like attitudes, knowledge, practice, and biases and whatnot. Intelligence largely strikes me as just more meritocracy bullshit.

look at this low iq haver right here

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phigs posted:

IQ is horseshit in adults, but it can be useful in kids, which is why all the tests are *designed to be done by kids*

Important thing to remember is that IQ is not a value for how much you know, it is a test of how well you learn. So if a child gets a lower score they might need to be given more assistance. The thing the IQ idiots always get wrong is that your ability to learn is irrelevant if you aren't learning anything. A man with a low IQ that reads philosophy books is more intelligent than a man with a high IQ that just argues with people online.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Phigs posted:

IQ was specifically developed as a way to quantify racist ideas of intelligence differences between races soooooooooo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phigs posted:

nobody who claims that intelligence is both vital and easily determined can actually explain what intelligence is beyond "the ability to score well on IQ tests"

I do a lot of hiring and and have for almost 2 decades and lemme tell ya, emotional intelligence is absolutely superior to IQ for all but some niche stuff

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This is mostly because the US men's soccer team is garbo and often gets beat by random Central American countries and knocked out of tournaments before they start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9z0j-8MUPg

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1139306065395421185

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Whenever people refer to my intelligence I always correct them: I am clever like a raccoon, not smart like an octopus. You can't hide your garbage from me, but give me an IQ test and it'll be covered in raccoon urine by the time you get it back.
Or "street smarts vs book smarts" but mine has a raccoon.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
how does that compare to possum smarts

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

are u maxwell smart, or derek smart

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

*wakes up, looks in mirror*

Who the gently caress is this gaijin?

That gif of the guy asking the mirror “I’m...retarded?” but its kanji

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“That guy” is Scott Bakula, you philistine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

reinstated btw