Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know why you're all sweating these upcoming games costing you so much money; just do what I'm going to do and buy Super Mario Maker 2, knowing it'll be the last game you'll ever need. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know why you're all sweating these upcoming games costing you so much money; just do what I'm going to do and buy Super Mario Maker 2, knowing it'll be the last game you'll ever need. :shrug:

For a couple weeks before the quality of new levels jumps off a cliff like it did with the first one.

I love it but it has the same issues as all games built around user generated content. The content is only as good as the users generating it, and the good ones move on pretty quick.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

For a couple weeks before the quality of new levels jumps off a cliff like it did with the first one.

I love it but it has the same issues as all games built around user generated content. The content is only as good as the users generating it, and the good ones move on pretty quick.

More than three people own a Switch unlike the Wii U so the potential userbase is much bigger

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

drat, you're pretty harsh on yourself

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It'll be fun but I don't think it'll last me as long as a bunch of other games on that list. If only animal crossing came out sooner, I would spend all my time playing that...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This Mario Maker will come with a bunch of "Story mode" levels though.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

what the gently caress

he was already kinda optional in the last animal crossing, but to do this while still having the garbage looking ancient inventory management (or tool management, more specifically) in new horizons??

nintendo please never stop being nintendo, but also please stop being so nintendo

:negative:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

what the gently caress

he was already kinda optional in the last animal crossing, but to do this while still having the garbage looking ancient inventory management (or tool management, more specifically) in new horizons??

nintendo please never stop being nintendo, but also please stop being so nintendo

:negative:
What on earth does this post mean?

You realize a person was not actually fired, and they're coyly explaining that the character will have some other role in the game, while also mentioning a new feature, right? And what does that have to do with the way the inventory looks? What's wrong with the new inventory?

Am I missing some joke? I feel like everyone else lamenting Resetti's unemployment was joking along with the press release, but I don't get this post.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Eiba posted:

You realize a person was not actually fired, and they're coyly explaining that the character will have some other role in the game, while also mentioning a new feature, right? And what does that have to do with the way the inventory looks? What's wrong with the new inventory?

Am I missing some joke? I feel like everyone else lamenting Resetti's unemployment was joking along with the press release, but I don't get this post.

lol chill

he was already some citizen volunteer in new leaf.

my comment about the inventory was from the footage they showed. it was the same ol' clunky looking method. new leaf was a bit of an improvement over the older games thanks to it allowing button presses to switch between tools in yer pocket, but come onnnnn. just let them be forever in a pocket! and then have the inventory with 20 spots or whatever

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Eiba posted:

the point was that nintendo made changes to one basic quality of life system (saving) to the extent they put effort into changing a characters role so they still had a place in the game, but other systems seem stuck in the past

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I like the grumpy looking Goombas

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Evil Fluffy posted:

These SaGa remakes had better be leading up to a SaGa Frontier: Remastered Complete

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1139472595395522561

ARMS started their last Party Crash event tournament. See this game off this weekend and give Min Min the win win.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'm enjoying playing Secret of Mana again, but jesus the stunlock is ridiculous in the witch's castle. Remind me if that keeps up all game?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

ARMS started their last Party Crash event tournament. See this game off this weekend and give Min Min the win win.

Do we know what the ARMs team is doing now? No idea if ARMs did well enough for a sequel but I'm kinda interested they obviously have some cool ideas.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I absolute love all the absolute great style that's all over ARMS (and same with MK8 before it) but I just can't get into the game itself

that team tho...I'll continue to get excited about what they produce! :)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Found out through the Giant Bomb night shows that Iron Galaxy are doing the port work on Dauntless, they're the ones who did the Diablo 3 port so really hopeful for that working out now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Isabelle is going to prison for the murder of Mr. Resetti.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Mega64 posted:

Isabelle is going to prison for the murder of Mr. Resetti.

tha...thank you :negative:

maybe now I can sleep

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

a7m2 posted:

It'll be fun but I don't think it'll last me as long as a bunch of other games on that list. If only animal crossing came out sooner, I would spend all my time playing that...

Yeah, I was mostly being sarcastic, except that I will actually be playing SMM2 for months and months and months without much of a plan to buy anything else.

To put it a different way, SMM2 is wonderful for someone on a tight gaming budget. Sure, it's full-priced, but that $80 (:canada:) is going to go a looooooong way.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Yeah, I was mostly being sarcastic, except that I will actually be playing SMM2 for months and months and months without much of a plan to buy anything else.

To put it a different way, SMM2 is wonderful for someone on a tight gaming budget. Sure, it's full-priced, but that $80 (:canada:) is going to go a looooooong way.

pleased that there are (i think???) some better search options, for one

hoping it'll be possible to find/follow folks who make the magical levels in a sea of trash

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Dead Cells is reaaaaaaaal fun.

I played last night for 2.5 hours and that time flew by in about 5 minutes. What a game!

Also, holy boats, the music in Necrodancer is really great. I've not played it, but with Cadence releasing I checked out the OST and this music is excellent. I have so many roguelikes on the Switch... but this game's only a few bucks! Surely I don't need it too? Right?

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 14, 2019

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Astral Chain gonna own

Why yes, your cyberpunk enslaved hell demon does have a state issued 7 foot sword with "POLICE" stamped on it.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

you know a game is good when its advertisements proudly express a feature to make it all go by 3x faster

[ff7 on switch marketing campaign...]

there's better ways :shrug:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thinking of DQXI 16 bit mode and stuff like that, what if they gave you the chance to put it all back on GBC DX mode for Link's Awakening? It'd be a nice small feature.

Wildtortilla posted:

Dead Cells is reaaaaaaaal fun.

I played last night for 2.5 hours and that time flew by in about 5 minutes. What a game!

Also, holy boats, the music in Necrodancer is really great. I've not played it, but with Cadence releasing I checked out the OST and this music is excellent. I have so many roguelikes on the Switch... but this game's only a few bucks! Surely I don't need it too? Right?

Eh. I mean if you're getting Cadence I'd say no. Like get Necrodancer the day you finish Cadence and want more of it, but harder. You can listen to the soundtrack on its own.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 14, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bulgakov posted:

you know a game is good when its advertisements proudly express a feature to make it all go by 3x faster

FF7 is slow as gently caress. Not a bad game, but brutally, unbearably slow. The story pacing, the animation, the dialog, combat, everything.

3x speed sounds about right to me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vengarr posted:

FF7 is slow as gently caress. Not a bad game, but brutally, unbearably slow. The story pacing, the animation, the dialog, combat, everything.

3x speed sounds about right to me.

Yeah nobody has the time for a 90s RPG

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I got Necrodancer because it was on sale for €3.99 and I had loads of gold coins so I just exchanged a few of them for it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

Yeah nobody has the time for a 90s RPG

Depends on the RPG

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

njsykora posted:

Found out through the Giant Bomb night shows that Iron Galaxy are doing the port work on Dauntless, they're the ones who did the Diablo 3 port so really hopeful for that working out now.
They also did Skyrim.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bulgakov posted:

It's designed for people who want to relive the story without the grind. This was advertised in the PC and PS4 releases as well, and it is the only reason I have a Platinum Trophy on a game I beat thrice in my childhood.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Eh. I mean if you're getting Cadence I'd say no. Like get Necrodancer the day you finish Cadence and want more of it, but harder. You can listen to the soundtrack on its own.

Yea I watched some Necrodancer gameplay and then some Cadence gameplay and Cadence looks much more my speed. Necrodancer looks quite unforgiving and I don't have much patience for that these days. So I'm going to keep listening to Necrodancer's OST and I'll play Cadence eventually, the Treehouse made it look like a good time. :)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Andrast posted:

Depends on the RPG

Even the ones I remember fondly are too slow and tedious to actually replay. All of the FFs, Xenogears, even Suikoden 2.

Chrono Trigger is the one shining exception.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember Pokemon Stadium had unlockable x2 and x3 options for playing the Game Boy Pokemon games. Even the devs seemed to recognise old JRPGs are slow and clunky, though I bet a lot of that is also in menus. Probably because they were originally meant for kids with too much free time.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Takoluka posted:

It's designed for people who want to relive the story without the grind. This was advertised in the PC and PS4 releases as well, and it is the only reason I have a Platinum Trophy on a game I beat thrice in my childhood.

its a shame that video game stories don't have to go through the grueling cycles of multiple passes by editors and final approval by a publisher and etc before a book might being printed, much less having a ton of work hours spent by loads of people making assets to slog along with slop writing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Raaa-min! :hai:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Somehow I managed to miss that FFVIII was being remastered for Switch. I'm so excited! I thought that the only code was inscribed on the skin of some monk who lived down a well or something.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 14, 2019

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

njsykora posted:

Thought D3 was the absolute wizards at Panic Button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Feenix posted:

Thought D3 was the absolute wizards at Panic Button.
Nope. It came from the Lang Zone.