Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

The first one, just unlocked the central forge/shop and the ability to return to it from any other gate. Just after meeting the Witch. It's just last time I tried to play the game I got as far as the first other dimension with the flying guys that like to try to slam you and got stuck, so I'm exploring more thoroughly this time so that I have more of an edge.

You can't really get an edge until you get back from Alfheim, unfortunately. If you've gotten Tyr's Gauntlets, that's the best armor piece available that early. Check chests aling the way for Drakeskin pieces - the double-sleeve armors boosting Runic and Cooldown are the best options.

Get lots of Runic attacks and spam them and that'll carry you through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The whole level up system really dragged down GoW for me because you can actually just bust chops by getting better at the game, and all the Runic abilities are just stuff you find throughout on gear or whatever. Like every single cool part of the gear grind could just have been a cool "pommel" that you found by beating a boss you found on the main path or like a side boss you busted chops on cos you were teaching your kid how to bust chops responsibly.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Whoops I didn't explain why it dragged the game down: it dragged the game down cos it was dumb suit poo poo that the dumb suits thought the game had to have because all games now have level progressions because that's what the kids like, I say as a 60 year old suit wearing Bateman piece of poo poo garbage sifter who just keeps on keeping on somehow, like this shuddering dinosaur of capitalism

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Byzantine posted:

You can't really get an edge until you get back from Alfheim, unfortunately. If you've gotten Tyr's Gauntlets, that's the best armor piece available that early. Check chests aling the way for Drakeskin pieces - the double-sleeve armors boosting Runic and Cooldown are the best options.

Get lots of Runic attacks and spam them and that'll carry you through.

It's just frustrating because the game allows you to start these quests really early, and they are cool, like the Dragon at the former dwarf kingdom, but it's throwing level 4 enemies at me, or level 5 if I wanna break Thor's statue. I want to free that dragon game, don't tease me, Kratos and Atreus deserve a pet!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

It's just frustrating because the game allows you to start these quests really early, and they are cool, like the Dragon at the former dwarf kingdom, but it's throwing level 4 enemies at me, or level 5 if I wanna break Thor's statue. I want to free that dragon game, don't tease me, Kratos and Atreus deserve a pet!

Breaking the statue gets you Tyr's Gauntlets. You can lure the enemies to the boat and then run around it and use it as cover while you chip away with arrows and axe throws.

TDTGD: The GOD OF WAR having to Benny Hill around a boat because the mean ol generic zombie will kill him in a single hit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I didn't do the stuff that required higher levels, but I have found some armour pieces that boost cooldown and runic and equipped those, as they give relatively high boosts (8->11 is a bigger relative boost than 30->34 axe damage) and I'm back in Alfheim, so hopefully I can get past those drat rock things that I got stuck on last time. They give less exp, but I didn't have anything that would have got me to level 2 anyway, so that doesn't matter right now. I do like that you can see Jormungandr chilling out behind the temple, I like that he didn't just leave completely. He's kinda cute :3: Wanna cuddle the 3000 mile long snek.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dont bother boosting attack or defense specifically. Anything your level +1 or below is easy to kill, anything +2 or above will ignore your attacks and oneshot you.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Trick Question posted:

Witcher 3: this loving ghost boss

It just hovers outside of the circle that makes it take any damage at all and laughs at me. Then it splits into three and sucks all my blood out to recover any damage I've managed to do. Nothing else that I've been on the same level as has been nearly as infuriating. Can't bust this ghost!

The rest of the game seems occasionally annoying but pretty good.

Sounds like you're fighting Jenny of the Woods. It's legit one of the more difficult bosses in the game. No shame in coming back after you level a bit. In addition to Yrden, you can also use Moon Dust bombs and Spectre Oil. When she splits into three, immediately pick one and attack. The two clones should only take one hit to destroy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Dont bother boosting attack or defense specifically. Anything your level +1 or below is easy to kill, anything +2 or above will ignore your attacks and oneshot you.

Thanks for the tips. I do enjoy Kratos' characterisation as a combination of Grugg from The Croods (overprotective dad afraid of everything new, Kratos' non-aesop stories reminded me of that movie) and Megamind (so used to antagonism that people genuinely trying to help him/creatures not wanting to eat him leave him dazed and confused. If it doesn't want to fight, he probably doesn't know what to do with it.) I'm aware of the big twist behind Atreus already (that he's secretly Loki) as I read about it accidentally on the forums, but I'm expecting his overall interactions/arc with Kratos to go in one of these ways:

1)Kratos learns to soften as the narrative goes on, showing his love for his son as his son begins to get used to adventuring and manages to close his heart to having to kill bad humans
2)Kratos pushes Atreus too far, like maybe the Witch dies and he just responds with "Close your heart to it..." only for Atreus to erupt at him in anger because "What, you want me NOT to be sad that our best friend died? gently caress you you Monster!" Kratos tries to bury his emotions, but Atreus wants to feel them and refuses, forming a massive rift that Kratos needs to repair.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

10 Beers posted:

Sounds like you're fighting Jenny of the Woods. It's legit one of the more difficult bosses in the game. No shame in coming back after you level a bit. In addition to Yrden, you can also use Moon Dust bombs and Spectre Oil. When she splits into three, immediately pick one and attack. The two clones should only take one hit to destroy.

Haha as soon as I read Trick Question's post I smiled a little and thought "uh oh Jenny is still wreckin' nerds."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Breaking the statue gets you Tyr's Gauntlets. You can lure the enemies to the boat and then run around it and use it as cover while you chip away with arrows and axe throws.

TDTGD: The GOD OF WAR having to Benny Hill around a boat because the mean ol generic zombie will kill him in a single hit.

everything I read about this game makes it sound absolutely godawful

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It ended up being one of the best on the system for me despite a few aggravating sequences and my reservations about the crafting/upgrades and Dad Kratos, it's really good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why do roguelikes enjoy not telling you what you're picking up?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Because of the thrill of discovery™. It's more fun if you have to figure out yourself, obviously. Even if it's something that completely fucks up everything 99.9% of the time it's picked up (i'm looking at you, curse of the tower in Rebirth).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A lot of this is me, I imagine (I simply can't do fast-paced shooters, my accuracy is poo poo) but Borderlands 2 is bugging me because a lot of times I simply can't make out my enemies from the background. Like, yay, here's a generally-brown psycho running around a generally-brown shanty town. It's a lot more tolerable when the related name-and-health-bar thing shows above them, but I'm sitting here half the time playing the "what the gently caress is shooting at me" game.

Also, this is entirely unfair to the game, but man alive do I hate overly-complicated weapon systems, regardless of game. There's a reason why I have a WoW addon that takes all the "New Weapon is +2 to attack but -2 to accuracy and -.023 to coloration compared to Old Weapon" and boils it all down to a "this is 4% better item".

(sorry in advance if this winds up being a multi-post, I'm not sure if its on my end but the forums keep going down. Only going to press the button once, but you never know.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

A lot of this is me, I imagine (I simply can't do fast-paced shooters, my accuracy is poo poo) but Borderlands 2 is bugging me because a lot of times I simply can't make out my enemies from the background. Like, yay, here's a generally-brown psycho running around a generally-brown shanty town. It's a lot more tolerable when the related name-and-health-bar thing shows above them, but I'm sitting here half the time playing the "what the gently caress is shooting at me" game.

Also, this is entirely unfair to the game, but man alive do I hate overly-complicated weapon systems, regardless of game. There's a reason why I have a WoW addon that takes all the "New Weapon is +2 to attack but -2 to accuracy and -.023 to coloration compared to Old Weapon" and boils it all down to a "this is 4% better item".

(sorry in advance if this winds up being a multi-post, I'm not sure if its on my end but the forums keep going down. Only going to press the button once, but you never know.)
If these are what's bugging you about BL2 - and they're all legit complaints - then you will not enjoy the game. Because it has way more significant problems that will start becoming apparent in a few hours.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

If these are what's bugging you about BL2 - and they're all legit complaints - then you will not enjoy the game. Because it has way more significant problems that will start becoming apparent in a few hours.

Yeah, it's one of those games that I don't know when I got it (or why I got it), and every once in a while I decide to take a spin on it. At least one thing pops up to annoy me, I stop playing, and then then a year+ later I decide to play it for Reasons and then I immediately remember those (and more) and stop.

It always feels like I should be into it, and then... ugh, nope.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

everything I read about this game makes it sound absolutely godawful

That's pretty standard "I'm trying to fight an enemy that's a lot higher level than me" tactics.

Im not great at games like that, had never played a GoW game before, had no such issues and loved the game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Prey: I get that enemies respawn when you return to previous areas, but the sheer density of harder Typhon that show up when you backtrack to do a sidequest is overkill.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Roblo posted:

That's pretty standard "I'm trying to fight an enemy that's a lot higher level than me" tactics.

Im not great at games like that, had never played a GoW game before, had no such issues and loved the game.

I really enjoyed the game, but the fact that the amount of damage you do and take is based entirely on your level, and not stuff like attack or defense boosts, is a pain. You could in theory equip a bunch of stuff that does almost nothing to your attack and defense, but if it crosses the threshold to increase your level, your damage increases dramatically. It's dumb. Just have higher level monsters do more damage, forcing me to equip better defensive armor to keep up, or if I'm just good at the game I can ignore defense to try to do as much damage as possible, killing it before it kills me.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Jun 13, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Prey: I get that enemies respawn when you return to previous areas, but the sheer density of harder Typhon that show up when you backtrack to do a sidequest is overkill.

That's kinda what ended up killing it for me. It started to feel like half the time I was just busy making new shotgun shells because there are just so drat many highly resilient Typhon around to eat up all your ammo. A few times I ended up running out of ammo, tracked back to the nearest manufacturing machine to make a bunch, and by the time I managed to get back where I started I had already used up the lion's share of the ammo that I'd just made purely from enemies along the way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, having finally finished Yakuza Kiwami, I think my biggest issues with the game come down to the battle system. Which is weird, because I didn't have these issues in 0.

For a start, three out of four styles have Kiryu moving like a big chunky boy, which isn't so bad when you have the generous super armor and i-frames that 0 gives you. But in Kiwami? Nope, the lightest breeze stunlocks Kiryu now and every other attack will just knock him flat on his rear end. Or, if it doesn't knock him down, it'll shove you into a long animation where kiryu will jiggle like jell-o then slowly fall onto his face, taking damage the whole time. This is compounded with the fact that you have no real way to control which guy you're locked onto and you don't have any real means to get out of stunlock or enemy combos outside of, again, the one good style in the game now. In the end, group fights quickly stop being fun and dramatic because you'll hit a dude, then another guy will lightly brush kiryu's elbow bringing all momentum to a halt and then everyone takes turns stomping kiryu's poo poo in.

This is all balanced around Dragon of Dojima style just being gently caress all powerful. It has one attack that takes off entire life bars without much effort. Except the style its self still kind of sucks outside of that one skill, but if you prefer any of the other styles you have to slog through boss fights because they gave every enemy and boss way too much health to compensate normally. Also, every enemy can dodge way too much which makes counters the only really viable way to make combat not suck. You don't have any real way to stop them from dodging and they don't have any limit, unlike you who's dodges and dashes are limited based on your style and upgrade. Every enemy dodge makes them invincible and immune to everything while they dodge. And they'll just spam it for days until they hit you.

The most fun I had with this game's combat was using a fully upgraded Rush style against Mad Dog style Majima, I could dodge and react as quickly as he could and it was a very fun combat experience. Except the battle still took ages because he just had so much HP to work through. Then I unlocked the Tiger Drop and was beating harder forms of the same boss without getting touched in four button presses.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I've tried a second time and for the life of me I can't get into The Flame In the Flood.

Say what you like about the difficulty of game like The Long Dark: as punishing as it can be at least there's a sense of agency to what you're doing. With TFITF most of the time my deaths seem completely arbitrary, pointless, and unavoidable. Most recent game essentially boiled down to:

• Go to first available island.
  • Cut my hand harvesting the first plant I see.
  • No materials to make gauze with, can't bandage hand. Clock is now ticking.
  • Rapidly rush through as many lootable islands as fast as possible to try to find bandages/the materials to make them. Nothing.
  • Due to lack of bandages develop Staph infection requiring (very rare) Penicillin.
  • Continue to loot areas as fast as humanly possible.
  • Find no meds.
  • Die.

At no point during it did I feel any sense of player agency, instead I was completely at the whim of RNG. At least in The Long Dark I can decide "okay, I'm going to starve now, so I can make a choice to attack, kill, and eat that wolf, likely causing my damage and a possible infection with parasites, but I'm in pretty good condition and at least can survive in the short-term potentially long enough to formulate a plan to visit areas that are likely to have stuff that can allow me to heal".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

And if you get over that early game difficulty hump, all that stuff becomes meaningless. You'll learn how to avoid ants and spiked bushes. You'll have plenty of clean water and cooked food at all times. You won't get into needless scrapes and break your bones. So outside of the occasional bandage, you will need none of the medical supplies sitting in your storage.

I enjoyed The Flame In The Flood, but there was no tension after the first 3 hours. The biggest threat is the wolves at night, and you can just upgrade your raft with a tent so you can sleep until the wolves start sleeping.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're good to great games but yeah that's basically yakuzacombat.txt

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Kiwami 1 was a downgrade from 0 even though they use literally the same styles, they honestly messed it up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

They pronounce 'Aloysius' wrong throughout Vampyr.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MisterBibs posted:

Yup, that is a thing, a thing I mentioned in the post you forgot to read, presumably.

It'd be nice if I was anywhere close to anywhere with a shallow pool of mons like that, which I also mentioned.
I was just pointing it out cause I interpenetrated1 your post differently. Not every post you make has to be so on the attack dude, chill.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Necrothatcher posted:

They pronounce 'Aloysius' wrong throughout Vampyr.

AL-LOY-SEE-IS?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

AL-OH-ISH-US

(Vampyr pronounces it your way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NPwdweIzzI&t=46s

(should be cued to the right time)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Voice Director: Child me

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My username says "Inspector Gesicht" but is actually pronounced "Throatwobbler-Mangrove".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Samuringa posted:

Kiwami 1 was a downgrade from 0 even though they use literally the same styles, they honestly messed it up.

Rush Style felt better than in 0 by the end of Kiwami, but every other style felt like butt. But that might just be me not appreciating rush enough in 0. I look forward to Kiwami 2 though, after I take a break to avoid burn out from too much yakuza.

Also - the Amon fight in 0 was really stupid. But the fight in Kiwami was actually really fun, fast paced and tense. I liked that he did a poo poo ton of damage, but was stupidly fragile to compensate and only had one bullshit move instead of every move being bullshit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked Kiwami a lot, and didnt have the same problems a lot of people did (I breezed through the first Shimano fight for example, dude can never hit you if you've dump your points in Rush like I did :v:) but holy gently caress the fight with that gunslinger dude whose name I forget. He would roll around like crazy and have perfect accuracy while doing so, and every hit makes Kiryu fall down for like ten seconds.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, it's one of those games that I don't know when I got it (or why I got it), and every once in a while I decide to take a spin on it. At least one thing pops up to annoy me, I stop playing, and then then a year+ later I decide to play it for Reasons and then I immediately remember those (and more) and stop.

It always feels like I should be into it, and then... ugh, nope.
It's not you. I've spent a lot of time with the BL series because I have severe loot disease and I really like action-RPGs. It does some stuff I like a lot - and if you want a point of comparison to see what I mean, play Shadow Warrior 2 to see how badly a loot-FPS can be handled - but it's not actually a good series. In fact, I would argue strongly that it is a bad series.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So, having finally finished Yakuza Kiwami, I think my biggest issues with the game come down to the battle system. Which is weird, because I didn't have these issues in 0.

For a start, three out of four styles have Kiryu moving like a big chunky boy, which isn't so bad when you have the generous super armor and i-frames that 0 gives you. But in Kiwami? Nope, the lightest breeze stunlocks Kiryu now and every other attack will just knock him flat on his rear end. Or, if it doesn't knock him down, it'll shove you into a long animation where kiryu will jiggle like jell-o then slowly fall onto his face, taking damage the whole time. This is compounded with the fact that you have no real way to control which guy you're locked onto and you don't have any real means to get out of stunlock or enemy combos outside of, again, the one good style in the game now. In the end, group fights quickly stop being fun and dramatic because you'll hit a dude, then another guy will lightly brush kiryu's elbow bringing all momentum to a halt and then everyone takes turns stomping kiryu's poo poo in.

This is all balanced around Dragon of Dojima style just being gently caress all powerful. It has one attack that takes off entire life bars without much effort. Except the style its self still kind of sucks outside of that one skill, but if you prefer any of the other styles you have to slog through boss fights because they gave every enemy and boss way too much health to compensate normally. Also, every enemy can dodge way too much which makes counters the only really viable way to make combat not suck. You don't have any real way to stop them from dodging and they don't have any limit, unlike you who's dodges and dashes are limited based on your style and upgrade. Every enemy dodge makes them invincible and immune to everything while they dodge. And they'll just spam it for days until they hit you.

The most fun I had with this game's combat was using a fully upgraded Rush style against Mad Dog style Majima, I could dodge and react as quickly as he could and it was a very fun combat experience. Except the battle still took ages because he just had so much HP to work through. Then I unlocked the Tiger Drop and was beating harder forms of the same boss without getting touched in four button presses.
Not just you. YK is a big step down combat-wise from Yakuza 0 because it's a remake of an older game IIRC. It's still a good game because the Yakuza series has so much charm and character it can get away with a lot. But Yakuza 0 does indeed have better battles.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I need to stop buying into "this is an approachable fun roguelike/lite" because Nuclear Throne, Enter the Gungeon, and Necrodancer are all fun games and I don't hate playing them but jfc just let me feel like I'm doing good at least one out of like every ten runs. Just give me a good rng roll please

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I need to stop buying into "this is an approachable fun roguelike/lite" because Nuclear Throne, Enter the Gungeon, and Necrodancer are all fun games and I don't hate playing them but jfc just let me feel like I'm doing good at least one out of like every ten runs. Just give me a good rng roll please
These games, especially Nuclear Throne, remind me a lot more of classic arcade games than anything. You're supposed to play them in short bursts and they're meant to kill you quickly and be hard to finish. Whether this is good design seems to come down to personal preference, although sometimes you have some that stand out positively (Necrodancer, Spelunky) or negatively (Rogue Legacy, that Mega Man X roguelite nobody played that I think is called 20XX).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That, but with Cryptark. The massive difficulty spike of the cryptark itself is disheartening to the point where I don't want to keep trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Danaru posted:

I liked Kiwami a lot, and didnt have the same problems a lot of people did (I breezed through the first Shimano fight for example, dude can never hit you if you've dump your points in Rush like I did :v:) but holy gently caress the fight with that gunslinger dude whose name I forget. He would roll around like crazy and have perfect accuracy while doing so, and every hit makes Kiryu fall down for like ten seconds.

I didn't have a hard time with either fight, honestly. Shimano for the same reason as you - I latched on to Rush early on and rush is a very good style. Gun guy because I'd upgraded Dragon and, honestly, once you do that nothing in the game poses a threat just because of how much raw damage Kiryu will do. Oh no, he'd hit me for like 1/20th of my health bar. Then I'd punch him for like 1/5th of his. It wasn't a good fight, mind you, for the same reason that the later guy you fight who mostly used guns wasn't good; because there's just nothing you can really do. You can't use the gun counter on them because they're bosses and you can't disarm them. They're hard to pin down and stunlock so they're free to just shoot you mid-combo. And they don't really do anything but shoot you, run away, shoot you again. So you can't even do fun stuff to them, instead leaving you with walking towards them, punch them and dodge then repeat.

At least you can grab them. Getting to finish off those guys with the fun throwing heat actions was rad.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not just you. YK is a big step down combat-wise from Yakuza 0 because it's a remake of an older game IIRC. It's still a good game because the Yakuza series has so much charm and character it can get away with a lot. But Yakuza 0 does indeed have better battles.

That is, by and large, the root of most of Kiwami's problems. Not just gameplay but its story, tone as well. Half of it is just loving about until the plot kind of kicks in around you for the latter half. It really shows its age, but I don't really hold that against the game because I don't expect them to re-write the entire story.