Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fallom posted:

crosscode when

Its really sad that one of the best mmo experiences ive ever had is a single player game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

eonwe posted:

Its really sad that one of the best mmo experiences ive ever had is a single player game

Hell is other players.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Having never played an Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem or Dragon's Quest what's my best course of action to see if I like them before the Switch games come out?

I just recently bought a second hand new3DS to catch up on a whole generation of handheld games I've missed out on and it's almost daunting how much good poo poo I've got to get through. I guess starting with Fire Emblem Awakening is the best introduction for me?

Animalcraft Valley certainly looks charming, I'm thinking I'll just get that on release and not bother with the previous ones. If I enjoy games like Stardew Valley or Minecraft it seems like I should like this too, right? Some house/town/relationship building at a relaxed pace with some vague but not overbearing objectives seems like my cup of tea, if that's an accurate summary of the game.

Finally I know gently caress all about Dragon's Quest but all the talk in here makes me.want to get it as I haven't played a jprg in a long long time. The graphics and art style looks pleasant and inoffensive enough (I dont want huge anime titties and butts everywhere), and the gameplay sounds enjoyable. Can I just wait for that to come out too, or am I better trying a previous game in the series to test the waters?

I'm not a fan of Awakenings in the slightest, but it seems to feature things that get more refined in 3 Houses, especially regarding the relationships and their impact on future characters. The multiple storylines however is more akin to Fates, but those are 3 games as opposed to 1. But yeah try Awakenings. If you like it at all, I'm sure you'll enjoy 3 Houses. I personally find the GBA games have far far better gameplay, but again I seem to be a minority in that. 3 Houses doesn't seem to be taking the old-school route, but in the event that it is, Echoes of Valentia on the 3DS could be an option, as a remake of an older game, featuring somewhat less matchmaker stuff. I haven't played it but seeing my love for the older games, I probably should.

AC is good and yeah it's a chill game with no real purpose and tons of cute characters. My main gripe is that it runs on your clock, and if your hours are in any way regimented then you risk playing always at the same times and seeing the same things. Some people don't mind that. For a very very light sample of what the game is like you can try the Phone game (I suppose this applies to FE but less so). Pocket Camp, will give you a sense of the style of the game, with a smattering of activities you kinda do, and will let you decorate things, which is a big part of AC. It's Free to Play, and I don't suggest spending money on it, but if after a few days a week in that you think it's something you may like, try New Leaf on the 3DS. The only problem with that is getting too invested really only to drop it when the new one comes out. The crafting stuff and customization of everything, personally strikes me as bloat because I just get overwhelmed in those sort of situations. But it's likely I'm just no fun.

I'm in the same boat for DQ but I did buy VIII, again on 3DS, today on the strength of that 11 trailer and the coolness of the fighter in Smash. I don't think I'll be disappointed. I found it for 25 euro, I think it's on sale in North America. It's a long game probably, so maybe you won't finish it in time? I'm dying to get XI but I'd be better served waiting on it I think.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

"And man, what games."

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1139338577689509888

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Inzombiac posted:

I don't care about RAD unless it is Robot Alchemic Drive.

Hell yes.

Chill Penguin posted:

Cadence of Hyrule is awesome. After this and the Ubisoft-developed games, I wonder what’s next? I’d love to see a new Wario by Yacht Club, or maybe like a Captain Falcon beat-em-up/racing hybrid by inti-creates. I’m just sitting on public transit spitballing here.

Larian Studios announces they're going to begin development of Super Mario RPG 2.

DrManiac posted:

With octopath doing well and the SAGA games getting remakes, I’d kill for a new LiveALive

These SaGa remakes had better be leading up to a SaGa Frontier: Remastered Complete

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm only getting this because 2k18 servers don't work anymore. Gold coins to the rescue.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Why is it $3 and not just free to play

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

eonwe posted:

I thought the first Xenoblade was absolutely fantastic.

The Guild Wars 2 came out, and it was strictly worse.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was going to do this but it requires a MicroSD card to even install

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

26.6 gb. I just cancelled the download and will put it on my second sd card when I get around to it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Astral Chain is just cyberpunk Pokémon, change my mind

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Quoting for an easy reminder. I need to look into Astral Chain more, that's Anime Cops right? I thought I heard rumblings of open world, right up my alley.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

so... digimon?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Skipopatomus posted:

so... digimon?

Pokemon
Pocketed monsters
Pokemon are the
Monsters!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This seems like a trap.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Astral Chain is Nier: Automata for people who can't otherwise play Nier: Automata

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I used some gold coins and got this for 81 cents

its a loving yuge download, so I dunno when I'm gonna get to it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is it.. worth it? Like I know it's $3 but is it impossible to enjoy it unless you engage with the monetization nonsense?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought Diablo III, having never played it before and goddamn, you get OP super quick.

It's fun! Looks like it came out in 2012, though.

For the Wii.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Electric Phantasm posted:

This seems like a trap.

Yeah it's like when 2K went on PS Plus, they expect to get people on the MTX

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I can't believe Nintendo called it the Nintendo Treehouse and not the Nintendo Three House

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

but you're right, it's cyberpunk Jojomon mixed with Xenoblade, that's what makes it good

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Pylons posted:

Is it.. worth it? Like I know it's $3 but is it impossible to enjoy it unless you engage with the monetization nonsense?

If you don't mind missing out on the single player campaign, it should be ok.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

EB Games has a collector's edition for Astral Chain up for preorder for $129AUD. It gets you a 152 page artbook, a Shikishi Artboard with an illustration by Masakazu Katsura, and a soundtrack selectio CD.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

If you don't mind missing out on the single player campaign, it should be ok.

That'd probably be what I want the most, so I guess I'll give this a pass. Thanks!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chill Penguin posted:

I’d love to see a new Wario by Yacht Club.

I too am looking forward to Shovel Knight: King of Cards.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1139360886051655680

I can't believe they just fired him

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

5 more minutes of Astral chain

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mDmiM7ilfgw

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Automation’s hitting everyone hard :smith:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
that's an american titty witch

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

probably gonna get quoted 10 more times but jesus christ this isn't even including more poo poo they're probably making. While the other consoles are slowing down to prep for next gen the Switch is breaking into an Olympic sprint.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is Cadence easier than Necrodancer? I was never able to get very far in the original game. I kind of fell off of it really quick.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From what I've heard, it's more forgiving and keeps your items/status after you die, though there is an optional permadeath mode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hang on New Horizons has auto saves?

Also not gonna lie I love Animal Crossing Lore. Lyle is my favorite character, so I'm interested to see what they do with Resetti.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Is Cadence easier than Necrodancer? I was never able to get very far in the original game. I kind of fell off of it really quick.
_way_ easier

there's no permadeath so eventually you have enough hearts and items that you can steamroll through everything. I died like a dozen times at the start until I got a couple of hearts and started a run with a spear, kept that spear as my weapon and didn't die again until I had completed the game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Cool I'll have to check it out then

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Macaluso posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

From what I've heard, it's more forgiving and keeps your items/status after you die, though there is an optional permadeath mode.

From the hour I've played. Dungeons are reset a bit after death. Overworld stays the same. On death you lose temporary items (armored boots, shovel, torch, etc) and rupees. You keep diamonds which let you spend on upgrades and temp items. You also keep heart containers and heart pieces you've collected. When you die, you choose where to respawn at a Sheikah Stone you've touched in the overworld. In dungeons, you respawn at the entrance like other Zelda games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's no way I can make it up with that release schedule, not with games that'll last me weeks or longer coming out every seven days or something absurd. Maybe at this rate I can actually wait for a DQXI sale or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
there are also fairy fountains so once you get the lute that lets you teleport you've practically got infinite health