Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

They actually are pretty trivial, and they already give you an estimate for income change when sending ships to protect trade. It doesn't have to give you a perfect prediction, but it should be pretty easy to have a "given current conditions, sending a merchant here will result in x gain/loss" thing somewhere.

Yeah except that estimate is usually full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You switching from transfer to collecting in a node shifts everything down and upstream. It's not actually as simple as people think.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Azhais posted:

England is more Slylandro to me

Arilou in our own history books, Ilwrath in everyone else’s.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beefeater1980 posted:

Arilou in our own history books, Ilwrath in everyone else’s.

I was thinking more the probes

WE COME IN PEACE.
WE BRING GREETINGS FROM A FRIENDLY SPECIES.
DO NOT FEAR. WE SHALL NOT HARM YOU.
THIS IS PROBE 2418-B, ON A PEACEFUL MISSION.
WE ARE NON-HOSTILE AND SEEK TO ESTABLISH FRIENDLY RELATIONS.
WE WISH TO LEARN MORE ABOUT YOU. PLEASE TRANSMIT DATA.
THIS PROBE IS NON-HOSTILE. DO NOT ATTACK.
WE COME IN PEACE.
PRIORITY OVER-RIDE. NEW BEHAVIOR DICTATED.
MUST BREAK TARGET INTO COMPONENT COMPOUNDS.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Has anyone else seen an institution just fail to spawn before?

I've got a Spain game going, it's now 1660 and global trade has not happened so it's still the Age of Reformation with no end in sight. Not that I mind all that much, I've got the HRE and have the rest of western Europe on the ropes, but still, it's weird.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dev diary on French, Provencal, and Dutch mission trees

ooh, mysterious: "I’ll start by addressing the elephant in the room: where’s Burgundy? We do indeed have a mission tree for Burgundy, but it is not yet time to reveal it. The Burgundian mission tree is tied to features yet unannounced and to reworks of certain significant events that we are not yet ready to talk about. The same is true of the Pope in Italy, and to a lesser extent some of the German nations. We’ll come back to this once we’ve started to talk about some of the mechanical changes and features coming in the European expansion."

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 11, 2019

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Groke posted:

Has anyone else seen an institution just fail to spawn before?

I've got a Spain game going, it's now 1660 and global trade has not happened so it's still the Age of Reformation with no end in sight. Not that I mind all that much, I've got the HRE and have the rest of western Europe on the ropes, but still, it's weird.

Whoever has the most valuable trade node hasn't fulfilled anything else, i'd guess.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Dev diary on French, Provencal, and Dutch mission trees

ooh, mysterious: "I’ll start by addressing the elephant in the room: where’s Burgundy? We do indeed have a mission tree for Burgundy, but it is not yet time to reveal it. The Burgundian mission tree is tied to features yet unannounced and to reworks of certain significant events that we are not yet ready to talk about. The same is true of the Pope in Italy, and to a lesser extent some of the German nations. We’ll come back to this once we’ve started to talk about some of the mechanical changes and features coming in the European expansion."

burgundian inheritance obviously. and the pope’s crazy buffs from events are probably missions now??

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*holding thumb to all my fingertips* WHENS DA FUCKIN 'TALIAAANO UPDATE

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

StealthArcher posted:

Whoever has the most valuable trade node hasn't fulfilled anything else, i'd guess.

I guess I figured it out and of course it was my fault. Wealthiest trade node = Genoa. Biggest trading power there = myself. My capital: Madrid, which is not in the Genoa node. And there are no level 2 or 3 centers of trade in the Genoa node either.

The Iberian wedding fired kinda late and Aragon had conquered a fair bit of the Genoa node first (including Genoa itself), all of which fell to me when I formed Spain. Then for some stupid reason I never bothered to upgrade my centers of trade, just moved the home trading port there in order to rake in the cash. So it goes.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

This is all for the dlc that's out in like 2020?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

jake referred to it as a "big end-of-year expansion" at the start of this year, so i'd think november 2019 or thereabouts

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I feel I always mess up my Mughal runs by trying to grab stuff in the Caucasus and Middle East before the Ottomans gobble it all up, instead of just steamrolling Indian like a maniac. So much money there plus early Hindustan bonus, I feel like a dope!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why would anyone ever play ironman? :toot:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

This is all for the dlc that's out in like 2020?

Pretty sure it's supposed to be the EU4 equivalent of Holy Fury, where they push a giant update/DLC that reworks a ton of stuff.

I'm also guessing the Burgundy stuff is reworking Royal Marriages/PUs, since the latter at the very least has needed some kind of change for a while now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah except that estimate is usually full of poo poo.

Tahirovic posted:

You switching from transfer to collecting in a node shifts everything down and upstream. It's not actually as simple as people think.

If the system is so complicated that the only way to deal with it is through trial and error, then it probably needs to be fixed.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

If the system is so complicated that the only way to deal with it is through trial and error, then it probably needs to be fixed.

never play victoria 2

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Victoria 2 is not a "system".

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's a lifestyle. Literally.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

lol

were talking about a paradox game here right

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Is there a way to finangle allied navies to do what I want them to do? My current game is the Knights and i'm trying to trap kebabs on Negroponte, Corfu, and Naxos, but AI navies are in places that aren't helpful.

-Edit

I've made an oopsie with this post, "kebab" doesn't have the same meaning in my head than it does in other people's. I thought it was a light hearted term of endearment for the Ottomans in Europa Universalis 4. Sorry yall.

This probably means calling France "baguette" is also frowned upon.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 14, 2019

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Kebabs are tasty I do say.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

:chloe:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Try putting the kebabs in your mouth and the navies in your butthole. If that doesn't work, switch them and try again.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Torgo2727 posted:

Is there a way to finangle allied navies to do what I want them to do?

You can get them to attach to your navy but that's about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torgo2727 posted:

Is there a way to finangle allied navies to do what I want them to do? My current game is the Knights and i'm trying to trap kebabs on Negroponte, Corfu, and Naxos, but AI navies are in places that aren't helpful.
gently caress off. You retracted your mistake so I'm sorry for saying gently caress off.

edit2: no one will ever see this lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 14, 2019

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

gently caress off.

Go scold somewhere else.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You did nothing wrong OP. You obviously didn't mean it maliciously. This forum is full of misanthropes who pretend to be morally enlightened so they can bully someone who "deserves it". IMO they should go to resetera. In the future, don't apologize. They won't accept it and it only encourages them.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

You should also gently caress off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

never play victoria 2

Nobody actually plays Vicky 2.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

TTBF posted:

You should also gently caress off.

No.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Torgo2727 posted:

-Edit

I've made an oopsie with this post, "kebab" doesn't have the same meaning in my head than it does in other people's. I thought it was a light hearted term of endearment for the Ottomans in Europa Universalis 4. Sorry yall.

This probably means calling France "baguette" is also frowned upon.

Kebab is hardly the worst insult in the world, especially how its become sort of a cutesy shorthand for the ottomans. It originates from some hilariously broken English rant from a Serbian nationalist. It got a more sour taste more recently due to its usage by the NZ mosque shooter. That's the reason the woke bloodsuckers above jumped on you without explanation. At least, that's the causes belli. If you ask me it's just a stale meme in the EU4 community. Baguette is stale too but hardly offensive or offensively unfunny.

The paradox forums had to ban its usage after the shooting because there are some honest to God nationalist freaks from all over the globe there. So there was a pretty good chance it was being used in a bad way. Over here, it's pretty unlikely you're a Serbian nationalist.

So again: don't apologize.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Wow can't believe this would happen on SA. We used to make fun of 9/11 you know buy now you can't even say kebab without someone freaking out on your behalf

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What if you took a baguette, sliced it along the length and filled the interior with kebab, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion and kebab sauce?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Average Bear posted:

Kebab is hardly the worst insult in the world, especially how its become sort of a cutesy shorthand for the ottomans. It originates from some hilariously broken English rant from a Serbian nationalist. It got a more sour taste more recently due to its usage by the NZ mosque shooter. That's the reason the woke bloodsuckers above jumped on you without explanation. At least, that's the causes belli. If you ask me it's just a stale meme in the EU4 community. Baguette is stale too but hardly offensive or offensively unfunny.

The paradox forums had to ban its usage after the shooting because there are some honest to God nationalist freaks from all over the globe there. So there was a pretty good chance it was being used in a bad way. Over here, it's pretty unlikely you're a Serbian nationalist.

Yeah, you probably shouldn't be defending racist slurs.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Gort posted:

Yeah, you probably shouldn't be defending racist slurs.

Aaaaaaaaand back to lurking I go! Probably easier to just google poo poo then asking about it here anyways. Jfc.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody actually plays Vicky 2.

I did a Brazil game in March, it was good fun colonizing Africa. Now where's my Vicky3?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Torgo2727 posted:

Aaaaaaaaand back to lurking I go! Probably easier to just google poo poo then asking about it here anyways. Jfc.

Fwiw I think your reaction to using a word with bad connotations you didn't intend/realise was good and normal and I think (hope) that it's only bear who treated that post like a big deal past your retraction.

Anyway I just came to say I wanted to do a dumb Uzbek game to gun for some achievements but it always feels like work to play eu4 now. Maybe it's just getting over the hump of the initial alliances, planning etc but I miss enjoying paradox stuff.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Average Bear posted:

This is an incredibly ridiculous post to make when including the bolded lines. This is exactly why someone might be upset by it. It was used in a shooting incident that ended the life of innocents. Of course some posters might worry and be wary because these kinds of crazies are everywhere across the internet not just the paradox forums.

The op apologised and as far as I can see that is absolutely fine because it cleared things up for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
The term Kebab has been banned on Paradox forums for years, long long before the NZ Mosque shooting because it is a racist slur originating in a nationalistic music video praising a war criminal.

I mean I don't know about you but if "praising war criminal" can be used in the same sentence as my meme word, I would rethink my usage of it.