Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I'll post about a country, preferably one that will make it past the quarters so no Ireland please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
I'll take one, as long as everyone accepts I'll be using SquidgeRugby as a reference source if I get Namibia.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I think it’s probably worth already assuming that the Namibia entry is just a link to Squidge’s video on then

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

fallingdownjoe posted:

I think it’s probably worth already assuming that the Namibia entry is just a link to Squidge’s video on then

Luckily he's doing one per country

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I did the French and Aussie ones before. Happy to do one of them again.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm up for adopting a country.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hi! I'm new to Rugby and wanted to ask a couple of questions if that's ok.

How many times does the team get to score a try? How many times can they go down?
Why do they keep kicking it out of bounds?
What does a scrum do?
If I understand correctly, the ball has to be the "leading element." Meaning, you can't pass the ball, you have to run it, and can't go in front of it. Why can't the other team just go grab it?

I take photographs and got the chance to do San Diego Legion the past few weeks. I'm curious on how my photos are to people who follow the sport. I am totally unfamiliar with the sport and may get some shots wrong. Can I get some feedback from you all? Don't be afraid of being mean. I'm not fishing for compliments either. My logic is that the photograph needs to be enjoyable, and if it isn't to the target audience, something is wrong.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/cvNokaq
Album: https://imgur.com/a/MP2vByV

Thanks everyone! I've only gotten to shoot Rugby twice before. Also, this is volunteer work. I've never been paid for this stuff.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Soulex posted:

Hi! I'm new to Rugby and wanted to ask a couple of questions if that's ok.

How many times does the team get to score a try? How many times can they go down?
Why do they keep kicking it out of bounds?
What does a scrum do?
If I understand correctly, the ball has to be the "leading element." Meaning, you can't pass the ball, you have to run it, and can't go in front of it. Why can't the other team just go grab it?

So there are no 'downs' as such, you get to keep going until you turn over the ball. Importantly you get to keep going even if the time runs out as long as you don't turn over the ball.

People keep kicking it out of bounds for 2 reasons. They have a penalty and one of the things you can do at a penalty is kick the ball out of bounds and you get to throw the ball back in making it very likely you'll get possession back. So you gain a lot of ground. The other reason is that it's in your 22, the last 22 yards before your try line. When you're hear you're allowed to kick the ball out and the opposing team gets to throw in. You give away possession but the ball is a lot further from your line. I think its like a punt in American football, you just want to make them have to run it back a far as you can.

A scrum is for restarting the game if one team knocks the ball on, I. E. they drop it forwards, or if they pass it forwards. Basically a less serious infraction than a penalty for doing something wrong. The scrum is 8 player on each side, numbers 1 - 8, basically trying to push each other over the ball. The scrum half (9) puts the ball in, theoretically straight down the middle, the hooker (2) hooks the ball backwards towards the back and everyone else pushes.

So you are right you have to pass the ball backwards, then run it forwards. When the balls in hand anyone can stand anywhere theres no offside. As soon as someone is tackled there's an offside line where the player is tackled and you need to be on your own side of it. If the tackled player is on the ground he must release the ball, you're not allowed to play the ball when you're on the ground. Players can then attempt to pick up the ball by driving over it and picking it up. But you have to be on your feet. If you start on your side and drive over the ball you totally can pick it up. If the tackled player didn't hit the ground and its held up then its a maul, again you have to be on your side of it but it can be driven up and down the pitch.

That's broadly it when a thousand other rules which you'll pickup.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 10, 2019

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Soulex posted:

1. How many times does the team get to score a try?
  2. How many times can they go down?
  3. Why do they keep kicking it out of bounds?
  4. What does a scrum do?
  5. Why can't the other team just go grab (the ball)?
  6. I'm curious on how my photos are to people who follow the sport. I am totally unfamiliar with the sport and may get some shots wrong. Can I get some feedback from you?

I am an American who learned the game in my 30s so I will answer too.
  1. A try is when you touch the ball to the ground in the "end zone" (try zone in rugby). Do it as often as you can manage, they're worth 5 points.

If you thought it meant a try at kicking a "field" goal, you are on to something and you can kick at the uprights whenever you want, but you only get to use a tee as one of your options after the other team commits a penalty. Those kicks are worth 3 either way. You can also use a tee after a try to kick a "point after" but those are worth 2.
  2. Covered above.
  3. Covered above, but I'll simplify. In rugby it often makes sense to trade possession for position. They get pinned in their own end and just hoof it further from where the other team needs to be to score points.

Kick-tennis is boring but it does lead to line outs which are how the game gets restarted. You're going to struggle with knowing which team is going to throw it back in, but for a photographer who doesn't care who wins it doesn't matter.
  4. Covered above.
  5. Do you mean when a guy is running with it? Because in that case it's like asking why not strip running backs? Go ahead and try. If you mean after a tackle, it's covered by Aramoro above.
  6. Photos of contact are fun, but they can get boring fast. I like the second one with the Gold 12 off loading, and the third of the black lock(?) being a pain in the rear end in the middle of the maul. Probably check the Sports Photos thread in Dork Room for more constructive criticism.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

London Irish hemorrhaging sponsors over the signing of known shitlord Paddy Jackson.

While Jackson was found not guilty of actually gang-raping a woman, merely leaving her in an awful state with serious bruises and bleeding and making fun of the fact in messages to his mates, it's nice to see some sponsors actually agree he's a massive oval office.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Keen to adopt a country

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Keen to adopt a country

There 6 countries left in the pot, and the 3 "most interesting" ones are still open.

I'll leave it open for another few days, but if anyone wants follow a second country in addition to your ACTUAL NEW LEGALLY DESIGNATED RUGBY NATIONALITY, I can wrangle things to make sure that you write about 2 countries playing in different groups :)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I can do one if you want. I am English, so please expect some bad opinions and general ignorance

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well that was an exciting finish to the Sharks/Stormers game.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
To countdown the last 100 days until the World Cup, Rugby World Magazine has published a list of it's Top 100 Players In The World, and it's kinda weird.

-

20: James Ryan (Ireland)

19: Jonathan Davies (Wales)

18: Jamie George (England)

17: Alex Goode (England)

16: Stuart Hogg (Scotland)

15: Ardie Savea (New Zealand)

14: Peceli Yato (Fiji)

13: Faf de Klerk (South Africa)

12: Billy Vunipola (England)

11: Pauline Bourdon (France)

10: Tadhg Furlong (Ireland)

9: Viliame Mata (Fiji)

8: Finn Russell (Scotland)

7: Ben Smith (New Zealand)

6: Owen Farrell (England)

5: Liam Williams (Wales)

4: Brodie Retallick (New Zealand)

3: Mako Vunipola (England)

2: Beauden Barrett (New Zealand)

1: Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Tyma posted:

There 6 countries left in the pot, and the 3 "most interesting" ones are still open.

I'll leave it open for another few days, but if anyone wants follow a second country in addition to your ACTUAL NEW LEGALLY DESIGNATED RUGBY NATIONALITY, I can wrangle things to make sure that you write about 2 countries playing in different groups :)

I'll adopt one of the remaining countries. The more inept the better.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is Pauline Bourdon that good? I've not watched much women's rugby.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Lots have been drawn. 3 countries are unadopted, but I'm happy to do write-ups for them :)

stavros880 posted:

I'll adopt one of the remaining countries. The more inept the better.

You're going to loving LOVE the next 3 months of your life!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Goon World Cup 2019

If you need me to re-assign you a new country, because you've accidentally been assigned your former (birth) country, speak up!

If you want me to re-assign you a new country, because your new country is scheduled to play against your former (birth) country, then tough poo poo. Your old country sucked, and that's why you decided to switch to [New Country]. VIVA LA [NEW COUNTRY]!

-

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Samu Manoa just retired... now I have to talk about AJ MacGinty or something.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Weirdly I have been watching a lot (any) sa super rugby because they have the least time difference. Can’t wait to provide the authentic South African rugby experience by making my posts text to speech mp3s read at half speed

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I can't wait to talk about... *checks notes*... who the gently caress is Ned Hanigan?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Woo, Georgia! Should be entertaining

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Japan. Prepare for my thoughts on how E Honda would be a great number 8.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

I can't wait to talk about... *checks notes*... who the gently caress is Ned Hanigan?

Lots of Aussies asking the same question...

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Sorry to interrupt WC chat but the Champions Cup draw has just finished:

As has the challenge cup if you're interested: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9bI0dGXoAAsQtd.jpg

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

oh no computer posted:

Sorry to interrupt WC chat but the Champions Cup draw has just finished:

As has the challenge cup if you're interested: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9bI0dGXoAAsQtd.jpg

RIP Ospreys

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Leinster cruising to the semis finals then.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

oh no computer posted:

Dragons back off to Siberia.

Aramoro posted:

RIP Ospreys

:same:

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Tyma posted:

You're going to loving LOVE the next 3 months of your life!

"Tyma" posted:

You're dead to me

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
The stupid nations Cup thing has died. It will not be mourned

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Was that the event that was going to exclude the Pacific Island teams from ever getting international matches? If so, good riddance.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

slothrop posted:

Was that the event that was going to exclude the Pacific Island teams from ever getting international matches? If so, good riddance.

I believe so.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

tarbrush posted:

The stupid nations Cup thing has died. It will not be mourned

:toot:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

I believe so.

loving good.

I'd like to see NZ (and maybe Aus) set up some regular matches with Fiji/Samoa/Tonga.

Make teams who visit in June play one or more of those nations.

Make a double header happen at Eden Park and pass 100% of the gate sales on to the PI team.

Set up a regular three or four way tournament instead of just having a boring 3 match NH v SH series every year.

I'm sure there are dozens of reasons these ideas can't work, but I'd like to see us moving towards something that financially assists the other teams in our region as well as giving them quality game time.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Same for Australia, but the top international teams (and yes, I recognise the mirth raised by including Australia in this) have a limited amount of tests they can play each year and any test against a PI nation has to come at the expense of someone else. It's not going to happen, too much money to lose.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

they've rejigged the pro fourteen conferences for next season

conference a:
glasgow (eco)
leinster (irl)
ulster (irl)
ospreys (wal)
dragons (wal)
zebre (ita)
cheetahs (rsa)

conference b:
edinbutgh (eco)
munster (irl)
connacht (irl)
cardiff (wal)
scarlets (wal)
benetton (ita)
southern kings (rsa)

idk seems a little unbalanced to me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah seems like a weird regig, putting Glasgow and Leinster in the same pool. The changes being

Munster <-> Leinster
Connacht <-> Ulster
Blues <-> Dragons

Looking at it they might have done it from the results from last year with a bit of jiggery pokery

Glasgow 81
Munster 77
Leinster 76
Ulster 63
Connacht 61
Ospreys 58
Benetton 57
Blues 54
Scarlets 52
Edinburgh 51
Cheetahs 46
Dragons 26
Kings 22
Zebre 19

So splitting the pool top to bottom would give you

Pool A
Glasgow
Leinster
Connacht
Benetton
Scarlets
Cheetahs
Kings

Pool B
Munster
Ulster
Ospreys
Blues
Edinburgh
Dragons
Zebre

The problem being both South African teams are in A and 3 Welsh Teams in B so swapped Kings and Zebre, Dragons and Benetton. Then just gently caress it swap Ulster - Connacht and Scarlets - Ospreys because gently caress you that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You order the table by nationality, so Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Italy, SA. Then you alternate the top team of each nation between conferences, the second team goes in the other conference. If they're a four team nation then the third team goes with the second and the fourth team stay with the first to balance out that nation's strength.

I think that works.