Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Stop posting and get working on Vicky3, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So the advice of “choose any power you want gently caress the big guys” is good advice. I jumped into a game as Baden because of a personal connection to the area and it has been learning the hard way, but learning quickly, and results when you get them are very satisfying. Still have a lot to figure out but being a tiny nation, particularly in the HRE, is legit because it requires a lot of strategic diplomacy to get anywhere and you really get to figure out how to maximize profits, etc because you have very little wiggle room with errors due to such low manpower or initial income.

I am now making 4 ducats a month, allied to Austria, Switzerland, and Bavaria, and have a 14k army and I feel (and arguably regionally am) powerful as hell.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

dialhforhero posted:

Kebabs are tasty I do say.

Turkish food is loving awesome in general.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
One thing I am still trying to figure out is assigning estates. I think I get the balance of loyalty/influence but the actual assigning estates is still a bit unclear.

I also don’t quite understand autonomy or religion. Autonomy plays into the estates so if someone could provide a jist of whats up I appreciate it. Reading guides as I play as well.

I had to convert to Reform (funny being a southern German state) from Catholicism because apparently I was the seat of the reform movement somehow and there was nothing I could do. My missionary was -104% effective so I just caved. Are things like that unavoidable? I am a bit upset as I had a lot of Papal influence. It was peaceful, though so I guess there’s that.

Also is there any way to get countries to NOT ally / end alliances with others?

I kind of hate Austria though since there is an Austrian emperor. It is hard to expand because either Austria defends who I want to attack (Ansbach) or starts a war CONVENIENTLY just in time to lock me out of attacking (Ravensburg). Meanwhile they NEVER join my wars.

Also dog-piling is definitely a huge problem. Is there any way to see how big a countries army is BEFORE you declare war? I hate how there is this hidden 15k army off screen that welps your poo poo after everything seemed to be going your way and you though you mopped all the other dudes up but NOPE here’s that random crusade ay we had chilling.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 14, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

dialhforhero posted:

I also don’t quite understand autonomy or religion. Autonomy plays into the estates so if someone could provide a jist of whats up I appreciate it. Reading guides as I play as well.

Autonomy is a rating of how much of the stuff a province produces you get. So if a province is 0% autonomous, you get all its manpower, tax and trade. If a province is 0% autonomous, you get none of it.

A province you've given to an estate has a floor of 25% autonomy, so you're giving up a quarter of its stuff. (Although note that that's just a floor - you lose nothing by giving a province that's more than 25% autonomous to an estate).

You can raise autonomy by 25% for a big bonus to unrest (people like being able to keep their stuff and not be conscripted) or lower it by 25% for a big penalty to unrest.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torgo2727 posted:

Aaaaaaaaand back to lurking I go! Probably easier to just google poo poo then asking about it here anyways. Jfc.
Hey you realized your oopsie and retracted so dont feel the need to stop posting. Its nice to see more people post in the thread (except Average Bear, apparently). And Google often returns old out of date answers so its better to post.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The reason you give provinces overall to estates is to gain access to their bigger interactions like "punching" them for extra monarch points every 25 years. Without enough influence you are reliant on random events pushing influence up or down before you can do more interactions.

Their more local benefit is while it sets that 25% floor to autonomy for a province, a category that is affected by autonomy acts as if it's been set to 0%. So for Nobility that means the local manpower and land force limit gives the full amount no matter the current autonomy while the rest are penalized as normal; therefore you will want to give them provinces that have high Military development and low scores in the other two categories. Similarly Burghers and Clergy are best suited for Diplomatic and Administrative development, respectively. On top of that, these estates provide a bonus to provinces under their control while they are loyal, the tradeoff being additional unrest while disloyal. Going back to Nobility, control gives the province +20% manpower while loyalty is above 40.

And a bit more on autonomy. Newly conquered provinces that were below 75% autonomous are now set to 75% when you gain control and tick down slowly as the years pass, more so when you're at peace. As a territory that is as low as it gets (though the game will keep track of the actual number). Stating the province but not spending the admin points on the province pushes that limit down to 50% and spending the admin points to make it fully yours kills the limit entirely.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hey you realized your oopsie and retracted so dont feel the need to stop posting. Its nice to see more people post in the thread (except Average Bear, apparently). And Google often returns old out of date answers so its better to post.

You told him to gently caress off without any explanation. He's not coming back, he PMed me.

And don't say "oopsie", you're a grown rear end man.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Just what I love to read in the EU4 thread, unsubtle Srebrenica apologia.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

One thing I am still trying to figure out is assigning estates. I think I get the balance of loyalty/influence but the actual assigning estates is still a bit unclear.

I only assign estates to provinces to get them above 40% influence (because that's the threshold for most of their interactions). Keeping them above 60% influence is good because you get the best level of national bonus from them, but if you're above 40% you can easily reach it without giving them more provinces. 75% influence is also good because it gets you the most monarch points, but an extra 50 mana every 20 years is hardly significant, and it puts you at risk of events giving them too much influence.

In the early game, especially if you're a small nation, it's good to specialize them - clergy for high tax provinces, merchants for high production provinces or those with trade power bonuses, nobles for high manpower provinces - and always on high autonomy provinces. In the mid to late game the effects are far less noticeable and not worth the effort of micromanaging so I just put them wherever.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 14, 2019

Gitro
May 29, 2013
it owns bvery hard that i came to make a low effort whingepost and instead got the ground floor of a monumentally stupid series of posts that apparently ran someone out of the thread (tbf being told to gently caress off is very hard to deal with imo). I love to post on somethingawful, where this is normal to do.

dont let bear bully you! you can say oopsie or whoopsadoodle or anything else you like, i will defend you with my posts and honour!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Average Bear posted:

You told him to gently caress off without any explanation. He's not coming back, he PMed me.

“oopsie” is what your new friend who you are excited about PMing with called it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody actually plays Vicky 2.

Hilarious hyperbole extremely top notch

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Games posters are such worms.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

miss the kk av

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I do too oddium... I do too

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Average Bear posted:

Alright here is a quick timeline to break this down for you since you seem a bit dense:
1.) Torgo2727 posts accidentally saying a racial slur
2.) I say gently caress off
3.) Torgo2727 realizes his error and edits his post, saying "I made an oopsie"
4.) I see that he edited his post and edit my gently caress off post
5.) I reply to him saying he is going to go back to lurking saying he shouldnt do that if he made an honest mistake, re-using the world "oopsie"
6.) You call me out for using the word "oopsie"

You're the one acting like an ignore angsty teenager so maybe you should try to instead act like a "grown rear end man".

For reference:

Torgo2727 posted:

I've made an oopsie with this post

A key takeaway here for me is that I could have included more info than "gently caress off" (though to be fair others had already called him out for using kebab) or simply not posted, but considering you are not being punished for being a racism apologist I might as well keep posting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Average Bear posted:

Games posters are such worms.

Nah you’re just a dumbass

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I apologize for both racism and Serbian war crimes. I'm sorry for both of these.

edipil
May 12, 2017

Come and check out a brand new weekly game in the mapgoons discord here.

It's starting up in a few weeks and we'd love to see some new players join up. We'll be using a balance mod created by Mountaineer and there will be a cash prize.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edipil posted:

Come and check out a brand new weekly game in the mapgoons discord here.

It's starting up in a few weeks and we'd love to see some new players join up. We'll be using a balance mod created by Mountaineer and there will be a cash prize.
I probably cant commit to a weekly game but I am curious about Mountaineer's balance mod, got any details you could share on that?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Average Bear posted:

Kebab is hardly the worst insult in the world, especially how its become sort of a cutesy shorthand for the ottomans. It originates from some hilariously broken English rant from a Serbian nationalist. It got a more sour taste more recently due to its usage by the NZ mosque shooter. That's the reason the woke bloodsuckers above jumped on you without explanation. At least, that's the causes belli. If you ask me it's just a stale meme in the EU4 community. Baguette is stale too but hardly offensive or offensively unfunny.

"kebab" is 4chan racism and as you yourself just said was quoted by a *literal mass murderer* so, you know.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 14, 2019

edipil
May 12, 2017

I probably cant commit to a weekly game but I am curious about Mountaineer's balance mod, got any details you could share on that?

Check out the mod link in the thread, he's posted a brief change log of the major things he's done.

You're welcome to still join the game even if you can't make all the sessions, just keep in mind the absentee policy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edipil posted:

Check out the mod link in the thread, he's posted a brief change log of the major things he's done.

You're welcome to still join the game even if you can't make all the sessions, just keep in mind the absentee policy.
Oh I didnt find it in the thread at first glance, hence why I asked :derp: I found it now. Thank you!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

It's mostly my attempt to fix things that bother me in our multiplayer games. The main changes are: Shattered world so there are no real major powers at the start, reduced discipline modifiers across the board, and significantly reduced mercenary availability. Still working on that last one, you can still get too many mercs with certain policies and ideas.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mountaineer posted:

It's mostly my attempt to fix things that bother me in our multiplayer games. The main changes are: Shattered world so there are no real major powers at the start, reduced discipline modifiers across the board, and significantly reduced mercenary availability. Still working on that last one, you can still get too many mercs with certain policies and ideas.
I read the steam page once i found the link to it and I definitely like the sound of every single thing that you are doing with it, so keep up the good work!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone know why I can't give a gift to my vassal, Spain? It wasn't letting me do it before because I had loans and was running a deficit but this month I have a budget surplus and it's giving me some undefined reason I can't give em money.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

it says right there, it's because of .

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
That's a well known bug; the reason is there, but the font size is just really small. Try zooming and enhancing.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Also dog-piling is definitely a huge problem. Is there any way to see how big a countries army is BEFORE you declare war? I hate how there is this hidden 15k army off screen that welps your poo poo after everything seemed to be going your way and you though you mopped all the other dudes up but NOPE here’s that random crusade ay we had chilling.

I don't think this got answered: you can check the ledger (L shortcut iirc) to look at exact army/manpower/navy counts for any country you want to fight. It's even searchable now, easier to use than ever before! You'll also see unit counts on the war window, below participating nations, and you can hover over each category to get the breakdown of exactly who is bringing what. One or both of those should ward off nasty surprises like that.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Gitro posted:

I don't think this got answered: you can check the ledger (L shortcut iirc) to look at exact army/manpower/navy counts for any country you want to fight. It's even searchable now, easier to use than ever before! You'll also see unit counts on the war window, below participating nations, and you can hover over each category to get the breakdown of exactly who is bringing what. One or both of those should ward off nasty surprises like that.

Thanks.

I was reading a guide and found the ledger and it is like a whole new world of info

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
greater serbia pics bing

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Everyone talks about Greater Serbia, but I gotta wonder what's so great about it? Now Greater Slovenia is a thinking man's national ambition.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Space Bat posted:

Everyone talks about Greater Serbia, but I gotta wonder what's so great about it? Now Greater Slovenia is a thinking man's national ambition.

I've killed men for less.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Space Bat posted:

Nah Greater Slovakia is the thing.
Oh you Beautiful Baby Blue Nitra :allears:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The only way to achieve neutrality as Switzerland is to conquer everything else.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Radical Neutrality

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rocks fall, Chaotic Neutrals die.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I have a bunch of claims from an event in another country, in a place where I have no direct frontier with, as there is a small country in the middle (allied to anally of mine, so I can't just swallow it along the way)

Can I conquer and core it despite not being adjacent? Does coring range only apply to overseas/coastal stuff, or will it let me grab and core stuff in just a bit further away? Does having a claim affect it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Coring range only applies to coastal stuff (landlocked provinces are always 9999 away), you or one of your subjects must be adjacent in order for you to grab those provinces in conquest.

There is an Age of Revolutions thing that does allow you to grab any province but you're going to be waiting for quite some time; it's the last age.