Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

FF7Remake being RTwP (For magic)

ah nevermind, the game will be bad, that's a wrap folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I dislike using the term rtwp for anything except the classic wrpg gameplay even if it technically describes what is happening

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Andrast posted:

I dislike using the term rtwp for anything except the classic wrpg gameplay even if it technically describes what is happening

yeah that's why i say technically, cause it's action game with bullet time pauses which..... could describe, say, bayonetta too

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

FF7Remake being RTwP (For magic) sounds like a good compromise to me.

But boy do I hope they can keep the banter flowing even outside of Midgar. That's super refreshing to see coming from this after 15's repeated 'Man, it's hot' conversations seeming kinda stiff.

talk about backseat fishing designers

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So when will Josette be good in TiTS3rd?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

when you bake up a bunch of attack candies

and then again in the end game, if you give her a top-tier gun and Tiger Heart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Note on new tales:

quote:

There's only one character designer, Minoru Iwamoto (the person who designed Edna and a few others), and they're also the art designer.

So no fujishima. In Bersy, Iwamoto designed Laphicet and Eizen.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tired Moritz posted:

She's great the entire game!

As your support.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

Note on new tales:

So no fujishima. In Bersy, Iwamoto designed Laphicet and Eizen.

One boot up, one boot down. The reaper's curse

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

some Ys IX gameplay (and music!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41v7jhkjzAE

looks more or less the same as 8

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Are the mana games something I can just jump into without looking anything up and not permanently gently caress myself over?

You never know with RPGs from that era

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Tales of Woe posted:

some Ys IX gameplay (and music!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41v7jhkjzAE

looks more or less the same as 8

Who is going to handle the translation?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Andrast posted:

Are the mana games something I can just jump into without looking anything up and not permanently gently caress myself over?

You absolutely can. I played them start to finish in the days before internet and didn't have any problems.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

It would be hard to gently caress up in them.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Andrast posted:

SD3 can be anywhere from hilarious easy to a big slog depending on what you do with your team. There's 3 different paths through the game and the difficulty is a little harder in some than the others, and there are permanent class changes some of which are pretty OP and others that are very whatever.

You can certainly beat it no matter what you do, but depending on if you want an easier or harder (or more tedious) time you can adjust your character and subclass choices.

My main rec is to not pick Angela at all because offensive magic is pretty tedious and unfun and that's literally all she can do. Also don't be afraid to look at a class change guide because A) it's a permanent choice and some classes just aren't very good, and B) you have to go out of your way to even get the second class changes because they're weird and semi-hidden and may require grinding for certain drops.

Secret of Mana, can't really gently caress up anything there. Game is glitchy as hell though so be ready for that. If you ever get any extra orb drops past level 9, don't use them.

If you attempt to play FFAdventure, it's even more glitchy so if anything weird happens (like you just wrong warp during a screen transition) better reload your save or savestate.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 13, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Mystic Quest / FFA has some weird parts that can get you stuck for a while, but the worst contender (gently caress you, figure 8) only stumps you if you are very dumb (like me) or a small child and it was mostly a problem thanks to wonky feedback on the original Gameboy. On a switch you'll probably have zero problems as long as you save as often as possible.

You can't even get stuck by running out of keys or pick-axes in the middle of a dungeon, as there are either monsters around dropping that stuff, or you can only run out if there is at least one clear, but long and tedious way back out. So the worst that can happen is you waste a lot of time walking out and to the next store to stock up.

And as soon as you get the morning star, clearing obstacles ceases to be a problem forever and you can dump all those stupid pick-axes you were forced to carry around

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Who is going to handle the translation?

too early to say, NISA is a good guess though unless they're fully booked with CS4

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Andrast posted:

In general, even if you end up making a party combo that's not ideal in Trials, you can usually cover for it with items. Items will basically just always be your fall-back if you're lacking something, like a healer or buffer.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

With octopath doing well and the SAGA games getting remakes, I’d kill for a new LiveALive

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Libluini posted:

Mystic Quest / FFA has some weird parts that can get you stuck for a while, but the worst contender (gently caress you, figure 8) only stumps you if you are very dumb (like me) or a small child and it was mostly a problem thanks to wonky feedback on the original Gameboy. On a switch you'll probably have zero problems as long as you save as often as possible.

You can't even get stuck by running out of keys or pick-axes in the middle of a dungeon, as there are either monsters around dropping that stuff, or you can only run out if there is at least one clear, but long and tedious way back out. So the worst that can happen is you waste a lot of time walking out and to the next store to stock up.

And as soon as you get the morning star, clearing obstacles ceases to be a problem forever and you can dump all those stupid pick-axes you were forced to carry around

I swear I got soft-locked once back in the day when I got stuck in a small set of rooms in the Dark Lord's castle with no keys to open the way forward or back. There probably was something in there with a chance to drop keys, but I ended up reverting to a previous save instead.

Never made that mistake again!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nemo2342 posted:

I swear I got soft-locked once back in the day when I got stuck in a small set of rooms in the Dark Lord's castle with no keys to open the way forward or back. There probably was something in there with a chance to drop keys, but I ended up reverting to a previous save instead.

Never made that mistake again!

Yeah, if there are skeletons around, they'll drop keys.(Get it???)

Theoretically, you could get really hosed over if you get somehow stuck inbetween locked doors with not enough room to respawn enemies.

The other thing that always made me feel anxious were those puzzles were you had to freeze enemies or move empty treasure chests around while enemies were hopping around you. And of course if you hosed up, you had to go back until everything respawned. This kind of poo poo made me irrationally happy when Lufia II introduced a simple time spell to re-do puzzles. So simple, yet so smart!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did that redpill ending in YIIK end up real? I'm seeing discourse on the game go around again and still the only thing I can find is people on restera claiming that their friends uncle's brother totally saw it but can't show anyone atm.

I could believe it given that the one bad podcast guy has a model in the game or w/e but it's weird how this is still going around yet no footage seems to exist of the alleged ending

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nobody wants to play it to find out.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the third ending is contentious, the second ending is absolutely real based on the fact that it's a thing i have seen people talk about on the community hub and given instructions on how to access but it doesn't involve dick masterson

whether the third ending is real or not the developers have implied that it is and that it's connected to dick masterson, so

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I'm specifically talking about the dick masterson giving you a redpill or w/e ending

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
It is 100% not in game yet. The devs promised a walkthrough in July to show us how.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

My main rec is to not pick Angela at all because offensive magic is pretty tedious and unfun and that's literally all she can do. Also don't be afraid to look at a class change guide because A) it's a permanent choice and some classes just aren't very good, and B) you have to go out of your way to even get the second class changes because they're weird and semi-hidden and may require grinding for certain drops.

Also, the minimum level requirement for the final classes is about the level at which you'll finish the game if you don't actively grind. I was pretty disappointed in how little of the game I got to use them for.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
otoh you should totally grind because iirc the ultimate equipment for each class is great

lol don't loving grind the only way to get the ultimate equipment is to kill hundreds of mimics in the jungle and hope they drop equipment seeds

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the ultimate equipment also hardly makes a difference in the end because the real power in SD3 is knowing to never use level 2/3 techs because they cause like literally every boss and even some grunts to counter with screen-clearing attacks that will murder your team

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

vanilla sd3 is pretty busted. theres a hard mode hack that fixes a lot of bugs/design issues but also introduces bafflingly stupid new ones. i will never get to play my ideal video game

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

vanilla sd3 is pretty busted. theres a hard mode hack that fixes a lot of bugs/design issues but also introduces bafflingly stupid new ones. i will never get to play my ideal video game
What kind of bafflingly stupid new ones?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

What kind of bafflingly stupid new ones?

what bafflingly stupid things do you think a modder will add to a "bugfix" patch?

"every boss's hp increased by one order of magnitude. for balance." "death traps now kill the entire party instantly." the sky is the limit

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

GulagDolls posted:

yeah tbh the problem isn't even that its hard, cause having like hawk and kevin spamming their doublehits will just cakewalk you through the game. but not being able to use a bunch of your cool poo poo, and there just being far worse options in classes, etc. just sucks

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

not interesting ones.

money is intensely scarce and the hack and weapon progression is not entirely linear so in a lot of situations you will want 'old' gear. so basically buy everything everywhere. there's an accessory that increases gold gain rate+chance of rare drops, and it stacks, so naturally that is what occupies all six of your accessory slots, especially since you need rare drops to change class/get ultimate gear later/not die in boss fight. it's not a mechanical problem but...what a test....are you able to deduce that you should put this one forever. it just adds pointless busywork. baffling because the modder displays opposite sensibilities elsewhere (you regen mp, so after a battle is over, if anyone knows healing magic, you will be fullhealed automatically.)

theres equipment decisions like 'high atk, low hit rate' vs 'low atk, high hit rate' and its kind of a bogus 'decision' in the first place but its hard to get any kind of feedback whether or not you are hitting a lot or not when 800 numbers are flying out of enemies and disappearing after 1 second. the final equipment choices also seemed imbalanced to a kind of ludicrous degree, making it hard to justify certain final classes, but maybe they were actually all good and the descriptions of what the equipment did were just 2 vague.

i think the reliable strat for fighting bill&ben was to get one of them trapped behind a stair banister

The White Dragon posted:

what bafflingly stupid things do you think a modder will add to a "bugfix" patch?

"every boss's hp increased by one order of magnitude. for balance." "death traps now kill the entire party instantly." the sky is the limit

yeah lol the first boss required pre-emptive healing and intimate knowledge of a crab's mind. hope you bought as many round drops as you possibly could

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
love to go any dark path first because 90% of the time they end up with dark magic only which everything in the endgame nullifies

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 14, 2019

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

carlie's light/light 1mp turn undead spell does 999 damage to a certain final boss too

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GulagDolls posted:

money is intensely scarce and the hack and weapon progression is not entirely linear so in a lot of situations you will want 'old' gear.

goin' back to potatoes

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

also there were several different difficulties for the mod but if you pick the next hardest one down you get a treasure chest after the battle 50% of the time, instead of 100% of the time, and rare drops (like the equipment seeds) are also reduced. it just got more pronounced as you dropped the difficulty further. maybe the intent was something like 'well if you are playing on hard mode you will be using these items all the time and need your stock replenished' but it didn't work out that way. you don't really use items ever except for boss battles cause you regen mp and autoheal. so really it just seemed like a decision to spite people who wanted to play an easier version. Don't want to play the version where 'metal hugger' murders you if you didn't buy 20 round drops/download his AI into your cyberbrain/take carly early so you have three people? well now you have to grind more if you want to do the class change stuff. anyway i couldnt beat the crab without taking carly and quit after i had to cheese the frack out of bill & ted

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It has been 20 some years since I last played SD3 - I chose a team of Duran/Riesz/Hawk. For promotions, do I want to send Duran towards Light for healing or am I fine without it? I remember Saint Saber being good in the end of the game but his dark path can give him elemental/moon/leaf sabers. I am thinking Light for Riesz for buffs and dark for Hawk (of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Secret of Mana becomes frustratingly unfun in the back half when the game becomes an unending boss rush against recolored bosses. While I don't think it's ever necessary to grind magic in general, you absolutely should max out Luna for both casters because lunar boost is the only way to damage late game bosses without constantly charging attacks and MP absorb is necessary in the later game when a pathetic 4 item slots can't cover all the mp you'll need.