Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This is why halflings are the best: they love food and beer and the outdoors but are also very humble and quick to laugh, not snooty, humourless jerks like elves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
All that said, it's absolutely worth playing a dwarf in Arcanum, armour restrictions notwithstanding, because it opens up a bunch of great unique dialogue with a couple of the recruitable companions and, iirc, an entirely new, fairly lengthy dialogue tree in a major storyline quest.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I remember playing multiplayer Arcanum and deciding to do mage pistol duels.

I also recall early on in the game I was broke and had to sell off some decent magical gauntlets I was holding onto.

I discovered these would end up in a chest in the store owners house. This meant I could break in during the night, steal them and sell them back.

However having a very low lockpick skill made for many, many reloads.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Jun 13, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zore posted:

Shocking that goons identify with the short, fat alcoholics who live in the basement and shun the light over the personable and attractive people who enjoy the outdoors.
excuse me i identify with skeletons

not animated skeletons just like, ones sitting down in a corner slowly falling apart

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Zereth posted:

not animated skeletons just like, ones sitting down in a corner slowly falling apart
No doubt you'll pleased to know that you too can find some token representation in Arcanum.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/8AS5chA.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/fTUcCo1.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/jy6IbDQ.gifv

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Angry Diplomat posted:

:lol: oh god, browsing LPArchive reminded me of my old, unfinished glitchy exploit run of the legendarily sadistic roguelike IVAN, and lo and behold, the roguelike megathread I posted it in is still up somehow.

It lasted four updates before I got busy at work and subsequently lost the saves, and got some great :stare: reactions from the other folks in the megathread. Might be worth a read if you're into that sort of thing.

This is magical and I wish you had done more. Is there any way you can be persuaded to do more of this?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

BogDew posted:

I remember playing multiplayer Arcanum and deciding to do mage pistol duels.

I also recall early on in the game I was broke and had to sell off some decent magical gauntlets I was holding onto.

I discovered these would end up in a chest in the store owners house. This meant I could break in during the night, steal them and sell them back.

However having a very low lockpick skill made for many, many reloads.

the best way to get gold in arcanum was actually pretty funny: NPCs would pick up items that they found, and would equip them if they were better than the items they already had. Fairly early on you can find a pair of magical gauntlets which are cursed to do poison damage over time if you wear them. They have pretty good armour value, so if you drop them in front of an NPC, they'll wear them. You could go do this to every shopkeeper and rob them blind while they were dead, then just use the scrolls of resurrection you stole from the magic shop to revive them. Not only did this not count as a crime, reviving them would actually boost your relation with them enough that they'd give you a discount in the future.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

This is magical and I wish you had done more. Is there any way you can be persuaded to do more of this?

Sadly (but also happily), IVAN is now under development again, and all of those wacky glitches have been patched out. rear end in a top hat banana sorcery simply isn't possible anymore, alas.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

That car is just running in the 90s, it's giving me a serious case of whatever the opposite of deja vu is.

Beat of the rising sun

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This has almost certainly been posted here but since I just finished God of War I could watch it without worrying about spoilers, and it's pretty primo stuff. Spoilers, possibly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_gvG6fxnCo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoW has a story beyond "kill poo poo for revenge"?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

KillHour posted:

no but it likes to think it does now

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

KillHour posted:

Yes, the new GoW’s story is quite good and it even manages to make Kratos a decent character.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Stare-Out posted:

This has almost certainly been posted here but since I just finished God of War I could watch it without worrying about spoilers, and it's pretty primo stuff. Spoilers, possibly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_gvG6fxnCo

im confused. are companies excited about/promoting their games glitches? “lol wasnt that funny how defective this game is? haha you should buy it.”

Veotax
May 16, 2006

No, it's about how goofy and broken games are during development. All the footage in that is from dev-builds

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

I know weapons from the Metro are notoriously unsafe but I'm pretty sure they're not suppose to do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g0PNBkmWWA

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

im confused. are companies excited about/promoting their games glitches? “lol wasnt that funny how defective this game is? haha you should buy it.”

Have you just never seen a blooper reel before or what.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

It has some cool moments and scenarios that are more impressive when they come as a surprise, like scrambling around on the back of a dragon in flight or getting thrown around by the mile-long reanimated corpse of a giant

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Have you just never seen a blooper reel before or what.

that was posted by playstation, but i didnt know it was pre release. i dont really play video games anymore. i just like this thread

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sadly (but also happily), IVAN is now under development again, and all of those wacky glitches have been patched out. rear end in a top hat banana sorcery simply isn't possible anymore, alas.

Son of a mother gently caress

I lost so many hours to that limb slot machine game, I am so crazy happy to hear that it's back under active dev

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Petit Gregory posted:

I know weapons from the Metro are notoriously unsafe but I'm pretty sure they're not suppose to do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g0PNBkmWWA

In metro currency, that firefight would cost as much as a new house (subway hovel).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Somfin posted:

Son of a mother gently caress

I lost so many hours to that limb slot machine game, I am so crazy happy to hear that it's back under active dev

There's a whole rear end new dungeon under development, now mostly done IIRC - it's part of an "evil" path through the game that you can start by bringing the Imperialist's letter to the necromancer in the dungeon under Attnam, instead of taking it to Frog Pope.

A ton of new items and material types have been added, too, including lots of wacky new enchanted and unique equipment. There's a lot to play with, and more ways to die than ever.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Angry Diplomat posted:

A ton of new items and material types have been added, too, including lots of wacky new enchanted and unique equipment. There's a lot to play with, and more ways to die than ever.

Is winning still considered an exploit state/bug? Because 'winning IVAN' has to be up there as one of the better bugs thematically, at least.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Is winning still considered an exploit state/bug? Because 'winning IVAN' has to be up there as one of the better bugs thematically, at least.

I'm not sure what the devteam's objectives are, but IVAN is still just as ball-crushingly hard as ever - moreso, even, since a lot of the wacky logically questionable exploits no longer work (or at least not as well as they used to). It seems like they're trying to fine-tune the balance to maintain that "you can theoretically win this game fairly, it can potentially be done, but let's be honest: you won't" quality IVAN's always had.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is IVAN the one with the artifact weapon mace that causes explosions when you swing it, but does not actually make you immune to those explosions. I've played A LOT of roguelikes and that's up there with my favorite weapons of all time.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Babe Magnet posted:

is IVAN the one with the artifact weapon mace that causes explosions when you swing it, but does not actually make you immune to those explosions. I've played A LOT of roguelikes and that's up there with my favorite weapons of all time.

I An is the one where an entirely legit strategy is to cast change material on yourself and pray that you turn into dragonscale.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

That sounds like something that might also be in Elona.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Crawl also used to have that in the form of the artifact mace Firestarter, but I think that gives you at least SOME fire resistance now. That's still not the same as immunity, mind you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Crawl also used to have that in the form of the artifact mace Firestarter, but I think that gives you at least SOME fire resistance now. That's still not the same as immunity, mind you.

crawl still has this, it's called the Devastator

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"Why is the best ranged weapon in the game throwing a mace?" "Because roguelikes."

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Zereth posted:

That sounds like something that might also be in Elona.

Nah.

If it was, it'd also be a little girl.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Yes, that's the artifact mace of either Legifer, the justice god, or whatever the evil anti-Legifer guy is. I forget which. There are also whips that polymorph enemies (into totally random stuff which can and will be vastly stronger) and a hammer that shoots lightning and does not grant lightning immunity (lightning bounces between targets including you, and always hits you in the groin, so you WILL die of an obliterated groin if you use this without high lightning resistance).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

IVAN sounds amazing to watch someone play, but I gotta say I'm thoroughly disappointed they patched out the ridiculous monkey cheese poo poo like Peel Mountain and similar. I hate rougelikes. Especially ball-crushingly hard ones like IVAN. But I would play one where I can cheese my way through in hilarious ways like that. So long as I can do something completely stupid that logically could potentially work and be hilarious, I'll deal with a lot in a game.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

IVAN sounds amazing to watch someone play, but I gotta say I'm thoroughly disappointed they patched out the ridiculous monkey cheese poo poo like Peel Mountain and similar. I hate rougelikes. Especially ball-crushingly hard ones like IVAN. But I would play one where I can cheese my way through in hilarious ways like that. So long as I can do something completely stupid that logically could potentially work and be hilarious, I'll deal with a lot in a game.

Relatively few really follow this design logic, sadly. Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead is pretty free-form and allows you to (for example) build remote-controlled tank drones to run over zombies with, and Nethack is the classic example of 'a million little interactions', but trying to build that kind of game means spending years just working on what would be called feature creep anywhere else. I guess Elona has some similarities, in the number of batshit insane paths to power and destruction there are, but I personally somehow found it even more punishing than Nethack. It's not as well-represented a design choice in roguelikes as it would be in, say, building games like Minecraft, Terraria, Factorio, and the like, where uncovering interactions in the world and then ruthlessly exploiting them is an explicit element of the gameplay loop.

The only game I can think of that commits to that idea 120% is Space Station 13, and that's really kind of a sandbox that's entirely built around its own insanity and defies easy genre classification (even if it is traditionally meant as a 'hidden-role' game in the vein of Mafia or Werewolf). And you only need to look at SS13's fantastic bug history to know how trying to develop that way goes, from being able to steal and eat UI elements, to having 13-deep-fried-but-still-living people pop out of someone who commits suicide with a chainsaw like a macabre Matryoshka doll, to blowing up the station using nothing but beakers of water to PopeCrunch's immortalized frustration. It's just that at some point someone crossed out the word 'bug' on their devlist and scrawled 'features' over it, and they sometimes decide some 'features' are too powerful to let the playerbase have.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

You can still do some stuff like that, it just takes more cleverness, skill, and opportunistic awareness.

My last run involved using Peel Mountain to cripple Huang Ming Pong; I adventured through most of the starting dungeon to build unarmed skill and amass tons of broken bottles, then returned home to buy and eat every last banana I could afford. I then placed Peel & Glass Mountain in the path of the banana pickers coming home to drop off their harvests and waited until one of them wiped out badly enough to die from it. I took his bananas, but instead of eating them, I ate his corpse to attain max satiation. I dropped P&G Mountain in front of Huang's house and dropped the pilfered bananas behind it one by one in order to lure him over it repeatedly. When he began bleeding profusely, I ran down the stairs to the arena and beat him in a single punch.

Banana kicking might be gone, but Peel Mountain's terrible power is eternal. You just gotta do some murder and cannibalism to call upon it, is all :v:

Angry Diplomat has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Jun 15, 2019

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
If you want Crawl, it's the https://www.chrono.gg deal of the day for 5$!

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Kikas posted:

If you want Crawl, it's the https://www.chrono.gg deal of the day for 5$!

Wrong Crawl.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Relatively few really follow this design logic, sadly. Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead is pretty free-form and allows you to (for example) build remote-controlled tank drones to run over zombies with, and Nethack is the classic example of 'a million little interactions', but trying to build that kind of game means spending years just working on what would be called feature creep anywhere else. I guess Elona has some similarities, in the number of batshit insane paths to power and destruction there are, but I personally somehow found it even more punishing than Nethack. It's not as well-represented a design choice in roguelikes as it would be in, say, building games like Minecraft, Terraria, Factorio, and the like, where uncovering interactions in the world and then ruthlessly exploiting them is an explicit element of the gameplay loop.

The only game I can think of that commits to that idea 120% is Space Station 13, and that's really kind of a sandbox that's entirely built around its own insanity and defies easy genre classification (even if it is traditionally meant as a 'hidden-role' game in the vein of Mafia or Werewolf). And you only need to look at SS13's fantastic bug history to know how trying to develop that way goes, from being able to steal and eat UI elements, to having 13-deep-fried-but-still-living people pop out of someone who commits suicide with a chainsaw like a macabre Matryoshka doll, to blowing up the station using nothing but beakers of water to PopeCrunch's immortalized frustration. It's just that at some point someone crossed out the word 'bug' on their devlist and scrawled 'features' over it, and they sometimes decide some 'features' are too powerful to let the playerbase have.

Yeah, I revel in the insane bullshit that you can get up to in SS13. I'm the guy on the first19th(??? gently caress, I thought it was earlier on) page of that thread that broke the temperature system and created a perfectly blue shifted fire in engineering that burned several orders of magnitude hotter than the hottest supernova. I was there when fryermancy and jugglemancy were discovered and abused to amazing effect. And I will forever repost Popecrunches rant about chemistry in that thread if the subject comes up. It's an absolutely batshit collection of bugs and glitches that sometimes results in a coherent game, and I love everything about it and wish that there were more like it out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Coucho Marx posted:

Nah.

If it was, it'd also be a little girl.
I know there's a sword which has a chance when it hits to "Bring an End", which causes the message "Let's Ragnarok" to appear in the message log and fills the loving map with dragons and giants and poo poo who fight each other

(It's normally in the hands of some guy in a peaceful town, but there are a few ways to get enemies in there, even without player intervention. Last I checked, dirinking from wells/fountains could sometimes infect you with a chestburster, and NPCs would sometimes do that on their own. So a townsfolk gets chestbursted, and then the guy hits it with his sword, and WHOOPS TOWN'S RUINED)

This isn't actually a glitch, that's just how Elona loving rolls. I think you can actually restore the town by buying a nuke, nuking the town off the map, then waiting several in-game months for it to be rebuilt, though