Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FlamingLiberal posted:

I swear i saw something saying they were Iranian tankers but I guess I misread it

Iranian ships carried out rescue operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OhFunny posted:

Iranian ships carried out rescue operations.

which you won't hear on American media, I heard both Fox and CNN say the US did the rescue and it was proof of how noble and good putting our war ships in the area actually is.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Was this protected by Patriot systems?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

which you won't hear on American media, I heard both Fox and CNN say the US did the rescue and it was proof of how noble and good putting our war ships in the area actually is.

I read that both Iran and the US claimed to have done rescue operations.

Its tricky because these events transpired out at sea, where there aren't really witnesses or much evidence left laying around.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Dutch news is saying a nearby Dutch owned vessel rescued the crew of one of the tankers and then transfered them to a US warship. This is coming from the shipping company itself. A civilian vessel being the closest to assist is much more likely by sheer numbers.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Please don't use Dailysabah as an authoritative source @posters ITT thanks :3

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
The best part about all this is that the entire MIC will suppress any of its own intelligence pointing to a Saudi or Russian false flag because they’ve all wanted to go to war with Iran for 20 years

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What reason would Iran have with current environment to gain from attacking tankers in Gulf?

I cannot think of any reason whatsoever at all. Also, does anyone know of military history forums? I know there have been some huge effort posts outlining how a war between the US with Iran or North Korea would likely play out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Iran has less than zero reason to stage provocative attacks such as these, but they have dumbass hardliners too so its possible this was some rogue Iranian agency. Not very possible, but there's only so many groups in the Middle East with the ability to attach limpet mines to tankers without being seen.

My guess is KSA or even someone from Netanyahu's gang of shitheads.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
CNN is saying now that the US military has released a video showing the false flag I mean Iranian Revolutionary Guard attack on the Oil tankers. But of course CNN isn't showing the video for some reason.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Iran has less than zero reason to stage provocative attacks such as these, but they have dumbass hardliners too so its possible this was some rogue Iranian agency. Not very possible, but there's only so many groups in the Middle East with the ability to attach limpet mines to tankers without being seen.

My guess is KSA or even someone from Netanyahu's gang of shitheads.

Iran involvement probability seems low. They just read trumps preparing talks so why go after tankers? If they wanted to make a threat theyd start enacting searches on all vessels traveling hormuz. Theyre not doing that.

Is iranian support for the houthis drying up in a significant way? If so shooting a few bombs in every direction tankers airportsto stirr continued conflict makes strategic sense.

--

Also Us releasing video of iranians recovering mine?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

If they wanted to make a threat theyd start enacting searches on all vessels traveling hormuz. Theyre not doing that.

That would very literally be more provocative and likely to cause a war than ambiguous attacks with bombs and poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Charliegrs posted:

CNN is saying now that the US military has released a video showing the false flag I mean Iranian Revolutionary Guard attack on the Oil tankers. But of course CNN isn't showing the video for some reason.
It's a banger of a video, literally a boat full of cartoon 'middle eastern guys' just casually removing a mine from the ship as you do with your boys

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mlmp08 posted:

That would very literally be more provocative and likely to cause a war than ambiguous attacks with bombs and poo poo.

Thats my point. The Iranians dont want create a conflict CNN is potentially blaming the iranians for this. I think thats horseshit

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

sexpig by night posted:

a boat full of cartoon 'middle eastern guys'

That's a pretty messed up thing to say about the dudes on that boat, wtf?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

The video is of Iranians removing a mine after the attack, presumably UXO.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Iran involvement probability seems low. They just read trumps preparing talks so why go after tankers? If they wanted to make a threat theyd start enacting searches on all vessels traveling hormuz. Theyre not doing that.

Is iranian support for the houthis drying up in a significant way? If so shooting a few bombs in every direction tankers airportsto stirr continued conflict makes strategic sense.

I honest to God think this is somebody's attempt at a false flag, thought I can't for the life of me decide who because it's such a bullshit James Bond scenario only it's happening in real life.

And for some strange reason CENTCOM doesn't seem to be on the same page as Pompeo.

https://twitter.com/natsecwatson/status/1139296106792280065

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

I doubt it's a false flag, at least not one ordered by high-level authorities. Generally the idea behind false flag attacks is to do something extremely provocative, fabricate evidence that can conclusively blame it on the other side, and then rush to war before other actors can figure out what is going on, as in the Nazi false flag on the Polish border to kick off WWII. It doesn't make sense to do with drip-drip-drip of non-fatal attacks on neutral shipping. If it is a false-flag its by someone without the resources to go all the way.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the video
https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/1139346296341508096

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It's neat that this video clears up absolutely nothing, because the IRGC boat crew in that video could be either removing that limpet mine to cover up their involvement or because they're honestly trying to assist by removing explosives from a civilian ship. It all depends on what you want to argue.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I doubt Iran is going to argue that. They'll probably say the video is fabricated or not of Iranians, if they address it at all.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 14, 2019

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
With Trump making anti-Iran threats for months, why the hell would Iran start poo poo before their own front door? They'd be loving mad. And then a dumb thing like this... This is the dumbest false-flag I ever saw, if they go to war over this they better not be angry that their allies refuse help.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The video is at least consistent with where the US claimed the mine was placed in the other photos it shared:

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 14, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xenthalon posted:

This is the dumbest false-flag I ever saw, if they go to war over this they better not be angry that their allies refuse help.

If they start another war over this poo poo I hope America receives a revival of, uh, meteorological enthusiasts. You know, the oldschool, late 60s kind. Satirically speaking.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
An attack on foreign ships with no casualties and minor damage isn't even going to rise above the ho hum of the 24 hour news cycle. It must be exhausting being sure that a war with Iran is imminent for a decade straight.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Volkerball posted:

An attack on foreign ships with no casualties and minor damage isn't even going to rise above the ho hum of the 24 hour news cycle. It must be exhausting being sure that a war with Iran is imminent for a decade straight.

The people pushing for that war seem inexhaustible.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like the boat matches to Iranian forces too

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1139434348640440321

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Of course it does. The people fabricating this poo poo are probably very good at it.

Or I guess maybe the Iranian military is the dumbest group of people on earth.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1139396139482959874

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why am I not at all surprised by Brown Moses once again shilling for western war mongers

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Is there anything incorrect about what I've shared?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Is there anything incorrect about what I've shared?

So the Iran would risk contaminating the area due to releasing oil/chemicals from these tankers that would hit their country the hardest?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm not a mindreader, so I can't comment on that, but the information available shows a vessel with a extremely strong resemblance to an Iranian patrol craft removing an item from the side of one of the vessels attacked, and one of the vessels owners has stated the crew said an Iranian vessel was nearby. Now it could be the Iranians didn't set the mines, but saw an unexploded mine and removed it for their own analysis, and didn't inform the wider world that they had done that, or it could be they had planted the mines and were trying to remove evidence. At this point it's impossible to say which scenario is true, but the Iranians really need to put out a statement soon about the US recording that's better than "it's fake news".

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why would they have to do that, it seems pretty drat obvious that the video is fake news.

Who benefits from Iran planting bombs in the straight of Hormuz? Iran certainly doesn't, but it's drat welcome across the ocean for the people that have been calling for war for months. Funny how that works out

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Why do you believe the video is fake?

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Who took that video? Why would the Iranians use one of their easiely identifiable boats to commit acts of sabotage while under surveillance?

Either someone wants to pin this on the Iranians, or someone in Iran is provoking the U.S. to do something stupid. It all needs some careful examination.

ganglysumbia fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 14, 2019

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I dont think its fake in the sense that it isnt showing an Iranian ship, they like other nations were sending ships to the tankers to rescue the crew and bring them to nearby harbours, the ship in the video has much more people aboard than what you would expect from a boot of that size which would prove that (that they have taken in crew members)

edit: apparently the japanese crew of the Kokuka Courageous saw flying objects just before the attacks which sounds like drones to me

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 14, 2019

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Because it makes no sense for the Iranians to be planting mines in the strait and it only party it benefits is the Americans warmongers who have been trying to find a justification for a strike on Iran for months.

I bet you believe the North Vietnamese attacked the Americans in the gulf of Tonkin too

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A Typical Goon posted:

Because it makes no sense for the Iranians to be planting mines in the strait and it only party it benefits is the Americans warmongers who have been trying to find a justification for a strike on Iran for months.

I bet you believe the North Vietnamese attacked the Americans in the gulf of Tonkin too

I'm not saying they planted the mines, for all anyone knows they could have spotted the mine and decided to take it for their own analysis. You're the one jumping to conclusions here, not me. Also, "this is fake because it doesn't fit my worldview" is a pretty dumb take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I'm not saying they planted the mines, for all anyone knows they could have spotted the mine and decided to take it for their own analysis. You're the one jumping to conclusions here, not me.

we dont actually see in the video whats there, for all we know it could be something the boat is using to tow itself to the tanker and help rescue the crew and then unmount themselves after they were done